The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old October 11th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Oh no, not again...

Jim, Mike, Good to hear you guys and all yours in the South are all Ok; - that was a nasty storm and the most powerful one to hit the US in over 50 years.
Not much happening on my side of the fence, - just more work and Allan, I can understand how you feel, I can't put my finger on it but I feel like a bag of s--t too. Just fatigue and I dunno, just blah. Was thinking of turning in early tonight, better do that than start in on something that'll keep me up.
That old Verge pocketwatch is holding out for 12 hours, it only does one wind on the mainspring so that tells me there's a lot of drag in it somewhere. The likelihood of me being able to find out which part is primarily responsible is probably not going to happen, but now I understand why it came to me soaked in oil and with a broken mainspring. The preload on the mainspring had to be torqued up to maximum in order for it to run. That tells me it's pretty much done, It needs to be completely re-made and not just rebuilt. So that's more than what I can do, so I give up. I got it to work, and that's the end of the journey for me with it. Good lesson for me, just because the balance still swings doesn't mean it'll work. Kinda like just because the butterflies are free it could be assumed a carb could work, that usually isn't the case. Dan, if your brother's watch quit and just keeps winding then it's the mainspring, and there are parts still available for that. It's a fairly easy job on an Elgin, takes about an hour if one has the right tools and access to new parts. Get me the serial number of that watch and I can tell you which part it is, how old the watch is, and what model the movement is.

Well, that's it for me, I was supposed to finish an article, but it ain't gonna happen. I'm turning in...Good night all!
Old October 11th, 2018, 10:44 PM

Marc, I'll try to get that info from my nephew, as my brother passed away a couple of years ago. Hopefully he didn't pawn it or sell it.
Old October 12th, 2018, 07:55 AM

mawn'in

A mite chili down here

Today is plant fescue seeds on the new graves and cover with top soil.It's been too hot up until now to get the new grass growing

Allan, I wasn't familiar with that guy but he's pretty funny

I had one of the most idiotic arguments with my ex trash pick up guy. I pay 3 months in advance for service to come into the drive [by the barn] toss two trash cans into his truck, turn around and leave. On the first Monday of last month [his normal pick up day] I received a letter from his wife, saying he would not longer pick up on the property, he wanted me to take it to the curb.

Later in the month my bookkeeper wrote him a letter saying, since you canceled service, we would like a refund of 2 months payment. . After waiting a few weeks and hearing nothing but rickets, I text the idiot. LONG series of texts made short, he Insist I canceled the service and can't get it thru his thick skull, that the service I paid for [and wanted] was for him to pick it up where he always had. AND changing his service w/o asking me was [in my mind] the same as canceling.

Anyway, I spose that's why he's driving a garbage e truck

End of rant

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 12th, 2018, 10:56 AM

Evening everyone. Still alive. Hope you have everything good aswell.

Ive been super-busy at work, and now when our little boy is learning all kinds of new things, i purposefully dropped out of even opening the computer. Used every
​​precious minute with my wife and boy.
Been visiting every now and then here, but with a phone. As now, but decided to take the time to type something.

Its 10 weeks to go at max, then ~3-4 month vacation. Never been been happier than on current company. Not a single day i didnt want to go work. Always a joy. And quess what? At middle of december, our owner ( single-owned company) flies us to Fuengirola, and hosts us at hotel, everything with his expense. Thats generous!

​​​​​Now i have my engine waiting at machinery for pick-up at last,when i have the time, and heada are half-ways. Next summer were burning some rubber!

​​​​​​Hows it on your world?

Have a GREAT WEEKEND!

Ps. I visited grocery today. Some special day with professionals on every area suggesting something. Well, i of course just shopped for beer and sausage.
They suggested me beer. VICTORY prima pils. What a crap. I already quessed it when he said its from US You should taste some Eastern-Europe Lagers to know ehat good beer tastes!
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another day like yesterday, except we started at 6 instead of 4. Got out about the same time, went to the Awful house, but now I don't know what to do. I could go back to the shop for a little while but I want to stay home because Tiger is going to jail later and I don't want to be gone all afternoon and then come home and take him to jail. Maybe we'll find something to do outside so he can run around. He won't have that chance for a few days.

Jamesbo some people aren't going to get it no matter what. This is hard evidence of that.

Marc I have several watches that keep erratic time. I suppose it stems from me winding the hell out of them, until the winder thing doesn't move anymore. I stopped wearing a watch when I started working at the airport, where there's a clock every two feet.

Okay gonna find something to do. Happy Friday everyone.
Old October 12th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good Afternnon everyone,

Well, the weekend blizzard started promptly at 4:00 this afternoon, so this weekend is going to be a washout for driving a convertible around. I was hoping to get at least another weekend in before the permafrost really hit. Looks like this might pretty well be it, can't see it warming up enough until late April again.
Jamesbo,: Ok, so he's no "*****, the smartest garbageman in the world". By the fact that he's having his wife write letters and then doesn't get it implies he's probably financed on a shoestring. He probably doesn't have $5 to even pay for the gas to go up your driveway. I've never heard of "private" companies doing trash removal, around here the municipality takes care of it. It's what I pay property taxes for, (as well as a small fee every month).
Mike: You probably work around a lot of high voltage electrical motors and stuff, there's a good chance that all of your wind-up watches are magnetized. Constantly winding them doesn't hurt, if it did every automatic made would run like a toilet. Magnetism will make them run erratic, as will allowing them to go too long between servicing. A "modern" Incabloc watch is shockproof, but not dirt proof. Gum up the balance with coagulated oils and years of body sweat and possible immersion or two in who knows what will also make it run stupid. That's what's going on with my Oldsmobile Service Guild watch, I have to totally strip the balance apart and clean each microscopic part. It doesn't take much to slow down or stop a movement.
I took an old pocket watch to the Nickel plant I work at and the damn thing picked up a charge and ruined the hairspring. Good quality mechanical watches and blue-collar labour don't go well together, unless it's a cheap Timex. Those things you can beat with a hammer and try and polarize with an arc welder and they'll still keep running.
Since it's snowing and I can't do much outside or in the yard I'll probably fix up the 2 World War 2 vintage German-made wristwatches I have here. They're tough and cheap, built simply, made of cheap metal, and are pretty straight forward.They are 15 jewel movements, so once tuned up, they'll run fairly true. The one is actually quite attractive and I'm looking forward to being able to wear it. The other, yeah, the case is pretty crappy. I was able to get brand-new NOS parts for both out of England, (!?) and they just arrived today. Both currently are running, albeit not that great. But then again, what else can you expect for 22 Reichmarks? (About 5 dollars in 1939)
I'm really itching to get to work on my Olds; this would be a perfect weekend to rip down a motor, - but I can't get to it anymore. It's where it is until spring.
Have a great evening!
Old October 12th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:
I hope Allan is feeling better. He must really be under the weather since he has not been on here like he usually is. Lucy and I started our walk this morning and got less than half a mile and it started raining. It was not really hard but we turned around and came home. Good thing we did because it has been raining all day. We still have lots of rain in he forecast and heavy rains for tomorrow. Several of us were supposed to be in the car corral at the State Fair tomorrow but this is off. I am disappointed since it is always a fun time. Everybody brings some breakfast items and we spread it all out and have breakfast. Not this year. I just watched the weather forecast and after the rain stops early next week a cold front is coming in and the temps are getting down into the low 40's. That would probably be a heat wave for you guys in Canada this time of year but it is dang cold for Texas. Crazy weather we are having. Marc, you mention Timex watches. Years ago (probably in the 70's) one of my wife's older cousins husband actually found a Timex watch in the bottom of the Buffalo River in Arkansas. It was still running. He wrote Timex and they actually filmed he and his wife recreating the event. He got paid every time the commercial ran and over the years amounted to several thousand dollars. True story. That is about all I have for tonight. Have a good weekend my friends.
Glenn
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:01 AM

mawn'in

Crisp and cool but no rain

Headed norte at fist light

Nailhead, so what's the deal with Timex, Cheep watch that werks and takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Are the made like a muncie M -22 [stronger gears] Why aren't more expensive [ much more] as durable
Inquiring minds etc I may actually learn something on this thread

Allan, Hope ya get ta feeling better, You're missing out on part of your favorite season ;[curling]

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old October 13th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Morning All:
It has been raining all morning and is expected to rain well into the night. Since there was no state fair today it looks like I will be looking for stuff to do inside today. I have a few odds and ends I can do. My wife and I may go over to my brothers today and visit with he and his wife who just got out of the hospital after a couple days. His wife has had MS for almost 40 years and is bed ridden. I admire my brother for the car he gives her. She should probably be in a home but my brother makes extraordinary efforts to keep her home. Have a good day everybody.
Glenn
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:30 PM

Some pics from the small Pentwater show. Cool temps, but nice. The Red '69 Impala Custom, and the black '57 Chevy truck were my favorites. The pumpkin pics are of a co worker, who brought the pumpkins to the feed grain place to get them weighed, but they were closed. He estimates the big one @ 350-375#'s. Not as good as last year, as he had one @ 638#'s. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tD7UxXHcj3p1qZ879
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The Impala and the 57 pickup are neat but my two favorites were the 40 Ford coupe and I really like the old black 40's Chevy pickup. Those pumpkins will make lots of pies. Thanks for sharing.
Glenn
Old October 13th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Oh no, not again...

I love that 40 Ford coupe and believe it or not, the green Ford pickup picture before it. Call me a philistine, I don't care; - it's nice to see a dead-stock 40 Ford coupe that isn't hot rodded to hell and a restored Ford pickup; all of the ones I owned were beat to death and rotten, so this is refreshing. Thanks for sharing!

Allan: hope you're feeling better...
Glenn, sounds like your brother has a big heart and really loves his wife. Refreshing to see in this day and age. We need more people like him on this earth.
Jamesbo, Timex made cheap no-jewel movements first in Germany and then in the UK. They'd be made out of plate steel instead of brass or white metal. The secret to their success was that their pivots were all short and the movements compact. This way they could take a beating and still run. I have a number of them here and they all work, even though they're all from the 70s and have never been cleaned or cared for. The problem was they also used cheap cases which were all contemporary styled, so they began to look like hell after a few years. Soon only old guys on a fixed income were wearing them, and they couldn't compete with all the cheap digitals and quartz movements coming out of Asia. So they got into bed with the digital movement and made some pretty indestructible but revoltingly cheap digitals and "indiglow" style things that could be purchased at gas stations. But yes, technology wise, they're all pretty nasty and ugly, they're more or less the Bic lighters of the watch world.
Old October 14th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What a long, long, very long day yesterday. Got up at 4, got to the airport for my 8oclock flight, had drama picking up the Uhaul, got all the stuff loaded and headed out at 130(eastern time). The guy said there was construction on I-10 so I should take Rt 59 up to I-20 and go straight across. Sounded reasonable, until I was half way to Shreveport and realized I was driving almost due north, and taking that route put an extra 4 1/2 hours onto the trip. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been in 4 1/2 hours of construction traffic. Drove through rain most of the day. Finally at 230 I had had enough and stopped in a rest stop for a couple hours, then got home around 630. Slept good because it's quiet in the house.

So, this afternoon I'm going over to the shop and unloading all this stuff. I have the truck until Tuesday so I don't know what else I could move. I'm running close to my mileage limit thanks to the out of the way trip, but should be okay. Only a couple things I needed help moving, we'll see how I do by myself. They might just get pushed off the back.

Dan I think my favorite out of that bunch is the 46 Chevy pickup.

Glenn your brother is his wife's angel. Prayers that she can stay at home as long as possible.

Almost chilly today. It's 70* out now, and sunny. Got a few other things to do as well, as long as Tiger isn't here, then I can get him tomorrow and not worry about being gone after he gets home. I'm off work until Tuesday, I don't really need to be but this way I have a couple days to myself. That guy in Texas was nice, but I'm glad I'm done with him. Long, drawn out deal getting everything here.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.
Old October 15th, 2018, 04:28 AM

Tis Monday
Old October 15th, 2018, 07:52 AM

Tis Monday
Yep.
Old October 15th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Overcast here and coolish. I am vehemently denying to myself that summer is over and this is just a fluke.

Got all my running around done and I'll go get Tiger in just a little bit.

Unloaded all the stuff out of the truck yesterday as well as move a few things around. I think I will wait until this weekend when I have some help getting the DUKW into the hangar. Kind of hard to see driving that in tight spaces, I'd run over one of the cars and not know it.

Summit tonight. I thought I might take the Toad but it's got a couple lights out and one is intermittent. Don't want to troubleshoot that today, so I'll just be a spectator.

Okay have a good day everyone.
Old October 15th, 2018, 11:10 AM

Gotcha Nailhead,

Now question # 2 Jes what do jewels do in a watch
Old October 15th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Evening Guys:
Allan must really be under the weather. This is a long absence for him. I hope his is on the mend. Have concern. The weather here is horrible. It has been in the 40's all day and raining. Supposed to be the same thing tomorrow. My new phone arrived today and I have spent much of the day trying to figure it out. I went from and iPhone to an Android phone and it is very different. I have to do all the setup and now I have the old phone talking to the new phone and hopefully transferring most of my stuff. I think the learning curve will be pretty short. At least I can make and receive calls and do the same with emails although it may take me a minute to find the emails. With this weather I guess this is a good time to be doing this since I can't do anything else.
Old October 15th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Oh no, not again...

Hope Allan is doing better; - this is long for him.
Weather here improved somewhat, it's almost like fall came back. It was actually above freezing today.
And yes, it was Monday, and like most Mondays, it was a day of the walking dead. Nobody wanted to be at work.
Jamesbo, jewels in a watch; they fill the holes where the gears are mounted, in fact the gears are mounted between them. the idea is that jewels are harder than metal and therefore won't wear out with the constant grinding pressure being exerted on the gears by the mainspring. They are actually synthetic jewels, so don't get the idea to gut a watch and hope you make millions on the gem market. Long story short, the higher the jewel count, the better the watch. Most American made watches had 7 as a minimum, and a maximum of 23.True railroad grade pocket watches had 23. Anything over 21 is usually overkill anyway, that just means some pivots have double jeweling. That said, if someone says they have a 7 jewel railway watch that their Grandpappy used, they're lying to you, a real railway watch was usually emblazoned with the railway logo and was usually in a good case, more often than not solid gold. (But I digress...)
Hope that answers the question...
Onward to Tuesday...
Old October 15th, 2018, 09:48 PM

I agree, too long for Allan to be gone. Hope all is well with him. C.O. is looking different than when I last signed on earlier. Anybody else notice?
Old October 16th, 2018, 05:03 AM

mawn'in

Amite cooler this morning

Allan, Come out come out wherever you are. The 11th was the last post I saw, that;s much to long ago

Nailhead, thanks, I got it.I had my grandpa's pocket watch but I gave it to my cousin [who knew him better]It was gold and when you opened the back ya could see the jewel movement. When My aunt gave it to me it wasn't working so she took it to be repaired and the watch repair guy had to make a part, [When I was a pup] He held up the part and I could barely see it,

My dad wore a Hamilton and when I was in high school he bought me and electric Hamilton that was a complete POS, The battery would come out of the place it was spose to be and I'd take it to get it popped back in. After seeing the guy do it about 20 times, I started opening the back with my pocket knife and snapping it back in myself. That's the only watch repair, I've ever done. Other than replacing watch bans and hunting all over the floor for the spring watch band holders

Now a days, I just go to Walmart and when they give out I toss them in the trash.

Old October 16th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

No, I'm not a fan of this revised format, either. Things look scrunched up. And the picture at the top is a huge step backwards.

Coolish this morning and sunny. I almost kind of wish I was at work. Got no real need go be off. I can't believe I think that, because in the other department I wanted to be off forever.

All this watch talk makes me think that I need a clock fixer. My Granddad made a leather faced clock back in the dark ages and the electric clock he used gave it up long ago. I recently dug this thing out and tried a cheep battery operated clock but the stem isn't long enough to go through the back of the clock for the hands to attach. I don't know if anyone could get the thing running again but maybe they'd have one that I could replace it with.

Summit was a little sparse last night. It was MOPAR night and half the cars were new Challengers. They must be related to the Corvette people. The 67 Olds four door was there and had the hood open, so I could see the data plate. Oh and it had a SBC in it. Yawn. Only other Olds was a 68 442 convertible. Locked up tight and no one around. Had a big giant S on the hood, like it was a Cutlass with the 442 numbers added. Hm.

Today I think I'll straighten up a little around the house in preparation of my buddy coming next weekend. That is unless his awful wife comes up with another way to make him stay home. Early night so I can go to work in the morning.

Have a good Tuesday everyone.
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:34 PM

Morning all,
Been raining here for a few days now. Second day back at work and I still don’t feel like being here

Saw the solicitors on Monday and I have decided to do most of the leg work with grandads estate as they want to charge fees for everything The only thing they have to do is some paperwork to put Tink and myself on the title of the house so we can sell it. We’re not going to put it in our names as it’s cheaper to sell it while it’s still in grandads name. Sooo much to learn with this whole process.

The pocket watch that grandad had is a wind up Dominator Marc. Looks pretty old from what I can tell. All I know is it’s cool and when I wind it it starts. Haven’t tested if it holds time yet.

Hopefully your buddy is aboe able to make it this time Mike. Nothing worse then being in a situation like that where you can never get time to visit your friends, men are social folks and need to socialise 😂

Time to start this work day, have a good day everyone,
Adrian
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:56 PM

Ok I gotta ax

Mike, What did you buy
Old October 16th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Always room for one more

I didn't buy anything, Jamesbo. Why because of the Uhaul? That was to get the stuff that belonged to the DUKW that I wasn't smart enough to have put on board when the flatbed came to get it. Most of it is stuff I'll probably never use, but who cares I like stuff. And if it belongs to it, then I need to have it.

Got said truck returned this afternoon and I've been puttering around, not really doing anything but getting a little done here and there. Got some things straightened out in the garage. That place is a disaster.

Adrian I don't envy you having to take care of all that, but I know it will be my turn at some point. Eh, I'll let my sister do all that stuff. I'll be the one stuck doing all the moving.

Gotta run a quick errand, then something to eat, then off to bed. Three this week for me, it should go by just like that.

Have a good night everyone.
Old October 16th, 2018, 02:53 PM

I messaged Allan asking him how he’s going. Says still under the weather and can’t shake the bug he has. I told him I’d let the guys know on the forum.
Old October 16th, 2018, 03:02 PM

Tanks Adrian, I'll send him sum pot licker
Old October 16th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good to hear that Allan is still around, I can empathize about feeling under the weather. There's something wicked going around these parts...

Sorry about all the watch talk, guys, I promise it'll be more Olds-centric once I get into my 53. I'm just the type of guy that always has to keep my fingers busy and my mind active otherwise who knows what'll happen.

Otherwise, a pretty uneventful but rather nice day around here; - it actually almost got warm this afternoon. I think it would probably be too much to ask that it holds out until the weekend so I can get at least one more spin in an old car before the snow really decides to stick.
Old October 16th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Evening Guys:
Another cold rainy day today. It rained all day and maybe got into the low 50's. Got a few things done in the office. Just got back from a small ceremony at Keaton's (the oldest grandson) high school where he was inducted into a national math honor society. He as the only sophomore inducted. This boy is building a heck of a resume for college. Yesterday he received an unsolicited book from North Texas State telling all about the school. It is one of the schools on his list.
Mike, I figured out what you were doing when you were talking about I-10 and being half way to Shreveport. Sure seems like the guy could have put that stuff on the truck. You must have a pretty good size building to hold all the stuff you have.
Adrian it is always good to hear from you. Thanks for the update on Allan. He must really be way under the weather.
Jim is the weather over there interfering with you smacking whitey?
Hope everybody had a good day.
Glenn
Old October 17th, 2018, 06:16 AM

mawn'in

Jes spitting rain fer now

Nailhaed, I like the watch talk. Keep it up. We used to spend all day talking about the weather and the temps in Sandy's office [rest her sweet soul]

Mike, Ya never know when ya might needs some more parts. I have a full set of 24 volt M-38 A1 electrical parts in the top of my barn. Had my jeep converted to 12 volt 30 years ago. They're aging

Allan, I ya can her me key the Mike twice

Gotta go to the big city this morning

Have a great day Olds friends.
Old October 17th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not a bad day, considering I had less than two hours sleep before work. Tiger was sick all night long, and between letting him out and cleaning up after him, I didn't have a lot of extra time. Poor guy, I know he doesn't feel good but there isn't much I can do for him.

Jamesbo there's a guy down the street from me who has an M38A1. It's anyone's guess how long it's been sitting, but it doesn't look that bad.

Glenn a lot of my stuff sits outside. It doesn't do it any favors but it isn't worth much to begin with. My dream is to have a huge warehouse that everything can stay inside and I'd have a nice place to work.

I could have sworn when I was outside with the dog last night I heard a coyote off in the distance. That's not good. People have said they've seen them around, and there are some on the airport. But I've never seen any and this is the first time I've heard one.

Gonna putter around a little then hit the sack. I'm tired and I want to go in early tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old October 17th, 2018, 02:16 PM

Morning all,

That's the whole point about this forum Marc, we talk about anything and everything except politics lol.
Good to hear your grandson is doing so well Glenn. Hopefully he can score a full scholarship as I know education isn't cheap over there.
Enjoy the Big city traffic Jim, I know I'm not a big fan of city traffic.
Who knows Mike you could find a warehouse that's cheap enough so just move in there and build a loft for you and tiger that way you can oversee all your cool stuff
I have to renew my gun license today so I better get a move on.
Have a good day everyone,
Adrian
Old October 17th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Oh no, not again...

Jamesbo, Adrian, thanks for the feedback; I was worried that I'd be too off-topic and put people off. I'll try and keep it "down", but every now and again I can slip some nice pictures in about some of the more interesting stuff I'm trying to put together. But, like car stuff, some days you have good days, and some days you have bad. Last Sunday wasn't good, I managed to wreck a balance on an otherwise workable watch. Now I have to clean and take apart and reset the hairspring on this NOS one I got, and then set it in place. The pin used to hold the hairspring in place is literally the size of a beard clipping out of a razor. So you can imagine what kind of patience, steady hands and dexterity it takes to stab that thing in. The tweezers I'm using aren't too bad, but you can't squeeze too hard otherwise you hear "ping" and the bloody thing is gone.. two such pins have already sprung into space never to be seen again that way.. I also have hands the size of toilet seat covers...yeah, sometimes it can be very trying. It makes carb work look easy.

Glenn, encourage and foster your grandchild into education, whatever it takes, in this day and age a person is pretty much useless unless he's got something of an education. The old days of getting out of high school straight into a paying job are over. If he's smart, and it sounds like he is, encourage it and remove the roadblocks. I wish that I would have got an education, I would not be where I am today, I'd probably be someone, and I would have probably been a lot happier in life if I could have done what I wanted to. I'm a lot closer now to being able to do that, but it's taken 30 years to get this far.

Mike, If i would have remained single I'd probably done just what you were suggesting, I already had the acreage scoped out and the warehouse package. The plan was to subdivide a warehouse/shop and live in the front and have the toys in the back, the ultimate man-cave. Well, then I hooked up with someone, she kinda convinced me that it would be a cold day somewhere before she'd move into something like that, and things being what they were when you're 22 and whatever, I gave in and bought a real house that was bolted to the ground and had walls. Dumb, I know...could have had so much room for the cars and the airplanes...(I was trying to buy a slightly used DC-3, the deal was pretty good, it needed some work but might have flown again, the property I was looking to buy was just large enough to land and take one off, - barely. It didn't work out...must have been the 22 years old thing again, I dunno)

Last edited by Nailheadcanuck; October 17th, 2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spacing, looked pretty crowded and difficult to read.
Old October 17th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:

Not too much going on today with another day of rain and the high of 53. The low was 51 so the temp didn't move very much. I think it is supposed to rain more the next two days. I am registered (no money paid fortunately) for a car show on Saturday called Westlake Classic. It is one I have been to the last two years but this year is looking doubtful with 30% chance of rain Saturday morning.
Mike, you must be outside the city limits. Otherwise the code enforcement folks would be all over you. Sounds like what you need is an airplane hanger.
Marc, I really don't have to talk with the oldest grandson at all although I give lots of encouragement. He is very gifted and was in Junior National Honor Society in middle school. He finished his freshman year with slightly over a 4.0 average. He keeps track of his GPA and SAT scores and understands how important they are. He is very mature for his age. And very few people would ever know he has a slight case of autism. He is really a sweet kid too. His dad is a total POS who had not seen him in probably 6 or 7 years but I am not going there.
That is about all I have for tonight. Hope we hear from Allan soon. I am really getting more concerned for him.
Glenn
Old October 17th, 2018, 08:50 PM

Marc, like others have said. This thread is less about our cars, and more about what we are up to in life. I find the watch repairs interesting, so don't be shy about sharing.
Old October 18th, 2018, 06:31 AM

mawn'in

Down right chili fer the sunny south.

I hate winter coming

Glen, He's got an airplane hanger [best I can figure out] I "think" it is on one of those homes/hanger developments where the previous owner built the hanger but not the home.

Nail head, "off topic" is on topic on this thread.

Mike, My M 38 A 1 was painted with somekinda GI tar base undercoating paint. It never saw the inside of a garage. and never had a speck of rust. Tell your friend if he need s a jeep trailer and/or 24 volt parts, I have both available for a song.

Old October 18th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

After a brief sabbatical to the dark side, I'm baacckkk

Whatever it was I had really knocked my socks off. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I'm slowly on the road to recovery though. This is the first time I've been sick since being diagnosed as diabetic and I discovered that sickness and BG readings seem to have a correlation. The sicker you get, the higher the BG reading. I think I should have bought stock in Kleenex too I've missed 4 curling games as a result which is highly untypical and it bugs the heck out of me. Chances are I woulda hurled my cookies on the ice or ended up falling from instability so maybe a good thing I didn't go. On the bright side, I should be ok for Friday and even better - The Pinty's Grand Slam of Curling has another season being televised starting this morning.

read through some of the posts and thank you everyone for your concern and well wishes. Honestly I didn't even have the energy to fire up this puter. I see there's some changes to the format of CO (again). The banner at the top is different now and this dialogue box has some new instructions underneath. Must be an attempt to be more user friendly for peeps unfamiliar with the site. Progress?? I dunno

Jim - Did whitey treat ya right on munday?? I guess 45/44

Glenn - I see you're getting some of our weather down there for a change. We got some of yours yesterday with a record setting 74°!! I did venture outside long enough to grill some rib eyes for the missus and de boy. I've always had android so I'm not sure about the transition to Apple. I'm sure you'll figure it out no problem. Your new android should have an NFC (Near Field Communications) function which should allow transfer of data from the iPhone to the android fairly easily.

Adrian - Lawyers charge for everything in Oz too?? Just kidding. I'm confused why you would want to change names on the Title (deed?) of Grand dads house if it's cheaper to sell it leaving it in his name? I must be missing something. I know the legal world is challenging to say the least and I'm sure you'll get the necessary documentation done without racking up a huge legal bill. Are you going to list it privately or use a realtor? Pros and cons either way I guess.

Dan - Yup, did you notice that even the posting date is now in bold font? When I went to my profile I noticed that all the tabs that normally are easy to see are grayed out and I have to clik on them to activate what they're 'hiding'. You'd think that IB would at least send out a tech update message in the General info, or as a PM to active users to alert them of the changes. Naw, that would be too logical. BTW, nice photos from that car show. I had a hard time not loving all of them, thanks for sharing.

Marc - Thanks for clearing up that concept of what jewels are for. I always wondered too. The most experience I have with watches is changing out the battery in one of mine. That was enough for me as those stupid little screws were enough to frustrate me and my vision. I got it done though and the watch is still running more than 10 years later. Weird. I guess they don't draw much power at all. When I was a kid my Mom bought me a Bulova self winding watch. It was cool that I didn't have to do anything to keep it going while my buddy Jöergen had to constantly be winding his or getting the time from me. That watch lasted quite a while and put many a Timex to shame. When it died though I did buy an Ironman which I still have today and it's still keeping perfect time. I have a dress watch that I keep in my bureau upstairs. I bought it in 1985 or so and it's accurate 2x a day now. Just needs a battery and since I haven't worn a watch in the 8 years since I retired I really have no plans for it. The only thing I have that's Swiss is my Swiss Army Pocket Knife which I actually bought when I was in Switzerland back in 1982. Kind of neat, we were in St. Moritz which is a touristy destination for skiing and saw them in the window of a shop so I thought WTH. Nice little trinket to take home. It wasn't very expensive and the shop even engraved my name into the handle which I thought was pretty unique.

Mike - It's prolly faster and easier to find a property that has that huge abandoned warehouse and just buy that. Building a new one would be pretty pricey given the cost of materials and labor today.

Well, the trash guy was just here and I need to get some brekkie. Have a good one everyone.
Old October 18th, 2018, 08:14 AM

Good to see you back up and about Allan.

The reason why we have to put our name on the title as “personal representative” is that it’s illegal to sell a house without your name on the title. Solicitors reckon it shouldn’t be any more then $1500 to do that, we’ll see when we get the bill.

Marc I’d love to get a place that I could land a small airplane on. Then I’d have an excuse to get one 😁

Nearly finished my first night shift. One more after this then I’ll have my 4 days off. Always better when I’m not working lol

Take care everyone, Adrian
Old October 18th, 2018, 08:47 AM

Allan, Glad you're still vertical.
Old October 18th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Adrian - Are you listed as the executor of the estate? If so then maybe that's all that's required to fulfill the legal requirements once the probate is cleared.

Search this Thread