The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2017, 06:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

I'm running a little late and have to get ready for curling. So, hop in the shower, bite to eat and warm up the car. It's freezing outside at -30 so it needs some time to warm up. Catch up later.

Good to see y'all back safe and sound.
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:37 AM

Well, got a little snow in the last couple of days, about 7", but I can't complain 'cuz I ain't in Erie PA., the poor bastards! five feet of snow! Now that's lake effect. Christmas Eve went good at my nephew's place, but Christmas day, never made it to my brothers house, as I picked up a bug somewhere along the way. I get a flu shot every year, and rarely get sick, but this kicked my ****. Spent the day going between the sofa and the throne room.
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:45 AM

Smile glad to be here

just bought this 1967 beauty from a 2nd owner who had it in his garage for the last 12 years. his dad willed it to him when he passed. 65K orig miles. very like the 1966 my grandfather gave us when he passed. my brothers and i learned how to drive in this car.
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:59 AM

Smile another view

trying to get my posts in. 1967 cutlass 4 dr. post. 66K original miles. super clean. flawless interior except crack in drivers seat. dash no cracks. headliner very nice. no dents, just a couple of scratches.
Old December 27th, 2017, 10:09 AM

Question questions

So, the only things that are not stock are dual exhaust, wheels and tires and a CD player in a custom console on the floor (easily removable). Opinions on the exhaust tips?
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got heat in the house! Called a guy that was recommended to me and he came out this afternoon. Got things squared away, didn't charge too much, told me to call him in the spring to come out and clean the coils, etc. Now there are no icicles hanging from Tiger's ears.

Welcome One Buddy. Love the 67s. Four doors are not universally loved but I like them. What's your build date?

Dan hope you feel better soon. Being sick and shoveling snow don't really go together.

Time to hit the road. It's the first night back. Short week again so that ain't bad. Now to get rid of this rain and have it warm up a little and we'll be all set. Hope everyone has a good Hump Evening.
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Always room for one more

Oh the exhaust tips. They look okay, I like them tucked under a little more, but they are nice the way they are. I wouldn't back into a parking space with the concrete bumpers, or they might get tweeked. Also they aren't even. Just sayin' .

But I like that car. I like the 67s. I like the 4 doors. I like gold. I like the rally's. On a Chev

What part of town are you in?
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Some call me, Tim

G'morning ladies and gents!
Old December 28th, 2017, 05:21 AM

mawn'in

Chili but dryer

Welcome to the asylum Tim and One Buddy I almost bought a red 69 drop top around the corner from me but some yahoo had put a big dent in the top ot the sides of the rear deck trying to put a tree in the trunk or something equally stupid

Welcome home Mike, I'm sure Tiger appreciates the heat.

Dan, I'd stay in bed and drink bourbon with honey and lemon. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Allan, I printed out your curling explanations and taped them to the wall. Now I'll know WTF you're talking about

Clint, I jes heard my boy is retiring, If ya need a bossy lieutenant Coronal to tell you what to do all day. He's gonna be looking for a job out there.
I think there's gonna be alot of adjustment to the civilian world.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 28th, 2017, 06:31 AM

Afternoon.

Welcome Tim75 and one buddy.

Havent done literally nothing today. Thats good, just as i wanted.

Nice car, one buddy. Me too like 4drs. Havent ever really catched the "thing" on 2dr's. Even i have one.

Jamesbo - Tell him to come to our Company, they are looking foreman currently

Okay, have a day all.
Old December 28th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Some call me, Tim

Thanks fellas. No motivation essentially all week. Luckily, we're in a freeze, so not much "work" to actually do
Old December 28th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,
Looks like 2 new fellas joined the fold. Welcome Tim and Good buddy.

I'm surprising my son today with a delayed Christmas present. The Malibu has a cracked windshield so today while he's at work I'm taking the spare keys and having a new windshield installed. Pretty decent price at $180 tax in. I expected more.

Just finished making a couple omelette score us. He had ham, green onjun and cheese. I had mushroom and green onjun. Twas delish.

Jim, you'd need more than that to really understand the game but it'll probably get ya by. There's a lot more complexity to the game than that. Want some more references? I didn't think so. Congrats to your son on his retirement. He prolly is used to a heftier income with his rank than what an ordinary job pays.

Jouni, when is your wife's due date? I imagine you guys are getting a bit excited. I didn't know wimmen could go in the sauna whilst they were preggers.

One buddy, nice Towne Sedan. I learned to drive on the exact model. Personally I'd shorten up the exhaust tips. I think they look too overstated that far out. Our 67 was deep water blue and looked spectacular in the sun. Did you find the valve covers and air cleaner yet?

Mike, welcome back. Sounds like the visit was a great success.

Dan, get well soon. Jims solution sounds like a decent plan.

Tim, nice 69. Enjoy the downtime, it won't last and then you'll wish it had.

Hmmm, the trash guy is right on schedule. Recycle guy already been and went. I guess the Christmas stuff isn't slowing them down. I wouldn't want their job, it's -21 here right now and Spoda be colder later.

Last edited by Allan R; December 29th, 2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:22 PM

Allan R - Actually i had to ask from my wife. Its 6th of jan. I though it was somewhere around year's change. Not that excited. Relatives are more excited than us, which really dont please neither of us.. For us, "its just life".

You can go to sauna always, even drunk - or pregnant. If you ever visit Finland, you must go to proper sauna!

Temps hovering around zero here, and snowing every now and then. Not that many days to new year.

Last edited by Inline; December 29th, 2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:19 PM
CQR

Afternoon all.

Welcome to the fray Tim and One Buddy.

One Buddy, I have similar tips on mine. they are ok but I'm with mike they need to be up closer to the bumper.

Jamesbo, thanks for the offer, but I already have a wife to fill that position.

Have a day all.
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:37 PM

Evening all

Had a fun day today. The daughter surprised us for Christmas with tickets to a West End show so we’ve been in Central London watching Motown the musical, pretty good singalong. While we were there we stopped for a nice lunch of Spanish tapas.

Welcome to our two new contributors, remember that you have to post at least a couple of times a week or the oldies get a bit twitchy!

Allan, how can you survive living in a freezer, sounds like you need to move 800 miles south.

Nice bright day today but a bit colder, mid 40s, still no sign of any snow here though.
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Woke up with a killer headache this afternoon. Took one Tylenol PM and went back to bed. That usually won't hardly touch a headache but I'll probably feel the effects of it all night.

Welcome Tim. That's a nice looking car. Has the back seat been restored?

London the actual rule(per Jamesbo) is daily contribution. Although my feeling is sort of like getting out early at work. Take what you can get.

Work? Did okay last night, out around 4. Had the miserable lead, who we thought was banned from our crew. The foreman wasn't there so maybe that's why. He was fairly mellow. Two of three tonight, not feeling it. I could call in pretty easily but it's a bit late.

Been about 40 all day. Not sure what it's supposed to be tonight, probably 30s. Funny, in the summer the fight about trucks at work is which one has a good radio. In the winter it's which one has heat.

Okay happy Thursday night everyone. Hope all is well.
Old December 29th, 2017, 12:07 AM

Morning. Lazy day ahead, once agaain. Please, could the work start again? -Just joking!

My items from Summit has been backordered after backorder... Ordered 6th of dec, havent left yet. Of course its not their fault, but i could move forward if i would get those parts. Now i wont have too much to do.

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
remember that you have to post at least a couple of times a week or the oldies get a bit twitchy!
LOL! You made my Morning

Okay, have a good day everyone
Old December 29th, 2017, 05:29 AM

mawn'in

Chili but dry

Inline you're having a heat wave compared to the upper USA

Mike, When I ran my property management office, I would arrive sum mawn'in with secretaries at each others throat about who parked in whose parking space. In order to be PC, I think ya need a few females on your crew to scratch each other's eyes out over the heater or the radio

Allan, Tanks fer the offer but I think I'll jes stick with "Curling 101" Advaced Curling or even basic Curling would not be of a whole lot of use in the south. If you'd like, I could try to get you up to speed on "Noodling 101"

Headed Norte, see ya in a few,

Have a great Day olds friends

Old December 29th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Brrrr, it's -32 here this mawnin. With light wind feels more like -35 Definitely not a day anyone wants to spend more time outside than they have to.

Jim, I nose about noodlin. I prefer ta catch my fish wit a rod and reel though. Not a fan of stickin my arm into a big catfishes mah. Up here we don't have catfish, Jess fishes wit sharp teeth. Tanks, but no tanks. Safe travels on yer way up Norte.

Jouni, don't get bored that quick. There's plenty of other things on the car you could start doing nut and bolt restoration on. Twitch....

Mike, right now any vehicle up here without a good heater is what we'd call scrap iron. Good to hear you got the heat going in the house.

London, really? Twitch twitch

Only a month and I'm on my way to sunny warm Meheeko for a spell. Looking forward to the Caribbean and the fantastic hospitality at the resort we've been going to. I know de missus will enjoy the time away because it means no house chores.

Takin a page outta Jims book. Now dat I've done nothin I gotta take some time an rest up. Have a good Friday.
Old December 29th, 2017, 06:02 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike, I always liked the non CS rear bumpers and reverse lights better than the CS.

One Buddy, If I can get ahold of some Drag mags, I have a set of SSII's that would look real good on the sedan.

Jamesbo, what field of work did the boy do in the service?

Inline, congrats on the bun in the oven.

Allan, My trash company has me fit to be tied. The truck showed up later than usual last thursday, he backed onto the lot, sat there for a few minutes, then pulled out and left without emptying the Dumpster. I was like "WTH?" I called and the rep said he noted a safety issue and said they would be out the next day. Again a no show. Fast forward to yesterday and again a no show, I called and they said due to the holiday they are running a day behind. They are supposed to pick up today and I hope they do. the dumpster is now heaped about 3-4' above the top. It's gonna be a chore to empty now. I told them if they don't show before 5 I'll pull it out from behind my gate and leave it on the highway for them to pick up, and they can just take the dumpster with them. I've had with Waste Management.

Have a weekend all. Whats everyone gonna toast the new year in with?

Last 'work' day of the year.
Old December 29th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Clint, that really sucks. Wth kind of "safety" issue was noted is what I'd ask. Waste Management has a similar rep up here. Hope they show today.

We're celebrating with a bottle of ice wine. Seems pretty appropriate considering our temps.
Old December 29th, 2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by CQR

Jamesbo, what field of work did the boy do in the service?

Clint, Infantry, Airborne Ranger but in Iraq and Afghanistan they ride around in Hummers and or Bradley's. When he was a kid in High school he drove my 69 442 drop top. He could change points and set timing etc. But when he got to be an Officers [they don't werk for a living] he musta forget everything.

Once during a field exercise [in your neck of the woods, ] his hummer broke down and who ever was towing it forgot [or didn't know] that sumthing had to be unhooked before towing. The sucker caught on fire during towing and burn up the Lieutenant Coronal's ruck sack with all his clothes and personal items. He had to live in the field in one pair of clothes for a week.

I'm fairly certain the motor pool had a few job openings cause he was PI$$ED big time
Old December 29th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yesterday when I went to pick up the Malibu at my sons work I was dismayed to see the right rear tire was close to flat. Only way that could happen is if he picked up a nail. I limped it over to the tire warehouse and they topped it up so I could take it down the block for its new windshield.

The windshield place was sloooowwwwer than molasses in January. But they got it out by 12:30. I had called Costco from the windshield place and secured a 1:30 appointment to get the tire fixed. It's a shame because these tires only have 300 miles on them.

Costco got r done in 15 minutes. There was a screw in the tread area. They dismounted the tire, patched it from inside and remounted/balanced and filled with nitrogen all as part of their service warranty on the tires. (Insert shameless plug for Costco here....) when I arrived at Costco they were starving for business in the tire shop so that's prolly why the fast service? Anywho, after doing a bit of shopping I noticed quite the lineup of peeps at the tire center and heard the counter saying the wait time was now anywhere from 30-90 minutes because they had released 2 techs early because business had been slow.

There must be a providence, booking the windshield appointment for the same day the car tire goes flat? My boy would likely have driven it without checking and ruined the tire. The car doesn't have TPMS.

Oh yeah, looking out through the new front glass is really nice!
Old December 29th, 2017, 09:36 AM

Evening all

Daily report.

Spent the day shopping, I needed a new air fryer. The wife has decided to do a dinner party tomorrow evening for six of our friends and wants to do a Spanish night.
She even said that she wants to do the cooking. I’ve confirmed with our local fire dept that they will be available!

So everyone’s complaining about their refuse pick ups, not me. Ours are great. Always on time, never moan if you leave out too much and are always courteous and even better, it’s provided free of charge by our council. The only time I have to pay is with my business collections.

Allan, you must be looking forward to getting out of the freezer when you go to meheeco.
We are off to Bolivia around Easter time. Not for a holiday but to help out a friend who’s sitting up an orphanage out there.
Old December 29th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Waste Management...uh yeah. I have no use for their customer service. Allan, wave when you fly over on your way to the Caribbean. For us Northerners, here's winter fun for all to enjoy. I drove through there about 30 minutes after it was cleaned up on Tuesday. http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/i...cene_on_u.html
Old December 29th, 2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Waste Management...uh yeah. I have no use for their customer service. Allan, wave when you fly over on your way to the Caribbean. For us Northerners, here's winter fun for all to enjoy. I drove through there about 30 minutes after it was cleaned up on Tuesday. http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/i...cene_on_u.html
Sorry, laughed my *** off. Normal winter weather and thats the result? WTF??? For real?
Old December 29th, 2017, 11:33 AM
CQR

Allan, the driver claimed black ice. Duh. it's winter and my parking lot is flat. So I guess that means I'll only get serviced when the weather cooperates? They picked up the trash today. kinda. knocked over stuff that was near the dumpster and didn't take everything but almost. Ugh, I gotta quit thinking about it. It's not worth the headache.

Here's a fun one locally here from a few years ago.

Caution may have language.
Old December 29th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Clint. I needed something to wake me up and that was hilarious. I had to watch it a few times. I think the Benny Hill music could make a funeral funny.

Gonna get ready and run a couple errands and then take Tiger to the Awful house. That seems to be a Friday thing. Last night was good, a little frustrating but we got through it.

Catch up a little later.
Old December 29th, 2017, 12:36 PM

Jouni, we have poor drivers training here, and even worse drivers, zero skill or common sense. Clint, as soon as I saw Benny Hill in the title, I knew that it would be good. We had 9.3" of snow in the last 24 hours, and another 7"+ predicted, so the bad driving school will continue.
Old December 29th, 2017, 01:07 PM

Saw video from a co worker on facebook, they just had a bigger pile up in the same spot about an hour ago. Time to order a pizza and watch football bowl games.
Old December 29th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi again.

Spent over an hour at the Awful house, thought I was going to be late getting ready. Nope right on time.

Dan that snow is enough to send me into convulsions. Good idea staying in. You feeling any better?

Watched Clint's video a few more times. That music never gets old.

I once drove a Suburban(that I still have actually) that got a screw in a tire at least once a month. Or at work it would be rivets. The tires had so many plugs in them. It was like the tires were magnets. Very unnerving.

Okay Friday. Hoping for an early evening, so's I can get lots done tomorrow. I've lollygagged the past few weekends now I need to get something done. Can't go into the new year a bum.

Have a good evening everyone and a great weekend. Two more then we get the dates wrong on our checks.
Old December 29th, 2017, 05:34 PM

Doing much better Mike, thanks.
Old December 30th, 2017, 04:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Colder than a witches heart here this mawnin at -33. I might have to go out later so the cars plugged in.

Dan, there may be some issues with the Malibu power steering after all. Yesterday it quit working but came back after the car was restarted. Maybe that electric PS has the same issues as computers? I called the dealer and they booked an appointment for next Tuesday. It's not on warranty but they said if the tech can duplicate the problem (hahaha, in a heated shop) the diagnosis and repair is covered by gm. This problem only showed up in subzero temp, and what's even stranger is it seems to be related to the e brake.

London, yes I'll not miss the cold. I wasn't complaining about our trash collection, I complained about the high cost @over $50/month. It seems like you get a lot of free services where you are, must be nice. How's the tax structure there? Is it the source of all the free services?

Clint, that sounds like total bs. If anything the truck would be even more secure with that weight of the dumpster on the forks. They should have stopped and picked up those motorcycles parked in the crosswalk.

Well the furnace has kicked into high gear. Soon it will be toasty warm. Menu for today is leftovers from the turkey I cooked yesterday.

Stay warm and safe everyone.
Old December 30th, 2017, 07:05 AM

Allan, this might not be exact but it’s pretty much like this.
First £12k income is tax free, 12k-44k is 20%, 44k-150k is 40% and 150+ is 50%
We also pay 12.5% national insurance which cover all our doctors and healthcare and also our pension.
On property it is banded depending on the value of your property it ranges from about £900 per year for a small pad up to around £3500 for a mansion. This pays for schools, council services and the emergency services.
On my business it’s much more expensive. We have to make an extra national insurance premium on every salary and pay corporation tax on any profits we make. We also have to provide extra pension for all, but it’s the business rates that hurt the most. Last year I paid nearly £300k on my four properties. Hope that makes sense.

And you wonder why I’m a veggie.
Old December 30th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Did pretty well last night, got out around 330. I was surprised because we had the miserable lead. Eh, I'll take it.

London I believe you've beat Clint.

Sunny here but chilly. Think I'll go work at the shop today.

Allan this girl in stores last night said she was glad she wasn't doing my job because of how cold it was outside(it was 30). I said, where I come from it gets to -50 with a worse wind chill. I thought she was going to fall off her chair.

Well, Awful house first then the shop. Have a good one, everyone.
Old December 30th, 2017, 10:07 AM

And you wonder why I’m a veggie.
LOL. A downside to this snow is build up on the roof, might have to get the snow rake out tomorrow, that'll be fun.
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well lightning strikes again. When my son left for work this morning at o dark thirty I guess he didn't check that the garage door didn't close. I got a phone call from a neighbor asking if I knew it was open. Nope.

I checked and sure enough. I pressed the wall control and it wouldn't close. Dang!! I dug out the owners manual and read the trouble shoot section before going out into the freezing air. Somehow the sensors had gone out of alignment and it took almost 15 minutes of fiddling to get them lined up right. Darn near froze my fingers. Tested and it works fine again. I think I should consider replacing it soon though because it's almost 20 years old.

London, your tax system is more complicated than ours. Fortunately I don't have such a high bracket to pay into.

Mike, IIRC weren't you born in Alaska? I know it gets buggerishly cold there. I had to laugh when you said it was 30 overnight and she thought that was cold. We were at -28F here without windchill. Cold enough to freeze the ***** off a brass monkey. From the sounds of it, keep getting the miserable leads and you'll be off work early every shift.

Waiting to see if the PS problem on the Malibu comes back today. Only difference is today the car is plugged in.
Old December 30th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Always room for one more

Alaska? Close. I'm from Moline, Illinois. Actually the hospital that I was born in was in Rock Island, right next door. Less than trivial to a Canadian, Rock Island is where a young lawyer named Abraham Lincoln tried a case where a riverboat intentionally rammed a drawbridge. The drawbridge lost against the boat but won the lawsuit. And of course Moline is home to John Deere and what used to be Montgomery Elevator.

If I was any more disorganized I couldn't move. I went to the shop thinking I'd do a few things, and got little done. I couldn't do this because I needed to do that. I couldn't do that because I needed something else. Everything depended on something else and none of it I was prepared for. So I cleaned up a little and came home. Sheesh.

Dan in all the years I lived in Illinois I never had to shovel the roof. I'm glad of that.
Old December 30th, 2017, 01:15 PM

Allan, I was born in Alaska, my dad's side of the family homesteaded up there in '38. I can't tell much more than what my parents had to say about it though, as I was about 5 months old when they move to the "lower 48". It is warmer there now then when they were up there (my dad, 16 years, and my mom, 9 years). My mom talked about it being 40-50°F below zero as the norm in the winter there, you don't see that as much. She always kidded that -20° was a heatwave. One year the North-South streets froze 10' down, freezing up the water mains, but the East-West still were working, so she packed water from the neighbors.
Old December 30th, 2017, 10:56 PM

Morning.

Last day of the year. What yore gonna do? Good food, sauna, few beers and few rockets here ( my eyes bleed blood when my wife shoots my money on the sky, thats my take for rockets ).

Allan R - Happy times with garage door, eh?

Sounds like LondonCutlass live in the same country as i, promised heaven of taxes
Im paying about 36% taxes from my income...

Anyways, have a good last day of the year, may next year be even better for all of us!