The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old February 25th, 2018, 02:42 PM

I caught the end of the mens's curling on a replay yesterday, in the 8th end, now I just have to figure out how they score, and why the other team sweeps the opponents stone at the end of a game, but not earlier...well I have four years to get that done. Johnny Olds, are you going to keep your new 442 the same color, or go back to original at some point? Greg, did the Olds Museum get flooded? I know that they are in a flood plain, hopefully they came through unscathed. I did see where the water was coming up @ Badgley's (probably spelled wrong) garage.
Old February 25th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, scoring is relatively easy. The rocks closest the the center (button) are the ones that count. So in the 8th end when Shuster had Hammer (last shot) and took out Sweden's rocks, they are left with 5 counters. If he had missed, he wouldn't have counted more than 2.
Sweeping another teams rock is only permitted to the other team once the rock passes the center line of the house (concentric rings). This creates the opportunity to sweep them out of scoring or to put them far enough back to create backing for their own shot. Rocks at the back of the house are less desirable than rocks at the front which can be promoted. Does that help?
Sweepers either use eye coordination, or combination of eye and precision timing to know where the rock may end up. Good sweepers can "drag" a rock a good 10' beyond where it would normally stop. Everything's dependent on the thrower, line call, ice conditions, and rock conditions. Sounds complicated but not really any more difficult than learning to drive in all weather.
Old February 25th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well my weekend is over. Leaving for home pretty early in the morning so I can get home and get tires put on one of the cars. Got my intended painting done and it does look nice, if I do say so myself.

We've had a good visit. Tiger has had lots of treats, and not surprisingly hasn't eaten very much of his own food. Got a few little things done while waiting for paint to dry and saw the (local) family.

I know we were supposed to have rain at some point this weekend, we've had a little rain here and there at Mom's but it's actually been pretty nice.

Welcome Greg. Looks like you have a couple of nice cars. I'll be right there retired with you in, um, a few years.

Well, see you guys tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by slantflat; February 25th, 2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old February 25th, 2018, 07:36 PM

Thanks Allan, it does help.
Old February 25th, 2018, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
not really any more difficult than learning to drive in all weather.
Wanna come clean my keyboard? Coffee all over of it
That comment was hilarious

But Morning for everyone, its monday. Olympics are over - what now?
Hmm.. F1 season starting soon! Räikkönen probably on his last year on Ferrari.
Tomorrow it promises colder, peeking under -13F at nights. Atleast on forecasts.

But, have a nice week everyone. I head to get more coffee->
Old February 26th, 2018, 04:47 AM

Morning, I don't think the REOlds museum got flooded, though I'm not sure why. There was a news story about the impression 5 museum which is right next door to it and it didn't flood. However, I'll bet Badgley's was a different story. I didn't see any pictures of that but the gas station that is just south of them probably had 3 ft of water. My house is right in the flood plain, about 1 mile south of the Maple river. We got water up into the yard but not up to the house or buildings. I have no basement, just crawl space, it would never work here. It's supposed to be in the 50's here today and tomorrow. Nice..
Old February 26th, 2018, 05:29 AM

Mawn'in

No smacking whitey today

Like a cow on a flat rock

Greg, Welcome to the asylum

I still don't understand curling but I guess I'm with Dan, I don't have ta worry about it for a while

Mike, How come Tiger gets to go to moms but not the mountains

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 26th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Looks like a quiet day shaping up.

Jouni, ah I see you may have tried curling? First rule is ditch coffe for beers. You'd like that...

Jim, 4 years ta educate ya.....

Mike, Sounds like a good visit. Safe travels home.

Have a good day everyone.
Old February 26th, 2018, 08:51 AM

Just got off of the phone with Old Cars Weekly, trying to get a refund after waiting a month for two calendars to arrive, this was after contacting them a week and a half ago to find out where my order was, and then being assured that I would receive them last week. Didn't happen. warm weather here, supposed to be 50-ish for the next two days.
Old February 26th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, after waiting that long they should not only refund you, but still deliver the calendars. Now that you've contacted them again, want to bet they arrive in the mail today? I'd love to have some of that 50ish weather here for a couple days.
Old February 26th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Just dropping this, laughing my *** off
They are already making fun on our media about "Beast of the East" D
" Brutal -15c ( 5F) winds"
Nothing personal LondonCutlass! Was just surprised to see this daily mirrors front-page posted to our own medias

Last edited by Inline; February 26th, 2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old February 26th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni, I can't believe that's for real. It's quite common for us to have -20°C overnight with 20-40 km/hr winds making it feel like -35° or colder. And what kind of advice does the news provide? Bundle up and plug in the car. Business as usual.....

When it gets to -40°C it's the exact same as -40°F but it doesn't stop us. Probably the same as in Finland?
Old February 26th, 2018, 12:29 PM

Yup, if its -40 its -40, people just think theres really cold, but nothing more. No hoarding of foods, fuels etc. Some guys might not show up to work due to cars not starting, but nothing more serious. Schools, shops, fuel stations, post etc all work as usual.
Ive been out of work twice for this reason, before i swapped to asfaltwork. No complaints from bosses.

To be fair to LondonCutlass, if it once a summer gets up to +30c /86F here, they are yelling there about killer-heat

Last edited by Inline; February 26th, 2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old February 26th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Most Canadians don't mind +30°C. I'm not one of them however. Those are the days I love my garage which is almost always 18°C. It's also why I had Central AC installed. I'll never buy a car that doesn't have AC either. I had thought about retrofitting the 72 with AC but it's way too much work and would cost a fortune.
Old February 26th, 2018, 02:28 PM

All right all right I admit that we do go slightly over the top when it comes to unusual weather. We are just not used to the extremes.
We did have snow today and it felt damn cold but we are supposed to have a load of snow overnight which means the whole country will grind to a halt. Stop laughing Canada and Finland but that's the way we do things here!
At least you know what I said about stupid newspaper headlines. Tomorrow's will be just as daft!

Hopefully I will be able to post in the morning unless I'm frozen solid. That would make a good headline.
Old February 26th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

London, were not laughing at you. We're laughing at the concept that -15°C is considered to be extreme. Heck, even Clint and Dan get colder temps than Londonistan. Jim on the other hand might agree with ya though.
Old February 26th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Uneventful trip home today, and got home in plenty of time to hit the tire store. Tiger was glad to get home to his yard where he promptly ran around and chased squirrels.

Tiger doesn't get to go to da hills because he isn't invited. I doubt he'd be a very nice houseguest will all those cats.

I can remember plenty of times when I was a kid the winter weather being -50 with a -80 windchill. They would say on the news don't go outside with contacts in or they'll freeze to your eyes.

So the guys at the tire store just looked at my car when I came in . They are all young and I'm sure have never seen such a vehicle. Add to that it was covered in a thin layer of moss and you could hardly see out the side windows. Eh, I don't care. I can drive it anywhere now and as soon as it warms up for good will give it a good bath.

Had a nice visit with Mom but glad to be home. I won't get anything done this week because I go back to work tomorrow. That will make next weekend busy.

Okay have a good night everyone. I'll be up late, so I can sleep late and not be a zombie tomorrow night.
Old February 27th, 2018, 04:57 AM

Mawn'in

Colder but clear

Mike, Which car are you referring to?

I'm gonna send Tiger an engraved invitation

Allan, Maybe spoon feed me info a little at a time

London, Sounds jes like Atlanta during a snow fall

GTG

Old February 27th, 2018, 05:21 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Nothing changed. dad goes in for his final Stent tomorrow. then they'll replace the Atrial valve later.

Have a day.
Old February 27th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Spoda be pleasant today (33*F) . Gotta hit the motor vehicles registry to get the tags renewed. There's no notification any more like the old days, the stupid gubment here stopped that 2 years ago to save money. Wonder how many cars are running around with expired tags.....

Jim, can do. Prolly too early to start now. At least I know what most of the whack whitey terms mean, even though I don't whack the lil guy any more. Mebbe you can sprize me wit some I don't.

Clint, hope everything goes well with your dads surgery.

Mike, moss? Really? Picture, I think we're all curious about that now.

I'll be glad when the construction around here finally stops. Stupid heavy machinery rumbling and beeping every morning starting at 7:00 I'm sure just to upset everyone cuz they stop running it after everyone leaves for work. Bunch a jerks. Unfortunately it's all within the legality of city bylaws so nothing can be done.
Old February 27th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Prayers for a good outcome, Clint.

Slept all day today, got up, heck, it was after 2. Haven't done a thing, just play with Tiger.

Sun has been out, but it's a little coolish. Didn't get to 60 but isn't supposed to be too cold tonight.

That's an odd construction schedule Allan. Work two hours in the morning then stop for the day. I would guess someone unpopular lives in your neighborhood.

Jamesbo it's the green Cutlass with a white roof. I've owned it a couple years, but didn't ever drive it because the tires were from 1993 and I didn't have a spare. Still don't have a spare but the tires are brand new. Gonna clean it up and drive it regularly. It makes me feel like I'm in high school again.

The car doesn't have moss like on a tree, it's like what forms on vinyl siding. Thin green muck that smears when you try to wipe it off. It's probably more like mildew.

Okay all four this week, starting tonight. I could use a few days without the typical office drama. Not sure that's possible.

Have a good night everyone.
Old February 27th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Hey Mike, I don't know why exactly, but I've been thinking a lot about my mom who passed in 2/2015, Make sure you spend as much time with her as you can.

Last edited by Greg Rogers; February 27th, 2018 at 05:10 PM. Reason: oops
Old February 27th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike they don't quit after 2 hours, they just turn off the machinery and then pound away all day with hammers.

Went to the vehicle registry today and duh! I had the old insurance. Quick trip back home to get the right ones and back to the registry. 5 minutes later and $253.00 later all 3 tags are good for the next year. I like the morning at the registry because it's almost never busy. In/out ezpz.
Old February 27th, 2018, 10:56 PM

Uh Mike, did you take the green moss-mobile through the car wash on the way home?
Old February 28th, 2018, 03:23 AM

Allan, Jouni HTF do you live in the freezer all winter. It's minus 7C with 4 inches of snow and it feels like the end of the world. Just don't know how you do it. My toes feel like they are about to drop off and that's with thermal socks and boots on.
Old February 28th, 2018, 04:55 AM

A good friend stopped by yesterday and wanted me to go with him to look at a couple old trucks in a back yard. On the way we went to 2 salvage yards. Talk about muddy! Well the old farm where the trucks were was near to a old bar we went to years ago called Hoovers Corner. A couple fellas were out in the back yard and we got to look at the trucks (53-55 Fords). Of course after looking at them we went to Hoovers for a burger and a beer. After 2 big drafts there we went to another tavern in Bannister, Mi. where my buddy ran into an old Army buddy. More beer was consumed.... Finally got back home about 7. A good day, but I'm feeling a little foggy this morning.
Old February 28th, 2018, 06:14 AM

mawn'in

Misting and dank

Well my Norhtland fridge in the mountains has quit a-gain. The service people put in a new compressor between Thanksgiving and Christmas, then it had a Freon leak [form poor instillation] Now they're telling me the Freon leak may be in the cabinet and the pipes are covered with blown in insulation and it can't be repaired.

Since I don't have alot of faith in this yahoo company I tried to call some others. The 1st one told me " Yes" that's possible' but the second one told me Norhtland's don't have any pipes in the cabinets, they only have 2 holes in the top of air to circulate.

I'm so confused, I don't know which way to turn
Old February 28th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Heading out to curling in about 45 minutes.

London, -7C is a pleasant morning. By coincidence that's what the temp is here this morning too, only we have a lot more than 4" of snow on the ground. I guess we're more used to it than you are. Sorry to hear you're having a tough slog with the Beast from the east.

Greg, sounds like you had a good day. Fog should burn off by noon

Ok, GTG. Enjoy your day.
Old February 28th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Evening.

Spend this day travelling. Dropped my crap to machinist, 2,5 hour drive one-way, and visited grandmother since she was on the way. Now back at home.
Heating sauna. Was pretty refreshing weather at Morning.

LondonCutlass - Were used to it, i quess nothing more. Here it was -26 at Morning, and wind blowing. We have about 14" of snow, been for like over month. Havent snowed since any measurable amount

Jamesbo - Sounds really mystical. I would still steer away from those yahoo's, be they right or not

Greg Rogers - Well, sounds you had a great day!

Hmm.. Im off to sauna-> I quess it takes one beer and quality cocgnac to get in the mood..
Old February 28th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice out, it rained after I got home this morning but before I went to bed. Odd. Been cloudy all day but a little warm. Hope that's it for the rain.

Hope Clint's dad did okay today.

Dan I'm gonna give the Cutlass a good going over this weekend. There's a few little things it needs and I'll plan for some bigger ones. Just really happy to have the new tires so I can drive it and not worry about a blowout.

Jamesbo it sounds like it's time for a new fridge. Even if it's fairly new it ain't worth the hassle. Nor is it worth it going out when you're not there and all your food goes bad.

Greg I see my Mom about once a month. All of her quirks are a good source of entertainment for my sister and me, but the bottom line is she's a damn good woman and would do anything for me. So sorry yours isn't still around. There isn't anyone quite like Mom.

Oh London. See my comments about -50.

Okay late getting going to work. Hope everyone had a good hump day. Have a good night everyone.
Old March 1st, 2018, 05:06 AM

Good Morning, Beautiful day yesterday, worked on truck and actually opened garage doors, Sunny- wow like spring. But, today sposta get 4-6 " snow. More down around Detroit. Hopefully it's all over and plowed by Friday. Going to Cobo Hall for the Autorama Friday afternoon. That's a good time...
Old March 1st, 2018, 05:24 AM

Mawn'in

New fridge shopping.

The things cost more than my 1st car

Old March 1st, 2018, 05:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Yesterday didn't fare well at curling, but the good thing is we came in second. (Curlers joke)

Reviewing home and auto insurance. Rate increases up the Wazoo. I called and asked for an explanation. It was like talking to a sidewalk. Absolutely nothing they said made any sense. I started calling around and got some immediate quotes that were significantly better so it appears we'll be changing our insurance company after 15 years. Too bad they decided to be jackasses.

London, our forecast is for 25 cm of snow next couple days and overnight lows of about -16C. And guess which way it's coming from? Yeah, the East....

Jim, nuthin is cheap anymore. When the heck did you buy your first car? A decent fridge fer de hills shouldn't cost all that much ??? You look at any discount places yet?

Mike, enjoy driving it. Doesn't have to be a show queen to still get the nod of approval from other motorists,
Old March 1st, 2018, 05:40 AM

Allan 1966 Austin Healey 3000
Old March 1st, 2018, 07:29 AM

Mike. -50, are you sure you're not part penguin!

So the Beast from the East is still salvaging these fair shores. I had to close my schools today as my water pipes had frozen in the kitchen.
You guys must be a lot harder than me. I don't know how much more of this I can take. I might have to book a trip somewhere nice and warm.
Old March 1st, 2018, 07:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

London, this is for you....
Did you ever wonder why there are no dead penguins on the ice in Antarctica – where do they go?

Wonder no more ! ! !

It is a known fact that the penguin is a very ritualistic bird which lives an extremely ordered and complex life.

The penguin is very committed to its family and will mate for life, as well as maintaining a form of compassionate contact with its offspring throughout its life.

If a penguin is found dead on the ice surface, other members of the family and social circle have been known to dig holes in the ice, using their vestigial wings and beaks, until the hole is deep enough for the dead bird to be rolled into and buried.

The male penguins then gather in a circle Around the fresh grave and sing

“Freeze a jolly good fellow,Freeze a jolly good fellow.”

“Then they kick him in the ice hole.”

You really didn’t believe that I know anything about penguins, did you?
Old March 1st, 2018, 08:52 AM

Allan, Allan, Allan. Well, that was my laugh for the day. London, it's because it's what we have lived with all of our lives. I deal with the cold fairly well, but put me down south with Jim in the summer, and I am dying, too much heat, just not use to it.
Old March 1st, 2018, 11:14 AM
CQR

Afternoon all.

Dad's procedure was delayed and so I wasn't able to bring him home last night. I want and picked him up before work this morning. He seemed fiery and cranky. So I guess all is well. Now he has stents in 3 arteries. and in a couple weeks they'll put in a new valve.

Have a day.
Old March 1st, 2018, 11:28 AM

Hi

Evening everyone. Just a regular day here, nothing exciting. Well, priest visited since naming is at coming saturday.

CQR - Hope all goes well with your dad

Allan R - They promise snow there too after a long while without fresh snow

Okay, have a day all.
Old March 1st, 2018, 02:59 PM

Allan, I must admit, when I started to read that, I thought, wow he’s been busy researching penguins. Funny!

Any bets on the name of Jouni’s son?

Search this Thread