The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2018, 07:12 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out. Nice and cool so no one complained that Tiger was at the Awful house.

I was standing on the back porch this morning and I thought I heard that tree that had broke and was resting against another tree, fall. Tiger was right in front of me so I knew it didn't fall on him. Went out there when I got home and said tree is still propped up. So I have no idea what I heard. It's a little scary.

Jamesbo you're getting dissimilar metal corrosion. And since it's always wet it's not going to end well, hence your bad copper pipes. You've been going to camp since 1926?

Got a few things to work on today, and then an early night for work tomorrow. It's a little overcast, hope it doesn't rain. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 08:23 AM
Oh no, not again...

Good Morning everyone!
Well, a rude awakening a little early when it dawned on me in my sleep that I hadn't put the garbage cans out and the truck was coming. The cans are full, if I'd have missed this week it would have meant I'd have to do a "drive-by" garbaging and fill up someone else's cans. Got them out in time...
Now, since it's rainy and crappy out, I'm going to be attacking a little "fusee" style watch that has been giving me the gears. I took it apart and cleaned it, put it together and tested the mechanism, it'll work all right, I'm just having a heck of a time getting the chain back on and under tension. A little history; before the American watch manufacturers perfected the "going barrel" style mainispring, there used to be a tiny chain that went between the mainspring barrel and a conical shaped wheel called a fusee. The fusee is shaped like a ten-speed set of gears, works along the same principle as the bike does. This chain evens out the mainspring pressure as the watch runs down. It's even made like a bicycle chain, they were made by 6-7 year old kids back in the day. Oh yeah, the watch dates to 1867.
The language,..she be colourful!
Old September 3rd, 2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
. You've been going to camp since 1926?

No, It started in 1926 .I went 1958,59, 60, 61 for 8 weeks each year, I closed in 98, I bought it in 2000. [Betch cha can't name one other friend who owns his old boys camp and will be buried in his own cemetery]
Old September 3rd, 2018, 10:48 AM
Always room for one more

Ah Jamesbo I was just funnin' you. I know you aren't that old. I will say to the rest of the group you should really get Jamesbo to invite you up to his lake place. It is beyond description beautiful.

Well no joy at the shop today. I went over to work on the VW. Last time I touched it was July of '16 when I put a new battery in it. Hooked up the jumper cables, have a good starter. Have a good fuel pump. Have fire. The starting fluid can didn't have a nozzle on it and pushing the tab wasn't getting very much juice into the air cleaner, so I poured a little gasoline down the carb. It kicked and fired and ran a couple seconds, but that was it. I think the fuel that's in the tank is just really, really bad.

Next up was the Wagoneer. When it's cold the steering doesn't want to turn. New belt, pump is full. Once it warms up it does okay. The guy must have had it warmed up for me when I went to look at it because this is the first I've noticed it. So once it's moving it steers and squeals then is okay. Took it a couple miles down the road to put some gas in it. Got back to the shop, opened the hood, thought I saw something dripping from the fuel filter. As soon as I touched it, gas poured out of it and onto the hot manifold. I had about a half gallon of water I poured on it and the filter stopped leaking so that car is grounded until I can replace fuel line.

Then I thought I might take the Toad to get some gas in it, since the gauge doesn't work and I drove over an hour on a full tank. When I was putting it on the trailer my Mom was standing behind the car and said one of the brake lights didn't work. So I checked out all the lights and the brake light works, but sometimes it's dim. The parking lights are barely visible, and one front turn signal is out. I thought, eh, bad sockets I'll check those later. Decided three strikes I'm out. So this afternoon I'm going to put my unused cement in the holes in the driveway and make things a little smoother.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 11:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,
Friggen syrian neighbors had a yelling match at 1:30am. So I opened my window and Yelled "Shut the hell up!!!" It didn't work. I think I should call the cops on these a@@holes. It was the woman who was doing all the yelling. You'd think the least they could do was shut their windows and doors but nooooooo. How inconsiderate. Needless to say I didn't get a good nights sleep.

Cool and windy here today. Started out with some early morning rain. Now it's just cool and windy.

I found a gas powered (Homelite) leaf blower/mulcher on the web. I was in the market and decided to message the seller. Turns out the unit is pretty old and may need a carb rebuild. I offered a lower price based on that and the possibility of limited parts availability. They said yes so I'm off to pick that up this afternoon. Could be a crap shoot, but I can rebuild carbs.

Jim - That reminds me of the old Remington commercial back in the 70s?80s?. Guy said he liked the product so much he bought the company. Nebber bet on anything without a tail? How does that splain being married so many times??

Mike - One of these days you'll buy a car that's turnkey and won't know what to do with it.

Dan - Congrats on the new addition. We haven't replaced ours since she had to be put down.

Glenn - Just a heads up. Although the 71 is a CS W30 and the standard seats are A51 Strato Buckets, if the car didn't have the D55 center console the A65 Split Bench Seat could be ordered as a N/C option. Most people think that a center console is standard with bucket seat cars of this era but that's not the case. There are numerous cars that did get buckets but still had a column shift transmission too. I hope your back is feeling better today.

Originally Posted by Nailheadcanuck
Well, a rude awakening a little early when it dawned on me in my sleep that I hadn't put the garbage cans out and the truck was coming. The cans are full, if I'd have missed this week it would have meant I'd have to do a "drive-by" garbaging and fill up someone else's cans. Got them out in time...
Wow! Scona County gets trash collection on a Holiday Weekend? That's impressive. Nothing like that in Edmonton.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
How does that splain being married so many times?? .
I like the Ceremony

Mike, If ya don't have room for the DUKW, I'd like to store it down by the lake to one up some of them Hotlanta folks with their designer boat Houses

Old September 3rd, 2018, 12:52 PM
Oh no, not again...

Aha! Success! Finally got that @#$%&!! chain on, and now the watch is running! And it looks like it's holding time. Not bad...considering I bought it without hearing or knowing what the problem was. Took a chance, now it's paid off. No more watches today, going cross-eyed and the shakes are coming on. Besides, my neck is sore from craning over a desk. So now the backlog of incomplete project watches is down to 4: I might tackle the wrist watches next weekend, depending on the weather. Note to Self; stay away from English made fusees, what a nightmare to reassemble as compared to the later (and better) American watches.

Mike: What kind of VW? An old Beetle? Those things were able to run on water almost. My grandfather used to fix them for the Wehrmacht, much more reliable than anything English or Russian. The only thing better was a Jeep. He also knew a thing or two about Amphicars, his boss went on to build them in Lubeck (my original hometown) in the early 60s.

Jamesbo: Cool story behind the camp; I'll bet it has a fascinating history. You must have had a good time there to actually buy it when it came up years later. Are you thinking of using as a camp again or is it your own private preserve now?

Allan, Yeah, garbage day is garbage day, regardless if it's Christmas Day. Believe it or not, they save on OT that way.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 01:05 PM

Nailhead, Insurance and other reasons caused the camp to shut down, When I bought it I sub divided it into 9 lots, I kept one 9 acre lot and the ole 1926 house the owners of the camp lived in. Tore off the back built a basement and added on 3 BR and 3 1/2 baths. I turned the library/infirmary into a quest house and rebuild the garage and a few other out buildings

50 kids [plus counselors] went there for decades, bathed in the lake with Octagon soap and had a great time sans shoes and shirt [except of course on Sunday] GREAT fun water sking, canoeing, hiking the Appalachian Trail etc. So when the family asked me If i wanted it, I said "HELL YEAH"

So, I know my way around

Mike, Now you're gonna need a GPA
Old September 3rd, 2018, 05:29 PM
Always room for one more

Well I just talked to the guy in Texas and told him I'd buy that DUKW. I'm pretty excited. I think he was surprised that I said yes. I just told him when I was there that I had a lot to think over. Now to sift through all the freight companies that think I want to ship a pickup truck and they want to charge $490.

Marc it's a 70 Beetle. Had funny brakes when I bought it but it ran and drove good. One day I was driving around my yard and the pedal was very firm, and just a tad more effort and the pedal went to the floor. I don't know if it was the master, a wheel cylinder or a line, but I plan to redo every part in the brake system. Just need to get started. I wish I could talk to someone who worked for the Amphicar factory.

Allan I do have a turn key car that needs nothing. You know what I do with it? Nothing. It sits.

Jamesbo I think a GPA is gonna be a little more than this DUKW will be. The last GPA I saw for sale was north of 100 and the last Schwimmwagen I saw was over 200. I could always get a Gamma Goat.

Okay time for bed. I really need to go in two hours early now so I can pay for that guy. I'm gonna drive it everywhere. Good night everyone.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 06:12 PM
Oh no, not again...

Mike, - Wow, you're a proud owner of a DUKW., cool! Be interesting to see pictures of the restoration/get it running.
As for the Beetle; it's the master cylinder. It's made by ATE Lockheed and it's a pile of junk. Hydraulic brakes are an afterthought on a Beetle, they were all cable prior to 1957. However, the rule of thumb with any German car is if it has sat for a couple of years, toss the master cylinder and get another one. They usually aren't rebuildable. Same goes for the carb, it's a Solex, and they don't do well with old gas; it's too "chunky" for the finer passages. Invariably, if it isn't either of the above, then it's electrical. Now you know why they lost the war. As for the Amphicar, it has a Triumph engine in a German made body with lousy electrics. I never understood why they are worth so much money now, they were lousy when built and no one wanted them. Maybe it's because they're as scarce as the other projects the inventor worked on during the war, U-Boats. Most of them are on the bottom, - could it be the same with the Amphicar? My grandfather had nothing nice to say about them, unfortunately you can't ask him, he's been gone since 1989. Oh yeah, just in case you figure I'm slamming German cars, - it comes from long experience. I used to play with Mercedes.

Jamesbo, that must be one cool lot you've got, good to hear you've done a lot with it. Good on you for subdividing; - great way to take car of the mortgage.

Now, to relax a bit...3 day weekends are nice but I miss the free time I had when I was still on shift. You can't get anything done in a regular 2 day weekend. Tomorrow back to the grind...good night everyone!
Old September 4th, 2018, 03:20 AM

Mawn'in

Where to begin today, work around the cemetery, plumbing, Paint

Set fire and leave town

Decisions, decisons

Will report back after plan is implemented

have a great day Olds friends
Old September 4th, 2018, 03:29 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Pretty crappy weekend.
I did get a new smoker ordered.

Pigs are ready. We'll need to go get them next Saturday.

Have a day.
Old September 4th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Today I did the most work at my job yet. Signed off 33 wheels and I needed 37. Lady Luck was not with me, because the contract wheels started coming and I can't sign them off. Though I did stay over an hour because the crew in general was down about 10 wheels. The lead is always pleased when people work overtime.

Well since Jamesbo hasn't been back since 0620 he must have left town.

Clint sorry your weekend was bad. Was it bad weather or the events of the day? Eh, soon it will be snowing and you'll forget all about it.

Marc that's funny the master was the first thing I thought of changing. If that fixes it I might stop there, though I know the lines are most likely original and waiting to fail themselves. I would like to get things apart and take a look at what I've got.

I'm not sure the group here knows that I've owned another DUKW for about 17 years. I bought it as a project, non-running and haven't done a thing with it. A bit beyond my capabilities at the time, and probably still. My hope is that with the new one, I can use it as sort of a Chinese blueprint and also having one that runs will get me to want to get the first one running.

Well I was going to go get my hair cut, but being late getting home, and getting Tiger all squared away, it's too late to think about that. I'll try again tomorrow. Guess I'll dabble around until it's time for bed.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old September 4th, 2018, 01:56 PM

New soffit/facial up, water line fixed [need to change out all copper to PVC] maybe later in the week

Grass cutting is slowing down a mite, Soo we mow again tomorrow
Old September 4th, 2018, 09:07 PM

So, Mike, for a future purchase, is it going to be DUKW, DUKW, Goose? My bad, slow wit week. A rain break for a day and a half, cut my grass Friday, and it needs it again. Jeesh. My home entertainment receiver has gone bonkers, so it's time to get another one. It's a Yamaha, about 15-16 years old. Not sure whether to get another one of those or maybe a Onkyo, though I heard that they went to plastic with the ***** instead of aluminum, which they had been.
Old September 5th, 2018, 04:36 AM

Mawn'in

Off to Casa Depot to get the caulking I need to finish up soffit,fascia, gutter werk

Then, I may go hit a few *****, cut grass when the dew dries and then do nuting and rest

So, my brother in law has left his restored 1953 GMC deluxe cab pick me up in my garage for over a year. The tape deck was direct wire so the battery kept draining, I put a battery cut off switch on it and a trickle charger and threw some Irish spring in the cab. I'm done, I told him yesterday. He's bought 3 more cars with no place to keep them

I should of listened to my grand pa "Always marry and orphan"
End of rant

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 5th, 2018, 05:03 AM

Hi guys, I haven't been on in a while. Been really busy, selling 2 places and buying another. Our main house we have lived in since 1983, so there's LOTS of stuff, including parts for my Vista. Cutlass and F100. WOW! Sunday I had my son and grandson out and we got all the fenders, radiators,glass,etc,etc out of the rafters in the pole barn. Now all those parts are in the yard in piles, looks like I'm having a auction sale, but I'm not. I wish I could sell the Vista and all the parts with it as then I wouldn't have to move it all. I have a ad on craigslist and the Michigan auto swapper and on here but no luck so far. Probably will have to drag it all to barn. I have a old van and utility trailer that I take loads up there. We are moving to a regular home on Long Lake in Harrison,MI. which is about 75 miles from our Ashley house. We are also selling a log cabin on the lake which is around the corner. We have a buy/sell agreement on the house and looks like that one will sell first, so we will live at the cabin until it sells. Luckily we own a barn across the road from new house where everything is going. So, that's why I haven't been on CO lately. It feels good to be busy but is exhausting! Hope you all are well,
Greg
Old September 5th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Today was the first day I signed off all the wheels I was intended to. I was pretty happy. That number was 37. Doesn't sound like much but they actually take awhile to get built up. Traded off two contract wheels. Also, two more mechanics started yesterday, so I'm no longer the new guy. I like that, too.

Greg all that moving sounds complicated. No interest in the wagon? Eh, you need to keep it anyway. Good portable storage building.

Jeez Jamesbo, am I your brother in law? Actually, when I ran out of space, I bought more space.

Dan I think I could really buy a goose. I believe Chrysler had a car, one of the many re-invented K cars, called the 600 SE. Close enough.

Ran a couple errands this afternoon after work, one of which was to get my ears lowered. The place was closed! The hours on the door were like hobby hours. A couple hours here, a couple hours there, then I rode around looking for another place. You'd think there'd be plenty but nope, just the Korean woman's place. She does a good job but damn my ears are bleeding by the time I leave.

Okay I'm in for the evening. I think we'll have spaghetti for dinner and then off to bed. I was tired all day today. Looking back things have been going well the last couple months, but everything has been stressful. I need a vacation. A friend of mine turned 40 today and he's having a party next weekend. Maybe I'll go. It's in Australia.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old September 5th, 2018, 02:52 PM

Mike, What's a contract Wheel

Inquiring minds

Better watch yourself, or I'll give my brother in law your phone #
Old September 5th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Always room for one more

Go ahead, I wouldn't mind a 53 Chevy.

We have a contract with Endeavor Airlines to redo their wheels and tires. Which is ridiculous since they are wholly owned by Delta. Anyway, they are a Delta Connection carrier and those wheels come through with all the mainline wheels, hence theirs are the contract wheels, done under contract. For some reason, they are signed off under Part 145, and I need to attend a class for who knows what before I can sign off anything under Part 145. Delta wheels are signed off under Part 121 and that's what I've been using since I've been in maintenance.

I complain to the lead all the time about needing to get to this class, but actually I'm doing just fine without it. The contract wheels have about 10 extra steps to the paperwork and they will reject the wheel if the smallest thing isn't to their liking. I asked, if they are owned by Delta, why do we have to put up with such nonsense? No one has that answer. So, by not being able to sign them, it's way less work for me. Oh well.

Got an email just now from the guy with the convertible. He said he took the car to an upholstery place and they got the back seat out, but no broadcast card. He did say the floor was very solid with no signs of pin holes. I need to email him back and tell him I'm not interested. I think he's priced it a little high, but not stupidly high. I hope someone makes him a good offer and he takes it. He wants a 67 Delmont. I asked him if it needed to be black, got no answer.

My spaghetti was awesome and now I'm really tired. Even Tiger is stretched out on the floor snoring. I'm gonna hit the sack here pretty quick. Good night everyone.
Old September 5th, 2018, 04:42 PM
"Car"mudgeon

How's it g'wan Oldsmofriends? Good here. Busy as a one armed paper hanger here.
Update on the track hoe: She's still sittin' where they dragged it to. They're widening the road so they may leave it and put an American flag and a light to shine on Ole Glory when it's dark out.
Originally Posted by redoldsman
Scot, it is good to have you on here. I remember your posting and your car.
Thanks Glenn. It's good to be back

Originally Posted by Allan R
Jim, if it's just a small pinhole go buy a sharkbite connector. Cut the old copper and put the connector in. No soldering and it holds tight with no leaks.
I second the sharkbites. They do work well

Hopefully everyone has a perfect humpday evenin' ciao
Old September 5th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good evening all

Tried to get my ears lowered but Lisa was gone to look after getting one of her kids into school. Mebbe tomorrow.

Spent 3 1/2+ hours sanding the deck today. I'm only half finished. Sheesh this gets to be a real chore as one ages. I went through 3 belts for my Makita so I guess an early mawnin visit to Home Depot is in order to get some more. I already have the stain - it's a beautiful redwood semi transparent with UV blocking. Seems like projects nebber end....

Greg - I don't envy you with moving all that stuff.

Dan - almost all the new stuff nowadays is built for planned obsolescence.Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Jim - I believe you cursed me with all the talk of (yet more) home improvements....

Humpday has been not much fun.
Old September 5th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good Evening!
Awful day at the office, getting it from all sides. Oh well, that's life.

No home improvement projects for me, - yet. The house is still only 9 years old. But built in obsolescence is a real concern. Just the other day the stove decided it's going to go on a reduced work plan, the outer burners no longer heat up. Going to end up having to take it apart...and it's a tough one, it's all glass and digital. It had the nickname of "food replicator" because it looked and sounded like it was from Star Trek, Now I'm just about ready to blast it to the moon.

Did manage to get the Olds squared away for the winter. I'll attack it in earnest in Spring, that'll give me time to save up some cash and accumulate some parts. The goal will be to have the powertrain rebuilt by fall of next year and the car driveable. For that I have to rebuild the motor and transmission and check out the rest. It did all work when parked, but that was a long time ago.

Yeah...I'm done for the day...hope all of you had a great day, - tomorrow will hopefully be better!
Old September 6th, 2018, 04:43 AM

Mawn'in

My Ex mark zero turn mower belts were getting a little wear so, Put on 3 yeasterday. Should be ready to rip for a while

Mike, My brother in law owns a small building Downtown where he has his law practice and a loft to sleep in. when I say downtown, I mean downtown, Nassau st near the Ferris wheel. He's a real gearhead but doesn't have any place to put hi finished projects. Keep any eye out for any extra hangers A hanger downtown hanger would be great

Allan, I didn't curse you it comes with the deed

Scot, Sharkbite ain't a gonna help, I need to tear out all the little remaining copper while I've got the wall open. But thanks anywho

Nailhead come on down, I have a hammer that's jes you size

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 6th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone

Spoda be a really nice day today. I'll get started on the remaining sanding soon as I get back from Casa Depot. One of the belts broke on the seam about 10 minutes after I started using it. Wonder if they'll go for a free replacement. The second belt has been going for over an hour and no signs of quitting.

I gotta find where I left the bag that attaches to that belt sander. After I was done yesterday I looked the same color as sawdust. I used the leafblower to clean up the dust left on the deck. The missus is not pleased that I tracked some dust into the house during one of my breaks so she's locking the back door and making me use the garage entry.

Marc - we have an LG stove. Same thing - digital and glass (stainless steel). It's quit on us 2x . The first time was just past the warranty so I had to get a service call. Second time was just after the one year service call warranty. I called LG and splained the history of the stove. They said they'd cover it for lifetime repairs for the same issues. Looks like they'll be having to honor that warranty soon as the stupid thing is now kicking up F3 and F9 error codes on the display. The cooktop has worked fine though.

Jim - enjoy cuttin de hay. Wuctchu mean it comes wit de deed? I thought everything lasted forever

Scot - whuts up? Splain what dat means... Werk or home stuff?

Adrian - where are ya mate? Now that you sold the Jeep what are you using to get to work?

Clint - how many pigs, do you get them already butchered or is that something you have to do yourself?
Old September 6th, 2018, 10:37 AM

Inline, Here's an idear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ashpalt.jpg (35.1 KB, 7 views)
Old September 6th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Busy day as usual. No drama, no breakdowns, got out a little early.

Jamesbo I doubt you'll find an airplane hangar downtown. Not even an old one. There was no airport downtown and Atlanta didn't have one at all until the racetrack was converted in the 20s. And trust me, there are no available hangars now. So this guy sleeps at his office?

Well Marc, the joys of home ownership.

Scot maybe they can make a small visitor's center out of the track hoe. Easy to spot.

Well this is the umpteenth day I'm gonna try to get my hair cut. Might take Tiger with me. It's overcast out and not real hot, calls for rain at some point but they never actually say when.

Okay gonna go do it. Hope I sleep better tonight, I didn't do so hot last night, and of course when 0200 came around I had no desire to get up and go in to work. Maybe tomorrow, because I know we're getting out early. Have a good afternoon.
Old September 6th, 2018, 12:11 PM

Yep Mike,

It's and unknown world of poverty to you but it spelled

Old September 6th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have been off here a couple days. I went to the Texas Workforce Commission orientation this morning. They were very nice and I don't think they really think I am going to seriously look for a job which I am not. I just have to comply with the minimal requirements. I went out and had lunch with 4 of my former coworkers yesterday. I showed up in shorts and a nice tee shirt. My wife looked at me before I left and said "you really are retired aren't you?". I am going out and see if I can get the Sea Doos our of the garage and take some pictures for my Craigslist ad. I have to get the Olds out to move them. I may go to the Thursday night gathering of the gearheads.
Have a good evening guys.
Glenn
Old September 6th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo when I was a kid I really liked that song. Couldn't tell you why. Just did. Probably didn't understand it.

Was successful at getting my hair cut this afternoon.

Glenn good luck with the Sea Doos.

Too bad about Burt Reynolds.

Speed trap on North Henry Boulevard tonight. I learned from others' mistakes. Though I know that's the main revenue source so I don't go over the limit. I let others contribute.
Old September 6th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Oh no, not again...

Another murderous day, but I survived. It usually isn't like this, but since the company I work through is going through a major and relatively needless re-org there are a lot of testy people there. Now I'm one of them too. Misery loves company I guess.
I'll be slow cooking the meals for a couple of days yet; - haven't had time to attack the stove. I was hoping it was going to be easy and be the burner, but the book and Google says it might be the temperature regulators and not the burners, - if that's the case, they don't service the parts anymore. So much for the "Save the Olds" fund.

Burt Reynolds; - yes, it's sad...the first time I ever saw him was when I snuck into my mother's closet looking for Christmas presents. She had his Playgirl spread. I was 12. I was shocked, and what has been seen can never be unseen. Each time I watched one of his movies that image came back like a bad dream, - yeechh... He was a great actor and will be missed.

Allan, that's a miserable job, sanding down a deck. My neighbor avoided that hassle by just popping up the boards and flipping them. Once stained, the deck looked brand-new. He'll get another 5 years out of it and he says the next time it comes up he'll put on composite. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, - that after I liberated my belt sander from my father's place.

Mike, - haircuts are good, been trying to convince my young 9 year old son to do that. His hair is so long he pretty much has to climb a tree to take a dump.

Jamesbo, that old song brings back a lot of memories, some of them alcohol fueled. I've been lucky; married for 28 years so far. Her parents, each of them is on their third significant other, and I've got lots of friends who're there too. Heard that song a lot. The interesting thing is that around here service bays with lofts (ostensibly for offices) are probably going to get cheap around here as the oil patch continues to implode. There is a surplus of industrial rentals around already, I'm waiting for the next government snafu to take out even more of the Patch and then I should be able to rent one of those fairly cheaply for my projects. I knew a few guys who did that back in the early 80s the last time a PM with the same name ruined the local economy.

Glen, - Good luck with the SeaDoos!
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Anutter 4 hours sanding yesterday has left me weary and achey. Probably an hour left to finish sanding and then time for stain. I'll be glad when this job is done. Next time it needs to be done I'll probably use a deck wash and then coat with Deck Over.

Marc - I thought of that but it's not practical given the way my perimenter railings are built onto the deck. Besides, there's way to many screws to undo and then re-do. When my old deck came down I saved some of the 2x6 boards that were in good shape and re-purposed them onto the fence to replace some that weren't in great shape. So far so good. So are you going to bite the bullet and just buy another stove? Either that or start cooking on the grill..

Glenn - good luck not getting a job. It should be pretty easy. Pretty nice to be able to wear shorts and T shirt to a luncheon isn't it? Were the others kind of envious?

Jim - dats a great prank. Headin norte?
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:59 AM

Mawn'in

Sorry gang, I don't consider that song so "Old" We used to listen to it in college at the "Cow Palace" [just outside Oxford, GA] a local hang out that had the greasiest food in the norther hemisphere. Come to think of it most of the food in that county was awful. There was an all you could eat catfish joint all the kids used to go to, If you put any hush puppies in a bag to sneak home back to the dorm, the bottom on the bag would fall out. But by far the worst was "Mom's" [the only 24/7 place around]. Mom used to keep a pot of burned chili on the stove, if you order any she, simply added water and scraped the sides with a spoon. All the while dangling her half burned cigarette in her lips over the pot.

Glad I survived with only a peptic ulcer

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slept really good for about 4 1/2 hours last night. Tiger got me up before two, and I felt so good I stayed up and went in for overtime. We got our work done early and left around noon. Stopped at the Awful house on the way home. Now I have the afternoon to think about doing things.

After only 4 months of sleeping on the couch, I may have to ask that guy at the Awful house to come help me move that cabinet. I used to be friends with his brother and finally seem to have shaken him loose, but I'm afraid this guy will go brag to his brother that I hired him to help move things at my house and somehow that will equate to the brother thinking he should call me. And -that- I don't want. But I gotta move forward with that project and there's no one else to help me.

Got a few chores to get to this weekend, but I wouldn't mind having a little fun. I might have to scare some up. Oh, maybe pizza. Haven't been up there in awhile.
Okay gonna go do something. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
Lucy and I just got back from our walk a short while ago. We added a little to it and I think we are up to about 3 miles. That dog really loves the walk. I can get her halter or ask her if she is ready to go for a walk and she jumps up and runs to the front door and dances around. It is good for her and me. She wasn't getting any exercise and now she is. She does really well on her leash. It is cooler here with the high in the mid 80's today but really humid. We had a good rain on Labor Day and some since then. Some areas around the metroplex have actually had flooding. I am going to get out and do some yard work today. I didn't get the Olds out of the garage yesterday so I need to get me Sea Doo pictures today.
Jim, I don't consider that song old, I just consider it seasoned. Tammy Wynette had a great voice for country music but she was pretty lacking as an entertainer. Have a good weekend on the lake.
Allan, I think my buddies were a little envious of me wearing shorts and a tee shirt. They were good shorts and an Eddie Bauer tee shirt but I had a days growth of a beard.
Have a good weekend everybody.

Glenn
Old September 7th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good Evening!
Ok so I finally got out to where my Olds is and took some pictures. They aren't great, and the car really doesn't look that hot. It's pretty much in the same spot where I left it years ago, except a lot dirtier. The paint has really come off the roof, - which is to be expected considering it has spent the entire 65 years of it's life outside in some way. It has been moved around the property a lot though, and the floors are still reasonably solid. I am told that it still runs.
Here are a couple of shots, hopefully they loaded.
The car is in better shape than it appears. It's absolutely solid, there's no rust on the body and only one part of the floor on the driver's side is a bit soft due to a leak. The upholstery is a bit faded, but it's only under the driver's seat that it's really shot. The headliner is there but brittle and discoloured. The chrome could use some work, but it's all there and straight. The motor runs, the coil or the ballast resister is on the way out, it misses when it gets hot. Though it was the fuel pump, but it doesn't appear so. The transmission still shifts through all the gears, the last time this thing ran on a road it did 100 mph. Motor does need a full rebuild though, blow-by and and smoke is excessive. It's only running on about 6, the other 2 cylinders are low. The last license plate on the car dated to 1969, which is when I assume it was abandoned in someone's back 40.
So the plan is to get the motor and tranny out in the spring, and have the car mechanically sound enough to drive by next winter. Then comes the bodywork, which I'm probably going to end up doing myself. Showed the pictures to my boy this afternoon, he seems to be gung-ho to help out, particularly when I told him that this car could be his when he hits 16 and gets a license if he puts some work into it. We'll see how that works, I know of too many "father-son" projects that end up sitting at wreckers yards. At least if he quits, I'm still motivated.
What I'd like to source for this car is the correct power steering and power brake set up. Right now it's all "armstrong".
Attached Images
IMG_1112.JPG (490.8 KB, 6 views)
IMG_1113.JPG (510.0 KB, 6 views)
IMG_1114.JPG (658.7 KB, 6 views)
IMG_1115.JPG (606.4 KB, 6 views)
IMG_1118.JPG (688.7 KB, 6 views)
Old September 8th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Wasn't too busy. It's nice out. Tiger took a nap in the front seat while I was inside.

Marc that's a nice looking car. It should clean up. How cool would it be to ride around in that all the time. Hope your son stays enthused.

Went to bed early last night, only because I was tired. Slept real good and woke up at 430. I wondered why I felt so good and was wide awake. It was because I had slept 7 1/2 hours. There'd be no stopping me if I could do that during the week.

Think I'll take in the junkyard today. This afternoon I'll work on the dog mobile and maybe putter around in the yard. That should get us through to dinner.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by slantflat; September 8th, 2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old September 8th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Beautimus in the mountains,

Made a dozen at head biscuits, Red and I shared 2

They say lard is now god for you soooooooooooo

Marc, Nice set of wheels

Gonna take Das Boat out for a spin

have a great day Olds friends
Old September 8th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
We have had a big change in weather her. We are currently in the 70's with a low of 68 forecast for tonight. We had a flashflood last night and it is currently raining. The NTOC was invited to the monthly meeting of the North Texas Mustang Club at Cracker Barrel this afternoon. The do that every year but I think this one is going to be rained out. It starts at 3:00 and I don't see the weather improving in the next three hours.
Marc, you can make a nice driver our of that car. One word of caution on giving the car to a teenager. As you will find out, this is not like driving a modern car. You really have to drive these old cars. Brakes at best are marginal. I don't see this one has power steering and probably no power brakes. These things can be a problem for a young inexperienced driver.
Old September 8th, 2018, 02:36 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good Afternoon!

Kind of a rainy, cruddy day out, it started off nice enough that I decided to take one of my convertibles out to breakfast. So I used my "regular" summer driver, the 66 Electra. It ended up getting wet. Luckily it wasn't raining hard enough where it started to leak, which it does because it's got one catch that needs to be replaced so the windshield header doesn't completely seal. But still, it was nice to get out and drive an old car around, even though I had the top up and the heater on. The outside thermometer on the car said it was 50 out, sounds believable.

Jamesbo, - thanks, I hope they will be a nice set of wheels. Right now one of them is flat, and I have to shave up some Irish Spring soap to keep the wildlife out since the new owners of the property haven't hired a cat yet. So it'll hopefully smell nice when I open it up in spring.

Mike, it must be nice to still be able to tour a junkyard. They don't let us do that around here anymore, "Insurance regulations", or so I'm told. Let me know if there's a blue 53 Super 88 in there...need power steering and a Treadle-Vac.

Glenn, Oh, I'm fully aware how those brakes are on those cars, I've owned a number of 40's and early 50s vintage cars and have taught many kids how to drive on them. On that particular car I've rebuilt them and they aren't very great, which is why I want to find a Treadle-Vac. My boy is still too young to drive, he's only just turned 9. He'll learn how to drive on that thing before he gets to a modern car. He's also very risk-adverse, so I don't think he'll become a racer. But, you're right, things could change between now and then, so it's always a consideration. I fully intend to use that car as a daily summer driver once I get it built, so he'll grow up with it, depending on how long it takes me to get it finished.

Now I'm starting to look forward to working that car over...have to try and locate that Chassis Manual I had for one, it's got to be around here somewhere! Going to start ripping the house apart...