The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2018, 05:31 PM
Oh no, not again...

Well I did something useful today, I got the "Oldsmobile Service Guild" watch running again. (See above for a picture of it)
It was painfully evident that the last owner was not a mechanic or even mechanically inclined. Someone had lost the screws that hold on the dial, they had dropped a screw deep in the mechanism which caused it to bind up, and they had lost the translating or spacer ring that held the hold works in place. So they used scotch tape to hold the mechanism in place instead. Luckily I had the required parts. So after a thorough cleaning, It took a bit of fiddling to get the train lined up right, but I carefully reassembled it and got it to run. It still needs some cosmetic work, the hands have lost their luminosity and are rusting and the crystal is pretty badly scratched. It looks like the original glass, so that might be interesting. The dial I'm scared to touch, because the "Oldsmobile Service Guild" looks like a pad transfer that I'll never be able to replicate if it starts to flake or fade. Right now it's perfect and the watch shows "patina". I'll snap a picture later when the hour hand has moved away.The watch dates to between 1955-60, at least that's when Gruen made the movement. Gruen went bust in the mid-sixties, and was revived but never the same. So this is one of the last ones.
So far I've been timing it over the last hour and it's bang-on. Not bad for an amateur hack...
Old September 24th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

44/42?
Old September 24th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Monday Morning All:
It is still wet here from all the rain over the weekend. The right heel is a lot better but I am giving it another day of rest. I guess I will go have the xray today the doctor ordered. I have some work to do in the office today that won't take too long. Then I am probably going to back the Olds out and work on cleaning my workbench off. That will pretty much complete my garage cleanup and redo. That is about it for this cooler (72 with a high of 81 today) Monday. Have a good day my friends.
Glenn
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:06 AM

T'was Monday so guess what

Old September 24th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I already did. What do I win??
Old September 24th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Today was indeed the first day of my paperwork week. I sat around until after 1 before any paperwork was ready for my review. Each item took approximately 20 seconds to complete. I believe this is going to be a long week.

Looked ominous out around noon but no rain. Sun comes out for a few minutes and then goes back to overcast, but no rain. Summit is tonight but I wonder if they'll have it, since it was awesome last week and they still canceled.

Allan the build sheet you posted in L-Head's thread I didn't see a date on it anywhere. Is it not going to have a date on it? I figured it would be dated when it was printed out. The broadcast card has a date on it. I assume that is when it was printed, or was it when the shell was complete and ready to leave Fisher?

Got a couple hours before I have to leave, I should find something to keep me occupied until then. I know what it probably will be, looking at the internet. I've decided that I want a BMW Z3 for my work car, and have been looking for them and researching them. Hm.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old September 24th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - There's a date but you have to know where to look and decode it. The build sheet I posted was from 1970. Here's how you break it down.
  1. From Box 9 on the top: Car line 344670E - 344 = 442 67 = convertible 0 =1970 production E = Linden plant
  2. Schedule / production date: 25 02-19 - 25th Cutlass scheduled on Feb 19, 1970
The broadcast card won't have an actual date (as in production year) as that's tied to the VIN. The card I posted a picture of has the elusive Z930 in the SPCL/Trim area that no one on on CO has been able to decipher. It is however one of the few cards that shows the provenance of a W30.

Glenn - Good to hear things are getting better. I wish we had 72° here. We're struggling to get close to 45
Old September 24th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Allan. I saw the 2-19 but the 25 threw me. Both the broadcast cards I have, have the date as month and day. And of course, one of them has the Z and I still don't think it means Canada, like that Kurt guy does.

The cruise in is still listed on Summit's website so I'm gonna head out in a little bit. It's prostreet night. That means at least one guy will have to start up his dragster type vehicle and rev the hell out of it, and then laugh when people fall down or their ears start bleeding. Give me MOPAR night anytime, those people are quiet.
Old September 25th, 2018, 05:36 AM

mawn'in

Getting a slight drizzle dis mawn'in

My may go on the DL something is wrong with my left elbow.

Today, I've got 2 markers coming in. How I love to sit around and wait for freight

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 25th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Frost on the cars to start the day but looking for a nice finish this afternoon. I have a team curling practice at 11:00 at the Saville and after that I guess I'll do a little more yard cleanup. Time to vacuum the oak acorns again too. Looks like there are more now than the last time.
Old September 25th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Lucy and I just got back a short while ago from our walk. This is the first time I have walked in 4 days since the right heel started hurting. The med seems to be working. I had very slight pain in the heel. We will see if I suffer any effects from it. The temp is 80 degrees at the moment and is supposed to get up to 89 today. No frost on the pumpkins yet Allan. Not too much planned today. Will probably run a few errands with the wife and spend some time with here. I am just glad she feels like getting out today. Have a good day my friends.
Glenn
Old September 25th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Long day at the salt mine. Never did get any paperwork like I was supposed to, but did check over plenty of paperwork for the contract wheels. After lunch we had a town hall meeting to hear a bunch of things we didn't care about.

No rain on the south side. It looks a little overcast but some blue sky is peaking out. Of course the rain is supposed to come Thursday, when the new truck comes.

The cruise in went on last night, but there were only a handful of cars. No prostreet cars, so I thought we were doing okay. I was sitting with some old guys and this kid comes in with his ricer sounding RX7. He makes a lap around the whole parking lot and then parks and revs up the engine to about 10K. It crackled and popped and I thought sounded like $hit and it was very loud. Everyone looked. The kid got out and strutted around like he was cool. He didn't realize all those looks were of disgust.

Might go start clearing a space over at the shop this afternoon, for a little while. Even though the roof of the shop leaks, I'd rather the DUKW sit inside than outside. It should just fit.

Tomorrow is Friday. I took Thursday and Friday off, so I could meet the truck and get things situated. Then I think we'll head down to my Mom's for a couple days. I won't have the chance for a few more weeks so that will be a good time.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; September 25th, 2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old September 25th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Oh no, not again...

"Tuesday, Afternoon..., I'm just beginning to see, now I'm on my way...."

Wasn't that a Moody Blues song? Kinda what I was feeling today, - just one of those days. Hopefully the weather holds to the weekend, I'd like to drive something vintage again.
Not much new and exciting around my neck of the woods...

Have a great evening!
Old September 26th, 2018, 04:46 AM

mawn'in

Still jes spitting a little wet stuff

I received 2 markers yesterday, so this mawn'in, I'm gonna install them, Then I'm headed to lucnh with sum college chums. I see sum Ropa Vieja in my near future.

I'm pretty sure my left elbow is jes sore from trying to hit out of the ruff on Monday. I'm giving it the Bio freeze treatment, and have my fingers crossed it's not something more serious. Getting old ain't fer sissies

Old September 26th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Not a pretty morning here. Warm enough at 52° but the wind is really stiff and makes it feel cooler. Spoda be cloudy and rain later. You'd think there would be some balance to the weather but noooo....

Heading out shortly for the last summer game of Mixed doubles curling. Then next week the official start to the 4 day week of the regular season. I'm so not looking forward to the commutes.

Marc - Yes!! Moody Blues was one of my favorites.

Happy Humpday.

Old September 26th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:

Allan that is great. It was plucked right out of 1969 which happened to be the year I was given a free trip to southeast Asia by LBJ and Robert McNamara (bastard). Great music. It is cool and raining this morning. The high is supposed to be 73 today. I got dressed for my morning walk and got Lucy's halter and leash on her. We went out in the driveway and a few drops were falling so we came back in the house. Lucy was so disappointed. Then a few minutes later it was really raining. Bummer since we have had lots of rain since Friday. I don't have a lot on tap today. Have a good day everybody.
Glenn
Old September 26th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Ah yes, the Moody Blues. Listened to them many times, though for some reason they don't show up on the classic rock stations in my area. What was the name of the song about Dr. Timothy Leary? Legend of a Mind? I'll look it up. My favorite. Nights in White Satin ranked up there pretty good as well.
Old September 26th, 2018, 08:47 AM

Mike! LOL, I just saw your search for the oldest post. A good laugh.
Old September 26th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I went in at 4 and signed off 5 wheels. Then I sat around until after 1 before I did any more work. And since I'm off the rest of the week I get to do this all next week, too.

So I took tomorrow and Friday off, tomorrow because I didn't know when that guy is going to show up, and Friday because I'm going to my Mom's as soon as that guy shows up. Sounds like I could work tomorrow because he said he won't be here until evening. Eh, I like not being at work.

Heard from the seller after the truck left his place, he said everything went fine. Here's the picture.

I guarantee he's going to get some funny looks driving down the interstate.

Okay gonna do something that will probably end at Awful house. Have a good evening everyone.
Old September 26th, 2018, 07:52 PM
Oh no, not again...

Thanks Allan, that was a cool piece of nostalgia. I went and saw the Moody Blues at the Jube probably around 2001-2 or whenever it was the last time they were here. They put on a great show. My wife and I had to be the youngest people there at the time.
Glenn, - sorry to hear you had the all expense-paid trip to SE Asia around then. The Moody Blues brings back pleasant memories for me, I can only imagine what your experience was. I was a young kid growing up in the Philippines just a few years later, I can remember the scary guys I'd run across at the John Hay AFB in Baguio. It was a convalescent and a psych hospital and there were a lot of broken down guys rotated out of 'Nam there, even more so after the capitulation in 75. Enjoy your peace and quiet and the walks; - you more than earned it if you were over there, and I can understand why you hate LBJ and McNamara.
Mike, - I'm gonna ask, and you've probably explained it before in a previous post, but I'm dying to know, just what the hell is the "Awful House"?

Well, back to it...my Olds watch has issues, it's decided to run slow and out of beat. I probably have to take it apart again. Bloody thing is as bad as a carburetor.
Old September 27th, 2018, 05:13 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Didn't stay up as late as I thought I would, but boy did I sleep good. After only two years I think Tiger finally has the idea. We go to bed and don't get up until morning. He really is a smart boy.

Marc the Waffle House is a short order place that doesn't seat very many and has all the cooking right out in front of everyone. It was started in Atlanta in 1955 and to say they are ubiquitous in the south is an understatement. The food is not exquisite, but passable, and most people, like me, go there because they know all the staff and the customers. It has several nick names, I call it the Awful house, others call it the Awful Waffle. People will find one and that will be theirs and they usually don't go to another one. Mine is on North Henry Boulevard in Stockbridge. When they see me drive up there's a glass of Coke sitting at the high counter waiting for me.

No word yet from the truck driver but suppose he drove all day and then had to take his required break. I understand he was also going to pick up a forklift before he headed up here. Hey, I could use a forklift. If he gets here early enough I'll head out for my Mom's this evening. Otherwise it will be O'Dark Thirty in the morning.

And speaking of the Awful house, I'm headed there now. Have a good morning everyone.
Old September 27th, 2018, 06:01 AM

mawn'in

Now, I'm hungry for some scattered, smothered and covered [Waffle House specialty hash browns with onions and cheese]

Still a little damp but no rain yet

Glenn, Thank you for your service

I;m not gonna get too political here but, The other day I ran into an old high school flame, and during our chat she recalled a story. Nothing racy just a simple event. Anyway after I thought about it for a while, I realized she had heard the story so many times from her best friend, she had placed herself in her best friends shoes and she wasn't even there

Probably a good time to shut up

Old September 27th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Morning Gents:
Just back from the morning walk. If I lack motivation, Lucy will provide it. She starts shortly after I get out of bed. She follows me around the house and then runs to the front door. She looks at me with those big brown eyes and no way I can turn her down. It was pretty nice this morning with the temperature in the mid 60's. It is a cool front moving through and will be gone my the weekend. I went to a gathering of old farts at the Whataburger last evening. It was pretty small. Most of the guys were pretty welcoming with only a couple that didn't bother to speak. Several of these guys are getting ready to head to Biloxi for the Cruise The Coast event (https://cruisinthecoast.com/}. They have over 8,000 car attending. I don't think I will ever do that one. It is just too big for me at my age. I visited with one guy who is 75 and was a helicopter pilot in 63-64 when we were still advisors. He has a 57 Chevy 150 and a 61 Caddy. Neither car was there last night. Nice guy.
Jim, thank for the appreciation. We didn't get much of that when we came home.
I have a couple things to do here in the office today that will take about an hour and then I am going outside and take advantage of the weather.
Best to all of you today.
Glenn
Old September 27th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Always room for one more

Still waiting for my truck. Went over to the shop and moved stuff around, then got hungry and came home. I was going to go up to have pizza tonight, and also look at a BMW Z3, but if it gets much later then I won't. Also a Corvair I was interested in that dropped out of sight is now back, and cheeper. Between the two I'd rather have the Corvair. But it's in Florida, the Z3 next to the pizza place. Hm. I suppose I could do both and also have pizza...

One thing I've never understood, and Glenn if this is not right to ask just tell me, why were the servicemen treated so poorly when they got home from Viet Nam? I understand it was an unpopular thing with the civilian people, but heck if you're in the military and they tell you to go, you go. If someone shoots at you, you shoot back. Seems simple. In 1969 I was 2, and not really keeping up with current events.

Ug, all this waiting. As Tom Petty says, the waiting is the hardest part.
Old September 27th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Kind of a blue day here.

I didn't feel well this morning so I called the Saville and cancelled the practice ice.

Just got back from a celebration of life. My neighbor Sean passed on Sept 21. He was cremated and his ashes are heading back home to Ireland. His family are good people. I'll miss Sean, he was always fun to talk with.
Old September 27th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Always room for one more

Too bad about your neighbor, Allan. Godspeed to Sean.

The truck finally showed up around 430. Of course the sunny skies had given way to rain, and lots of it. I asked the driver on the phone if he wanted to meet me somewhere and I'd drive him over to have a look at the surroundings. Nope, his truck is this, the trailer is this, the roads have to be like this... I said okay I'll meet you there. He pulls up and around the corner and as he's backing around the corner to get into my place he drives right off the pavement and into the neighbor's grass and gets stuck. So what's he do? Revs it up and digs himself deeper. No problem, I get the Deuce and a chain and hook up to him and after a little heave ho pull the truck out. He tries again and gets the trailer where it is supposed to go. The DUKW came off the trailer no problems and it's parked at the shop and now it stops raining. I'll go fix the neighbor's yard later, I already told him about it.

So it's too late to go up north to see that car and have pizza. I'm going to call my Mom and see what she wants me to do this weekend. If for some reason she doesn't want me to come down I'll go to work tomorrow and save the day for another time. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old September 27th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good Evening!

Mike; - As a frustrated history prof, please permit me to chime in here on the post Vietnam era thing; - in a nutshell, the war had become unpopular by 1969 and mainstream America kind of assumed that anyone who had the misfortune of ending up there was part of the conservative "establishment" when in reality they didn't have a choice because of the draft. If you actually volunteered to go into the military, well, that was unprintable and unforgivable, I won't get into the sanctimonious editorials and sermons that were going around then. The "establishment" was all about big business, multinationals, and corrupt government in the form of Richard Nixon. So if you went and served, you were looked upon as something evil or some sort of a knuckle-dragging throwback. Conscientious objectors, draft-dodging and getting oneself stuck in university was viewed as far more preferable than serving you country. Patriotism definitely was not encouraged; there's a good reason why they call it the "Malaise Era". If you think "fake news" is a contemporary issue, it's not, they invented it back then, and it was primarily media driven. There's a lot more to the issue that I won't get into here.
It wasn't until the Reagan administration before it became popular to join the military and serve again.
The vets from that era got a very raw deal; they had no public support, they were hated and told to move on with life, there was never any psych support for those that needed it, and even their own government and the VA tried to bury them and get them out of the way as fast as possible. Most suffered from some form of PTSD; this was one instance where you left a combat situation under fire, boarded a DC-8 and in 8 hours later left abandoned standing on a street Stateside. There was no transition or cooling down period as there was in WW I or II. There was virtually no support from the VA.
We ended up with a lot of the draft-dodgers up here; I know a couple of them. It's the one thing I don't think I could forgive; if your country calls on you to do your duty, then you do it, you don't run away. I had a grade 9 Social Studies teacher who was a draft dodger, I told him what I thought of him and he called me a **** (I'm German, which didn't help) and then damn near flunked me, so the principal made me write an essay on the meaning of nationalism and patriotism, I used that to put that teacher to shame.

Probably a good place to stop lest we drag up old skeletons that don't need to be dragged up. My apologies to those who may think I stepped out of turn here, it is not my intention to offend.

Thanks for explaining the Awful House to me; I kind of wish we had something like that around here, we've got "Timmy's" but it's not quite the same. Can't eat sweets anymore but a nice cup of coffee goes a long way.

Allan, sorry to hear about your friend; never a good thing to have to deal with.

Jamesbo, I think I get what you're saying. Gives a person something to think about. Hmmm...

Well, that's it for me...have a Good Night all!
Old September 27th, 2018, 10:00 PM

Stopped at a gas station/convenience store on the way to work (also a truck weigh station), and as I was walking in, I saw a vintage Classic roll in on the other side of the building, where the semi's gas up. I did my business inside, and drove across the lot to see where the car went. As soon as I saw the headlights, I knew what it was, a Pierce Arrow. I pulled up and a gentleman around 80 ish was fueling her up with the ethanol free brew. I asked the year (1933), and commented that it was a nice car, it appeared unrestored, a solid driver. He say's that he has another at home, and tries to put about 700-800 miles a year on them. I asked if he ever took it to the Gilmore Car Museum, and he replied that he was the president of the Pierce Arrow Museum at the Gilmore. Cool.
Old September 28th, 2018, 04:23 AM

Hi Guys, Been really busy with selling 2 places and buying 1. Sold the Vista to a local guy who already has a 72 Vista (looks like a real nice one). I am happy my car is going to a Oldsmobile fan, he will treat it good. He is coming today to get the rest of the parts.
Just my 2 cents on the Vietnam Veterans. It was a real shame they were treated like that. They were heros. I enlisted in the Navy in August of 75, just after the Vietnam era. There was no conflicts while I was in from 2/76 to 2/80. I think everything changed after 9/11. Now most people respect the veterans as it should be. I am proud to be a veteran though with the change in public attitude I many times feel undeserving. When I compare my time in the Navy to the times served by a war veteran who saw battle and bloodshed it just doesn't compare at all. I don't bring up the fact that I was in the service in conversations, but many times I will get asked. Usually the next statement is "Thank you for your service". I do appreciate that and say thank you, but, really, in my case I feel undeserving of it. I was a 19yr old with no job and no direction, my parents had just gotten a divorce. Uncle Sam sent me from cold Michigan to beautiful San Diego and a West Pacific cruise......
Old September 28th, 2018, 04:53 AM

mawn'in

Misting and a "last minute" family on the way

Glen, My " boy" is retiring next year as a full bird. Korea, Iraq twice and Afghanistan once. Airborne ranger. I remember when he was a pup in the boy scout and was afraid of heights.
I've had a star in my window for a long time We support our troops where ever they are or are forced to go. But I don't deny Eisenhower was correct. "Beware of the military Industrial complex"

Mike, I woulda paid big money to see you haul that guy out. I'm a little confused. Did you drive it to the shop from your house?

Allan, Sorry for your loss.

Old September 28th, 2018, 05:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Overcast but no rain. I wouldn't mind if the sun came out and dried everything out. Gonna have to play in the mud today.

Jamesbo I keep the Deuce at the shop now, so it was already there. It was not the piece of cake I thought it would be pulling that truck out, and now I have a problem with the transmission. It won't back up. Something binds and I don't go nowhere. I emailed the guy that worked on it in the spring and he said that trans isn't designed to pull in reverse, it probably broke some teeth off inside and the pieces are floating around and getting stuck between the gears. He advised to not drive it forward, either. Great.

Dan that's incredibly cool that you saw that car at the truck stop. I thought you were going to say he had converted it to a Duramax and was filling with diesel. There was a guy at the Summit cruise in a couple weeks ago with a Rolls Royce of about that same vintage.

Well thanks guys for the comments about Viet Nam. Maybe people in the late 40s were confused about WWII. Though that was a totally different kind of war. My Dad was in the Navy in the early 60s and probably would have stayed in except my Mom wasn't real happy about being in California and the rest of the family in Illinois. If he would have said he wanted to stay in, though, Mom would have agreed. I think if he were around when I got out of high school the Navy is where I would have been headed.

So Greg are you into a new place or still in limbo? As much as I want to move I hate to think of ever trying it. Like John once said, I've got a pretty deep footprint here.

Okay time for Awful house. I talked to my Mom last night and she said it's going to rain all weekend, so I should pick another weekend to visit. Hm. I feel rebuffed. Not much I could have done, anyway. So it's a long weekend for me, I'll take it.

Have a good day everyone.
Old September 28th, 2018, 07:27 PM

Afternoon all, It's been a long month for us down here. Grandad was in the hospital for emergency surgery after complications arose from his kidney surgery earlier in the year only to find out he had terminal cancer. Tink and I traveled a lot to go to the hospital to see him and keep him company as he had no other family. Unfortunately he passed away on Friday 21st of September. I was down on the Wednesday and was able to get the information needed for what he wanted for his funeral service as organizing that fell onto my shoulders as I didn't want Tink to have to do that as well. We laid him to rest on Thursday. We haven't put anything on social media about it as he didn't want certain people knowing of his passing so if you want to message me just send a private message please.

Adrian
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:26 PM

My condolences Adrian.
Old September 29th, 2018, 03:20 AM

mawn'in

So sorry for your loss Adrian

Mike, Ouch, I hope it's not something major

Note to self Stop watching news [hearings] the deal is gonna be made in a back room the public viewing is just for show

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old September 29th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Adrian awful sorry about Granddad.

Just got back from the Awful house. I got kind of a late start, I figured it would be busy. Nope, not really. The specials menu went away and now instead of it costing 6 bucks for breakfast(which includes a hamburger for Tiger) it's 8 bucks plus. Sheesh.

The trans in the Deuce is a top loader so I took the floor cover off, took the top of the trans off, and peeked down in there. Everything is shiny and not worn. What I could get to turn was not missing any teeth. I ran a magnet down to the bottom and fished around and didn't bring up any chunks. Deuce guy said to put it all back together and see what I have. He said if it went forward 200 feet without problem it should be okay. There has to be some reason it's binding, I guess I just hope for the best, and hope that if it torpedoes itself it's soon so someone else has to pay for it.

Big car show in downtown Senoia today. They block off the streets and lots of cars are there. I try to go every year. It will be a good time. There's food trucks and some fair-type food, the Varsity is usually there. I want some cotton candy.

Senoia is where they film The Walking Dead. It's maybe 40 minutes from me. A friend of mine lives in Senoia and he said when they take a break from filming you can see the zombies standing around talking on cell phones.

Okay gonna head out to the show, then I think I'll sneak up to work and use the blaster on a couple of brackets, then go put the Deuce back together and take it for a ride. That should round out the day.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.
Old September 29th, 2018, 08:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Everybody:
I want to thank everybody about their input about Viet Nam. It has been 48 years since I came home. How time has flown. I was just an avionics tech in the USAF at Da Nang Air Base. I was never out in the bush shooting at anybody or Charlie Cong shooting at me. I lost three guys I went to school with and have been to the wall and traced their names. Going to the wall the first time was a very emotional event. I have been back several time and the last time in 2011 was with my kids and grandkids. I have been at night and it is a very different experience. It is very peaceful and like it is at rest. The fact is that we sacrificed over 58,000 live and affected the lives of thousand of mothers, fathers, wives and children and lost the war. We lost the war in Korea but Viet Nam was much worse. I am thankful that Viet Nam Vets get respect today they rarely got when they returned. I have said enough about Viet Nam and will put this to rest. Thank you all.
Jim, congrats on your son. You have to be very proud. I know I would be.
Allan, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Good friends are hard find. I do not have a best friend (other than my wife) or buddy. I don't really expect to at this point in my life. It would be great to have a buddy to go and have a few beers with and talk cars or solve the world's problems.
Adrian, my condolences on the loss of your grandfather.
I am going to try and go to a car show I was planning on today. Looks like rain. I hope everybody has a good weekend.

Glenn
Old September 29th, 2018, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Have fun up north Jim.
Sorry for your loss Allan, hard to find good honest people these days.
I was gonna go over to a friends house today and help him change out the turbo on his car but I have woken to rain and since he doesn't have a carport or anything like that I don't know if we will get it done. Maybe if he clears the driveway we can nose it into the garage enough.
Glenn I used to have a friend who was a Vietnam vet. He used to drive the trucks over there. Haven't spoken to him in a few years now.
Enjoy the car shows Mike and Glenn. Won't be long before they're all shut up for the year right?

Adrian
Old September 29th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I didn't make the car show today. The last time I walked outside to check the weather a fine mist started. I said okay that is it. I should have gone since it never really rained. However I did get my 60 gallon air compressor ready to roll into the corner of my garage. It was in the warehouse and my brother and I went and got it yesterday. My old 20 gallon one has finally given up. I put some casters on this one so it is easy to move around if I need to. Two of the wheels lock. I will have to get a filter and dryer combo for it. This thing will really power the air jack I recently bought. This is one of my last pieces I need (I know, famous last words). I have a nice place in the corner where it is going to fit. I have to extend my 220 circuit over about six feet from the plug for the existing compressor. Not a problem for me. So, even I didn't make it to a car show the day was not wasted. I should get it in place tomorrow. Hope everybody has had a good day.
Glenn
Old September 29th, 2018, 05:43 PM

A little cool today, with temps in the 50's. Took down a couple of small cedar trees that were too close to the house, and were rubbing on the roof. Should make it easier for the roofers. Went and got some Mexican goodies from a food truck, and watched the Michigan/Northwestern game. Dug out my 3:91 gears and pig for a local Olds guy to come and look at later this week. It's a 31 spline unit, which is correct for his '68 W30. He wants to see the W31 while he's here at the end of the week.
Old September 29th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Oh no, not again...

It was downright cold today.
But, I managed to get out in a Buick. I took the Electra out for a drive, good thing the heater works. A few flakes of snow fell, but the car worked and ran beautifully. I don't know about you guys, but I much prefer a 50 year old car to a modern one for driving comfort and power. I just can't do the limit in the Old Beast, I just can't. But it sure was nice to drive an Oldie again. (Sorry guys, it's not an Olds...maybe next year the Olds will run)
Spent more money on crap that I don't need; a whole whack of watches and pocket watches. I guess I will go into business cleaning, fixing and selling vintage mechanical watches.
Anyway, not much else going on this weekend except to watch it get cold out.
Might as well hunt down some parts...