The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2018, 06:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Off to curling in 45 minutes or so in a nice toasty car. it's -18 right now so I decided to plan ahead last night by plugging in the cars block heater and an in car heater. No frost to scrape and no sitting on cold leather either.

The brier continues with some interesting developments. The A side pool is as expected, but the B side has some surprising twists. Today is last day of round robin and tomorrow the championship play downs start.

Jim, congrats on the recognition. If it's dry today or tomorrow, go whack whitey instead of waiting for Monday.

Jouni, sounds like you're in love with your work.

London, okee dokey.

Clint, me too.

Enjoy your humpday.
Old March 7th, 2018, 08:32 AM

Allan R - Ofc i am, wouldnt do it otherwise

So, visited car sales and bought me a "new" work-car, 07 Ford Mondeo stw diesel( atleast in Finland theres a joke that owning a Ford at some point of your life quarantees you a Place on heaven after mortal life, due to already experiencing hell with Ford ).
Now im gonna hack rear-seats off of it, and register it as a van. That way my diesel-fuel tax drops almost to zero, max benefits for saving pennies.
And that PoS called Honda will be happily and without remorse left to my wife
Old March 7th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Sunny today but cool, I don't think it hit 50. Won't be long before it's light on my way to work.

Good night at work. Rode with a guy who I always have fun with. Usually it's at someone else's expense. Got a lot done. I told Tiger when I got home, it's odd when getting home on time is getting home early.

Slept good today, but Tiger wanted to get up far too many times. I wonder if some booze in his breakfast would take care of that.

Okay off to night 2. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old March 7th, 2018, 08:51 PM
golden rocket

I know that some of the readers/members are Vista Cruiser folks. Was cruising the Craigslist ads for the Tulsa Ok area, and came across this one. Seems like most options, including an AM/FM 8 Track (which doesn't work). A/C compressor not shown , so could be considered a project car, I guess. If anybody is interested, here is a link to the ad.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/d/1...517766562.html

Just trying to save another Oldsmobile.

mike
Old March 8th, 2018, 04:28 AM

Mawn'in

Chili but clear

Well, the Super model went to help one of her 6 sisters that had a bum leg. Spose to spend the night but got into a cat fight and decided to let her struggle on her own. Doesn't surprise me in in the least.

Me, I wouldn't have made the effort and wasted the gas Being able to see into the future is a gift

Have a great day Olds friends
Old March 8th, 2018, 04:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Cool here this morning @-20. Spoda warm up to -2 later on so not bad. Next week the melt is Spoda begin. Yay!!

Golden, that ad might be better in the general discussion section. For something that's Spoda be bone stock it doesn't sound like it as the seller keeps telling what's been changed. Still, an interesting car. He's wrong about the availability of VC parts though, especially the rotted out sheet metal.

Mike, that's funny. I wonder how Tiger would react.

Looks like I have to buy a new computer. Each time I find one that looks reasonable I find reviews that 50% or more of buyers say it's a piece of crap. I'm looking at desktops not laptops. Something with either an i5 or i7 Intel 7 th gen processor. The biggest problem is migrating the email and data files, then delete all the bloat ware. Delete Windows defender and put on my own AV.

Jouni, good luck with your blue oval. Never heard of that model. Your registrations sound much different than here.
Old March 8th, 2018, 04:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni, just looked it up. It has good reviews and is good for styling. Nice that diesels are fitted with sport suspension. Spoda be a quiet and comfortable riding car. How many km on it?
Old March 8th, 2018, 05:30 AM

Morning, Golden Mike that Vista is on ebay too, I saw it there. We ended up getting about 4" of snow yesterday, snowing again this morning. Went to a local photo shop and got some old family slides made into prints, sorta pricy but irreplaceable. I need to get back to restoring my 71 Supreme grills. I've got them painted dull aluminum but now need to paint in the black w a small brush.
Old March 8th, 2018, 06:54 AM

My dad was in the audio visual business. Every year, he'd take a piece of shirt card board, write the year [I'd hold it up] on it and take movies of Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving etc.

I've got boxes of 35 mm films on reels stored away cause no one wants to see pics of me in feety pjs
Old March 8th, 2018, 08:53 AM

Greg, for a change we're not getting dumped on by lake effect snow, got about 1 1/2" here. It was coming down pretty good last night on my commute from work, that crap that just comes right at the windshield, visibility sucked a few times.
Old March 8th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Evening.

Went to get my car today, and heated sauna. Wife soon goes there, and me after. Have to look boy meanwhile. No snow despite they promised. Lets see does it snow tomorrow? Tomorrow ill go to garage anyways, wife heads for day-trip to his Brother and girlfriend. I have a sixth sense about when its better to pass the trip

Jamesbo - Lol, you got me laughing with your gift of foreseeing

Allan R - 362tkm. Id quess at in many Places it would be called for Junk But we tend to drive alot with our cars. 362tkm is just driven in here. I had only two qualifies: just inspected, next time on 3/19, and working Cruise. That Ford just happened to tick both boxes.
For some reason Blue Ovals are really cheap used, i payed 1600$ for it. If it gives me bigger problems i just junk it and buy "new". Anyways, its cheaply made compared to my PoS Honda, which in turn is cheaply made compared to my older Volvo. But its good to drive, so cant complain, especially since i bought it just to serve as my work-car

Okay, have a day all!

Last edited by Inline; March 8th, 2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old March 8th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Such a pretty day. Too bad it's windy and cold. Eh, you can't have it all.

Jamesbo you've dredged up a dark time in my life. I used to have pj's with feet in them. I loved them. One evening I was in the bathtub and my Mom came in and said hurry up I have a surprise for you. So I got into my jammies and said what's the surprise? She said look down. She had cut the feet off my pj's. I was horrified. I said, put them back on! But alas she wouldn't. I was traumatized for days.

I'm afraid my Vista Cruiser is going to have to go that route, or at least Craigslist. It just sits, I'm not going to have the time to work on it for years, and there are plenty of things up the totem pole to be done before I can even think about it. Too bad. I like looking at it.

Another night of not too bad. I must be in an alternate universe. We'll see if I can make the trifecta.

Okay gonna get ready and head out. One more after this. Have a good evening everyone.
Old March 8th, 2018, 04:03 PM

Mike, you're bringing back memories [nightmares]

In college I went to the "No tell Motel' with a bimbo that appeared in a pair of feety PJ's with a bunny embroidered on them. fortunately it didn't take long to loose them. She was forever known as "Thumper"

Unfortunately the poor soul got lost in the 60's and OD'd on some "Bad acid" such a sweet child

Tres sad
Old March 9th, 2018, 05:15 AM

Good afternoon.

So, wife and kid are away, hopefully they stay even overnight
Today its been snowing whole day. Ripped seat-belts and seats from back of my Mondeo, and on monday i head to our machinery to weld all those bolt-holes meant attaching rear-seats, shut. Inspection to van requires that, so it wont be easily converted illegally back to passenger-car.

Hmm.. If those stay overnight, ill go buy some beer, chips, heat sauna, and watch some good movie. Quality-friday ahead!

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old March 9th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Pulled the trigger on a new puter yesterday. I think if it was a car it would be LS powered. Gotta take my old one in so they can migrate the data and email files. Then I have to learn how to navigate Windows 10.

Jouni, interesting how that works. Enjoy your brief sabbatical. 362 km would be a throw away car here, almost. No one wants that mileage as it's likely going to cost a lot for required maintenance on a lot of parts. Stuff with that mileage usually goes to an auction.

Anutter good day to head out curling, then watch more pro curling. Temps are starting to rise. Makes me wonder if the car wash is a good idea.

Enjoy your Friday.
Old March 9th, 2018, 05:37 AM

Note to self

ALWAYS PAY FRIDGE REPAIR BILL WITH CREDIT CARD [So when they tell you to stuff it, you can dispute the charge
Old March 9th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, that doesn't sound good. What happened?
Old March 9th, 2018, 03:20 PM

The )^(_)*)&^()^(_*(&)* refuse to stand behind their work [diagnosis] and basically said, "Stick it"
Old March 9th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo I thought you were getting a new fridge. Did the new people tell you to stick it? Perhaps you could put a sign next to your new sign, The X Company Told Me To Stick It.

My stars it's been a long week. Finally Friday. I don't expect anything good to come of tonight. The lead we had last night told me tonight is his Super Friday so he won't be our lead tonight. That's because he has to go home early. Well guess what, it's my Super Friday and I'm guessing I stay till the end.

Beautiful here, if not a little chilly. Days are staying longer and that will continue with the time change this weekend. Love it.

Awful house was rather quiet tonight, as in I was the only customer. That's okay. It's Friday so the drunk people will make up for it later on.

Okay off to work. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old March 10th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Well it looks like our old insurance company is toast. We got a complete comparison from a competitor for over $1,000.00 less, same coverage. How does this happen? I always thought loyalty was rewarded, but apparently not. Oh well, the difference in costs will pay for the new puter.

Jim, sorry to hear. If it cost that much to diagnose either the tech was yanking your chain or was inept. That's a lot of $$ that could have gone towards a new fridge. I guess questions like how old was it don't matter at this point. I'm guessing it still doesn't work? Knock on wood, we have a second fridge in the basement that is going on 20 years and still works fine. Same with the chest freezer that's over 25 years old. Both made by Inglis.
Old March 10th, 2018, 09:34 AM

Here's the deal, the owner [father] is a nice dependable guy [I think] Unfortunately he's very ill and his son [that's now running things ] is a first class jacka$$.

So, I have little hope but can wait and see if pop recovers, return to the job and makes good on his son's shotty work

BUT, it pi$$es me off to no end
Old March 10th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Did pretty well last night. Got home around 430. The lead kind of ticked me off because he didn't know it was my Friday, and at 400 he's still looking for things for me to do. I wasn't about to volunteer that it was Friday before vacation but he asked what day it was for me and I told him, Friday before vacation. Well alright then. Sheesh.

Jamesbo I'd say cut your losses and move on. Unless Pops thinks the son is a jackleg you're not going to get much out of him.

Allan there is some index I read about where the insurance company figures if you've stayed with them X amount of time you're not going to change, so they up your rates. They think you'll pay the extra rather than going to the trouble of changing. By the way Windows 10 sucks.

Lots to do. I'd better get going. Time changes tonight. Have a good day everyone.
Old March 10th, 2018, 10:35 AM

Evening all.

Didnt do nothing today. Almost literally. Had fun times with my boy, heated sauna, heated fireplace- where at the current moment is nice peace of A-class meat getting done sloooooowly-yum!!!! Food for 2 or 3 days for both of us. That much meat. Should be ready tomorrow-morning.
And it finally snowed alot also, so i did "some" snow-work too.
Tomorrow to garage. For sure.. Actually i have only fuel-lines to get done before work, then theres nothing i can do before i get rich again and can buy rest of the stuff i need to my motor. Oh i lied, actually when i get my engine from machinery, i can file all the 40 piston rings i have.. Tho, i have machine for it, not really an effort with it..

Allan R - Funny thing, just coincidence? Just yesterday i also looked my insurances, and noticed that at my Honda, if i would re-take my insurace to it, i would get it over half cheaper.. I got same feeling as you about kicking loyal customers to teeth while trying to lure in new customers..... You guys have really steep prices on insurances thought.. My 3 cars + trailer + house 114m2 and outside building containing sauna and workshop 60m2, are all total of about 1400$/ year.. Everything aint covered to top, but my property is. Cars has just the necessary insurances required By law to be able to drive on public roads

Jamesbo - I would note the old man how his son is running the business he build. Letting him know is just the right thing to do in my opinion. The son could learn something from following talk. Even if you decide to go another route

Okay, have a day all. One thing i hate about being on long vacation at winters, is that every day feels the same. My wife sayed the same thing. When im at work, weekends feel like a weekends again, and theres something to wait every week. Now its just same dull grey from day to day, if you know what i mean.

Last edited by Inline; March 10th, 2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old March 10th, 2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Inline
Jamesbo - I would note the old man how his son is running the business he build. Letting him know is just the right thing to do in my opinion. The son could learn something from following talk.

I agree or just let Karma take care of things. That's the rub.

One of the [many] problems is the son doesn't have the ***** to speak to anyone, the secretary/gatekeeper puts me on hold, asks what to say, and then gives me the bad news, I hope the witch finds a good street corner when she looses her job from the son ruining the business his dad built for 30 years

we like to say "Whatever goes around comes around"
Old March 11th, 2018, 04:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Last day of the brier! Should be an exciting 1-2 game.

Jim, yeah karma is also a beach. I wouldn't bother with them anymore and move on to something new like what Mike was saying.

Mike, I don't really have a choice about Windows 10. It comes with that OS. I guess I'll just have to learn to adapt. Interesting about the insurance companies lack of reward to loyal customers. Well, they aren't getting their Christmas bonus from me this year.

Jouni, there are higher minimum standards for auto insurance here. Eg: min coverage for autos is 1,000,000.00 PL/PD/Comp. I'm paying about double what you are right now with the new company. By comparison, full antique insurance on the cutlass only costs $215/yr. in another year and a half my son will qualify for a slight discount when he turns 25. Till then the insurance company feels he's higher risk even though he's not. They lump everyone into a statistical pool and that basically disqualifies the good drivers from bad ones. Not a fair system IMO. It should be based on individual performance with qualifying discounts as reward for good driving/no claims.

DST sure sucks. I have to get adjusted to this bs hour change. They should just leave time management to a single time and be done with it.

Enjoy your sabbath.
Old March 11th, 2018, 06:17 AM

Good Morning all, I got 4 free tickets to the Monster Jam at Ford Field in Detroit. I wish I hadn't went, even with free tickets. Cost $40.00 to park in the ramp, $6.25 for a hot dog $5.00 for a bottled water $10.50 for a draft beer. I had never been to anything like it since the early 80's. It was all hype, geared toward pre teen kids. I took my grandson who is 13 and I really don't think he liked it much. We got there at about 4 and went to the pit party which was basically just a way to sell their merchandise. Then nothing to do from 5:15 to 7:00 when the show started. There was some excitement to the show, lots of carnage. Got out at 10:00 the traffic jam with complete stop for about 40 min. Then take every one home. Finally got it bed at 1:00 am. Oh yeah I ended up throwing away my jack knife because I couldn't get in with it.... Well it was a experience.
Old March 11th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain. It's supposed to let up this afternoon, however it looks like it's here for awhile.

Love love DST. Dark in the mornings and light at night. It would be neat living in Alaska, where it's light/dark the whole day, well except for it being cold.

Headed to Awful house. Gonna be inside stuff today. Good day to curl up and watch Seinfeld reruns. Have a good day everyone.
Old March 11th, 2018, 06:37 AM

Mawn'in

Like Mike said, Elsie's here

Insted of going to the Awful House I just fixed me a big bowl of grits with butter and chopped up country ham

Speaking of ham, Allan, someone on this forum from the frozen north said, Canadians don't call Canadian bacon, Canadian bacon True?

I'm taking ya'll advice, Building up resentment is like drinking rat poison and waiting for the rat to die

Have a great day Olds friends

And when ya figure out WTF time it is PLEASE let me know
Old March 11th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, true and false. You talking about regular or back bacon? We don't attach a national claim to the title but we love to eat it just like everyone whos not vegan or Muslim. Some peeps call it Canadian, but they're a minority. I think it's called that in USA though. Oh, it's the friggen wrong time.....
Old March 11th, 2018, 09:47 AM

Evening.

Spend a day at garage, got my fuel-pump and filter bracket complete, both of them installed to bracket, and bracket to car. And usual time-spending where you get nothing done.

Mike - We also have mid-summer and mid-winter through-out the clock either light or dark. It really is neat on my opinion too- nothing like working through the clock when daylight just refuse to go out, and then its Morning again

Jamesbo - Clock is 06.47pm now. Helped?

Okay, have a day all
Old March 11th, 2018, 02:06 PM

Spent yesterday at the wastewater treatment center, yep sewage. 11,000 acres to roam and try and get pics of birds, I think that the snow owls are done for the year, with them heading back to the arctic now that the worst of winter is done. I got one fair pic of a red tail hawk, and a couple of pics of more common birds, a sea gull, and a morning dove. With the hawk I was at 600mm with the lens, as he was about 200 feet away, which means I need a tele-converter, with a 1.4X, or a 2.0X magnification, for more power, and better detail for the pic. I will go again and hope for a chance to get pics of a Bald or Golden eagle, as both are know to frequent that facility, along with Osprey.
Old March 11th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Always room for one more

Greg how did they know you were carrying a pocket knife, did you have to go through airport style security, or a pat-down? I would imagine that 99% of people that go to Monster Jam would have at least a pocket knife.

Still rain. Haven't done a thing all day except nap. Pitiful.

I always say we have Canadian bacon in Australia. Evidently the top of regular bacon is square and that's the part the Australians eat, not the strips. It does look just like Canadian bacon. I get scolded for saying it, just part of my western ways I guess.

Okay see ya.
Old March 11th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Always room for one more

Dan that must be a rare bird at the waste treatment center.
Old March 11th, 2018, 04:01 PM

LOL. alright Mike, it would kick up a lot of ****.
Old March 12th, 2018, 04:04 AM

yep raining

Greg, that reminds me of the story of the guy who was going in the baseball stadium and they took away his pen knife. Course it was "Bat day" and they were giving away baseball bats

Not that drunk fans with baseball bats would hurt a flea

have a great day Olds friends
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Today is the day I take the old computer in for its migration. Should have the new one up and running tomorrow.

Coolish here this am. Won't get as warm as yesterday either.

I don't think peeps that look at the crib for sale next door are that impressed with it. Yesterday only 2 tire kickers. One was there for less than a minute..... Even with a $20k price drop the PO had some weird taste in colors and flooring that seems to scare em away.

I don't bother with the monster jam events when they come here. I did get an umbrella confiscated at the airport one time. I don't know why it's considered a dangerous weapon though.

Enjoy your day.
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:34 AM

Mike. it was a walk thru thing like at a airport "please empty your pockets and your cell phone into the tray" I wish I would have left it in my pocket because my belt buckle didn't set it off. I actually forgot it was there. Oh well it was a cheap one. Dan, the wife and I saw a snow owl earlier this winter on a power pole- stopped the car and looked at it quite a while, Very impressive!
Old March 12th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Cold and windy. I don't know why I left out for Awful house without a jacket. It was cold in the building and cold outside. I'm still cold even though it's warm in the house.

Jamesbo that's like making the employees go through security to fly out when we have access to everything anyway.

Gonna get everything ready for my trip today. Not sure what time I want to leave tomorrow, the flight to LA that gets in at 430 looks better than the next one, but I don't want to sit around out there for 6 hours with nothing to do. Wish my buddy still lived out there, I'd go early and spend the day.

Well gonna get to it. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old March 12th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Afternoon.

So, now my Mondeo is officially a van Easy. Not much done today, hanged out at our companys machinery while welded what inspector required to convert it.

1969w3155 - So picturing birds is your hobby?

Jamesbo - Someone could wonder "wth"....

Okay, heating sauna up, then im gonna enjoy two big beers. Sounds like a plan for me.
Tomorrow at home, and at humpday to garage to draw my fuel-lines.

Have a day all!
Old March 12th, 2018, 08:39 AM

Jouni, I would put cars first as a hobby, but I really like getting out to take pics of nature in general, something that I haven't done in a long time. I always have a camera with me when I go to car shows. I enjoyed being outside for a couple of hours on Saturday, though I didn't get pics of what I wanted. I just have to make it out on a more frequent basis.