The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Everybody:

I hope I do better this morning than I did last night at sending a message. I had my annual physical (I think Humana calls it a wellness check) yesterday. Since I already had the results from the blood test there were no surprises. The nurse gave me a mental test to test for dementia. That starts at 65. She asks a bunch of questions which seem pretty silly. Then I had a circle and had to put to hours of the clock on it. Blood pressure was 120/69. Not too bad for an overweight 72 year old with no medication. I an happy with that. I have a very slightly elevated liver function. I may have to give up the one beer I have every afternoon.
Dan, I used to always get picked for jury duty. I have served on everything from aggravated rape to mental competency. I served as jury foreman twice. Once I turned 70 I don't have to serve anymore.
Allan, good luck at the doctors office and with getting a referral. Find a doctor now and there is a good chance he will be younger than you.
Mike, I would probably do carpet in the bedroom. It is probably cheaper and I don't like putting my feet on a cold floor when I get out of bed. I am also anxious to see the pictures of the Valiant.
I have been out for my walk this morning. I am going to grab a shower and go pick up my new jack and then stop at the parts store for a couple things. I will finish the Sea Doos this afternoon and get them on Craigslist. Have a good one guys.
Glenn
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:34 PM
Always room for one more

Okay this afternoon's folly is now complete. Went to the tag office to register the Valiant. Had already been to the insurance guy. I have bill of sale with me and the little girl says, do you have the car with you? I said no it isn't registered. Oh well I need a form blah blah something filled out, since you bought this car out of state it could be stolen. I said how ridiculous. So she prints off form something and gives me the number to the police, who have to come verify that I own the car and what its VIN is. Since she was a bitch I left her with, thanks for the big waste of my time. She just looked at me.

So, cop comes out, says the number comes back as a Plymouth van, but it isn't stolen. I have a feeling this guy had no idea what a Plymouth or a Valiant was. He fills out the form and leaves. I'll go back to the tag office tomorrow.

But while I was waiting I took a couple pictures of the car.

Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - Isn't it incredible what the medical profession gives you for dementia testing? On another note, isn't it incredible what the medical profession gives you to test for dementia?? Sorry, couldn't help myself. Elevated liver function? Hope it's nothing serious that will cut off your daily flow of hopps. I think there's meds that will restore or balance the liver enzymes. Yes sir, chances are the new Doc will be a lot younger than me. That's not a problem as long as he's smart and knows how to work with my aging body.

After my appointment, I went to Costco. Hahahahaha, anyone who's gone there for just one or two things knows exactly what happens when you walk through those doors. I swear there's gotta be some kind of virus in the air once I walk through the doors that short circuits my rational thought and triggers impulse buying?? I think they should rename it to MAWco.

When I got back I decided I needed to give the lawn a haircut since it was done on Tuesday. Honest to Gawd, I can't believe it grew almost 1 1/2" in that short a time. Must be on steroids or something. Only reason I did the cut was it's spoda rain here the next few days and I wanted to keep ahead of the curve. When I was done i got out my shop vac and vacuumed up all the acorns that were being knocked out of the Oak by the dang Blue jays. Noisy birds and messy too. I'm sure the neighbors got a good laugh at the guy vacuuming his lawn. Better I keep them cleaned up or during the winter the voles will be eating like kings.

Dropped off my new scripts and I'll pick them up tomorrow. Didn't feel like waiting around for them to be filled and I still have plenty at home. My diabetic nurse and I discussed increasing my Metformin dose to 1700 mg (up from 1500) and reducing the amount of insulin I have to inject each day. While we were discussing all this, she also told me the insulin I use (Toujeo) is getting approval for coverage under the seniors benefits program here. Likely it will be another 6-10 months, but that gives me a bit of hope because it wasn't covered before and that stuff is bloody expensive. I'll still have to pay a portion but not the whole balance.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:36 PM
Always room for one more

Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah, it sure looks like a 'Van' to me too Looks to be in surprising good body condition
Old August 23rd, 2018, 03:10 PM
Always room for one more

Well, VAn and VAliant have the first two letters in common. Could be what the Alabama DMV came up with.

While I was waiting for the constable I looked at the tires, described to me as new, and they are date coded 4202. Well, maybe they were new when he bought them in 2002. I have a set of tires that size in my basement that I ordered for a different Valiant, that are likely 5 years old, that I will have mounted on those rims. I'll be happy with that. The full discs are coming off and the original Chrysler moons and trim rings are going on.

So how about a poll. I'm not a fan of red, and the interior is redone and is beautiful, and very red. If I paint the car back to red it will be A LOT of red. I had thought about painting it a cream beige, to soften it up a little. I really would like to leave it "sitting out in the field and faded" red but it is going to need a new hood and I want to get some rust fixed in the quarters. I don't have to paint the whole car at once, but whatever I start out with I will have to finish with. Any other colors besides black that would go with a red interior? Green? It would look like Christmas.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 03:44 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike, I like the Valiant. I think I mentioned my friend's folks bought one in 1960 when they came out. It was black with a red interior. It was sharp.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 04:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Mike,
Colors that go with red interiors? How about White, Silver, Charcoal, Gold, Beige, Brown to name a few. I've seen some classics with blue exterior and red interior but it just didn't look right.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 04:27 PM
Always room for one more

For the 75th anniversary Suburban Chevy came out with this color called "Cashmere." Said they could only sell so many because they couldn't get very much paint. I'm guessing they didn't have an issue because the car was priced north of 75K. And who can't mix paint these days?

I would have called it beige. Shows what I know. Maybe I'll look around and see what I can find out about it. Then if I can't get it, I can always say, I wanted the Cashmere!
Old August 23rd, 2018, 10:25 PM

Cashmere was the color of my Saturn. Oddly enough, a co worker had the same year and color Saturn Aura, but the XE instead of the XR like I had, came with a different name, like Sahara Brown or something.
Old August 24th, 2018, 02:59 AM

Mawn'in

Busy week May not make it norte this weekend

Mike, I had to go thru the same silly stuff when I wanted a tag for my jeep trailer, The cop came out and when I went back to DMV, They gave [read sold] me a vin type plate to put on it. I have no idea what I did with it

BTW I like the red. If you paint it black every Georgia Bulldog is gonna want to buy it

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 24th, 2018, 04:32 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

White would be my pick. Mike, Mom should be coming home today. Her and Anesthesia do not have a good relationship.

Allan, Costco is one place I never just pop into to pick a couple items up.

Gonna see if I can get the alternator upgrade done on Brit tonight. Then hopefully we can take her out to Parker to pick up my forks for me Beta.

Have a day.
Old August 24th, 2018, 09:33 AM

Hmmm, how do you turn of the ice maker in a fridge? Darn thing won't stop making ice. Turn off the water to it? Not much on tutorials online. The show what parts to replace, but do not pin point anything, so I'm not going to replace parts one at a time to see if I get lucky. Cooler weather with rain for tonight and tomorrow.
Old August 24th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Hmmm, how do you turn of the ice maker in a fridge? Darn thing won't stop making ice. Turn off the water to it? Not much on tutorials online. The show what parts to replace, but do not pin point anything, so I'm not going to replace parts one at a time to see if I get lucky. Cooler weather with rain for tonight and tomorrow.
There's usually a metal arm connected to the ice maker in the fridge that you move up towards the top of the freezer until you feel it click.
Old August 24th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Longish day at work. We got out an hour early, which isn't early at all for a Friday, and I went in two hours early. And I'm going in tomorrow. I must be mad.

Dan if nothing else take some vice grips and pinch the supply line so it just can't get water. I can't imagine there wouldn't be a shut off valve for it.

Glenn I've read that the reason the Valiant finally went away was that it was too good of a car, they wouldn't die and people wouldn't get rid of them. Not a good thing for a company trying to sell new cars. The Australians absolutely love the Road Toad and there's a big following over there.

So back to the tag office this afternoon. I hope I don't get the same girl. If I do I might just let the person behind me go. It's a frickin' job, get over yourself. It's not like your whole life is wrapped up in the tag office. Or maybe it is. Wish me luck.

Okay, a couple other places I could go as well, so I'll go to them. Have a good afternoon.
Old August 24th, 2018, 11:45 AM

If raising the arm doesn't stop it, jus replace the whole thing. I'm fairly certain they're all the same. I had to wasp something around once but can't remember which part it was that had to be turned to make it werk

Mike, lee Iaccoa's books says the same thing, If they did 't break, no one would buy a new one. Built in obsolescence needed
Old August 24th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Jeff

Every icemaker I've seen in a refrigerator has an arm like the one in video link below.

https://producthelp.whirlpool.com/Re...ker_on_and_off

Don't crimp the line, that might lead to a water leak and a ruined freezer & floor. If there isn't a shutoff valve for the water line from the main plumbing, then turn off your water main and install one. Sweating pipes is easy. Don't half-*** plumbing, or you'll regret it later.
Old August 24th, 2018, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't crimp the water line either, The only way the ice maker knows to turn off is when the tray is full of ice raising the arm to shut it off. If you just crimp the water supply line, it's gonna think it needs to continue making ice w/o any water and the motor with go TU
Old August 24th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Always room for one more

I agree crimping the water line is not optimal, but if Dan is being overcome with ice and must escape to save life and limb, then perhaps it ain't such a bad idea. Maybe rip the thing out and get a couple ice trays.

So this trip to the tag office was much more benign. Got out for $20 and this girl was much nicer. I in fact did let someone go that was behind me so I wouldn't have to talk with the mean girl. And she got the registration right, which is not calling it a Plymouth. I'm sure she had no clue and just copied down what I put on the form.

Eight hours overtime tomorrow and the people that make a habit of doing it assure me we'll be out by 10. That's okay, I wouldn't be done with Awful house by then. Of course I wouldn't get up at 2 for the Awful house. I'll hit the sack in a couple hours. Sheesh.
Old August 24th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Dan - look in the ice making compartment where you can unload the bucket. There should be an on/off switch to the side of the ice cube size selector
Old August 24th, 2018, 08:34 PM

I wouldn't crimp the water line as it has a valve and filter behind the fridge, just looking for an easy way to shut it off. The ice tray was overfilling, and cubes were dropping from behind it into the lower compartment. I'll have a look for the switch and/or arm.I'm back, one minute later, and it's off. I saw the paddle that is supposed go up to shut the icemaker off, I have no idea why it didn't work. There is no light up there, so I am using that as my excuse for not seeing the on/off switch before.

Last edited by 1969w3155; August 24th, 2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old August 25th, 2018, 03:34 AM

Mawn'in

Whew, Glad we got that one solved. I probably woulda jes put a bucket in the freezer and put the extra ice in the dog bowl. Red likes his water cold

Not headed norte, Got 2 funeral this weekend One today and one tomorrow

Mike, When I go to the tag office, if the nice lady I kinda know isn't there, I turn around and walk out

Clint, Glad your mom is home, IMHO Hospital are a good place to get sick

I try never to go to any Big Box store Including Costco.

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old August 25th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Home from work already, that was an easy 8 hours of overtime. Stopped at the Awful house and now I'm set for the day. Think I'll go get my chain saw and cut up some wood.

Got some work to do to the dog mobile as well. Change oil, check the torque on the rear spring bolts, but I still haven't come up with a way to rotate the tires easily in the driveway. Man I'd hate to pay someone to do a job like that. Get one end on jack stands and just use the floor jack on the other? Tedious. I don't think I have four jack stands.

Beautiful out. I don't think it's 80. Sunshine, slight breeze. It's nice now, but I think this foretells of what's to come, early winter and cold winter. Yikes.

Have a good day everyone,
Old August 25th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,

Looks like Fall is arriving early. This morning it was only 39° outside. Cool enough that the furnace ran to warm up the house. Whacky weather. All the hoopla about getting rain is like the forecasters in MI I think. Lot's of talk and no action.

Not much going on today.

Dan - Now you know where the switch is. You can also choose the size of the ice cubes too. Did you notice the 3 size levels you can select?

Clint - Hope all stays well with your Mom. Brit will probably love the new alternator and cooling fans. Generally I don't go to Costco for just a few items. This was an exception as the missus asked me to get some of their bread which we all really enjoy.

Jim - Sometimes the best deals are at big box stores. Only problem is they sell in volume.

Mike - I'm surprised you don't have 4 jack stands.
Old August 25th, 2018, 10:56 AM

No Allan, I was just trying to turn it off. I rarely use it, so it will probably stay off.
Old August 25th, 2018, 01:28 PM

Evening. Almost midnight here, turning to sunday.

Been as a babysitter now for two days, when my wife has had other things going ( one concert, one birthday, and one birthday we both took part), and finally tomorrow i have one free day at whole week. Going to visit garage atleast. And heat sauna. Sounds like a plan.

Anyways, im just going to sleep, just came to wish great weekend for all you guys here. 4 months and im back there
Old August 25th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, we use out ice maker every day. Usually for cooling down drinks or for making smoothies. Our fridge is LG. We've only had one issue with it that was 'fixed' under warranty. The solenoid for the ice flapper wasn't strong enough and wouldn't shut the flapper. It worked for about a month after the warranty and then crapped out again. No idea why. Maybe I'll see if I can get a new solenoid and install it. If not, it will stay as is and we'll manually flip the flapper up when the solenoid stops buzzing. It really irritates the missus if I leave it open. What brand is your fridge?

Jouni - Back to where?? BTW you forgot to add and beers after the sauna!
Old August 25th, 2018, 03:21 PM

It's a G.E Allan. Not much going on here, overcast and muggy. Took a couple of backyard pics, a Monarch butterfly and bumblebee, posted on FB. A pair of Hummingbirds were out there, that's what got my attention, but by the time I grabbed my camera, they were gone.
Old August 25th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Always room for one more

Well it's dark out and I'm still awake. Amazing. But I'm going to bed in a few minutes.

Went to the shop to get the chain saw and got on the phone and talked for two hours. While I was there a police car came into the yard. I thought, this ought to be good. Out jumps a smiling officer shaking my hand. It was my neighbor from around the corner. He said he's been trying to meet me and saw the gate open so he thought he'd stop in. Nice fellow.

After that another guy that annoys me came into the yard and I told him I was just leaving. So he left and then I left. Came home and chopped down a few little things and cut up some firewood. Boy is my saw dull.

Question for the masses about powder coating. Is it real expensive? I want to put 14" wheels on the Toad and thought I'd get them powder coated. Does that stuff hold up well on wheels? Would I be just as far ahead if I blasted them and then rattle canned them? By the way, the shop I work in now is the same shop with the awesome aluminum oxide blaster I used(and broke) some years ago.

Well have a good night everyone. A guy I worked with today was trying to talk the lead into double time to butter the new tie bolts. Didn't work. I was going to be his side kick. That would be some good money for standing around wiping anti-seize on bolts all day. See ya.
Old August 25th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes powder coating is very durable. Prices vary from region to region. Most steel wheels are powder coated to resist salt/winter weather. Just google powder coating in your area and then phone around for pricing. The costs have come down a lot from the old days.
Old August 26th, 2018, 07:09 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slept good, got up late, went to Awful house. Not a bad way to spend the morning. Got some things to do on the dog mobile then I don't know what to do. I need to go to Walmart at some point, and it's a school night so I'll be in bed early.

Beautiful out and cool. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old August 26th, 2018, 07:10 AM

Beautiful day in the neighborhood

For some unknown reason, the batteries in my 3 wood went TU, so I had to take a lesson to figger out WTF was wrong. Sooooooooo, between funerals, I've been hitting golf ***** to try to get back on track

Mike, I have 8 jack stands 12 chain saw files and I'm pretty sure there's a powder coating place off hwy 9 in Cumming, Let me know if I can help ya out

Back to parking atttendant at funeral then maybe hit a few more *****

Old August 26th, 2018, 07:20 AM

Evening.

Off from sauna. Allan, i thought everybody takes beer as granted
Installed completetely childs seat on Cutlass, did some measuring, visited mall. Quess that was my day. Going to watch some movie Still, then to sleep. After few beers

Powder coating atleast here is cheaper than "real" painting of wheels, and its really durable. Uses RAL-colour codes atleast here, many many choices.
Coated one set of widened Volvo 144 wheels once.

Have a great sunday all!
Old August 26th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Moring Guys:
I just looked and it has been three days since I have posted. Not a whole lot has gone on. I picked my air jack up on Friday from Northern. This thing is pretty cool. I got my air compressor to work long enough to try it out. My compressor is an older 4 horse Craftsman with a 20 gallon tank. I ordered a new belt for it and am having a hard time getting it to stay on. I have an upright compressor in the warehouse that has a 60 gallon tank. It may be time to go get it. I will have to get my brother to bring his truck and help me get it. I got the Sea Doo back together and it runs okay. I did get the head off the one with the bad engine and the front cylinder is scored pretty bad. I found out you can rebuilt the top end without removing the engine. I am first going to try and sell it as is. I just need to clean them up now and get the Craigslist done. We went with other member of the NTOC to serve brunch at the Fisher House (https://www.fisherhouse.org/about/) yesterday. We do this twice a year. Fisher House is like the Ronald McDonald house but it is for families of Veterans in the VA Hospital. It is an outstanding place and a heartwarming experience to help. When we got home my part for the clothes dryer had come in. We had been without a dryer for over a week. With five people in the household we were getting pretty low on towels. I will probably finish cleaning up the Sea Doos this afternoon and rearrange some stuff in the garage to make room for the air jack.
Have a good day guys.
Glenn
Old August 26th, 2018, 08:29 PM

The rain is coming down in torrents.
Old August 27th, 2018, 03:06 AM

Mawn'in

Tis Monday, so guess what

I'll report back on how well my lesson helped my game

Old August 27th, 2018, 05:23 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Welp, got Brit running. Still have more work to do on her. Put the Forks back on and went and rode for a couple hours for the first time this year.

Mom has a blockage. She hasn't left the Hospital. They are talking about Surgery #2 today. Sheesh.

Have a day all.
Old August 27th, 2018, 10:03 AM

Clint, hope that it goes well for your mom. We got 2"-6.3" of rain last night depending on where you were in the county. A gully washer. TV and internet were out for quite awhile.
Old August 27th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, If you put Duracell or Energizer Alkaline batteries in yer drivers, I'd guess 44/44. MEBBEE even 44/43
Old August 27th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Clint hope the second time is the charm. Must have been some serious gall stones.

Hectic day at work. Was planning on getting up early to go in, but didn't sleep worth nothin' last night so I went in at the regular time. Not much progress was made and we were behind all day, and then the tire retriever broke and we were short maybe 10 wheels. Eh, the lead didn't seem too fussed about it. I'll try to go in early tomorrow. Got a couple of schemes brewing.

Dan dump all your extra ice outside and you'd be the world's biggest glass of ice water.

Glenn I've heard of the Fisher houses before. Also heard that Denzel Washington went to see one once, asked how much it cost to build one, and wrote a check on the spot. That might be a myth but it would be cool if it were true. Are you anywhere near Magnolia, TX?

Summit cruise in tonight. I should take the Valiant but the carb leaks and I don't feel like messing with it right now. I could take the Deuce. Had it on a nice ride yesterday it would be ready to go. I wouldn't get home until tomorrow morning.

Okay gonna find something to do until time to leave. Hope everyone has a good afternoon.