The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2018, 04:15 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Have a Friday
Old January 12th, 2018, 04:56 AM

Afternoon.

Eh, seems like i forgot to write here at Morning. Its weekend for most soon. Whats up everyone? I got my package from Summit, finally. And was awarded with an rebate of 1% from the order, ie. 20 bucks Lol.
Neighbour is soon also new, 15th day they have to move, and new ones come in. Alot of things happening currently. Got door-handles to basement doors finally, and installed them. Pretty cool ones, bought old wrought-iron door-handles from ebay.

Clear and refreshing outside Gonna do food, and then hit the hospital so see wife and kid.
Have a great day everyone!
Old January 12th, 2018, 05:58 AM

mawn'in

Like a cow on a flat rock

London, Travel question? I got a note from a dear friend [lady] that went to grammar school, high school and college with. Her parents were like second parent to me when I was a pup.

Anywho, she now lives out west New Mexico and has a friend that wrote a book about WW II and they are thinking about going to Germany in the fall. She ask me what I knew about it and I said, NOTHING, I've been to Normandy, Bastogne, and Arhnem but never to Germany.

Is there anything left to see in Germany regarding WW II or was most of it flattened?

Inline, I am celebrating 68 years of being vertical { My Birthday]

Dan, FB gets hard to follow sometimes. Is Adrian thinking of moving to the frozen north or jes vacationing?

Mike, Did your guidance include what kind of cars to buy?

Have a Great day

IMHO this is funnny

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...b&action=click

GTG having a VERY wet funeral then headed norte
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:34 AM

Jim, I believe that Adrian is thinking of moving there. Allan may have more insight on that. 56° yesterday, 23° at the moment, ahh winter in Michigan.
Old January 12th, 2018, 12:32 PM

Jamesbo, there are several sites worth visiting from the **** era in Germany that I know of. Colditz castle is worth a visit as is the Eagles nest.
There are still a couple of concentration camps open to the public if they have the stomach for it, particularly Dachau.
There is the Jewish memorial in Berlin and the plaza in Nuremberg is a protected site.
I’m sure there are others but these are the ones I remember.
Old January 12th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Friday. I believe I deserve the weekend. Hope it's a good one.

Jamesbo this guy drives a Honda. I doubt he'd be very receptive to my kind of car guidance.

I'd love to go to Germany some time and see the touristy things, and also some WWII stuff. I heard part of Hitler's bunker is still there, under the parking lot of some office building. Don't know if you can go in it, though.

So today is my first car's 47th birthday. I bought this car in 1984, it was my first car and drove it my senior year of high school, and many years after that. It is now rusted and smashed flat, but it isn't going anywhere. Someday I'll get to it. Yup, someday.

Went to the Awful house just now and also went to the bank. It's been a long week and I thought Tiger would like to get out because it's Friday. Not sure he'd turn down a trip to the Awful house.

Well I'm ready to go, might as well go. A few extra minutes in his room isn't going to hurt Tiger. Gonna be cold and I think rainy all weekend, so it will be inside stuff for us.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:52 PM

Good Morning. Saturday it is.

Jamesbo - To top whats already mentioned, theres one preserved bunker from Siefgried line left, Besseringen B-Werk.
Actually, here in Finland we have memorial/ cemetery to German/ ****-soldiers too, pretty near of our capital. I quess its not speaken about too much to avoid questions, but there it stands. Theres another one too, at north Finland, Norvajärvi. Both were taken to use at 1963. World is pretty different, depending where you look at it.

Not going to do much today, just be inside and watch tv? Refreshing outside
Had to turn more heat to bedroom when i noticed it was only 59F up there last evening
Old January 13th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Been cold here last few days. Today is Spoda warm up to around -4 or so. Next week we might even see + temps for the first time in a long while.

Dan and Jim, yes Adrian does plan on making the move from oz to Canada in the next 2-3 years. His vacation was to see a Canadian winter and also scope out potential property. He and the girls seem to be especially enjoying the snow and cold. They're braver than most taking an rv vacation in the cold. I don't think the rv was designed or intended for use in -30 type temps.

Wow, gas has really shot up here a lot. In Jan 2016 I was paying .64/L. Now we're paying 1.15/L and there doesn't seem to be any reason except greed by big oil.
Old January 13th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I hate computers. Might stop in later, right now Awful house. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old January 13th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Always room for one more

So this morning I had most of my post going and the computer decided to go tango uniform. It's been doing that since pretty much out of the box. The people at Worst Buy said there's nothing they can do. The best computer I ever had was a Pentium II that was built by some back alley shop with dial up.

Been colder than a witch's behind here today, but the wind has died down a little. This afternoon I was trying to disassemble a Corvair motor that's been sitting out in the yard for years. Got a few parts off but I need to flip it over and I can't do that by myself. Of course it doesn't help that it's full of water.

I admire Adrian and his family for wanting to pick up and move to a new country, one with such a different climate than what they're used to. I'd be interested to know why Canada, and not the States or Europe for that matter. I hope they realize that spending a couple weeks playing in the cold and snow is far different than putting up with the cold and snow for months.

Guess I'll build a fire and settle in for the evening. Sposed to be a little warmer tomorrow so I might try for the junkyard. We'll see. Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 14th, 2018, 06:33 AM

Afternoon all, or good morning if that’s better,
Recovery day today! Had a bit of a mishap yesterday. I was at work doing a few odd jobs around the nursery and I had to climb a step ladder, the ladder actually snapped in half whilst I was on top and I fell and hurt my knee and hip. Even the wife is doing the cooking today so it must be bad.

So Jouni don’t keep us in suspense, what’s your new boys name?

Mike, I’m with you, I hate computers, nowadays I only use my iPad.

Allan, our gas has also risen lately, I think it’s about £1.23 a litre, lucky I dont pay for mine, my company covers all my fuel with my work truck and when I’m filling up one of the others the guys at my local gas station put it to my trucks registration number.

Yet another gray day but not too cold around 38 but we are supposed to get a couple of winter storms next week, snow??? I’m probably one of the only people on this thread who would love to see some snow.
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:36 AM

Hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's Jamesbo

Back from de frozen Hills.

enjoy what's left of the weekend Olds friends
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out but cold as a mother. Oh it's cold in the house, too. Went out to reset the rollout switch and it rolled out again the first time it lit off. I'm going over to the shop in a minute and when I get back the stove is getting heated up.

Rest easy London, that doesn't sound like it felt good. Never saw a ladder do that, though I'm not up on one very often. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of heights but I'm not real thrilled with the idea.

Didn't realize Monday is a holiday. Milk Day. I need to run down to Summit, Monday will be a week that my gas tank has been on order and no sign of it. I guess when shipping is free they aren't in a hurry.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:09 AM

Evening.

Little guy got home today. Not much else happened or done today. Didnt even heat sauna

LondonCutlass - Telling the name before christening brings bad luck, so i was told

Allan R - Welcome to the world where gas aint free. Just wait and soon you see only friends at road and can wave to all of them

Welcome back Jamesbo.

Have a good new week everyone, when it starts.
Old January 15th, 2018, 03:47 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Tis Monday. Spose to snow today. then single digits tonight (Fahrenheit)

Back to the grind.
Old January 15th, 2018, 05:52 AM

mawn'in

Ground frozen solid

As luck would have it, I think the HVAC blend door actuator is FUBAR in my Cheby truck.

Clint, Would a BIG F Hammer help at all?

Naturally, this is the day I need to repair tire tracks and a grave where sum Yahoo got in a big hurry to leave a funeral and got stuck up to the floor boards driving over a fresh grave. Ya really can't fix stupid

Jouni, Here in the USA we can gamble by buying and picking squares. I vote everyone send me a hundred bucks for a square and I'll run the pool on what your son's name.

I'm gonna vote for Weber

London, I don't do heights either. That's why I married a lady 6' barefoot. She's great at changing light bulbs and rebounds We call those old wooden ladders "Widow Makers"

Mike, Do you really still own your very 1st car? Boy I wish I did. Have you checked your computer for too much Aweful House grease? Maybe let Tiger lick the hard drive.

Have a great day Olds friends

Allan, How are things?
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Weather report for inside the house is a crisp 48* . Outside it's 27. Feels the same either way. Hope the AC guy is working today.

Jamesbo I really do have my first car. Drove it for years, set it aside when something bigger and better came along, it quit running right and a tree fell on it. But it's here for the duration. The next longest car I have is #4, my Grandmother gave me that car in 1987. That car for sure is here for the duration.

I spoke with Scot a little while yesterday. He's still moving golf carts around. He gave me some pointers on the furnace. Nice to talk with him.

Well I got the space heater going so we'll be up to summer temps in here, around summer. If it gets up to 49 I might do something outside. And if it don't, then I'm going back to bed. Sheesh. I moved away from this $hit years ago, but it follows me.

Have a good Monday everyone.
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Evening.

Was a nice day, wifes parents and sister visited today. They did bring good food

Jamesbo - Are you really telling someone managed to drive over open grave? WTF?????? I can only imagine such scenario...
About name, first, i want to live ( ), and second, i thought would wife notice anything if we name him Ransom Eli... Im considering myself very lucky to have still 2 months of vacation left- we have a good deal, wife nurses the child, and i nurse the wife

slantflat - 48F inside Wow.. Thats cold!

Tomorrow i FINALLY go to garage. Not too much to do, but something. Strip the block ready for machinery. Clean the threads, inspect parts etc.

Have a day everyone.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:25 AM

Jouni,

No the grave wasn't open, but it had just been closed with no marker so the dirt was very soft
Old January 15th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hola eets Monday...

Jim, check your messages on messenger.

Jouni, I think you misunderstood. Gas here has never been really cheap. I was noting a comparison from when oil tanked from over $100/bbl to around $40. Now that it's barely around $60/bbl the prices are upwards of what they were before the tank. I know European gas is more, but that's likely due to politics and production. Glad I'm not paying $2.24/L but parts of Canada are getting close. Want cheap gas? Visit USA.

Mike you should ask Adrian that question. I already know what he'll say, but I'm not the messenger.

Clint, yup.

London, wanna send some of your free gas to Jouni and me?
Old January 15th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Always room for one more

Just pondering out lout Allan. Adrian's a smart man, he knows what he's doing.

As for the cheep gas in the US, sure it's cheeper here than most places but 2.45 a gallon stings a little when you remember sub $1 prices. My company bought their own oil refinery and it cut the price of our jet fuel almost in half. Now a couple years later they are still whining about high fuel costs. That has to be political.

Jamesbo what was the guy doing driving through the lawn anyway? So I guess you could say he had one wheel in the grave?

AC guy can't come till tomorrow morning, so it's another night of teeth chattering in the house. Tiger usually likes to get up in the middle of the night to go out, but when it's this cold in here he stays put.

Kind of a disappointing trip to the junkyard today. Nothing to write home about. I feel like I didn't get my dollar's worth as there were 5 or 6 rows that were taken out and not redone.

Okay see ya. Have a good night. I don't know if I should stay up late for work tomorrow or go to bed early and get up early, and sleep after the guy is here. Hm.
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike I remember when gas was 25¢/ gallon for regular and 27¢/gallon for premium. I could fill the 67 for less than $5.00 Now $5.00 buys just a little more than a gallon, but not much.
Old January 16th, 2018, 12:22 AM

Morning.

Heating firceplace. Then ill do some porridge, and go to garage. Refreshing outside

Allan R - That was just a "throw" without any other meaning People living near our eastern border buy gas from Russia, its next to free there also, atleast compared to us.

Jamesbo - Ah, okay. You just shattered images on my head

Hmm.. Tuesday i think. Have a day all.
Old January 16th, 2018, 04:48 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, It may improve morale some. At least for me. At least til they slap the cuffs on.

Well it's right about nothing degrees right now. Looks like winter has finally arrived. Ugh.

Have a day.
Old January 16th, 2018, 05:38 AM

mawn'in

Spose ta snow dis afternoon

Maybe I should explain more

The cemetery has 4 sections. 3 above the road and one below

When one of these poor kids OD's they always have the largest crowds. In this case 100 plus cars [the most we've ever had was 350 ]

I'm the self appointed parking director.What I "Try" to do is let the family park closest and save a few spots for anyone with older or handicapped requirements.

BUT when a big crowd comes and it's raining, it's hard for me to be two places at once.

Usually people pull right of the gravel drive and stop and back up on the drive to leave. In /out simple enough.

But Friday the road parking was full so some Yahoo went to the end and turned down the hill. That would be fine "IF" when he left he stayed close to where he parked but he turned "WAY' out into the lower cemetery section. Ran over the grave with his 2 front wheels and then got the two rear wheels buried. Naturally it was one of those plastic cars with not place to hook a chain

I decided to let his buddies worry about it after I examined the front end buried in the mud. They hooked 2 4X4 trucks to this wheel and pulled him out. From where I stood it looked like he needed a few inner fender and front wheel.

Really the worst part of the whole thing is the tire marks the 4X4's left in the cemetery can't be repaired w/o new grass [spring] We added more dirt to the grave and ya can't tell anything ever happened.

Clint, Sorry my friend I don't comprende.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 16th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning all

Chilly start to the day at -15. Gotta go get my teeth cleaned today in another 2 hours. Yesterday my blood work got done and the results were very good. I'm happy with it but there's still a bit of room for improvement.

Jouni, there's always regional disparity when it comes to gas pricing. You probably compensate with higher wages? I vote your sons name to be either Valvecover or Muffler Bearing Good to hear everything is going well.

Clint, wth? Cuffs for what? Ya mean possibly quading in de graveyard?

De boy is eating us out of all the chicken in the freezer. Wish his hollow leg was a little less hollow at times.

I enjoyed the Continental Cup of Curling last week. North America won by .5 points on a shoot out draw to the button. World really came from behind on the last day skins games. Thomas Ulsrud must be feeling horrible with his draw that went almost through the rings. He's a fantastic player and has brought a lot of excitement and flair to the game.
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

AC guy is coming today. I decided to go to bed early, and the plan was to get up early and run some errands, but of course it was colder than ice water in the house and Tiger was all cuddled up and I said the heck with it. But now we're ready for the guy and I hope he can fix us up and not break the bank.

I'm trying to get Friday off so it's a little easier to go to my Mom's. After several months of not doing anything to the house, I need to get busy. Next up is painting the brown bedroom, light green.

Anyhoo it's Monday and I'll sleep a little this afternoon and then struggle through the night. Only 17 more years until retirement.

Have a good day everyone. See you's all before work.
Old January 16th, 2018, 02:48 PM

Evening all

So, I’m slowly recovering from my little mishap with my ladder. I’ve still got some bruising to my ribs and my knee is still a bit puffy but I will live to fight another day.

My boys just told me his fancy bit from Dearborne is coming over to stay for a week next month. Hmm not sure about that.

Mike, 17 more years of toil, rather you than me!

Still waiting for winter to arrive here, it’s a bit chilly but that’s all

Tomorrow off to my building site to discuss the garden walls, not interesting. Thursday I start work on building my new nursery unit. Busy busy.
Old January 16th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Always room for one more

Well the AC guy couldn't fix the damn thing. He even brought an "expert" and he couldn't fix it. But they did recreate the problem(flames coming out the front) and they are coming back tomorrow to replace burners and run a boroscope up through the passages. Whatever. I said, I'll be sleeping.

So another night of 40s in the house. I was concerned about Tiger but I think I'll leave him in my room tonight, so he can get up on the bed where it's warm. Yes I know dogs don't get cold, dogs have a fur coat, yada yada, that's what I'm doing. Now, if he chews on anything then it's outside the next night.

Ran a couple errands after the guys left, hit the Awful house for an early dinner, then back home and slept a couple hours. I guess I feel okay, we'll see how tonight goes if I get too tired I'll find a hiding spot and have a nap.

London I know, right? And, if I were you it would be longer because I think you're younger than me. I need some rich aunt to croak and leave me loaded.

Okay off to work for my Monday. Car needs gas so that will be the excitement of the evening. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old January 17th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Lovely, just lovely. Freezing rain for the morning commute. This should be fun....
Old January 17th, 2018, 05:16 AM

mawn'in

Maybe and inch of snow and temps in the teens. most of the state is shut down.

Mike, Ya might wanta get another dog [like a Saint Bernard] or get the heat fixed or of course get a fat girl to keep you warm

Allan, Jouni

What kind of shoes boot do you wear in the snow? Jes curious

Stay warn and have a great day Olds friends
Old January 17th, 2018, 05:29 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo and Allan, The law frowns upon taking your frustrations out with a blunt object (hammer) on the help.

Dad goes in to have some stents installed next week. not sure when the missus goes in for her shoulders yet, but I assume we'll hear this week.

Mike, I got lots of firewood if you need it. the wife wants it out of there cuz she believes thats where the rats were hiding out. BTW no signs of ANY rat activity since she fed them all that CO2.

Have a day all.
Old January 17th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Not much going on here. Had the snowblower picked up for repair $$$. Gonna get my ears lowered so I can really feel the cold air. I saw the meteor streak over last night while sitting in the break room at work, waited for a boom, but never heard one, others in the state did though. Apparently registered as a 2.0 earthquake on the Richter scale.
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Evening.

Off from sauna. Snowed whole day. Yesterday completetely disassembled my former engine, now choosing best parts from my 2 engines.

1969w3155 - Meteor streak? Must have been cool to see it!

LondonCutlass - Good youre recovering. You wanna borrow some snow?

Jamesbo - I can see how youre calling me liar now Im wearing these through the year, absolutely best shoe for my foot, and comfortable, be it summer or winter. No idea what they are called, so i attached a photo. And no, i dont have cold on my feet.

Only when ice fishing i use rubber-boots.

Okay, got to go, been busy doing small repairs here and there on our house.
Have a day.
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:11 AM

Jouni, Doesn't the snow come over the sides?

I'm doing some mechanical werk today. Put a rear end in a recliner
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Heck Jouni, I thought that you would be wearing muk luks.
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:46 AM

No it doesnt, jeans stop snow, and they are tight. At max socks are sometimes a bit wet but they dry fast.
What are you guys wearing then?
Old January 17th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, what Jouni said. Except when it gets really cold and deep snow I like my Sorels.

Jouni, I also use insulated rubber boots for ice fishing. I used to out a plastic bag between the Sorel liner and out shell, but it's not a great deterrent for cold.

Have fun building your frankenmotor.
Old January 17th, 2018, 12:54 PM

Jouni, I gave up stores years go. If it doesn't come from L.L. Bean, I don't wear it
Old January 17th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Not much to report today.
Got all of my jobs out the way and it’s not been too stressful, apart from 8 staff not turning up for work!

Jouni, I would love to have a bit of your snow. It’s happening in the north of the UK but not where I am. It’s still in the mid 40s here but feeling colder today with a northerly wind.

Must admit I don’t own any winter footwear. I’m still with my Adidas trainers all year round.

Mike, officially it’s 15 years till I can pick up my pension from the state, but in theory I could retire anytime, though I’ve a feeling I will still be working till the day I croak, after all I have to keep the kids in the lifestyle they enjoy, heaven forbid if they had to get off their **** and earn a proper living!