The *NEW* Good Morning Thread! - Page 639 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:18 PM   #25521  
Oh no, not again...

Jim, Mike, Good to hear you guys and all yours in the South are all Ok; - that was a nasty storm and the most powerful one to hit the US in over 50 years.
Not much happening on my side of the fence, - just more work and Allan, I can understand how you feel, I can't put my finger on it but I feel like a bag of s--t too. Just fatigue and I dunno, just blah. Was thinking of turning in early tonight, better do that than start in on something that'll keep me up.
That old Verge pocketwatch is holding out for 12 hours, it only does one wind on the mainspring so that tells me there's a lot of drag in it somewhere. The likelihood of me being able to find out which part is primarily responsible is probably not going to happen, but now I understand why it came to me soaked in oil and with a broken mainspring. The preload on the mainspring had to be torqued up to maximum in order for it to run. That tells me it's pretty much done, It needs to be completely re-made and not just rebuilt. So that's more than what I can do, so I give up. I got it to work, and that's the end of the journey for me with it. Good lesson for me, just because the balance still swings doesn't mean it'll work. Kinda like just because the butterflies are free it could be assumed a carb could work, that usually isn't the case. Dan, if your brother's watch quit and just keeps winding then it's the mainspring, and there are parts still available for that. It's a fairly easy job on an Elgin, takes about an hour if one has the right tools and access to new parts. Get me the serial number of that watch and I can tell you which part it is, how old the watch is, and what model the movement is.

Well, that's it for me, I was supposed to finish an article, but it ain't gonna happen. I'm turning in...Good night all!
Nailheadcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 10:44 PM   #25522  

Marc, I'll try to get that info from my nephew, as my brother passed away a couple of years ago. Hopefully he didn't pawn it or sell it.
1969w3155 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 07:55 AM   #25523  

mawn'in

A mite chili down here

Today is plant fescue seeds on the new graves and cover with top soil.It's been too hot up until now to get the new grass growing

Allan, I wasn't familiar with that guy but he's pretty funny

I had one of the most idiotic arguments with my ex trash pick up guy. I pay 3 months in advance for service to come into the drive [by the barn] toss two trash cans into his truck, turn around and leave. On the first Monday of last month [his normal pick up day] I received a letter from his wife, saying he would not longer pick up on the property, he wanted me to take it to the curb.

Later in the month my bookkeeper wrote him a letter saying, since you canceled service, we would like a refund of 2 months payment. . After waiting a few weeks and hearing nothing but rickets, I text the idiot. LONG series of texts made short, he Insist I canceled the service and can't get it thru his thick skull, that the service I paid for [and wanted] was for him to pick it up where he always had. AND changing his service w/o asking me was [in my mind] the same as canceling.

Anyway, I spose that's why he's driving a garbage e truck

End of rant

Have a great day Olds friends
Jamesbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #25524  

Evening everyone. Still alive. Hope you have everything good aswell.

Ive been super-busy at work, and now when our little boy is learning all kinds of new things, i purposefully dropped out of even opening the computer. Used every
​​precious minute with my wife and boy.
Been visiting every now and then here, but with a phone. As now, but decided to take the time to type something.

Its 10 weeks to go at max, then ~3-4 month vacation. Never been been happier than on current company. Not a single day i didnt want to go work. Always a joy. And quess what? At middle of december, our owner ( single-owned company) flies us to Fuengirola, and hosts us at hotel, everything with his expense. Thats generous!

​​​​​Now i have my engine waiting at machinery for pick-up at last,when i have the time, and heada are half-ways. Next summer were burning some rubber!

​​​​​​Hows it on your world?

Have a GREAT WEEKEND!

Ps. I visited grocery today. Some special day with professionals on every area suggesting something. Well, i of course just shopped for beer and sausage.
They suggested me beer. VICTORY prima pils. What a crap. I already quessed it when he said its from US You should taste some Eastern-Europe Lagers to know ehat good beer tastes!
Inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:06 AM   #25525  
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another day like yesterday, except we started at 6 instead of 4. Got out about the same time, went to the Awful house, but now I don't know what to do. I could go back to the shop for a little while but I want to stay home because Tiger is going to jail later and I don't want to be gone all afternoon and then come home and take him to jail. Maybe we'll find something to do outside so he can run around. He won't have that chance for a few days.

Jamesbo some people aren't going to get it no matter what. This is hard evidence of that.

Marc I have several watches that keep erratic time. I suppose it stems from me winding the hell out of them, until the winder thing doesn't move anymore. I stopped wearing a watch when I started working at the airport, where there's a clock every two feet.

Okay gonna find something to do. Happy Friday everyone.
slantflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 05:45 PM   #25526  
Oh no, not again...

Good Afternnon everyone,

Well, the weekend blizzard started promptly at 4:00 this afternoon, so this weekend is going to be a washout for driving a convertible around. I was hoping to get at least another weekend in before the permafrost really hit. Looks like this might pretty well be it, can't see it warming up enough until late April again.
Jamesbo,: Ok, so he's no "*****, the smartest garbageman in the world". By the fact that he's having his wife write letters and then doesn't get it implies he's probably financed on a shoestring. He probably doesn't have $5 to even pay for the gas to go up your driveway. I've never heard of "private" companies doing trash removal, around here the municipality takes care of it. It's what I pay property taxes for, (as well as a small fee every month).
Mike: You probably work around a lot of high voltage electrical motors and stuff, there's a good chance that all of your wind-up watches are magnetized. Constantly winding them doesn't hurt, if it did every automatic made would run like a toilet. Magnetism will make them run erratic, as will allowing them to go too long between servicing. A "modern" Incabloc watch is shockproof, but not dirt proof. Gum up the balance with coagulated oils and years of body sweat and possible immersion or two in who knows what will also make it run stupid. That's what's going on with my Oldsmobile Service Guild watch, I have to totally strip the balance apart and clean each microscopic part. It doesn't take much to slow down or stop a movement.
I took an old pocket watch to the Nickel plant I work at and the damn thing picked up a charge and ruined the hairspring. Good quality mechanical watches and blue-collar labour don't go well together, unless it's a cheap Timex. Those things you can beat with a hammer and try and polarize with an arc welder and they'll still keep running.
Since it's snowing and I can't do much outside or in the yard I'll probably fix up the 2 World War 2 vintage German-made wristwatches I have here. They're tough and cheap, built simply, made of cheap metal, and are pretty straight forward.They are 15 jewel movements, so once tuned up, they'll run fairly true. The one is actually quite attractive and I'm looking forward to being able to wear it. The other, yeah, the case is pretty crappy. I was able to get brand-new NOS parts for both out of England, (!?) and they just arrived today. Both currently are running, albeit not that great. But then again, what else can you expect for 22 Reichmarks? (About 5 dollars in 1939)
I'm really itching to get to work on my Olds; this would be a perfect weekend to rip down a motor, - but I can't get to it anymore. It's where it is until spring.
Have a great evening!
Old October 12th, 2018, 08:58 PM   #25527  
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:
I hope Allan is feeling better. He must really be under the weather since he has not been on here like he usually is. Lucy and I started our walk this morning and got less than half a mile and it started raining. It was not really hard but we turned around and came home. Good thing we did because it has been raining all day. We still have lots of rain in he forecast and heavy rains for tomorrow. Several of us were supposed to be in the car corral at the State Fair tomorrow but this is off. I am disappointed since it is always a fun time. Everybody brings some breakfast items and we spread it all out and have breakfast. Not this year. I just watched the weather forecast and after the rain stops early next week a cold front is coming in and the temps are getting down into the low 40's. That would probably be a heat wave for you guys in Canada this time of year but it is dang cold for Texas. Crazy weather we are having. Marc, you mention Timex watches. Years ago (probably in the 70's) one of my wife's older cousins husband actually found a Timex watch in the bottom of the Buffalo River in Arkansas. It was still running. He wrote Timex and they actually filmed he and his wife recreating the event. He got paid every time the commercial ran and over the years amounted to several thousand dollars. True story. That is about all I have for tonight. Have a good weekend my friends.
Glenn
redoldsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:01 AM   #25528  

mawn'in

Crisp and cool but no rain

Headed norte at fist light

Nailhead, so what's the deal with Timex, Cheep watch that werks and takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Are the made like a muncie M -22 [stronger gears] Why aren't more expensive [ much more] as durable
Inquiring minds etc I may actually learn something on this thread

Allan, Hope ya get ta feeling better, You're missing out on part of your favorite season ;[curling]

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old October 13th, 2018, 09:44 AM   #25529  
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Morning All:
It has been raining all morning and is expected to rain well into the night. Since there was no state fair today it looks like I will be looking for stuff to do inside today. I have a few odds and ends I can do. My wife and I may go over to my brothers today and visit with he and his wife who just got out of the hospital after a couple days. His wife has had MS for almost 40 years and is bed ridden. I admire my brother for the car he gives her. She should probably be in a home but my brother makes extraordinary efforts to keep her home. Have a good day everybody.
Glenn
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:30 PM   #25530  

Some pics from the small Pentwater show. Cool temps, but nice. The Red '69 Impala Custom, and the black '57 Chevy truck were my favorites. The pumpkin pics are of a co worker, who brought the pumpkins to the feed grain place to get them weighed, but they were closed. He estimates the big one @ 350-375#'s. Not as good as last year, as he had one @ 638#'s. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tD7UxXHcj3p1qZ879
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:48 PM   #25531  
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The Impala and the 57 pickup are neat but my two favorites were the 40 Ford coupe and I really like the old black 40's Chevy pickup. Those pumpkins will make lots of pies. Thanks for sharing.
Glenn
Old October 13th, 2018, 09:08 PM   #25532  
Oh no, not again...

I love that 40 Ford coupe and believe it or not, the green Ford pickup picture before it. Call me a philistine, I don't care; - it's nice to see a dead-stock 40 Ford coupe that isn't hot rodded to hell and a restored Ford pickup; all of the ones I owned were beat to death and rotten, so this is refreshing. Thanks for sharing!

Allan: hope you're feeling better...
Glenn, sounds like your brother has a big heart and really loves his wife. Refreshing to see in this day and age. We need more people like him on this earth.
Jamesbo, Timex made cheap no-jewel movements first in Germany and then in the UK. They'd be made out of plate steel instead of brass or white metal. The secret to their success was that their pivots were all short and the movements compact. This way they could take a beating and still run. I have a number of them here and they all work, even though they're all from the 70s and have never been cleaned or cared for. The problem was they also used cheap cases which were all contemporary styled, so they began to look like hell after a few years. Soon only old guys on a fixed income were wearing them, and they couldn't compete with all the cheap digitals and quartz movements coming out of Asia. So they got into bed with the digital movement and made some pretty indestructible but revoltingly cheap digitals and "indiglow" style things that could be purchased at gas stations. But yes, technology wise, they're all pretty nasty and ugly, they're more or less the Bic lighters of the watch world.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #25533  
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What a long, long, very long day yesterday. Got up at 4, got to the airport for my 8oclock flight, had drama picking up the Uhaul, got all the stuff loaded and headed out at 130(eastern time). The guy said there was construction on I-10 so I should take Rt 59 up to I-20 and go straight across. Sounded reasonable, until I was half way to Shreveport and realized I was driving almost due north, and taking that route put an extra 4 1/2 hours onto the trip. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been in 4 1/2 hours of construction traffic. Drove through rain most of the day. Finally at 230 I had had enough and stopped in a rest stop for a couple hours, then got home around 630. Slept good because it's quiet in the house.

So, this afternoon I'm going over to the shop and unloading all this stuff. I have the truck until Tuesday so I don't know what else I could move. I'm running close to my mileage limit thanks to the out of the way trip, but should be okay. Only a couple things I needed help moving, we'll see how I do by myself. They might just get pushed off the back.

Dan I think my favorite out of that bunch is the 46 Chevy pickup.

Glenn your brother is his wife's angel. Prayers that she can stay at home as long as possible.

Almost chilly today. It's 70* out now, and sunny. Got a few other things to do as well, as long as Tiger isn't here, then I can get him tomorrow and not worry about being gone after he gets home. I'm off work until Tuesday, I don't really need to be but this way I have a couple days to myself. That guy in Texas was nice, but I'm glad I'm done with him. Long, drawn out deal getting everything here.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.
slantflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:28 AM   #25534  

Tis Monday
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #25535  

Quote:
Tis Monday
Yep.