The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2018, 12:39 PM

True BUT, there's a glitch with Ga Power, With the invent of VRBO many people were renting their homes out. Ga power wrote a nice letter to all of them saying, If you rent your house out, we'll void the ground lease [per the agreement of course]

That put a stop to it pronto.
Old August 7th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is interesting. I bet that did put a stop to it. I don't imagine Alan Jackson or Nick Saban were too concerned about that. They might be the ones that notified GA Power.
Old August 7th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Holy samolians and jumpin catfish Glenn. You talk like a lawyer...
Old August 7th, 2018, 01:40 PM

What happened was a sleepy lake got more 'Renters' alot of people want to keep it quieter [less crowded,] Then you have :some homeowners that didn't want to have renters, buy wake boats

It's the same ole same ole

The county government couldn't pour pi$$ out of a boot with the directions on the heel. We [meaning lake property rents and owner] pay over 70 % of the whole county taxes for exactly 0 services, [private security, well water, volunteer fire department ] But there's a new "consulting business" that "Helps" counties [for a fat fee of course] They just logged onto VRBO and voila the county starts collecting Hotel/motel type tax on lake owners renting out house. Then Ga power nixes the whole deal

I never have to deal with Ga power except when I want a dock permit. Even though I own [fee simple] the bottom of the lake, they claim control with flood rights. It would be an interesting Alluvial law case, that's IMHO not worth the effort
Old August 7th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, that makes me think of the movie Summer Rental with John Candy. He was such a funny guy. Some people just have to screw up a good thing like buying wake boats.
Allan, when you work with lawyers long enough, some of it rubs off on you.
Old August 7th, 2018, 02:20 PM

I was in the Real-estate business for 40 years, I ended my career and closed my office when I started spending the morning keeping secretaries for clawing each others eyes out over who parked in which parking space. AND I never miss it for a second

There's none of the Nanananana [negotiating] over cemetery lots
Old August 7th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You don't have to worry about non-paying tenants or anybody moving out in the middle of the night.
Old August 7th, 2018, 02:31 PM

or roof leaks, broken HVAC the list goes on and on like the Energizer Bunny
Old August 7th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
You don't have to worry about non-paying tenants or anybody moving out in the middle of the night.
Now THAT is funny
Old August 8th, 2018, 05:21 AM

Mawn'in

Nice cloudy and not too hot YET

Maybe we could talk a little 'Force Majeure" or some other real-estate lingo. We used to manage alot of shopping centers and apartments and do a good bit of REO property management for banks and other lending institutions. If you ever negotiated a deal with Men's Warehouse, you'd wish you hadn't

Speaking of the Lake, The wonderful county just put up a new road sign "Cherocee Rd" Someone on FB said, 'The best idiots money can buy"

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 8th, 2018, 06:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Anutter hot one in store today. Not looking forward to tomorrow or Friday - they're spoda be in the 90's.

Jim - I had to look that up. Hmmm, I thought even the dept of highways used spell check. Mebbe they were 'high' when then they misspelled that sign.

Happy humpday everyone.
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Jeff

Wow, most of those boathouses are bigger than my lake cottage!

Mike, personal watercraft (PWC's) run the gamut of styles, and hull size / shape affects the ride dramatically. If you're thinking about buying one, do some research. I have a preference for SeaDoo's, as I owned a '95 XP with 80hp from '96 to '04. It was technically a 2 seater, but it was a performance machine that was the preferred hull for a long time of guys that raced. I currently own a '93 Kawasaki SC, dubbed the "Sea Couch", because riders sit side by side instead of traditional in line. I bought it to teach my kids how to ride, as the steering slides from side to side so you can take turns w/out having to get in the water.

99.999% of PWC's are jet drive. There was an oddball early machine that had an outboard on the back. All new machines today are 4 stroke fuel injected, I believe. Bombardier (SeaDoo) was the first company to start converting. Older machines were 2 stroke oil injected. If you start looking, pay attn to sun fade, delamination of gel coat, condition of hull. Lots of telltale signs of abuse and poor maintenance, just like with a car. Number one sign is scratched up hull, because that could indicate that the owner rode up onto beaches. Big run away sign, b/c the jet pump will suck sand and rocks into the pump, which then can get into the water jackets of the engine, and also chew up the impeller.
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:44 AM

Welcome to the asylum Weezer, Now could you run down to Georgia and put one of those Jet drives in Mike's Amphi, He would promise not to beach it on the sand

AND I wouldn't let him drive it up my driveways
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, when I left at the end of March I was in the early stages of negotiating a lease with Raytheon. My team leader finished it and said it was very difficult. They leased the second floor of a vacant 50,000 sf office building in California. Basically they did not negotiate. They just told them what they would do and said take it or leave it. I am not missing that part of the business. As a matter of fact I am not missing any other parts of the business either.
Weezer, I have two 1994 Sea Doos. One is a GTS with 49 hours on it and the other is a GTX with 21 hours on it. The GTS has a few scratches on it but runs great. I have to take the carb off and clean out the little screen filter in there that you have to do about every 2 years. Unfortunately the GTX has a blown engine in it. I let a coworker try then out a couple years ago and the clear oil line was brittle and broke. I guess he didn't know it and kept running it. Pretty aggravating. They are on a dual shop built trailer instead of one of those flimsy ones that rust from the inside out. I am waiting on a handlebar cover to come in for the GTS and then I have to repair one of the winch stands and they will be ready for Craigslist. They are nowhere as fast as the new skis but for little money somebody with kids and a family can have a lot of fun with them. The GTX is certainly worth putting a new engine in. I am just going to let somebody else do it. Mike, I could probably meet you in Jackson, Mississippi if you have any interest.
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Jeff

Yes, I'm familiar w/ the GTS and GTX's. Being '94's, they probably have the 587 and 657 engines in them? That's the reason that they aren't very fast... big hulled PWC's with only 60 & 70hp. Much better than the dog 650 in my Sea Couch, which is a whole whopping 52hp. Makes you wonder what Kaw was doing wrong and Bombardier was doing right, but that's also the reason why I prefer SeaDoo's. Plus, Kaw used crappy aluminum impellers that everybody hates. I picked up my Couch for $1100 w/ trailer, but the gelcoat is delaminating in a few spots pretty bad. Motor is stong. Impeller... stock and KA-rap.

The GTX, w/ it's blown motor, probably won't be worth much to anyone due to the overabundance of old hull availability on the 90's era SeaDoo's. That's a shame that it happened to a machine w/ such low hours. Someone out there might have the opposite problem, though... wrecked hull from unexpected encounter w/ rocks or a log.

Last edited by Weezer; August 8th, 2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added pic of Couch
Old August 8th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another day of rolling wheels around. At least it wasn't like in that back room. The lead assures me I'll be ready to go next week. Eh, whatever.

Thanks Glenn. This will be a project that, if ever, will happen down the road a little. I wouldn't need the motor, just the jets. How do they get their power from the motor?

Welcome Weezer. I can't imagine a jet ski with an outboard motor. That would be a little awkward.

Remember that kid(who's 40 and has nothing and lives in his dad's garage) that wanted parts off my 65 parts car? He called this afternoon and wanted an axle from said parts car. Wanted to know what I wanted for it. I waited for him to pull it out and put the car back together and said, oh I was thinking maybe a buck and a quarter. The look on his face was priceless. You want that much? He thought I was serious. I ended up telling him just to take it and if I ever needed a favor I'd call. Trouble with that is if I ever called it would be his dad that helped me out, not him. All I can say is I'm glad he's not my son.

Jamesbo I think the inmates need to go to school a little more. Oddly enough, if they went to school to begin with they might not be inmates.

Well I'm gonna do the line trimming that I didn't do yesterday. Hump Day is over. The rest of the week is down hill. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old August 8th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Weezer. My skis would be good for a family with youngsters with a lakehouse that just wanted to get out on the water and have some fun. They will run somewhere in the +40MPH and the GTX might hit 50. I had just had the carbs rebuilt on the GTX to the tune of about $300. It is really a shame that the guy blew the engine since it is in such nice condition. I am thinking that the trailer and both skis are worth about $1500. The trailer is built out of channel iron and I painted it with POR15. It will last forever. The bunks are even pressure treated 2x4's. I see rebuilt 657 engines for $600-$800 but that does not include installation. I need to get these sold before the season is over. Thanks for the info.
Old August 8th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Always room for one more

I was in Texas last year and happened to get video of Glenn on his jet ski.

Facebook Post

Old August 8th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You really have a good eye Mike. I am surprised you could tell it was me with the helmet on. That thing is insane. Scary. Jim needs that guy on his lake. Sure he does.
Old August 8th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Not,

It;s funny [ironic not haha] that if you buy on the open water, ya get the great mountain views AND the jet ski noise. I'm on a very private cove so we don't get anything but the occasional fisherman with an electric trolling motor
Old August 9th, 2018, 05:41 AM

Is anyone gonna post this mawn'in?
Old August 9th, 2018, 06:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Nice cool morning but the air quality is poor. There are fires in BC that are sending their smoke our way and I think it looks a lot like Los Angeles with a sort of gray film that I can see about 150' away. It probably will stick around all day and I don't know if that will help keep the temps down. I doubt it. Twas like this yesterday and it was still hot in the pm.

Hmmm, last couple of days I got little mushrooms popping up in the back yard. I harvest them for the trash but I wonder what causes them (other than the possibility of bird poop). At this time of the day the grass has a heavy coat of dew and the temps are only around 55° so mebbe that's perfect for breeding mycelium?

Thorsday today, so I just took out the trash for 2 houses; mine and the one across the street that I'm pet sitting. I put a hefty bag of pet poop in the big bag and sealed it or the trash guy here won't take it. Everything that's bio has to be double bagged for pickup. Plenty of time for a shower and then head out to see the boyz for brekkie.

Jim - Goodness son, yer getting impatient in yer ol age. Did de supermodel rub ya the wrong way today on wakeup?? Not everyone is up and about when you are. I'd offer to get up and post for ya, but that means I'd have to get up at 2:30 am local time to post before you wake de supermodel, and dats jess not happening
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Not,

It;s funny [ironic not haha] that if you buy on the open water, ya get the great mountain views AND the jet ski noise. I'm on a very private cove so we don't get anything but the occasional fisherman with an electric trolling motor
Jim, I'm lucky to be down one of the cleaner bays / coves on my lake, too. It actually opens up wider, so that we're able to have enough swim area and boats can still pass by w/out us having to get out of the way. AND, we don't get the jetski noise and wake erosion on our shoreline.

Glenn (Redoldsman), do I have your name right? Anyway, $1500 is too cheap. I'd recommend listing for $2000, since a nice 2 place trailer and a good running 3 seater, in nice condition, is worth AT LEAST that much.
Old August 9th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Everybody:
Allan, thanks for getting Jim straightened out. Sounds like he was about to get his BVD's in a wad. I see he posted at 7:41 so he had probably been up for 3 hours. I am doing pretty good today since it is still morning.
It has been in the 70's here this morning and was threatening rain but it hasn't happened yet. We really need the rain.
Not too much on tap today. I am sending our my required 4 resumes out to satisfy TEC (Texas Employment Commission). Since I am eligible for unemployment I am going to draw it. My wife asked me what I would do if somebody offered me a job. At my age and the salary I was making I don't think there is any chance of that. I didn't put a lot of effort in the resume. I can draw almost $500/week for 26 weeks. I had to wait until the severance ran out and am surprised I can draw unemployment while I am drawing social security. My employer paid into TEC so I have no qualms about drawing it.
My wife came in to talk (in tears because she has been in pain for almost 8 weeks) so now it is past noon but I did start this response this morning.
Have a good day guys.
Glenn
Old August 9th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - anytime. BTW I always thought you were in the same time zone as I am but it turns out your an hour ahead instead of 2 like Jim. I get a timestamp of 6:41 on his post, which is 4:41 our time. Gee, ya think the guy could have waited just ONE more minute?? That would have been a correct Olds time to post.
Old August 9th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Weezer, you got the name right and I appreciate the input on the pricing. I will start out at $1,995. Somebody could spend a some money on the GTX and have two older but decent skis for less than $3,000. I don't think they would find two 24 year old skis with those low hours on them anywhere. And they have a trailer that will last a lifetime.
Thanks
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:03 AM

Geeze Louise, What is it kick Jamesbo around day?/

I'm taking sum antibiotics so I gotta werk before the sun comes out. Had ta put the center plow back in my spring tooth plow [took it out to cultivate] Then never planted the garden. 1st time since 1976 that I haven't had a garden, and I must say, I don't miss battling weeds, deer, ground hogs and squirrels. But I don't wanta have a bunch of weeds either, so I jes plow it

If ya don't wanta make hay while the sun shines, ya better have lights on your tractor

Have a great kick me around day Olds friends
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Geeze Louise, What is it kick Jamesbo around day? Have a great kick me around day Olds friends
Sorry ta hear yer under de weather Jim
Spoiler

Last edited by Allan R; August 9th, 2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:18 AM

Tanks Allan it's nothing but a little infection in my foot, I need to wear shoes at night when I go Tepee creaping.
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wunderd whut you were up so early fer. Teepee creepin is ok...
Old August 9th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Allan, I saw your post in another thread about buying new cars often

My ex-wife's father bought 1 car in 1945 and kept it until he passed in 1998 [VW bug with several engines and floor pans replaced]

Now you alignment [should you wish to accept it] Do the math, Most people's buying every 2/3 years and his. [assume he put the extra cash in CD's]
Old August 9th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - I figger buying cars every few years is still cheaper than new wives every 10.... BTW I have turned into your ex wifes father. I buy a car now and keep it for around 20 years or so. If you count the 72 and factor that in ( I bought it for $1.00) I'm still ahead of the game.
Old August 9th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well today at 130 I got my authorization and can now sign off wheels. I even made the report today. Mike-1. I might even go in two hours early tomorrow for overtime to get extra practice. The guy I've been hanging with is a wizard at this stuff and he can catch the smallest discrepancy. I should be okay under his tutelage.

It must be raining in Canada.

Jamesbo on your father in law's calendar I have enough cars for over 1000 years. That's okay, I have about that much firewood, too.

Big storm here came up all of a sudden. I was talking to a guy in the parking lot at work and saw the lightning out my way. Stopped at the gas station and it started raining before I left. Now it's thunder and lightning and a downpour. I thought I might get to the trimming today that I've not gotten to all week. Nope.

Well I'll go find something to do. Hang out here I reckon.
Old August 9th, 2018, 12:53 PM

Allan, What I was trying [to get you to do] illustrate

1945 paid $500.00 for new car
1948 paid $800.00 for new car

etc

Then put $500.00 in Cd then $800.00 in CD

And see how much moe he saved
Old August 9th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - yer doin fine with the cypherin. Carry on and I'll watch

Mike - Yeah, Toronto got hammered with almost 4" of rain in 1 hour. I feel sorry for them because it turned everything into a swimming pool. Underpasses, low lying streets, parking garages, houses etc. Out west here we could use some rain, so please send it up? Currently right now it's 96° outside but inside it's a pleasant 73°
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:33 AM

Mawn'in

I think it's 'bout time to change subjects, I've run out of fingers and toes

Headed norte

Enjoy the weekend Olds friends
Old August 10th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Everybody:

My wife had an 8:30 appointment with the pain doctor this morning we were up and out early. We are looking at a couple injections to start with and then go from there. She will have to be off her Eliquis for about 5 days before each injection. That is of concern but we will get there.
Mike, congrats on getting the sign off authorization. I know you were ready for that.
Jim, enjoy the lake. Now that I have seen pictures I know how much you will enjoy it. What a beautiful place. We don't have scenery like that in Texas.
Allan, we actually go a very light sprinkling this morning and it was in the 70's when we were out earlier. Rain is in the forecast.
That is about it for this morning Olds fans. Hope everybody has a good day.
Glenn
Old August 10th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Friday morning everyone,

Last day of pet sitting I hope. I messaged Richard to ask if he was coming home today or tomorrow. No reply yet so I'm guessing maybe today, especially with the heat and poor air quality in the mountains.

Glenn - Now that you know how popular lake activity is, you might even up the ante on the Sea Doos. We got your temps here thankee very much. Yesterday we hit 96° which is unheard of here in AB. I spent a good 2 1/2 hours this morning watering everything trying to avoid a Stalin scorched earth policy....

Jim - Dats whut kalque laters are fer!! Have fun at de lake.

Mike - Have fun with the sign offs. I spose that means you have to check everyone elses work to make sure the tire doesn't go tango uniform on the aircraft? Does the tire shop also do brakes when the wheels and tires are done?
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got off work early and hit the Awful house on the way home. Beautiful out.

First full day of signing things off. I didn't mess anything up too bad and my guy was there to help if I needed it. Forgot to change one reference and I thought oh hell, but he was there and said do this, no big deal. Everything turned out fine. Last wheel of the day, I went to check it and the first tie bolt I touched was loose. So was the second one. Heck they were all loose. So I said to the wall guy(guy who puts the bearings in and is supposed to check these things) I got a couple tie bolts loose. Well, it was aired up and everything so we de-aired it rather quickly. It was a nose tire so the pressure wasn't that great, still would have been a bad thing. All in all I think I can stick with this gig for awhile.

The brakes are done in the same shop but there's no overlap. There's the brake side and the wheel side. Might as well be two different shops. On the airplane, the brakes are changed independently of the tires. That has the potential of creating extra work, because if the tire is worn it's changed, but then later on the brake could wear and then that tire comes off for the brake but then goes right back on. Most guys when changing a tire or brake, will look at the other and if it's close, even if it's still within limits, will change both. It helps the guy down the line.

Glenn hope the injections do the trick. Is this some sort of cortisone?

Jamesbo you know Alan Jackson used to have an Amphicar. Maybe he still has it. You should ask him at the next neighborhood get-together.

This afternoon I'm going to throw all the neighbor's firewood over the fence. Yesterday when Tiger was out the neighbor's dog climbed up on the firewood pile and jumped over into my yard. There was not a lot of commotion, but that doesn't need to happen again. I've been whittling away at that pile for quite awhile now, but it has to be done now or that will happen every time. They don't use firewood and it's stacked along the fence so it will be easy to get rid of it. Just chuck it into my back yard.

Well Happy Friday everyone. Hope you all have a good weekend.
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

How did the firewood get in your yard?