The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2018, 09:50 AM

Ya know, I was in up to $65 million, but sometimes someone wants it more! https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/0...ar/?refer=news
Old June 5th, 2018, 11:17 AM

It's the wrong color
Old June 5th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, if you paid $70 million for the car, you could get a nice paint job for $50,000 and it would seem like nothing. Then I can't think of a place I would leave a $70 million car to be painted.
Old June 5th, 2018, 12:17 PM

If I paid 70 mil for anything, I'd be singing soprano
Old June 5th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

LOL, 1956 was a very good year! Not just for people but for cars, music, movies, technology...yada yada yada. Ours is a generation that has experienced and lived through many significant decades of change. What day in November? My son got 11, so it's always easy to remember and it's such a significant day. An armistice and rebirth.
Old June 5th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well it's Monday, I thought maybe I'd be in my new department this week but it doesn't look like it. My foreman is on vacation and he's the one that has to get things going. Maybe he'll take care of things from wherever he is.

Saw Mr. No Shoulders out in the yard this afternoon. Tiger just wanted to sniff him. No idea what kind of snake he was, black with yellow bands. He wasn't much interested in us, he just went into the block wall and disappeared. That's okay by me.

Beautiful out. Supposed to be like this all week. I'll take it. Might get a little bit done here and there in the afternoons before work.

Allan didn't Clint put that sign up when his neighbors were selling? Something about get used to mules and goats and whatnot.

Jamesbo I think the Super model would look great in that going to exercise in the mornings. But she'd still call AAA if the starter went out.

Okay gonna hit it so I can quit it. Hope everyone is having a good evening.
Old June 5th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, did it look like this? If it did it's a kingsnake. Not poisonous but smelly if threatened. LOL a snake that farts to ward off attackers. I think there's some humor in that.

No, I don't think Clint put up that sign. It was posted somewhere else and he borrowed it because of the neighbors being a pain. Can't remember 100% though on that. Anywho, not like I can do anything about who owns the house now. I guess I coulda bought it and rented it out, but the interior was hideous and needed too much work.

If you don't get into your new department this week I guess you're still business as usual till it happens. Have a good evening.
Old June 6th, 2018, 02:44 AM

Mawn'in

Mike, I think I'll get her one. Those sliding plastic windows don't lock so she could lock her keys inside.

Got 75% of the weed whacking done, Just have one side of the road and the Cheap seats in the cemetery to finish up. Unfortunately, I gotta finish with the heavier of my weed whackers. The primer bulb in my light weight one keeps going Tango Uniform

King/Coarl snake Red next to black good for Jack, red next to yellow, kill a fellow

Allan, Just what are your memories of 1956 [besides wearing dirty diapers]
I like IKE

BTW, I want to thank you again I really like my new razor

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Gotta trim the lawn again today. I figure if I do it every 4 days I don't have to bag anything and the mulch will be fine enough there's nothing left on the surface of the grass.

The missus and I took a nice walk yesterday afternoon. She doesn't like the wind so it wasn't very long but the pathways were in really nice shape and it was enjoyable. This of course would be another reason why I don't own a vert.

Jim, I dunno. Like you said I was pretty small back then but Mom was pretty fastidious about changing out diapers. I do know that back then they never had the luxury of disposable brands like today. I do remember we had a 54 Chebby that she constantly got stuck somewhere, or ground a pound of gears every time she drove it. Glad you like the new razor.

My sister sent me some pics of Paris yesterday. Sounds like she's having a good time in spite of the weather being dreary and very humid. She is planning to visit Vimy to see the Great War memorial. I asked if she was going to visit Normandy, Calais or Dunkirk but apparently not. Maybe she'll visit the wineries though.

Cool here this mawnin and I have all the windows open to let in the fresh air.

Glenn, I couldn't afford a $50k paint job, much less a $50K car. I guess I'll have to wait for an inheritance.

Have a good one everyone.
Old June 6th, 2018, 07:30 AM

Allan, My mom had a 54 mercury and every time she got in it, she folded back her dress in her lap about and inch revealing her slip. I think once a drop of oil came out of the steering column and she wasn't taking any chances
Old June 6th, 2018, 08:21 AM

What day in November?
The 5th, frequently an election day. Not much going on here, gonna load the dishwasher, already vacuumed the carpet.
Old June 6th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, WTH? I thought they were spoda leak in the engine not the steering column. You probably were sitting in the front seat all the time calling shotgun waiting for her to 'slip up'.
Old June 6th, 2018, 09:28 AM

2 door tank, Mom put the kids in the back so they wouldn't jump out. Really kinda modern. push button starter

Adrian, Clint, London, SOMEBODY we could use a little help today, betwix yard werk and loading the dishwasher, we may all perish from boredom
Old June 6th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
............Adrian, Clint, London, SOMEBODY we could use a little help today, betwix yard werk and loading the dishwasher, we may all perish from boredom
In the meantime I'm watching the grass grow....

List of to do:
Paint the baffroom
sand and stain the deck
cut de grass
Power wash the garage floor and some wheels
sand and paint some wheels
Check my whitey clubs and see if they still swing left
Trip to the city to pay a bill (just did)
Note how many gas stations here are outta gas (4 on the drive in and back)
Lissen to Jim be bored...
Old June 6th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:

I still have desk duty today due to the surgery. It is a little tender today but not really sore.
Allan, I think I saw back a little ways that you had a son born on November 11th. My son is 50 and was born 11/11/67 in a USAF hospital. I am old enough to have a kid that is eligible to join AARP although I have not encouraged him to.
Jim, I have attached a picture taken back in the 50's of my Grandpa Hargrove behind my Aunt Edna's 54 Mercury. Grandpa died in 1959 and Aunt Edna was an old maid Army nurse who retired as a major in 1960. I can remember as a kid thinking how pretty this car was. She took it to Puerto Rico and sold it to another nurse when she left there which was probably when she retired and moved back to her tiny hometown of Kelly, LA.

Have a good day everybody.
Old June 6th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Here's for ya Jim,
A new guy out on the West Coast messaged me yesterday. He has 0 posts but wanted to know about the paint code on my avatar picture. (14 B). he has a real X code 72 W30 in the same color. Here's a pic he sent me

Old June 6th, 2018, 11:20 AM

Wait a sec, That was my dad's car [only with a green roof] Mom had a black 49 ............dad drove the newer tank
Old June 6th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

For a while my Dad had a 51 Merc 4 door with the suicide doors. It was our second car and was a MercOMatic. I can remember him talking about how bad the mileage was. It was a neat old car. That was probably about 1954-55. Sorry, no pictures of that one.

Last edited by redoldsman; June 7th, 2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old June 6th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another red letter day, weather wise. Glad it's back.

Work was a colossal suck-fest last night. Had a 767 to work on, by myself, with about 50 items to change. Most under the first class seats. Add to that two cleaning crews who were not interested in getting out of my way. I took more than a couple breaks. When I could feel my temper rising, I'd walk off the plane. Last time I yelled at the cleaners I got in trouble. Even though they are second class people, they run and tell their supervisor at the littlest infraction. Why our management doesn't tell them to pound sand I don't know. They take all the food and pop off the plane(they're not employees) and do a crap job. Eh, I ain't payin' em.

Yes Allan that's the snake. Didn't see him today. Probably too hot for him to come out.

Here's my new favorite song. I've heard it done by the original people, I like this one better.

Okay off I go to Night 2. My buddy is the guess lead all week, he said he'd find me something a little lighter for tonight. He did come to adjust a couple of my tray tables last night.

Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, it sounds like you're ready for a life change. That's a great song BTW. Hope your shift tonight gets better.
Old June 6th, 2018, 08:16 PM

Well the skies opened up this morning. I was planning on more yard work as I need to get it tidied up for Minette's birthday at the end of the month. Doesn't need a massive amount of work but it can be hard to find time and when I do something always seems to stop me from doing it, today it was the rain
I'm sure once you finish all the weed whacking Jim there will be something else to starve off the boredom
1956 I wasn't even a sparkle in my dads eye. I'm a 1982 baby
You would think a 767 would be big enough for the cleaners to stay out of your way Mike but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys I guess.
An original 72 W30 hey Allan. Aren't they going for close to 6 figures these days fully restored?
Glad you are healing up Glenn.
Do you get snakes up there in Alberta Allan? I know there are some over closer to Ontario and that. We have been known to get a couple around here from time to time
Take care everyone, Adrian
Old June 6th, 2018, 10:17 PM

Allan, you need to tell the guy with the '72 W30 to head over to the FB page dedicated to, what else, 1972 W30's. Or the myriad of other Olds sites located there. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5622456&type=3

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 6th, 2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old June 7th, 2018, 03:14 AM

Mawn'in

Hot and clear

Finished up the yard werk yesterday, so I can prop my feet up for 2 days and start again

Mike, I'd be tempted to sprinkle a few pockets full of confetti in strategic locations out of your way to keep them occupied

Glen, Sounds like you're on the mend GREAT

Happy Berfday Allan

Old June 7th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Beautimus day shaping up here. Outside is cyrstal clear, gentle breeze and about 50°. I just got in from watering the front lawn and then root watering the oak.

Adrian, isn't that the way things go? Either too hot or too wet. No, we don't have any snakes to speak of here, just garter snakes and they're very elusive and secluded reptiles. You never see them around the city. Maybe in the river valley IF you're lucky. They're very small and non poisonous too. Original W30's in Canada are very very rare; there were only around 150 imported. IDK the value of that car, but it has original paint and the only thing I can see that's not is the SS wheels. They didn't have the snap on caps back in 72. It's a beautiful car but I can only imagine what it would cost to feed it

Jim, Thanks! That was quite a load of hay you got there. Maybe bundle it up and have Lynne come get it for Clints stable. He's got 2 more hungry mouths to feed.

Glenn, Hope you're getting better all the time. Is the cold almost gone? I suspect you got that from going from the blazing heat to the AC comfort of inside??

Dan, the link didn't work. Is it missing something? I looked for W30 on FB but didn't see a specific site.

Time for brekkie and then gotta head out and join de boyz fer a cuppa koffee. First one I'll have in several months now.
Old June 7th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Morning All:

Another hot day here but not in the 100's yet. I think this is my last day of office duty and then I am returning to some outside duties but no lifting yet. Good thing I got the fence done last week. I have an aluminum radiator I want to put in my 54 but the three core copper one in there is heavy and hard to pull out. The car has never been happy since I put the AC in it. It will have to wait a few more days.
Allan, enjoy your coffee. That is one vice I have and would have a difficult time doing without. And Happy Birthday.
Old June 7th, 2018, 08:55 AM

Allan, weird i click on it and it comes up. Try this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1811032169191057/ Happy B day, I don't have to guess how old!
Old June 7th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Now I look purdy sporting a new haircut. Makes me look taller and younger according to the nice lady barber.

Dan - That link works. Closed group though. I doubt they would open it to a non W30 member but I'll pass it along to Dan (the other Dan with the 72 W30). Yeah, now I'll have to try and remember your BD. If I don't, I plead the 5th Thank you!

Glenn - I probably won't have any coffee now for a few more months. I had 3 cups this morning and that was more than enough. Thank you sir for the BD wishes. I don't know how you tolerate that heat. I'd die if I was there. Bad enough the forecast here is for the mid 80's.
Old June 7th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful again. Hope it holds up over the weekend when I can actually get out and enjoy it.

Saw my neighbor's car in the drive this morning when I got home from work. This can't be good. I talked to the guy not more than a couple days ago and she was still up there in Jersey. Now she's here. That must have been some ride. Haven't talked to her yet, be interesting to know what's up.

Jamesbo that would only mean there'd be confetti there when the passengers get on. Calling these people cleaners is obviously a misnomer.

Not bad at work last night, way better than the night before. Tonight is number 3, it could get better yet if you ask me. We'll see. Still no word on the new job.

Okay off to it. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old June 7th, 2018, 09:27 PM

Allan, you don't need a '72 W30 to join the group. How does that go from the movie "V for Vendetta"? Remember, remember the 5th of November, ya know Guy Fawkes, or Sadie Hopkins, whoever it was

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 7th, 2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old June 8th, 2018, 02:42 AM

Mawn'in

Still warm and dry

I need to water a little this mawn'in

I'm getting completely lost in this conversation

So, I'll let cha continue without me

Old June 8th, 2018, 05:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Hit 88° here yesterday. That's warm enough for me. I have the water on the back yard right now trying to keep the moisture in the ground. Spoda be a cut/paste for today. Mebbe Sat or Sun we'll get some T-storms to make up for this.

Dan - I never saw that movie. I've heard of Sadie Hawkins day but never really attached any significance to it. BTW I had to look up when Sadie Hawkins day is and it's Nov 13. Are you planning to be in the race this year?

I ordered a new auto choke coil and linkage for my Craftsman lawnmower. Up here Sears is dead and buried. Woulda taken up a fair chunk of Milton I figure. Anywho Kohler sells the parts on line, but the cost of shipping makes it identical to just buying local so that's what I'm doing. It'll take a week to get here but nothing in the mail would be any faster.

Jim - when did cha ever shy away from a conversation?

Glenn - Hope all is well with you sir.

The weekend looms. Have a good one!
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning to all of you:
Allan, thanks for your continued concern. I have healed well and have had no pain and the incision is barely sensitive now.
I believe Sadie Hawkins day originated from the comic strip Li'l Abner which I used to read years ago. I had not thought about it in a long time. Daisy Mae was a knockout.
Oldest grandson Keaton who is 15 is having surgery on each of his jaws this morning. They are not staying together like they should. The surgery should go okay but the recovery will take some time.
The rain is gone and it is back to being hot but not in the triple digits yet.
Have a good weekend all.
Glenn
Old June 8th, 2018, 07:01 AM

Speaking of north American marsupials
Old June 8th, 2018, 08:19 AM

See, Jim, ya fit right in. The A/C guy has been here for three hours getting things replaced & hooked up, hopefully it won't be too much longer. Gotta cut the grass the we was watchn' grow, then a bike ride to follow, with a heads up to any Segway riders out there.
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:19 AM

Evening guys.

Its weekend here- altought im going to hotel at sunday evening at another side of Finland.
Off from sauna, off from work.

Soooo..... Im still driving CMM- got my fingertips burned at trying to swap out to drive asphalt paver- that was suspected. Not much else. Same s**t as always

Sooo.. im gonna light up th (char)coalgrill second time today, to do some beef's.
Have a day all- ill try to read everything tomorrrow
Old June 8th, 2018, 12:48 PM

The A/C is working. Ahhhh.
Old June 8th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I hope this worked correctly. Here is a little more on Sadie Hawkins Day and Daisey Mae.

Last edited by redoldsman; June 8th, 2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old June 8th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - IDK why anyone would run from Daisy Mae. She's the comic book version of Marilyn!

Dan - Congrats on getting the AC back. Isn't it nice to be cool and not humid?
Old June 8th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Was running a little behind at home, so here I am at Big D. Doesn't look like that bad of a night.

So I talked with my neighbor. She said she just had to get out. She doesn't know how long she's going to be here, but she needed a break. I can see that.

Dan glad the AC is working. If it goes out again build a swamp cooler.

Glenn hope Keaton's surgery went well today.

Okay my buddy is chomping at the bit to get going. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old June 8th, 2018, 08:30 PM

Isn't it nice to be cool and not humid?
Yep. Took a nap this afternoon after trying Dickies, thought that I would get a bike ride in afterwards...two hours later the phone woke me up! So much for that. Well, I'm going to try and avoid some rain tomorrow, and check out a car show in Cadillac, Mi. about two hour north of here. Never been there, so hopefully it will be good, 500 cars expected.