The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am seeing the Like 0. Share and Tweet boxes above which I don't remember seeing before. The font in my quick reply is smaller also andI don't remember having the selection at the top of this box. Maybe they were there and I never noticed them. No big deal really.
Youngest grandson and I went and got haircuts this morning. Then I spent a good portion of the remainder of the day pressure washing my drive and the sidewalks and curbs in front of the house. I have one section I have to go back over tomorrow. Guess I will have another big water bill but I have a clean driveway. It was triple digits again today but the high next Monday is supposed to be 89. It will feel like Canada Allan. We need rain really bad. That is about it my friends. Have a good evening.

Glenn
Old July 26th, 2018, 10:12 PM

What? Looks good to me?
Old July 27th, 2018, 02:39 AM

Mawn'in

Me, "It's quarter to 5"

Super model, " No, it's quarter to 4 the cat is sitting on the alarm clock"

I wonder why the cat sitting on the alarm clock makes it exactly an hour earlier [the confused thingy is missing]

Something flung a craving on me to make some antipasto, I need to start my grocery list of ingredients.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old July 27th, 2018, 05:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, are you up this early every morning? I am up a little earlier than usual. Not sure what I have will plan for the day. I have a couple spots to go back over with the pressure washer. I have a couple things to tend to so it will likely be an admin day. Will probably do a few things in the yard. I have a car show I will probably go to tomorrow afternoon so I may go over the 54 a little.
Have a good day my friends.
Glenn
Old July 27th, 2018, 05:18 AM

Most of the time, I was getting ready to bush hog but the wife saw a fawn hiding in the tall grass so that got nixed, I've been looking for my nut driver set for a few day, think I'll go get another and put it up EXACTLY where the old one is hiding
Old July 27th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Cut/paste on the weather up here.

I went to the Eco station yesterday and dropped of a bunch of electronics that we don't use anymore. Also dropped off about 5 1/2 gal of used oil and some house paint that was leaking from the bottom of the can. On the way home I dropped in at Costco and bought some cereal that I'd forgotten the day before. Unfortunately in my wanderings I also found a really nice key lime pie that was just begging to be taken home so I had no choice but to help it do that. Classic story of the gingerbread man though.... I must say it was very tasty. As good as my grandma used to make.

Hahahahahaha, I just watched the lawn maintenance company hired for next door do the fertilizer. Hahahahahaha, I'd never higher those clowns. I think it was a speed test to see if they could do the yard in less than a minute. Somehow I doubt the results will be that good. Not bad money though as most of those jobs charge out around 40.00 for fertilizing.

Hope everyones start to the weekend goes well.

Old July 27th, 2018, 06:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got up early so I could head downstairs for the continental breakfast. Very disappointed to see that there were no cinnamon rolls. I guess that's a Holiday Inn things. This place was HI but became Best Western. You know I've never seen that movie.

So Jamesbo what time was it really? Did Super Model miss her workout session?

Day 2 of the revised message box. And I see that it has an auto-save thing so maybe the disappearance of our epic posts will be a thing of the past.

Today the cars will go to the old folks home to give rides. It is quite a task getting them into the cars, and out. They seem to like it. Not sure if there's ever been repeat riders. The place fixes lunch for us which is nice. Later on it will be swimming and I hear someone with a DUKW will be here.

Hope everyone has a good Friday. Weather is beautiful here.
Old July 27th, 2018, 06:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well this thing is getting weird. I got the email notification on the NGMT and it linked to here. BUT, it didn't show either of Jims or Glenns posts! How strange. Now when I open it through the browser instead, there they are!

Jim, the confused thingy is still there. Just clik the smily face icon and choose the one you want.They're all still there.
Spoiler

Old July 27th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Always room for one more

I could use that hide button a lot.
Old July 27th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah, but what good is it? I don't understand what it's needed for
Old July 27th, 2018, 06:28 AM
Always room for one more

I don't know. But how much fun would it be if you could use that anywhere on the internet? Or in real life? Ah things would be a lot more calm for me.
Old July 27th, 2018, 08:25 AM

Mike, Let me know if ya see an inexpensive Amphi for sale

Yep, The super model made it, she exercises, I jes get stressed out
Old July 27th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Then ja need ta take today an smack whitey...
Old July 27th, 2018, 10:35 AM

Evening.

Been great vacation, soon over - but looking forward to so some work. Have had great time with our boy on my vacation, great times.

Funny, came to my mind today when working with them. About month ago i bought a pair of carbs which were removed as " removed as working examples".. Well, other one had bent choke-axle, therefore choke was either on or off- and if operated by cable, for sure the cable would be torn in a week. Other carb had main throttle shaft bend, secondary throttle shaft bend- both sticking like hell, and to top it off, accelerator pump stud broken.
Yea, they might have " worked" when removed, but must been crap to drive..

Soon watching a movie. Have a evening all!

Last edited by Inline; July 27th, 2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old July 27th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow, that sucks Jouni. Are there enough good parts on both of them to make one good working carb?
Old July 27th, 2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Wow, that sucks Jouni. Are there enough good parts on both of them to make one good working carb?
Both are soon to be working carbs. Just minor work anymore. There was a time i renowated old SU-carbs for others ( mostly find on British cars, or Volvos, try typing SU HS6, HIF6, etc so you get the idea) so its not my first rodeo with carbs digged from moss. Its just the thing which annoys me when they advertise them as "working", when in reality, last time they worked was 20 years back.

Was a good movie. Now you see me 2. Yesterday we watched the first part. So, tomorrow is saturday? Lets see what i do. Might visit the garage.

But now to sleep, see you.
Old July 27th, 2018, 10:30 PM

Old July 28th, 2018, 02:42 AM

Mawn'in

Headed norte this mawn'in

Inline, I'd pull the plug on him also

Allan, How was the Key lime pie?

Mike, I'd make ya cinnamon rolls if you'd come give this old folk a ride in an Amphi, BTW what;s wrong with lake cruising with the top up?

No She makes it to exercise on time it's jes a last minute rush out the door

Old July 28th, 2018, 05:02 AM

Nice weather here, very comfortable and sunny. Spent most the day yesterday washing and waxing the vert getting ready to go to Gettysburg. It's amazing how much better a freshly waxed car looks, It just pops! Well that will insure rain for the event, I'm sure.....
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Another beautiful day to drive your car on the lake. Hope I get some water time, there's usually no end to ride possibilities, but it's still a bummer not having a car here. Maybe I should have taken the insurance on the rental...

Jamesbo if the top is up it's harder to get out if you sink. And there ain't a lot of room to get out anyway. Of course those guys who crossed the English Channel had the tops up and the windows rolled up. They were just nuts.

Went to see that yellow convertible yesterday. I've determined they don't want to sell it, or have given up selling it. It's parked under a lift in a building jam packed with cars and junk, it's pretty much inaccessible. The guy said he'd probably get it out again within a few months. Um, okay I'm going home tomorrow. Well I'm glad I went to look.

I am going to talk to a guy about two Amphi projects. They both have been sitting and need everything. This is one of the few cars you can put 30K into restoration and still do well when you sell it.

Okay off to the swap meet. I think I may stay till tomorrow, I was going to go home this afternoon but enough people are here I'm actually having a good time. Plus car show at the carnival tonight, that's always a big time.

Have a good day everyone.
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo there are two cars for sale here, one is 85K and the other at least that. Both beautiful cars. I don't know how to make the quote thing work now.
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone

The weekend looks to be shaping up nicely. Beautiful 50° this morning and blue skies.

Jim - It was delish. I still have a couple slices left. It was a big pie.

Greg - I think that's the general rule of wash and wax . Have fun at the show. Have you ever posted a picture of that vert here?

Mike - Have fun with the rides. Do they carry a paddle or two in case of engine failure? I saw a restoration show do an amphi one time. The only place I'd worry about water coming in is the doors. Cool that they have a bilge pump. I think that $$$ for the cars is based on the scarcity and overall demand?

Jouni - Hahahahahaha..
Old July 28th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning (almost) Guys:

It was still triple digit here yesterday but was cloudy. However the humidity was way high and it was just sticky outside. I pressure wash the pair of Sea Doos I am getting ready to sell. Only one of them will run since my coworker burned the engine up on the best one. I hop to have them ready next week. They need to be gone since they are in the other side of my garage. I can only imagine the calls I will get when I put them on Craigslist.
I am taking care of some admin stuff today and then going to a car show this afternoon. Registration starts at 5:00 and the show is from 6:00 until 9:00 which is a good thing this time of year. It will still be hot.
One of my neighbors and his wife stopped by yesterday when they were going to lunch. We just chatted out in the street. He just bought him an awesome old Chevy panel truck. It has to be early 50's and painted bright orange. It has an LS engine in it and I think he said over 600 horsepower. He and his wife drove to Minnesota and hauled it back. His wife retired from the IRS and in the 20 years I have lived here, he hasn't worked very much. They have a ranch somewhere south of here where they do hunting outings. I suspect there is some inherited family money. I have to get down and see his truck.
That is about all I have from Rowlett, Texas today. Hope everybody has a good weekend.

Glenn
Old July 28th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - CL is much like Kijiji up here. You'll get lots of tire kickers and low ballers. I have some stuff listed and I constantly get low ballers offering about 25% of listing price even though I listed stuff at less than half the price it would cost normally. I don't know if CL allows you to track the viewing history, but Kijiji does for me. The number of views on the listings doesn't mean squat. What does is the number of interested parties who will pony up the cash. I suspect that since you have one runner and one non runner, someone will offer you peanuts for the non runner and try to jew you on the runner. Good luck my friend.

Jim - Y'all are a bad infuenza. Right after ya ax me about de pie? I had ta have 2 pieces for breakfast. My missus came downstairs at her leisure (which is close to noon) and axed if I shouldn't mebbe refrigerate the pie. I said no cuz it was almost gone. Only one big piece left. My grandma would be proud.

Time to fire up the compressor and make some noise in the garage. It's noon and 81° outside. I'll have to turn on the garage fan when I open the big door.
Old July 28th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Always room for one more

Allan a lot of people have paddles on their cars (in?) but they are mainly just for show. We took a picture with all the cars assembled this afternoon, there are 72 cars here this weekend. I believe that's a record. People just show up and ask for rides, so a lot of cars are busy this afternoon. I got tired of standing around so I came back to the room. We'll be in a parade later on then the big dinner that I will probably skip.
Old July 28th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Please post the picture? I've never seen that many amphicars at one time.
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:38 AM

Morning all,

Our forty seven even days of no rain has finally broken and it’s wet and windy outside and the temps have dropped dramatically. Lovely. But it’s on the rise again next week back into the 90s.

Old July 29th, 2018, 05:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Got up to around 85 yesterday; hotter today. Wish it would make up its mind and settle down to a nice average temp. I'm tired of these swings

Paul - Don't ya hate it when the weather is so fickle?

Glenn - Hmmm, mebbe she found all DB Coopers suitcases and didn't tell her bosses.

Jim - I thought the internet up norte was spoda be werkin? Doncha love when ya don't has ta wake de supermodel for exercise class? Does she go witcha when ya goes norte?
Old July 29th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little bit ago. No trouble getting on the plane but someone felt entitled to sit in my window seat, and said, why don't you just sit on the aisle? Then the woman in the middle said, here, put down the armrest so you know where your space ends. Unbelievable.

I'll post a picture of the Amphicars when it's ready. The city had a photographer that took several pictures, and there was a guy with a drone that took pictures, but they haven't been published yet. Quite a sight I'm sure.

London one year we had a whole summer without rain. Hot every day, didn't have to mow, I loved it. I was amongst the few, though.

Gonna get things together for the work week then relax. I'll get Tiger after work tomorrow. I sure hate being here without him. Hope everyone has a nice Sunday afternoon.
Old July 29th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good afternoon guys. Been a little lazy this morning. I went to the Cars Under The Stars show last night and took a second place in the convertible class. It is a good thing the 46 Ford convertible was the Mayors Choice or I would have been out of the running. It was a very nice modified car. My neighbor showed up with his recently purchased 48 Chevy panel truck and parked next to me. He took first place in the pre 1950 modified truck class. This thing is really nice. He said it was a $125,000 build and the paint job was $30,000. He paid $45,000 for the truck. It has a modified 572 cubic inch big block in it with 650 horses. That is crazy horsepower and will produce crazy performance.
Mike, I am looking forward to the pictures of the 72 Amphicars. I didn't know there were that many of them in existence. The prices of these, Issetas and 21 window VW bussed has just amazed me. If we only knew a few years ago.
Since the car show wasn't over until after 10 last night I am taking it easy today. Have a good afternoon my friends.
Glenn
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - That sounds like it was good show.Congratulations on the second place award. Your friend got a $125k build for $45K?? Wow! How can people take that kind of loss on a car build? Simply amazing.

Mike - I would have told that someone to move their a$$ to the seat it belonged in. And the other person I would have told to mind their own business. I'm assuming you paid for your seat selection, or was it courtesy of Big D? Still there's no excuse for that kind of passenger ignorance when a boarding pass clearly states what seat is assigned. I suppose the cabin crew wouldn't have been all that helpful?

Jim - That aethiest joke is priceless.

Last edited by Allan R; July 29th, 2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:54 PM

I'm back,

Allan, yes, she and Red both go notre with me. I was staying at my 92 y.o uncles house this weekend and he hasn't got any service

Mike, Wow, I thought you could get a nice one for about 60K, The prices really have gone up. I;m not sure buying an Amphi will fit into my austerity program
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Allan, I continue to be amazed at how common it is for people to lose big dollars on these cars. They never get their money back on these cars. The flames on the truck are chrome. The neighbor told me they actually chromed the hood, front fenders and door and then masked the flames off and painted over the rest of the chrome. That is crazy. I guess that is why it has a $30,000 point job and that was done in 2008.

Mike, the flight attendant would have made the person in your seat move. Over the years I have flown over 1 million miles on American Airlines. I usually wanted an isle seat anyway and usually got it. I had flown to most major cities and with an isle seat it was easier to get to the toilet and I could get my bags out of the overhead and get off the plane. I hate flying. It is an unpleasant experience and you have to put up with what I call the infrequent flyers. I am glad I rarely fly anymore.
Old July 29th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Always room for one more

If I would have said something the flight attendant would have made him move. The gate agent made the announcement that the plane was completely full yet this person felt he needed the window seat more than whoever was supposed to sit there. The person in the middle was with him. I try to not make waves when I fly, sort of like a "choose your battles" kind of thing. The aisle was fine, it was an exit row anyway so I had plenty of room. He just had the look of "I'm entitled" and I didn't want to take the flight attendant's time in case someone actually did need her. And this trip was on Big D. Sort of a perk of working there.

Jamesbo I don't know what cars sell for, I only know what people ask. Most cars are for sale for a very long time at those inflated prices, I'm guessing they settle when they get tired of the tire kickers. I'm waiting on a call from a guy who has two that have been in the barn for decades. No clue what he wants for them.

Gonna be an early night, since I have to start getting up at 4am again. Hope everyone's week starts out good.
Old July 29th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Always room for one more

Old July 29th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Very nice picture Mike. Did they take it from a boom? I'm detecting a theme in Amphicar colors there
Old July 29th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Always room for one more

They were standing on a ladder truck, maybe 60-70 feet in the air? There were only four original colors. Beach Sand White, Red, Robins Egg Blue, Fjord Green. The factory made some special vehicles, such as a few cars for the Berlin police, and they were green. I heard that towards the end they painted cars any color they could to get them out of the factory. In the club there are yellow cars, gold cars, orange cars, saw a black car this weekend(it was stunning). The car on the lower right corner was pretty much done for, so the guy made it look like the Batmobile. Used lots of plywood he said. It swims great.

I'm in the picture, can you see me?
Old July 29th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very nice Mike. By my rough calculations, that is probably about $5 million (or more) worth of cars there.
Old July 29th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Always room for one more

Seventy-two cars in the picture. So Glenn I'd say you're close to it. The very last car in a row to itself is on a trailer. That guy was giving rides all day and his clutch went out. But he didn't want to miss the picture so he drug it over. We are going to apply to the Guinness Book of World Records for the most Amphicars in one place. I don't know why that would be a thing, but hey, might as well try.

Also in attendance this weekend were two Panther Watercars. Those things are beasts. I rode in one last year, and it was a blast. Very expensive and very maintenance intensive. And not built very well. For a buck seventy five I'd think it would be near perfect.
Old July 30th, 2018, 03:29 AM

Mawn'in

Tis Monday so..........................

Mike, I want one bad