The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn, good luck at the Drs office today. I hope the results are good. Prayers sent your way. I never heard of a sonogram so I looked it up. Hopefully it's just an overgrown cyst.
Old April 27th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Allan. I guess we take our humor wherever we can find it. Not too many guys have mammograms although it is not uncommon. Sonograms are common for pregnant women to check the status and growth of the baby and to determine gender. I have had one done on my back before. I am prepared for the worst on this thing. I feel confident I will be okay. It will just be a matter of how bumpy the road will be. My wife had breast cancer almost 9 years ago so we have an idea of the worst case scenario. Thanks for your prayers.
Old April 27th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Just a little update guys. The lump is just a fatty deposit and nothing has to be done about it. I had one of these years ago inside my left ribcage. Thank you all for your concern. Now I can get on with my retirement projects.
Old April 27th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Glenn, good to hear that it was nothing to get excited about. By the way, I did get a grill last weekend, nothing fancy, a four burner CharBroil stainless steel grill. They showed a 3 burner (Lowes) on their website, just one, that was stainless and black on sale, well I went there, and though the associate had it on his phone, they could not find it anywhere, so while I was standing there waiting on him, I started looking at the four burner, which was all stainless, for only ten bucks more, so I told him to stop looking and load one of them onto the cart. They do assemble them for free, but I had him measure the floor model, and it was a no go to fit in the back of the Sante Fe. Monday, I assembled it, and realized, if they put it together w/o the side burner and shelf, that it would have fit in w/o any problem, and I could have attached those two items on myself, oh well. Chilly weekend forecast, only in the upper 40's to low 50's. Sunny and 60's/70's next week though.

Last edited by 1969w3155; April 27th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old April 27th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah Friday at last. And it's gonna be nice this weekend. Might have to pay a visit to the junkyard.

Glenn glad things are all good. I have one of those, somewhere, and want to have it removed but the doctor says no.

Slept good today. Got to bed by 630 and didn't wake up until after 1.

Time to get things going. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old April 28th, 2018, 05:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Got the pressure washing done yesterday. Amazing how much dirt came off the deck and how much better it looks now. I still plan to sand and restain it but might hold off till next week when the temps are a little better for staining.

Mike - Have a great weekend. Junkyards are always cool places to spend time.

Dan - congrats on the new grill. How many BTU's? I used to buy grills with side burners but never used them so for me I'll buy grills without them. So far the grill I have is still performing like a champ so it's not on the replacement list even after 12 years. The last 2 packages came through yesterday.

Glenn - that must be a load off your mind.

London - good job on the slimming. The trick is to keep it off.

Ok, birds are chirping and the windows are open to let in the fresh morning air. Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.
Old April 28th, 2018, 10:34 AM

Allan, I't 30,000 Btu's on the main burner, 450 sq ft, the side burner is 10,000 Btu's. The Chinese take out that I had last night isn't agreeing with me today, Immodium is in use. Gotta head out and get some new washers for the leak in one of the bath tub spigots, got a bit more than a drip. I opened the access panel in an adjacent closet, only to see that there are no shut off valves located there, hard lines only, so I gotta lay on my stomach to turn off the main water lines for the house.
Old April 28th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Outstanding outside. Bright sunshine and warm. I'm headed to the junkyard. Tiger will be mad that he is not going to the Awful house.

Dan if you were in better nick would you be getting shut off valves and modifying the bathtub? Plumbing is not something I've ventured very far into, wonder if I'm good at it.

Not a bad night at work. Our new lead is clueless. He was sending us back and forth all night to planes that were either already in work, finished up, or obviously couldn't be worked. Eh, rode around with my buddy we had a good time.

Okay gonna hit it. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old April 28th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, sorry to hear you're not well. I hope you feel better soon. I love Chinese food too but can't eat much anymore. Too much starch, sugars and carbs.
30000 BTUs should get the job done. My old one has 40000. I looked on line and it's very common to see 50-70,000 BTU grills. IMO, it's all about whether it works right for your needs.
When we did our renovation I installed shut off valves for every plumbing run. Makes life a lot easier.

Last edited by Allan R; April 28th, 2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old April 28th, 2018, 01:57 PM

Jim, moat and a drawbridge, who do you think I am, King Arthur!

Allan, yes I know it’s a bit on the large size but I have to rebuild it on it’s original footprint. It’s gonna be way too big for us so I will sell it after living there for a year. This is to offset the Capital gains tax that would be due if I sell too early.

Glenn. I really wish you the best with your tests.
And yes the house will be on a slab but I’m putting in some high tech stuff to heat and cool including a ground source heat pump. We also will be boring a heat well deep underground into an aquifer for free hot water and heating. This will make the house much more sellable in the future.

Weather, cold and miserable, so much for Spring
Old April 28th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
Jim, moat and a drawbridge, who do you think I am, King Arthur!

Allan, yes I know it’s a bit on the large size but I have to rebuild it on it’s original footprint.
LOL, I think Jim's got a point...maybe it originally was a castle with a moat and drawbridge??? I'm having a really hard time thinking who would have built such a monstrous house. Must have been nobility?

Good call on the heat pump solution for heating. It makes a lot of sense. So would solar panels for electricity. Houses with that feature here actually make money by selling excess electricity back to the grid. Did you take out a builders loan for the construction? They are subject to lower loan rates AFAIK and don't come due till the construction is finished? When we built our house we split the draws into 5 moderate bundles on a low interest builders loan (approx 3% less than the going rate) and that worked out really well.
Old April 28th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Always room for one more

Not much to write home about at the junkyard. A couple 80s Oldsmobiles but nothing even remotely new. Hm. Can't believe they're out of the inventory already.

So the grass in places was taller than Tiger, so I got out the old electric mower. I used to like it, but it needs a blade and does a bad job, and it's small so it takes twice as long as it should. But it's better than African savannahs in the back yard.

Man I'm beat. I was going to work on the bedroom a little tonight, but I think I'll relax with a movie or something. Beautiful evening out.
Old April 28th, 2018, 05:28 PM

Glenn, that's very good news!
Old April 28th, 2018, 05:59 PM

congrats on the good report Glenn

Grass is cut and weed whacked might last 4 days

Got a set of ashes in the mail from Florida. Family wants me to pick out the lot, bury them and plant a a dogwood. I really like sinple

Allan, Congrats, you're planting before me

Once, I ate sum Chinese Take e out e [sp?] in the big Easy, Only time in my life, I've ever had to call the hotel doctor. Miss the King Tut exhibit

Enjoy the rest of the weekend Olds friends

BTW, us po folks are dining of London Broil [ I bet London's never heard of it]
Old April 29th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everone,

Got up to over 80 here yesterday. I'm not heat tolerant so I only spent as much time outside as I needed to. I prepared and seeded the small veggie planter I built last year. The soil was surprisingly dry and no deep frost. Can't say that of the rest of the beds. Anywho, yellow/green beans, swiss chard and beets went into the good earth to start their grow cycle. I'm going to build another planter in a few weeks and have another crop of stuff. Some produce isn't worth growing when it can be bought for cheap at the market.

Jim - welcome back. Funny video BTW but we only do that on lakes and back roads with rented mules.

Mike - Same story for the boneyards here. Are you going to buy a gas mower with some oomph to it? You find any Mr No Shoulders cutting the Savannah?

Different day, different temps. Spoda rain today and only high of around 55. Last day of televised professional curling. Mens and wimmens finals this afternoon. Another season bites the dust.

Enjoy your Sabbath
Old April 29th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Oh, fergot to show London what Jim meant....and it's not British either. Makes me want one right now.

Old April 29th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Allan, Have a native azalea for today
Old April 29th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Sunday Morning to All:

I finally got to go to a car show yesterday. It was really a nice day for a car show but started getting on up into the 80's. There were probably about 100 cars there. There were not many convertibles there and I managed to take first place in the class. We have the NTOC Zone Show next weekend and at this time the weather is supposed to be good.

Allan, that looks like what we call brisket in Texas and is the mainstay of our BBQ. Is it the same thing? It looks outstanding.

Hope all you guys have a good Sunday and good week coming up. I have to say this past week was a good one for me. I was probably a lot more worried than I realized. Thank you guys for your concern.
Old April 29th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Boy I'm liking this nice weather every day bit. It's about time.

After we got back from the Awful house this morning I dropped Tiger off and went to Home Depot to get some paint. While I was there I confirmed that they don't have the mower I want and also found all their ceiling fans are ugly. So it's off to Lowes later on.

I've decided I'm not going to get all bunged up about a Lawn Boy. They are cheapened Toro's and don't have the 2 cycle engine anymore and I have to compromise too much on what I want versus what I can get. So I'm just going to get a Troy Bilt that will do everything I want and be done with it. Haven't heard much about their quality but if it's a bum steer I'll take it back.

So after days of deliberation I decided on a medium olive drab that matches my truck. I think it will look nice with the dark trim I'm putting up and still will look good with the light carpet. Took a picture of the truck this morning and matched up the sample with the picture. Score one for the phone.

London if I could have a moat and a drawbridge I'd be happy as can be. And maybe a couple 50 cals in the turrets of my castle.

Okay gotta get something done. Have a good day everyone.
Old April 29th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, thank you for that. Saw it on FB too and it looks really pretty. Beautiful colors. Is that at your place?

Glenn, any pictures from the show? Congrats on the win!

Mike, I heard Troy Built is spoda be top notch but really expensive. Why would you want a 2 cycle engine instead of a 4? I really like not having to mix oil and gas. Only things I have that are 2 cycle are the weed wacker, ice auger and leaf blower. I just sold my 9.9 outboard that was 2 cycle. Hey! Now that you have a pic of the deuce and a half, how bout a picture??
Old April 29th, 2018, 10:06 AM

Evening

Allan, you are on the right track thinking about nobility but it wasn’t built for them. Let me explain.
The original use of my building would have been agricultural. Just North of my place stood an ancient abbey which was torn down after King Henry VIII decided he had the hump with the catholics in this country. The timbers from the abbey were reused to construct my property. An early form of recycling.
The entire estate which stood at over 1000 acres belonged to a cousin of the King and the main house stood around three miles south of me. This house still stands today and has been restored over the past twenty years. Gradually the land was divided up and my bit stands on just over 4 acres.
So sorry, no moats, no drawbridges, and definitely no turrets, just a load of woodworm.

Hey Allan, chill out with those pics of meat. Remember we have veggies watching. Lol.
Old April 29th, 2018, 10:17 AM

Evening.

Busy at work, and was busy weekend too.
Just visiting to say hello, and wish good coming week for you guys.
Next week + weekend are busy again.
Old April 29th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Always room for one more

I don't necessarily want a 2 cycle but I like Lawn Boys. The Outboard Marine engine was outstanding and I don't mind mixing the gas. Lowes has the T-B that I want at 299, which is cheeper than what the Lawn Boy is online. I've been looking for the parts to fix my old L-B but so far they are unobtainable.

Did I say I was going to do work today? Well, got on the phone and talked for awhile, then had something to eat, then had to look something up. But now I'm going to work, really I am. The room isn't going to paint itself.
Old April 29th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, you looking to get the self propelled or regular push?

EDIT: Holy mackeral!! I didn't know they made them like this. From a local Home Depot for $298.00
Lawn-Boy
Model # 10739 | Store SKU # 1000859452
Sold online and in-store.
21-inch Variable Speed All-Wheel Drive Gas Lawn Mower

Last edited by Allan R; April 29th, 2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old April 29th, 2018, 11:30 AM

Yep Allan, That native azalea is at my ole farm house [cemetery]

Mike, Get your self an Ex mark. FAST

https://www.exmark.com/
Old April 30th, 2018, 03:52 AM

Off to smack whitey

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 30th, 2018, 05:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone.

Nice and quiet but cold here this morning. Street sweepers are spoda be here this week. I don't think I'll hold my breath.
Old April 30th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Finally got a minute to sit down. Got up early so I could meet my buddy at the Awful house, then we came back here to hang a ceiling fan. After that it was back to Awful house for lunch, then I ran a couple errands, then I went to trade the car for the big truck. Didn't go anywhere, just back home. How much fun is it to just jump in something that big and drive around.

Still no color on the walls yet. I painted the bathroom ceiling last night. With the stupid textured ceiling and the wrong roller, it took me about 2 hours. I think I'll pass on painting the ceiling in the bedroom.

Summit cruise in tonight. It started last week but I was just getting home from Florida. Beautiful afternoon out so it should be a good turnout. I should take the truck.

Well I guess I'll try to make something of this day, now that it's almost over. Heck I did, drove the truck.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old April 30th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Mike, FYI

Troy built makes GREAT tillers [their original product] I don't care for their other stuff
Old April 30th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Afternoon Guys:
I had the cable guy here all morning. I changed from Frontier to Spectrum. This all started a few week ago when I dropped my land line to save money (retirement). I was paying about $260/month for cable, internet and phone. I tried using T-Mobiles LineLink that provides phone service through the internet. What a fiasco. I won't go into a lot of detail but suffice to say the LineLink is garbage and Frontier is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. With Spectrum I increased my internet speed for 50 whatever hertz to 100, get phone and cable with no premium channels for $140/month all in for the next 12 months. Then it goes to $160 which is still a $100/month savings and a lot faster service. Time will tell how good the service is. Can't be any worse.
Mike, I bought a Lawn Boy about 20 years ago when we moved in our house. Then work interfered and I had somebody do my yard. I loaned the mower to my former POS son in law. The dumbass probably hocked it because it was gone when the turd walked away from my daughter and two grandsons. Just another reason the thought of him pisses me off. I will probably let the guy continue to do my yard this year and then will start doing it myself next year.
Jim, I hope you shot in the 70's. I may dig my clubs out. I don't know if I will ever break a hundred.
I hope all you guys have had a good day so far and finish well.
Old April 30th, 2018, 02:19 PM

Only did that once [ on the front side]
Old April 30th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Only did that once [ on the front side]
What, broke a hundred??? I was gonna perdict 46/44 today. What did you actually shoot?

Mike - I think painting textured ceilings is a royal PITA. Last time I did it (old house) I started with a roller and soon realized it was a bad thing to do. I rented a paint sprayer and did it that way, then cut in the wall edges and did them.

Glenn - We had a similar issue (different service provider obviously) and we ditched them. The new company also screwed the pooch on phone so we ditched the phone and went to a ZTE network connection for the home phone. Costs us $5.00/month now instead of $32. I know exactly how you feel about spending $$ as I also have to budget a retirement income. We changed TV service too, as the previous one cost an arm and a leg. New one is OPTIC HD with 3 free PVRs, 15 tiers of HD channels, and 2 premium movie channels for $115/month. You're right that it's important to watch where each nickel and dime goes. It adds up really fast. Eg: a cuppa coffee 2x a day costs roughly $5.00. X 7 = 35...X4 = $140...X12 = a whopping $1680/yr and that's just for a convenient small thing. I'm actually impressed that Mike can afford to visit awful house as much as he does. Big D must pay not too badly

Grilling burgers for dinner if y'all wanna drop by. There'll be plenty unless the sons hollow leg and tapeworm get involved...
Old April 30th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, you are my kind of golfer. Playing golf is kind of like going to car shows. I go to have a good time not to win a plaque or trophy. It is also a good reason to drink beer.
Allan you make some very good points. I have gotten to where I never drink ice tea at a restaurant any more. We probably pay at least $3.00 a glass on the low end. I just get water with lemon. The water is probably better for me anyway. The burgers on the grill sound pretty good. I have a box of Bubba Burgers in the freezer.

Later guys.
Old April 30th, 2018, 04:11 PM

Finally got some warm weather, 69° here this afternoon, it was 24° this morning. Went to a furniture store in Allandale, Mi., about 30 miles from here (74° there), that sells Amish furniture. I wanted to get a good coat rack for the front entrance as I couldn't find diddly around here. I ordered a four foot wide one, with two shelves, a small mirror and 5 nickle plated coat hooks. It will be made of Elm, with a nice medium/dark stain on it. The bad: 8-10 weeks for the Amish to make it. Hmm, must be the busy season, or maybe they can only afford to have one Amish craftsman employed at a time.
Old May 1st, 2018, 05:42 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Hope everyone is well.

Off to the grind.
Old May 1st, 2018, 06:05 AM

Mawn'in

Originally Posted by CQR
Mornin all. Hope everyone is well.

Off to the grind.

Glad you're still with us, Clint

Has anyone ever had Amish home made [as is road side stand with hairey legged girls] sauerkraut? Wonderful

Beautiful day here to plant more dogwoods

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 1st, 2018, 08:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Bit of a late start to the day. I made a delicious bacon/lettuce/tomato sammich wit mayo and side of bran muffin wit raisins to go with my cuppa orange pekoe tea. The cup was a gift from Adrian. The tea had a hint of Koala to it

Yesterday was beautimus and the grill did a great job. Sorry guys, the boy's hollow leg aint hollow anymore. I picked up some sliced honey ham and beer sausage whilst out shopping with the Mrs. This morning I noticed about half of the ham was gone and couldn't figger that out. Usually I make my son a lunch in the mawnin and his fav is honey ham. I dress it up with all the fixins so it's a substantial sammich when I'm done. Anywho, he comes downstairs just before his shower and asks what I'm up to. I thought the answer was self explanatory, but I told him I was making him a sammich. What a shocker! He doesn't usually prepare for his shift the night before but this time he had already made a submarine sammich and had it cooling in the fridge. Oh well, I finished the sammich and packed it for him anyway. Honest, that boy could keep pace with Jethro Bodine. (some of you might remember who that is)

My sister asked me to participate in an Ancestry project for DNA. She bought the kit and asked me to do the spit thing and send it in. I had been procrastinating about getting it done, but this mawnin I did it. I guess in about a month I'll know if I'm related to Jouni or London

Jim - Dogwoods are such beautiful trees and they get pussywillows before any other tree I know. We used to cut them when I was a kid and try to make bows outta them. Never worked worth squat.

Clint - Hope all is well with you too sir.

Dan - There's a couple of Amish stores here. I was curious about their products so I giggled them. Ooops, I mean Googled them. Wow, they make some incredibly nice things. I couldn't find anything like what you described though but I did see some really cool entry chairs/storage cubbies. Love to see the finished product when you get it.

Time to head out and enjoy the fresh air. Have a wonderful day y'all
Old May 1st, 2018, 02:25 PM

Sorry Jim, no hairy sauerkraut for me. Allan, I have been in a couple furniture stores that sell Amish furniture, and have always been impressed by the quality, and the hardwoods that they use (some awesome staining). The downside is that you have to pay for that craftsmanship, it ain't cheap. I would love a large Amish made dining room table and chairs, but yikes! It would cost a small fortune. By the way, where has Darrell been?
Old May 1st, 2018, 02:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, he's probably hiding out with Jouni and Clint? Good question. I haven't seen anything from him in a long time. I think he disappeared before John decided to take a break. I hope everything is well with him.
Old May 1st, 2018, 04:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

No rain in days. It can continue like this. Slept good all day and got up early-ish and ran a couple errands.

Summit was good last night. I'd say over 200 cars. One Oldsmobile, a poorly done 72 Cutlass "W30." It didn't say W30 on it but had bad stripes on the side and a bunch of stuff that was supposed to make it look cool. It didn't.

Thanks for stopping in Clint. Don't be such a stranger. I thought I'd be out to visit you but Frontier Airlines has let me down. There's lots of people who used to be regulars who aren't anymore. I guess people move on. Hard to imagine people would do that without the Oldsmobile version of Facebook.

Okay night 1. Hope everyone's week is going well.