The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old April 4th, 2018, 03:46 PM

Greg, we got a bit of that snow on the west side as well, about 3", with a little more coming tonight, it dosen't look like we will see 50° until next week. Allan, can you get Harry's razors in your part of the hemisphere? I switched to them last year and I am pleased with the price and shave. Clint, a '50 Crestliner? cool, I think that they are neat, I have no idea why, but of that time of early fifties, that car appeals to me, poverty caps and wide whites. One non GM car that I wouldn't mine having.
Old April 4th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold but sunny. I don't think it hit 60 today, which really isn't cold but I like 80 better.

I was over at my neighbor's the other day(by the shop) and his 37 year old kid was there. These guys are heavy into hot rodding and restomod and the like. I said, the last time I was over here you had a shoebox on the lift(it was actually a 53). The kid says, what's a shoebox? Both his dad and I just looked at him.

My beard used to come in red, which is weird because I'm blond. Anymore it comes in with a hint of grey. Hm.

Jamesbo what's a plunder room? Is that like Fibber Magee's closet?

Okay gotta put gas in the car on the way to work, or I'm walking. Work wasn't too bad last night, wouldn't mind a repeat.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old April 5th, 2018, 04:07 AM

Mawn'in

Ok WTF happened to spring

Cold and clear but Elsie's in the way

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo what's a plunder room? Is that like Fibber Magee's closet?
It's an out building filled with wooden 105 mm mortor boxes [ remember that story?]and other assorted junk

I've had a beard a few times, but I look kinda like CheGuevara

When it warms up, I may begin weed whacking

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 5th, 2018, 05:43 AM

Good day everyone.

Been relatively warm, and rained every now and then. Snow has been spanked hard today, yay!

Not much else.. Have a day all-> I should get even something done..
Old April 5th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Slept late till 7:15. Must be getting old. Clear cold morning here

Jouni, somehow Canada is tied for first place now with a 7-1 record. Last night playing Netherlands I was really impressed with Jaap Van Dorp and his squad. They rallied in the 6 th end and came to within 1 point, but then lost their momentum on a couple of bad shots. They've really improved since last year. Today Canada plays China and USA, afternoon and evening games. Both of those teams aren't doing very well in this competition but you never know what will happen.

Jim, I think everyone has a junk room that they call sumpin or other. So, is Wednesday gonna be the new whack whitey day?

Dan, I never heard of that brand. Have to check on it.

Glenn, I can't take it anymore. It's coming off today.

I think I should wash the car today. It's been awhile and it also needs a bit of gas. Since I don't drive much I've been waiting for gas prices to come down a bit after the Easter weekend.

Enjoy your day.
Old April 5th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning All:

Allan, I have had one beard in my life. It came in full and completely gray like my hair. It probably added about 5 years to my perceived age so I did not keep it very long. Now that I am retired I really don't care. The biggest thing is that my wife does not like it. Now you know the real story.

I didn't get my parking meter stand built yesterday so that is on the agenda this morning. Three of my friends are having a retirement party for my this afternoon so my wife and I are leaving for that around 3:30. I am looking forward to it. That is about it for the day. Hope all of you have a good day.
Old April 5th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well it's gone now and I feel a lot better. I left the stache to see how it looks but I'm thinking it's the same story as Glenn.

Dan, I checked the brand I love and it's called Swipe. Not available in Canada now. I bought them at Costco about 3 years ago. That tells you how good a blade they are since I typically only shave 2x a week unless I have something special planned. Swipe is a 6 blade razor. I might try online ordering a brand called Dorco (Pace 6) which appears to be similar, but ships from South Korea. The swipe brand outperforms every razor I've ever tried and I don't get stubble for 2 days after.

Glenn, have fun at the party!
Old April 5th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Back before Buckhead got so trendy, I used to go to as ole time barber shop and get a straight shave and take a nap after lunch.

The barber was getting Parkinson's disease but when he got the razor close to your face, he stopped shaving

Only shave I ever had that lasted more than a day. I've heard they don't even teach straight shaves in barber school anymore. Sad, I loved it.

Allan, I haveta ax. Do you use cake soap a brush and a mug?
Old April 5th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, nope.
Old April 5th, 2018, 10:16 AM

Allan, I woulda lost money on that one. Next time you're at the drug store price a cake of shaving soap, If ya don't wanta buy a mug just use an ole coffee cup. Get yourself a bush and you'll save big bucks in no time
Old April 5th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - How does using cake soap and a brush save me money on a shave? It's the blades that cost a small fortune not the lube.
Old April 5th, 2018, 10:58 AM

You're not buying Barbasol or Edge every time you turn around. The cakes last forever

Don't know if you've ever heard of Clarke Howell [consumer reporter] but according to him, If ya dry the new blades, they last alot longer. I've been told whenever Gillette or whomever comes out with their newest blade [ like TRAC XX] the dial back the machine that sharpens their old blade [liike TRAC IXX] so the consumer will not like the old ones as well as the "new and improved]

Sneaky SOB's aren't they
Old April 5th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I've done the dry thing but it's really only good when it's a day or two old. Sometimes I just use the razor with a dunk under hot running water. Edge and other gels I get from Costco. They almost pay me to take it away so I'm not worried about saving money on that stuff.

I definitely don't like the disposable 1 blades, nor am I happy with most 3 blade systems. The one I found incredibly effective is that Swipe 6 blade cartridge and the ba$tards won't sell it here or ship to Canada either. Rotten SOB's indeed.
Old April 5th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, not to belittle golf but WTF is going on? TSN preempts world curling to show the Masters instead of Canada vs China? Total BS. They have 5 channels and they're filled with golf. You'd think at least one would carry coverage of curling dammit.
im gonna send them a nastygram.
Old April 5th, 2018, 01:15 PM

I believe you when you said that Gillette dulls down blades so that you will buy the newest version of "turbo" whatever. I noticed years ago the my replacement Mach 3 turbos pulled more when shaving and did not last long, so that, along with their high prices got me to switch, hence the Harry's. I also went from Edge shaving cream to Creamo, which is so much better, but I am too cheap to spend thirty dollars or more for a brush and mug.
Old April 5th, 2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Jim, not to belittle golf but WTF is going on? TSN preempts world curling to show the Masters instead of Canada vs China? Total BS. They have 5 channels and they're filled with golf. You'd think at least one would carry coverage of curling dammit.
im gonna send them a nastygram.
it's supply and demand 101

Unless you're in the frozen norte, ya don't know zippo about curling, sit back and enjoy the azaleas
Old April 5th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful again. And it smells pretty out. The pollen is going away, slowly but noticeably. I've been lucky this year it really hasn't affected me. Others, not so much.

Jamesbo I'd love to go have a straight razor shave. I may have to travel to your beloved Olde Towne barber shop in forgotten Buckhead to get one.

Night 2 wasn't bad. We started out by having a fire drill, that wasn't a drill that lasted about an hour. One of the mechanics was the guest lead so we didn't do much. Left about an hour early so that wasn't so bad. The only trouble with getting home early is Tiger wants to get up more during the day. I might experiment with putting booze on his breakfast.

Night 3 is upon us. I can only hope it will be as benign as the last two. Ain't this the life. Wanting to get through the week only because it probably will suck. Sheesh.

Okay have a good night everyone. One more to go...
Old April 5th, 2018, 11:18 PM

Good Morning.

So its friday? Yeah. Sauna and beer Snow has melted well, and continues to do so.
Still no call to work I called my supervisor yesterday to just talk, and he mentioned that Company lead might postpone our starting to start of May
Of course, it just means more money to us ( amount of money for road infrastructure is pretty constant year to year, so to do everything in shorter timeframe -> more overtime at work -> more money) but id rather be on work already.

Hmm, beard.. Last time ive cutted my beard is.. 2011. At army, where it was required to get on weekend-vacation. Since army ive cutted my hair once a week too, and same time i cut my hair, i clean my beard too with the same hair-cutter to not look savage.
My wife wouldnt be too happy if id had full-grown beard, so i keep it rather short.

Allan R - How did the Golf go? Smackin whitey, eh?

redoldsman - How was the retirment party? Enjoyed? Well, you have plenty of time to complete that parking meter later

Okay, nice weekend for everyone!
Old April 6th, 2018, 05:16 AM

Mawn'in

Another beautiful day

Mike, Sorry, it closed years ago

Allan, Here's a test on the popularity of curling. Turn on boob tube, hit search on your remote, scroll down past movies, news etc and hit sports. Mine has football baseball basketball and GOLF but no curling

GTG got a marker delivery on the way

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Darn construction hammering started at 7:00 on the dot, now nuthin. Worst part is it's perfectly legal with the hours they can do that. Bastages.

Canada beat China, I had to look that up since the Masters pre empted that game. From what I read Canada didn't play well but still managed to defeat the Made in China team 7-4. The game against USA was televised though. Right out of the hack USA was out curling team Canada. Mostly cuz team Canada played like a goat and deserved to lose. Strange how that happens, a team ranked 2 is defeated by the one ranked 11 out of 13. That will be interesting as today Canada will play Niklas Edin of Sweden who's the undisputed #1 ranked team. Then they play Germany who's ranked 12, just ahead of dead last Netherlands.

Jim, yer channel guide must be broken. I checked my guide and it shows Curling, Skiing, Dog sled races, speed skating, hockey but no golf. Talk to your cable provider about upgrading to the popular sports.....

Jouni, good to hear your snow is melting. Still waiting for ours to take the hint. No, I don't whack whitey but have watched it on occasion when there's nothing else, which is kinda rare. I guess waiting for work must be driving you nuts. Hmmm, you keep your beard trimmed, that's just like team Sweden.

Mike, what's a fire drill that's not a drill? A real fire? Is Tigee wobbly after a meal with booze in it?

London, it's said that people buy dogs that resemble them, or are an extension of their personality. Now you have the job of shaving twice: your goatee and your pups. That could be fun.

Ok, another hour and a half I'll be glued to the non Masters channel watching team Sweden school,team Canada. Meantime, brekkie awaits.
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:26 AM

Allan, They don't need to put golf on the guide when the put it on every channel
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning All:

Well I did get my parking meter stand built yesterday. It turned out nicely but I have to make a couple modifications today. It is too tall (58"). I have no measurement as to what the height should be an no access to parking meters nearby. I am going to cut about 6 inches off the height and spot weld a nut on the bottom and then it will be ready to use at the car show tomorrow.

The retirement party yesterday was outstanding. There were about 2 dozen friends and former coworkers there. I have to say I was very touched. Now I can say I am fully retired.

I have a UIL concert for youngest grandson at 1:00 this afternoon and a basketball game at 8:00 tonight for the oldest one. It is neat to be able to attend these events now. Most if any of you know that I have a daughter and two grandsons living with us. The boys are 15 and turning 13 next month and have been here since they were small. Their dad is completely out of their lives and I serve as the male figure in their lives. It is sometimes difficult finding that line between that and being their grandfather. They are good kids and I am very proud of both of them.

I hope you boys have a good day. I am going to.

Glenn
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:37 AM

Glenn, Aren't you afraid some goof ball will knock it over and it will hit your fender
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Allan, They don't need to put golf on the guide when the put it on every channel
jim, I gots a reply from tsn apologizing for that rude hogging of the masters on their 5 channels. They said it won't happen again, especially when IMPORTANT events like world CURLING are on.
When curling is done I spose we will have the traditional logging, fishing, speedboat and car racing to look forward to. Know what I mean Verne?
Old April 6th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Evening.

Off from sauna; soon out of beer. Miserable life

Allan R - Well, Sweden is after all our western neighbour.. And we have alot of jokes about them

Hmm, TV & Sports especially. I look "alot" of sport on TV, giving how much i look TV at all, its much. Football ( real football ) , and anything which moves with 4-stroke engine is on my list. And Olympics. Just watched F1 practices. Now, i must admit, when you US guys bought the rights for it, its more entertaining to watch. Something you are really good at; putting up great show! Still dreaming about flying over to see either Winter-Nats, or some Indy-Car race. Not too excited about Nascar.. Shame.

Hmm...... Maybe i go sleep soon? Or not? Was bad weather whole day, gray and damp, and rained every now and then. Only positive being, it melted snow real good.

Have a evening all!
Old April 6th, 2018, 10:06 AM

Inline, Yeah we can hype anything.

IMHO the super bowl is hype for the sake of hype

Allan, You watch the ice, I like the azaleas

Ya ever wonder how come there aren't many Baptist Eskimos?

They'd perish being immersed
Old April 6th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Fair enuff Jim. Honest I could never live in the south. Way too hot and humid. I'm glad you enjoy it though.
Old April 6th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jamesbo:

The parking meter getting knocked over and into the car is a concern. I have it mounted on a pretty big brake rotor. I have tilted it over and it has to lean petty far over before the center of gravity shifts. I cut 6 inches off the stand this morning which helped it a lot. I have the assembly down to where it is pretty easy with only a 3/4 inch combination end wrench. It is too big to carry in the car assembled.
Old April 6th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well we made it. Friday is here. I did fairly well last night and it's too much to hope for four in a row. But my buddy will be there tonight and the new guy who seems decent, so we'll at least have some fun. And if things go well, so much the better.

Glenn my neighbor has a parking meter mounted on a flywheel. That thing is heavy as a mother. As far as I know it still works.

Jamesbo I have azaleas that have lived a horrible life. Dug up several times and replanted(poorly), getting backed over by the car, squashed between other shrubs and trees, and they are still as pretty as they can be when they bloom. They are one of my favorites.

Allan the fire drill was that the alarm system malfunctioned and we all bailed out into the parking lot and the fire department came. We saw them in the windows, going through every room before they'd let us back in. A couple times throughout the evening the alarm would sound, but only for a few seconds. Building maintenance was there most of the night.

It's just started raining. Supposed to rain all night and most of tomorrow. So I guess it doesn't matter if I get home early I'll just sleep since I can't do much else.

Well it's that time. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old April 7th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Took the Mrs and her girlfriend to the symphony last night. It was their girls night out so I was just the chauffeur there and back. The show was called Tango Caliente! and they both enjoyed the front row seats. I really don't like driving late at night anymore. It seems like there's more crazy drivers out there late at night than I see during the day.

Canada did beat Germany last night 8-1 after only six ends. Quite a comparison to the morning draw where they lost to Sweden 6-5. By virtue of performance Sweden and Scotland have a bye into the semi finals. Canada will end up playing USA this mawnin in the quarter finals. If they play like yesterday, there a very good chance they'll win their match and advance. A couple hours from now we'll see.

Glenn, I'm sure you'll be fine with the parking meter. If nothing else, you could also put sandbags on the base of the rotor. I see lots of things like that at car shows and generally people don't disturb anything set out by the owner.

Mike, so did you get 4 in a row ? If you want to send the rain up this way I'd take it over what we got. Hopefully it stops and gives you a chance to do something outside.

Jim, ya ever get the fridge situation done. Never heard back about that.

Jouni, what kind of jokes? When I was at the Champions Cup (another world curling event) I met Niklas and his team. They were super nice to chat with and I even got my picture taken with them. If all the swedes are like them it would be hard to believe they are the butt of jokes.

Dan, how did the first week treat you? Anything more about the looming strike?

I have to pick up my new computer workstation today so I'll need the boy and his muscles as I think it will be a bit much for me. Like almost everything sold now, assembly required. Hope it's not as bad as ikea products.
Old April 7th, 2018, 06:54 AM

Headed norte

Allan, the fridge is working like a Timex

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old April 7th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ya mean it only works at 10 to 2??

I'd shoot my fridge if it made ticking sounds all the time...
Old April 7th, 2018, 09:47 AM

Allan, the second week on first shift was much better than the first, I'm getting used to the hours, it's weird going to bed at 9pm, I might be getting old. We had a meeting last Thursday, with a turnout of 1800 people to unanimously support a strike if necessary, hopefully it won't come to that.
Old April 7th, 2018, 09:47 AM

Evening.

Not much accomplished today. Cleaned some parts to my engine, watched F1 qualifying. Now, dont know? Maybe go sleep

Jamesbo - Never cared to watch Super bowl even they television it on here. You can read from next day magasine who flashed *****/ butt on "mistake"..

Allan R - Mostly gay-jokes, and they are presented as idiots on our jokes too. And those jokes are plenty Long story, but all of it is related to our history

Okay, have a day all.. I figure out what will i do for rest of evening.
Old April 7th, 2018, 12:10 PM

Allan, just a thought but if you like Swipe razors so much why not have a look on eBay. I found them on the UK version.

Just got back from the football and now my throat is hurting with the amount of singing and shouting as well as hurling abuse at the referee,which he well deserved.

Had to buy a new tumble drier this morning after the belt on the old one finally gave up, I’d been meaning to renew it for months and finally had no choice. I went with a Samsung model which is normally very reliable.

Have a good weekend y’all.
Old April 7th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well, I'd call last night a success. My buddy who I only work with on Friday was the guest lead and he thought he hooked me up, but a couple of the planes that were supposed to be easy turned out to be stupidly long. Still got out around 4, not a bad showing for a Friday.

Took in the Awful house then a guy from over by the shop wanted to come have a look at the Olds parts car sitting on the side of the house. He's almost 40 but it's like talking to a kid. His dad called a couple times telling him he's been gone too long. Anyway, there wasn't as much of the car that was good as I thought, so I gave him a rather generous price and said pick off it what you want. He said he'd have to save up. Hm.

Jamesbo so many things tick and rattle and groan in my house I would welcome something running like a Timex. My fridge sounds like it has marbles in it. Been that way since it was new.

London you can get belts and change them yourself. Done that once on a POS dryer I had and cut the hell out of my hand taking it apart. On second thought, go show on a new one.

Dan got the package. Thanks! Looks good.

Okay gotta get a couple little things done and I think Tiger and I are going to have Arby's for dinner. Then I need to go to the grocery store because I'm about out of everything. I don't know how that happens, what I spend in groceries every week.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old April 7th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

London, thanks for the tip. I looked on eBay Canada and they have the same deal as dot UK.

I looked on Amazon and the dot com won't ship to Canada, dot CA automatically rerouted to dot com.

After currency conversion and import fees plus shipping they would cost around $75.00 and that's just too much. When I bought them.at Costco I paid just $27.00 for the same package. Why they don't stock them anymore I don't know.
Old April 8th, 2018, 04:11 AM

Funny you guys talking about beards and shaving. I decided I would let me beard go after I retired. We left on a 40 day trip across the country last year so by time we got home it had been about 3 months. Completely grey and course. I couldn't stand it and no one said anything about it... You know what that means.. Just like me, their Mom told them if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all... So off it went. Well still cold here. Was 12 degrees the other night at cabin. I left the heat off there since first of March as we always do. Yesterday I called my neighbor up there to go check the water, all was OK. But who would think it would be this cold in mid April?
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

My son and I picked up the new computer workstation yesterday. I was feeling pretty sick after we got it in and unpacked. It's something that happens a lot to me as I age and there doesn't seem to be a cure. Anywho while I was recuperating I heard some noises on the main floor and went to check on it. Twas the boy assembling the desk on his own. He wouldn't let me help which frustrated me, but he did a great job putting it together. It looks just as I thought it would, and I love the cherry finish.

Canada beat USA in quarter finals, but I have to finish watching the semi final between them and Scotland. Bruce Mouat is a young skip but has patience and wisdom beyond his years. This is going to be close. Ice at The Orleans is proving to be difficult. With all the humidity in the building the ice is very heavy and the ice techs have to scrape and re-pebble after the 5th end to get rid of the frost. That's an unheard of thing that's only happened once before at The Scotties in St. Catherine's. Bronze and gold medal games later today.

Greg, I couldn't take it after only a week. You must have more resolve than me. I don't mind a few days stubble but that's about it. How did your 40 day road trip turn into 3 months???
Old April 8th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Quiet when I got there but the place filled up quick. Lots of people who should be in church. Like me.

Greg I'm guessing your trip was 40 days out, ten days there, and 40 days back. That's my kind of trip.

Lots of stuff to do today. I might even do some of it. I need a new mower. I want a new Lawn Boy but hate to spend that kind of dough if it's not like the old ones. Got some chores to do as well. Cloudy and cold out, not liking that.

Well, have a good day everyone.

Search this Thread