The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2018, 10:17 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Look at me, home two hours early. And, we had steak and potatoes. The department puts out an enormous amount of work and the foreman set this all up as a thank you for kicking ***. Really nicely done.

This afternoon I'm headed to the insurance place, then the tag office, to get the Jeep all set up. I wish I would have brought the paperwork for the Valiant home with me instead of leaving it in the car. Tonight I'm going to hang out with my buddy from my other department for a couple hours. It will be fun being there and not having to work. Who else would go to work to hang out on their off time?

Jamesbo you still got rain? The sun is out here and it's nice and warm. Hopefully this continues and I'll be able to mow tomorrow.

That roof will look nice, Dan, and since your house is not white, like the one in the picture, it won't look like IHOP. Have fun at the Gilmore tomorrow. I gotta get up to that place some time.

Okay off to it. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 02:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,
Late to the dance I guess. It's a cooler day here. Started out with rain this morning and cool wind blowing this afternoon. Spoda have some possible T storms but so far Nada.

Dan - the house pic I posted was just as an example of color. I know you're not going with asphalt shingles. That sounds like an expensive roof, but maybe that's reasonable since I don't have any idea what metal roofs actually cost. I'm guessing the labor is the most expensive part? Good to hear your name wasn't in the obits

Jim - Y'all didn't head Norte this weekend?

Mike - have fun with the tags and insurance. I bet the Jeep will be a lot of fun to drive. Maybe also a thirsty thing to feed as well.

Not much happening today. I guess I'll be pet sitting next week. My (good) neighbor Richard and his family are leaving for the coast for a week. Lucky him. Oh, his daughter, who is only 12 wants to wash and wax his truck before they leave. Lucky him!

Old August 3rd, 2018, 03:12 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo do you know if the state is not charging sales tax on used cars anymore? I went to the tag office and the total bill was $20. That's the tag fee. I was under the impression I was going to have to pay a couple hundred bucks tax. See, the state thought they were losing out on too much revenue(pocket lining) by not charging tax on private used car sales, so now even private sales have to pay because of the "one time tax." Which coincidentally is 7%, just like sales tax. I didn't say a word, the woman was new and maybe she just cost the state some money. I did ask her if I could put the sticker on the plate because if she put it on crooked my head would explode every time I saw it. Oh she said, you're OCD. Eh, I've been called worse. Guess what. She didn't put the sticker on.

I went to the Department of Revenue's website and it said put in your VIN. It said, this vehicle is not eligible for the TAVT. I thought, hm, how could the state purposely turn down money? Weird. Jamesbo I know you haven't bought anything for awhile just thought you might have heard something.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 09:32 PM

Actually, it's cheap Allan, my sister, with a smaller house, paid 8k about 6 years ago for a steel roof. It is $1500 more than the architectural shingles that I was quoted. It will last longer, and will keep snow from building up on the roof. In 2002, I paid $5000 to have my old house re roofed with architectural shingles. That house was 1000 sq. ft not counting the basement, this one is 1400 sq. ft.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 09:34 PM

Actually, it's cheap Allan, my sister, with a smaller house, paid 8k about 6 years ago for a steel roof. It is $1500 more than the architectural shingles that I was quoted. It will last longer, and will keep snow from building up on the roof. In 2002, I paid $5000 to have my old house re roofed with architectural shingles. That house was 1000 sq. ft not counting the basement, this one is 1400 sq. ft. Here we go again:
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 30 seconds.
Old August 4th, 2018, 04:10 AM

Mawn'in

Well the rain has stopped fer a while

Mike, I didn't know that but I'll keep it in mind while I shopping for a Testarossa

Allan, I had a funeral late yesterday so I'm headed norte now

Dan, You're gonna love the metal roof

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 4th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Busy but not crowded. Since I don't go on Mondays anymore it feels like such a long time between going there. Weird.

I sure would like to find someone to help me with the cabinet in my bedroom. I'd like to get back to my painting project but that thing is in the way. Going on 4 months of camping in the living room. Still comfortable, but growing a little long in the tooth.

So I went to hang out with a buddy of mine I used to work with. I went upstairs to the meeting and got the uneasy feeling like I still worked there. The first plane we went to needed three First Class seat shrouds changed. I had never changed these before. The screws holding them on were buried and pretty much inaccessible. I got one half off and the screw started rounding, and I said you know what, I'm not going to do this anymore. I'm gonna mess this up and you have to sign it. So it didn't take long for me to realize I made a very good move transferring out of there.

My big plans for the day are to mow, and then give Tiger a bath. Not sure how that's going to turn out, but he scratches all the time and I know his skin is dry. Funny, he doesn't really smell like a dog. I don't think he's ever had a bath, this could prove interesting.

Okay gotta find something to do while I wait for the grass to dry off. Have a good day everyone.
Old August 4th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
I have been kind of lazy the last couple of days. I took my wife to the surgeon on Thursday. The good news is he is not recommending surgery at this time. She has a couple issues going on. She has the cystic tumor on the nerve coming out of her spine and it is right where the nerve comes out. Doctor said that 95% of the time these are benign. The other issue is she just has a bad back. Treatment right now is medication for pain and physical therapy. We will have another MRI in three months and see if the tumor has grown any. We are both relieved there is no surgery involved at present. If she does require surgery it would be about 3 hours and 4 weeks recovery.
I went up to the local car gathering Thursday night. This thing has been going on over 20 years and has had several locations. It is mostly old farts so I fit right in. The weather was nice and I visited with a guy and his wife that brought their 60's vintage Cougar convertible. The also have a couple Mustangs and an 81 Corvette. Going to do some of the yard work I have been talking about and maybe fool with the Sea Doo today. I did get it cranked yesterday. It is really too bad the oil lines on the other one cracked and ruined the engine. It is the nicest and fastest of the two and only has 21 hours on it. If I were keeping it I would rebuild or replace the engine. I am going to let somebody else do that.
Have a good day my friends.
Glenn
Old August 4th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Old August 5th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful, beautiful day out. We could have this the rest of the year.

Tiger did well with his bath yesterday. He didn't like it at first, big surprise, but he relaxed and then everything was fine. He's all squeaky clean now and puffy. And I got my mowing done so that was a plus.

Later on I'm going to Harbor Freight. They have a portable garage on sale that I want to check out. If it's actually an enclosed one then it will be a pretty good deal. The flyer is ambiguous about it. Eh, we'll see. Might go to the junkyard first.

So okay have a good day everyone. Gotta hit it and quit it because tonight is an early one. 0345 seems a little early when you're out late.
Old August 5th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:

Not too much going on here today. Worked on the Sea Doo a little bit yesterday. Hope to have it ready for Craigslist sometime this week. I do a little more on it this week. I have to order a handlebar cover and new grips for it.

Allan, have you ever seen the Russian group that does Chicago? They may be better than Chicago. Chicago was one of my favorite bands of the 70's. I still have some Chicago vinyl. Here is a link to the Russians.

Glenn
Old August 5th, 2018, 12:24 PM

Morning all, not a cloud in the sky for the last few days and I drive to work this morning with heavy fog. Usually means a cloudless day ahead.

So washing Tink’s car on Saturday and I noticed the front passenger wheel has forward and backwards movement while cleaning the tyres??? Turns out the lower bushing has died so now I have to replace them. Can’t do one without the other. Ordered the parts on Saturday. Looking into the job I either drop the whole sub frame to get the bracket out that holds the bushing then use my press to replace, spend $200 on a pulling tool to use once or make my own puller at work and use that. Guess which one I opted for?

Have fun smacking whitey around Jim.

Enjoy the tain while it lasts Allan, beats paying to water the yard 😁

Good to hear eat the rain cleared up long enough for you to get the mowing done Mike.

Almost time to start my day, take care everyone,
Adrian
Old August 5th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,

I decided to take some stewardship of the local walkway close to our house. It's a gas pipeline that the city made into a walkway. Some parts of it are literally festooned with thistle and dandelions. I'm not silly enough to try and do this all at once so I've elected to do a patch every day and dig out the weeds with my trusty small head garden spade. There's a garbage drum anchored to one of the walkway lights that I'm gonna fill with the weeds I dig out. I expect this will be a loooonnng project.

At home my oak tree has been dropping mini acorns. Hmmm, not sure what's up with that. But I got out my shop vac and vacuumed them off the lawn and driveway before cutting the grass. Yeah, I'm sure the neighbors got a double take looking out their window and seeing me vacuuming the lawn. All I can say is I take pride in my property. I also had time to wash the Saturn and Malibu before it got hot. Now I'm just chillin with a cold diet pepsi and thinking about watching a football game I PVR'd last night.

Adrian - Bummer! Doesn't sound like a lot of fun. To drop the sub frame though you need to disconnect the exhaust and engine mounts? Doesn't Oz have Auto parts places with 'loaner' tools? I did that with the tools I needed to do my ball joints and to press bushings. Cost me nada. Deposit on rental = full refund when tools returned.

Glenn - Those guys are amazing. If I closed my eyes I couldn't' tell if they were imitation or the real deal:

Mike - Good luck with the portable garage. Maybe Tiger will love it enough to move in by himself??

Time to start chillin, but first I think I need to shower off some of this odor.....
Old August 5th, 2018, 01:42 PM

Some pics from the Gilmore. Also a better pic of the '57 Bel Aire since they brought it outside. It was hot, we stayed about 4 hours. I was drained. Made homemade italian meatball sub sandwichs last night, turned out pretty well. https://photos.app.goo.gl/SGKiSWU4SMEJHnXU9
Old August 5th, 2018, 04:59 PM

There aren’t any places that I know of that “loan” tools out like that Allan. Would be nice if there was. The problem is the bolts that hold the bracket go in from the top of the subframe so either undo engine mounts and drop the subframe or a whole bunch of other stuff and drop the subframe with engine attached, either way a very fiddly task so I opted to make my own puller. Crude but hopefully effective. Hopefully the parts turn up in time for me to do the job at the end of the week.
Old August 5th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Evening Oldsmobuds,

Gee, I got a lot done today. Also had a run in with the contractor doing work next door. We have a noise ordinance for residential construction that limits noise M-S from 07:00 to 9:00 pm. On Sunday it's from 09:00 till 7:00 pm. Buddy was outside making a huge racket, so I wanted to remind him about the time limits. The conversation got heated and he told me to pound salt about the time limits. So I phoned bylaw and asked them about the process I should follow. They told me that if he was 5 minutes past any of the deadlines to call them and they'd enforce the infraction and give him a fine. They also said that no one had called in yet to complain. That said, I went to my other neighbor (Derek and Shelley) and asked if they were bothered by the noise. They were and also were really pissed about the big social gatherings that would go sometimes till 3:00 am with noise just outside their bedroom window. I explained what bylaw had told me and asked if they would help enforce the noise issue since more than one complainant was a stronger sign that there was a problem. They said yes, and also are planning to complain about the huge pile of construction debris that is being left on the side of the house and falling onto their property. Next I went over to see Richard and Michelle. They're also on board. I guess buddy (he's an import named Mansour Kassem) saw me going to the neighbors and decided to take me seriously today as he and his cronies pulled up stakes and left just at 7:00 pm. We'll see how this plays out.

Adrian - Sorry to hear that mate. What about loosening off the engine mounts and lifting the engine up with a trolley jack to access those bolts?? I imagine you have a plan already though. Gee I sure wish you had been able to pull the trigger on that house next door. It might have needed some work to meet your standards but you would be one of the best neighbors to have.

Dan - Thank you for those pictures. Some really nice cars showed up. I liked the Commodore and that Fury (II or III?). The gold Cutlass for sale doesn't look like original paint and I wonder where the seller got the information that Olds only produced 1% of it's cars as 2 tones.

Ribeye steaks with mashed taters and garden fresh beans, along with Caesar salad for dinner tonight. Man it was tasty!!

Jim - Jess in case I don't get up early on Monday? I figger you'll do about 46/44. The front 9 usually seems to get you worse than the back.

Sleep well y'all.
Old August 5th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Always room for one more

Speaking of sleep, I'm not getting any. Hit the sack a little after 8, laid around wide-eyed almost two hours. Thought maybe some mindless surfing would help.

Went to the junkyard today, not one single thing worth stopping to look at. I was in and out in about a half hour. That's gotta be a first.

Also went to Harbor Freight. Got two of those portable garages. Now to get them put together.

Glenn those guys are phenomenal. Very convincing.

Dan loved the pictures. My favorite probably the 57 Chevy.

Well, not sure what to do now. Grab a snack maybe. Let Tiger out. Lay awake all night and finally fall asleep around 2... Hope not.

Have a good night everyone.
Old August 6th, 2018, 02:48 AM

After my week at work Allan I’m just as annoyed I wasn’t able to buy next to you and just stay and not worry about coming back to this stink hole really getting sick and tired of dealing with the idiots at work.

Yeah body is in the way to take bolts from top without dropping subframe. As you guessed I do have a plan, now just to wait and see if it works or not lol.

So I take it you liked the portable garage Mike. Also you got the Jeep all squared away so your legal to drive it now?

your dinner sounded nice Allan. We ended up grabbing some pizza and I had a glass of white wine to wash it down

take care everybody?
Adrian
Old August 6th, 2018, 05:19 AM

Allan, Don't guess my score, Not playing today. Got too much to do. Repair fascia board and soffit

Old August 6th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Beautimus morning here but it'll be short lived as the sun starts heating things up. Spoda head up to the high 80's or low 90's next few days. Ugh.

Jim - Sorry bout dat. Next time.

Adrian - Sounds like those bushings aren't going to be a lot of fun. Be careful working on it and don't get hurt.

Mike - what size are they?
Old August 6th, 2018, 08:51 AM

Not much going on here. We got some much needed rain that's supposed to continue throughout the day. Allan, that was a Fury III. I was surprised that it didn't have many options, as I thought that the III was the top Fury that you could buy. The claims that people make about their cars never fails to amuse me. It was nice to see some different cars there, probably 400+ in attendance. I thought that the REO was pretty cool.
Old August 6th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Friends:
I had a laid back day yesterday. Allan I also cooked some steaks on the grill yesterday afternoon. They were sirloin strips which were quite tasty but not as tender as ribeyes. I cooked them on the Weber gas grill and used my iGrill probes. They are pretty neat. I have the program on my iPhone and monitor the temp with the phone. You select what you are cooking and tell it how you want them cooked and it will select the temperature and tell you when they are done. For sirloin strips they are supposed to be 150 degrees in the middle. The phone beeped at 140 degrees and told me to get ready and then beeped at 150 degrees and told me they were ready. They cooked perfect with just a little pink in the middle. It will accommodate up to 4 probes and you can set each one independently so I could cook rare. medium, medium well and well all at the same time.
I have some stuff to do in the office today. The sunroof on my 2010 Ford Flex won't close all the way. I am going to take one more look at it today and probably take it to somebody to get it closed. I think the headliner has to come out. I just want to get it closed before it rains if that ever happens again. My Expedition has one also and I think I will just leave it closed.
That is about it my friends. Hope all of you have a good day.
Glenn
Old August 6th, 2018, 10:05 AM

Pics from last week in Hart, Mi. The red Jeepster has a '77 350 Olds motor in it. I like the Jeep truck crew cab, you never see them anywhere. I also noticed that all of the pics from Sats. Gilmore show did not upload, so I may redo it and re post. https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXJeatXi97eFPNFAA
Old August 6th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice pics Dan. I can't believe someone entered a Plymouth mini van in that show.
Old August 6th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cut and paste day/week for me. The lead said I'd be able to start signing things off next week. So this week it's a lot more of sitting around and pretending to look interested.

Dan I don't think the Jeep J trucks ever had an extended cab. Could be why you never see them. It does look convincing.

Allan the portable garages are 10x17. And indeed are full sides and canopy. A trick I learned years ago, strap the structure to the car, and don't use the cheezy stakes they provide in the kit. Never had a cover blow away doing that.

Adrian the Jeep is good to go, but it needs a spare and also new tires before I will take it too far. The tires look decent but are from '04 and that's a bit too old for me. If I knew some history that might be one thing, but the previous guy only had it 6 years and it sat outside the whole time, no clue what went on before that. I know all too well about hating your job. I wish you luck in making things better.

Glenn I need to learn about Sea Doo's and what makes them go. Are all personal water craft basically the same?

Gonna go to the Summit cruise in tonight. Haven't been in about a month. It's sunny and hot out, but will be wonderful for an evening show. If I had a little more time I'd take the Jeep. Don't think I've ever seen one of them there before. Eh, it might be a little too modern for that crowd. Hm, modern. The 76 version was virtually unchanged from the 62 version.

Okay everyone have a good afternoon. I think I'll go run the line trimmer.
Old August 6th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike, both of these Sea Doo's are 1994 models. One is a GTS with 41 actual hours on it and the other is a GTX with 21 hours on it. Unfortunately the GTX was the best ski but has a blown engine in it. They are both 3 seaters. I bought them from a friend who hardly ever used them. I was let a coworker take them out a couple years ago and the line from the oil tank to the injector pump was brittle and broke. There was no warning beeper and they burned the engine up in it. It is in very nice condition. It has a bigger engine and twin carbs and is faster than the GTS. I am cleaning them up and doing a little maintenance on the GTS and on the trailer and hope to sell them before labor day. These things are a lot of fun but I have nowhere to keep them and my wife can't ride them anymore since she has to stay out of the sun. Sea Doo is made by Bombardier of Canada. Yamaha and Kawasaki are also popular skies. The ones today are supercharged and will run over 80 mph and cost about $13,000.
Old August 6th, 2018, 01:53 PM

Mike, Glen, the New "IN" thing at my lake in the mountains, is "Wake Boats" and people HATE them because the enormous wakes they make [so people can surf behind them] tears up docks and sea walls.What I know about them wouldn't fill a thimble but most of them cost close to 100K

Last week with all the rain the lake was REALLY high and "spose" to be idle speed only but of course some kids [with $$$$ parents]] got out there and really caused some damage [mostly because boats in their boat houses were floating close to the roof of the boat houses] and they were running Wake boats too close to shore/docks/sea walls .

I'm gonna predict a shooting in the near future
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wake boat.jpg (71.2 KB, 4 views)
Old August 6th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I was gonna post something about what Jim said and just realized yet another thing about this new posting window I don't like. Ya can't choose fonts anymore like we used to.
Old August 6th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Always room for one more

Not much to see at Summit tonight. I have an idea why. It was Corvette night. There were three rows of Corvettes, most of them the current model, and probably more than all the other cars combined. I've noticed people tend to stay away when the Corvettes are out in force. No yellow 442, but the 67 Supreme 4 door hardtop was there with the home-grown Rhino lining in place of the vinyl top.

There was a guy at work doing a G-job, it was some weird looking board that he said he would suction cup to the back of his boat to make the wake bigger, so people could […] behind it. Not sure it was ski, but he did bring in a wake board another time so I suspect that's the activity. Jamesbo you can shoot him or not, he has less seniority than me.

Glenn was thinking, wondering how a couple of those thruster motors on a jet ski would do pushing an Amphicar around. The car weighs 2300 pounds and is like a big brick in the water. Is that how a jet ski steers as well, or does it have a rudder on it somewhere?

Allan the original Chrysler mini van is over 30 years old. If any of the originals still exist and haven't rusted clear away, they certainly deserve some sort of recognition. The museum I belong to used to have the hand built prototype van from before 1984. It looked like the production car, and the woman that's in charge of the place decided, after how many years, that it didn't fit in and sold it. She also sold the very last Grand Wagoneer. Not classics by any stretch, but both cars worthy of keeping, in my estimation, for what they are and what they represent. Ah, but nobody asked me.

Gonna start thinking about hitting the sack. I hope I can sleep better tonight. Have a good night everyone.
Old August 6th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, I have not heard of wake boats. We live on Lake Ray Hubbard which is about 25,000 acres when the lake is at normal level which it is not at present due to lack of rain. I doubt we have any wake boats here but I bet they do on Lake Lewisville which is a real party lake north of Dallas. Are you up on Lake Lanier?
Mike, some of the new motors would no doubt push an Amphicar around. Sea Doo makes boats with the same propulsion in them. Interesting thought.
Allan, sorry about the fonts.
Glenn
Old August 6th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, I remember when the original mini vans came out. My buddy Robert bought one but had to wait till 1985 to get it since there was such a huge demand and waiting list for them. It was a decent little vehicle that could fit a lot of crap into and that was fine by us because we often used it for ski trips, Ice climbing and also back country trips. It held 4 people quite easily along with equipment and got surprisingly good mileage. I agree they have their place in automotive history. I was just surprised to see one that looks vintage 94 or so at that show.
Old August 7th, 2018, 03:24 AM

Mawn'in

Nope,

Lake Lanier is just north of Atlanta and is a mad house of Cigarette boats mixed with house boats with drunk drivers

I'm on a much smaller lake in the mountains Lake Burton. [ about 3000 acres ] It was a quieter lake until nut cases from Atlanta decided it was close enough to build McMansions. Ga Power controls the lake and won't allow any boat with a head or a galley which used to help keep the riff raff away. You could put in and ski /fish for a day and go home, There is no place to camp on the islands [like Lanier which has islands covered in chicken bones and diapers']

Back in the 50's Lake Burton was undiscovered and I went to Boys camp up there for 8 weeks for 4 years. It was mostly canoes mixed with a few wooden Chris Crafts. There were a few fishing shacks but nothing like today's crazy Mcmansions.

Fast forward, I bought the boys camp and sub divided it and kept one lot for myself [part of the old camp] and renovated and added on to a 1926 mountain home I am by far the largest land owner and the poorest land owner on the lake

I'm not in the same league with some of my neighbors Allan Jackson, Nick Saban and Fran Tarkenton [ and no we don't socialize]

Here are sum pics of the crazy castles built around the lake

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Mike, I like the idear of a Jet Amphi

Old August 7th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, that is a beautiful lake. I went through the pictures and you are not kidding about the McMansions. I think Nick Saban's house outdid them all. What a friggin mansion. Certainly not a cottage on the lake. I see why you head norte so often. I get the feeling that Alan Jackson would be a decent guy to be around but it would be hard to fit in a room with Saban's ego.
Old August 7th, 2018, 10:05 AM

I wouldn't know, my engraved invitations must be lost in the mail
Old August 7th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good day everyone,

Tis hot here and spoda get to be hotter. I think Glenn sent us some of his TX weather? Next few days will be in the 90's so that means I don't have to light the BBQ to grill anything.

Jim - question fer ya. Do you figger them Mcmansions are mortgaged to the hilt or are the people down there just that rich? Of course I know Alan Jackson wouldn't have a mortgage, but him and Jimmy Buffet are always somewhere else where it's 5:00 and there's Margaritas flowing.

I think the water and electric bill this month will be whoppers. On the + side, I can't keep up with the harvest from my garden.

Our civic day weekend is over and most people took the week off it looks like because of the short work week. Day 2 of my looking after my neighbors pets and watering their plants. Only thing I'm not wild about is cleaning up the poop bombs. There's a picture you didn't want to see..

Did my morning walk whilst it was cooler. I think the rest of the day will be an inside event.
Old August 7th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Allan, Ya may wanta sit down for this one. 95% of those houses are built on Leased land from Ga Power

Mine isn't it's "fee simple" and I'm the second owner since 1926

So yes there are banks that will loan crazy Atlanta people big bucks to build those stupid houses on a 99 year ground lease.

About ten years ago there was a scathing article in the New Yorker
magazine that said [paraphrased] "People should just park their Rolls Royce down next to the lake and not build these elaborate boat houses"
[some of them have stone waterfalls, fireplaces and one had a small [12' ] statue of Liberty

Mine is very warm cozy and humble ya can ax Mike, he been there
Old August 7th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I believes ya Jim. So what happens to those houses on leased land from GA power? Can the land be yanked out from under them at any time GA Power feels the need? That's crazy but not unheard of. Up here there are places that are built in the National Parks that have a 99 year lease, then they revert back to the Gubment and the house has to be torn down and land reclaimed to meet the park setting. I guess everyone has some form of poetic justice to worship.

Your casa sounds like the kind of abode I would love to visit in de winter....
Old August 7th, 2018, 11:40 AM

The answer is, I have no idear, IMHO the worst thing that could happen is if Ga Powers; parent company [Southern company] got bought out by Royal Dutch Shell

There are alot of ex governors, football coaches and other big wigs that own homes on leased land. Maybe they feel comfortable they have enough clout to handle things
Old August 7th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The guy I've been watching do paperwork had other things to do today, so I was going to watch another guy, but he's as slow as molasses, so I helped with the wheels after they came off the robot. I gave up asking when I was going to be able to sign stuff off. They know I need to, I'm not going to worry about it any more.

Jamesbo's house on the lake is indeed beautiful. But the driveway leaves a bit to be desired. And so does the path he chose to drive us down to the lake in his Gator. Well, I guess that adds to the charm. I need to go back and peruse the shiplap siding in his one outdoor cabin.

Ran through some rain on the way home but it isn't raining here. I need to go out and run the line trimmer. The rain can keep going the other direction. I got a few things I could do outside.

Well have a good afternoon everyone. Hump Day tomorrow.
Old August 7th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Having worked in real estate for a number of years, I learned a few things about ground leases. The terms are typically 99 years. As long as the tenant makes their payments on time, there is no default and the lessor (property owner) has no right to do anything. The lessee (tenant) is usually responsible for the payment of taxes. There are usually stepped increases in the ground lease payment. When a lender makes a loan they will usually require a term of 30 years remaining beyond the maturity of the loan which is usually ten years (most all have balloon payments). An agreement is executed between the lender and the ground lessor where the lessor agrees to notify the lender in the event of a default on the ground lease. Many of the large office buildings in Manhattan are on ground leases that have been in existence for decades. I believe the World Trade Centers were on ground leases with the Port Authority of New York being the ground lessor. Most shoreline on Corps of Engineer lakes are on ground leases.