The *NEW* Good Morning Thread! - Page 577 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:59 AM   #23041

Good day guys!

Cold, rainy and misty. What a boring weather.......
Gonna smoke some salmon for food.

Was surfing through ebay, and couldnt resist when a set of NoS M/T valve covers came up from listing. Not sure do i even use them, but i can atleast decorate my house with em

Whats up everyone else?
Inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 08:30 AM   #23042
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I don't know what's up with this fog, but it sure is foggy this morning in the Greater Stockbridge Area. It's starting to burn off but it's after 10? Headlights needed on the way to Awful house this morning.

So I got a new fire extinguisher in the mail. I had seen in several places that Kidde fire extinguishers were being recalled, up to 40 years old, because the handles are plastic and might break when you used it, and not work when you need it to. So I went to their website and put in all the numbers to the f-e I had in the kitchen, and lo and behold a few weeks later here is a new one, and all they asked was I send them back the old one. Sent a shipping label and everything. Can't beat that.

Today's fun includes putting the new wipers on the Tigermobile, and getting some gas and trying to fire up the chipper-shredder. Didn't sleep worth a tinker's damn last night so I gotta keep moving. If not I'll be like a shark, I'll sink to the bottom.

Have a good Sunday everyone.
slantflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 01:47 PM   #23043
Just an Olds Guy

Sunday Sunday,

Got some of the baseboards bradded back in place. Air nailer works really well and takes a lot less time. Also less potential damage to the wood. The baseboards are finished in natural oak, and I have some wood filler that matches to fill in the brad divets. (if that's what they are called) I'm now thinking seriously about putting crown molding in some of the rooms to give it that nicer finished elegant look. I need lessons on how to do that first.

Jouni, smoked salmon sounds wonderful. Cooler here than there. Started off the morning at -13. It's warmed up now to -5 and that's about it for the high today. Do you get TSN in Finland? Check out the curling if you have a chance. Love to join ya for a beer, what kind is your favorite?

London, sounds like you have your hands full with projects. Good luck with that. btw? 2L's and 2A's

Jim, yer perfeck attendance is goin out da winder. Gonna have to give the WERM award to Jouni now.... used to be either you or Clint were always the first outta bed and on here.

Allan R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 05:10 AM   #23044
CQR

Mornin all.

Windy today. Had another really nice weekend The missus hurt her shoulder on Friday, so we didn't go riding. but we got some more painting done and oiled the wood beading ceiling on the porch.Getting closer all the time. but still have a ways to go.

Have a day all.
CQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #23045

mawn'in

A mite foggy but I'm gonna go smack whitey anywho

Clint, I love the beadboard, I've go it on my porch also

So, busy busy gotta go this afternoon to the annual meeting of the Buckhead Boys in honor of one my high school alumni James Dickey

Have a great day Olds friends
Jamesbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #23046

Afternoon.

Back from work. Was a easy day.

Allan R - No TSN here. Dont know would they show it somewhere on other sport-channels, but (un)fortunately we dont have any payable channels on our household. I watch tv maybe 50 hours per year. Wife looks aloooot more, but havent had any need to get more channels than whats available now.
Beer? Lager for sure. Nothing beats good, cold lager-beer
Favourites are Karhu ( local) and Ozujsko ( Croatian).

Whats up everyone else?
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:58 AM   #23047
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,
When I pulled the stove out to do baseboards I found what the tile installers covered up. Needless to say they will be returning to fix sloppy workmanship. Did they honestly think I wouldn't notice? I told them I would be installing baseboards after painting and I guess they thought what I couldn't see doesn't matter. Wrong.

Jouni, I have no idea who would provide coverage in Europe. Also never heard of those lagers.... I'm sure they taste good. I can use my garage as a giant beer fridge

Jim, I figger something like 47/45 today because of the humidity. You always seem to do better on the back 9 for some reason.

Clint, hope Lynne gets better soon. No fun having shoulder injuries. How many squares did you end up ordering?
Old December 4th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #23048
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice out, a little chilly.

Jamesbo why didn't that guy mention you in his speech?

Didn't get squat done yesterday, so I gotta make up for it today. This weekend seemed extra short for some reason.

Was a little late to the Awful house this morning, nothing going on there worth writing home about.

Okay time to get to it. Have a good day everyone.
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #23049

Aint they pretty? NOS, never assembled, unpunched, no mounting holes cracked, as usually when you see these for sale. Even baffles inside the valve covers are included in their original pack. And most importantly, they are shipped!

If nothing else, those end to my garage wall

Allan R - I tend to use my basement or cold veranda as beer fridge
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #23050

Inline, the valve covers look good. Does your car have the 10 bolt hole valve covers or the 5 that came on later models? You may have to be careful applying a little sealant if you have the latter, to make sure that they don't leak.
1969w3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:59 AM   #23051

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantflat View Post
Jmesbo why didn't that guy mention you in his speech?
Because, he's a generation ahead of me.

Allan, Felll apart of the back arguing [via text] with my stupid Dr. god neighbor over green space.

44/48 AND I know better than to argue with a woman and or a doctor /woman
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #23052

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969w3155 View Post
Inline, the valve covers look good. Does your car have the 10 bolt hole valve covers or the 5 that came on later models? You may have to be careful applying a little sealant if you have the latter, to make sure that they don't leak.
If my memory serves me correct, both my 8 and 7a heads are drilled for 10 bolts. Then theres even the chance of buying alum. heads. But nonetheless, thanks for tip!

Head-choice is still under debate. Something pervert draws me towards irons, even if they would end up costing same as new alums
Theres something that dont make me all that excited about stuffing the engine-bay full of latest chinesium. Since the truth is, even if i would be building 455, with the money the engine-build takes, i can just walk on a car-sale and get a car which turns circles around my Cutlass and is way faster, with less money. Id rather make it resemble original look, minus intake.

One thing irritating me also is, that they ( sellers) always make the same statement: no use to repair your original heads, since at the end, my cheap chinesiums cost the same!! Why everything has to be brand new & latest?
Damn, im starting to sound paint & chalk-mark guy

Last edited by Inline; December 4th, 2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #23053
Just an Olds Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline View Post
One thing irritating me also is, that they ( sellers) always make the same statement: no use to repair your original heads, since at the end, my cheap chinesiums cost the same!! Why everything has to be brand new & latest?
Depending on the damage to the head they could be right. Also if they have to mill the heads excessively you'd need specialty gaskets to retain the same compression. Most of the newer heads have better valve seats and can be ordered with optimal size valves for performance. Maybe I'm just reading into that, but that's my take. New aluminum intakes definitely give better bang for the buck over the stock iron ones. Aluminum blocks are a real weight saver. That's why they've gone that route. Better control over the casting and machining too. Not everything made in China is crap, but that's where the cheap costs to manufacture are.
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:22 AM   #23054
CQR

Mornin. Running late today.

Have a Toosday.
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:33 AM   #23055

mawn'in

Already slapped a new battery into the super models Trail Blazer [the ultimate get away car]

She's gonna drive it until the wheels fall 0of and only [as needed] put gas in the POS

Allan, When you're thinking about crown molding installation. Ya need to figure everything upside down for all the mitres to come out right. Sometime it's eaiser to use several pieces than one large piece. BTW you ability with wood puddy will come in handy hanging straight cuts in a house that isn't perfectly straight

I'm decide that life's too short to even bother following city politics much less discussing with anyone. They're gonna do WTF they want to regardless of how many people are opposed to it. In their latest round of stupidity, they're buying a golf course to convert to a green space and "Claim" they are gonna offset sum of the cost by selling sod. Anyone need sum used sod full of weeds

have a great day Olds friends
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:40 AM   #23056
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,
Everything got fixed to our satisfaction yesterday. I really am disappointed there had to be 4 return visits to get it done right. They won't be getting any referrals from us.

Cleaned the Malibu yesterday. The previous owner wasn't as particular about cleanliness. All the bright reveals needed to be cleaned and polished. Maguires Plastix worked like a charm. I sprayed down the engine with ZEP orange citrus degreaser and then pressure washed it. Came out looking like new. I just have a few touch up spots to clean on the upholstery and it will look pretty much like new.

Roar of the rings continues today. Some interesting upsets yesterday, and some teams I don't like fluked off wins. They musta been arguing with Jim via texts.....

Enjoy your day.
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:46 AM   #23057
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, now de missus says no to royal moldings...... Yup, good tip on the cutting, they also need to be made with a compound mitre saw to get the right angle and cope. Arguing with city politicians? You'd have better luck teaching a tree to bark.....
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #23058

This has been one of those day, Do ya think I'l go blind if I watch the chip/penguin YouTube 40 times
Old December 5th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #23059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
Depending on the damage to the head they could be right. Also if they have to mill the heads excessively you'd need specialty gaskets to retain the same compression. Most of the newer heads have better valve seats and can be ordered with optimal size valves for performance. Maybe I'm just reading into that, but that's my take. New aluminum intakes definitely give better bang for the buck over the stock iron ones. Aluminum blocks are a real weight saver. That's why they've gone that route. Better control over the casting and machining too. Not everything made in China is crap, but that's where the cheap costs to manufacture are.
Ah, i see i expressed myself unclearly. I indeed agree that new alum.heads are for sure superior to old irons in every way i quess.
What i was trying to say was somewhere along the lines "
seems like everytime something new pops up with a possible market, that in turn turns everything old "junk" in a split-second".
And thats what i dont agree or like. Heck, they worked for what, 50 years? And now all of suddenly they are junk.

I couldnt believe how much that iron intake weights. Lol almost broke my back lifting it from engine-bay

Btw, good to hear you got all sorted out on your renowation.

And good evening folks! Tomorrow is free from work, since its our intependence day, actually 100th intependence day! Prepared good traditional stew for tomorrow, done already, goes to fireplace overnight to get done!
Then Morning sauna, and beer....
Tho thursday is work ( maybe.. if it rains too much, then not.. hope it rains aloooooot of snow )

Jamesbo - Id like to get some used sod

Have a day everyone
Old December 5th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #23060

When I did the mouldings (coving, in English) I actually did five separate concentric mouldings in one room that comes out about 12 inches from the ceiling. Makes a nice feature.
LondonCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #23061
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni, no worries. I get what you're saying. To the purists keeping the iron is a must have, nit an option. I'm torn on some of the new performance options available today. Everytime technology mives forward isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Technically it means you should be able to get some parts ridiculously cheap.
You probably already know that aluminum dissipates heat faster too.
I wonder if Olds would have survived today if it had introduced fuel injection and aluminum blocks, ABS, traction control etc first in its early years.
Production standards, quality control and safety features today surpass anything of the past. Restoration of old cars is a hobby for those with deep pockets now, or lots of skills and time on their hands.
Enjoy your stew and day off.
???raining snow??? WTH?
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #23062
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

First day back, and it's going to rain. Well that's apropos. We actually haven't had rain for weeks. Things could use some washing off.

Jamesbo you should buy the country club. Then you could have the penguins playing on every TV. It would be a big expansion for the cemetery. Is the Super Model driving the wheels off the TB by her choice or yours?

My buddy sent me the results of the bid that was going on yesterday. I still keep my Saturday Sunday Monday off, but there were a few shake ups. I'm not worried about it. I'm not going to have to worry about fixing those stupid electric seats with the passengers looking over my shoulder, and the flight crew looking at their watches. Not a good role for me.

Okay gonna get ready for work and take Tiger out in the rain. He doesn't mind stuff like that. Guess what.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old December 5th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #23063
Always room for one more

Oh I forgot to ask. For those of you who don't have jack stands, what's a good brand of floor jack to buy? I was at Northern Tool yesterday and they have their jacks on sale. The two I liked were Ironton and Strongway. Both had 3 or 3 1/2 ton jacks for around 200 give or take. Any experience with either of these brands? There was a Yellow Jacket for a little more that looked nice.

Went out with Tiger. It's raining, I told him to hurry up. He grabs a pine cone and runs around like a maniac. So I came in. He's the one that's going to be uncomfortable in his room tonight, not me.

Okay see ya.
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #23064

Allan, what kind of weather are you sending this way? 'posed to get nasty starting tomorrow, but not a lot of snow in my area. Michigan's U.P. will have 20-24" in a couple of places, but they are way north of here. We had a 30 temperature drop with gusting 40 mph winds, and we'll have snow (lake effect) in the forecast for the next week, plus I see by the computer models, that it's going to take a dip down to Jamesbo's golf course, making it hard to see a golf ball. The back nine will be a pain, I'm guessing.
Old December 6th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #23065

Good Morning.

Heading to heat sauna, will come back later.

Just sayin -

Old December 6th, 2017, 06:03 AM   #23066
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike, I've never used the Daytona, but I have a FJ300. it works well I guess.
https://www.biztimes.com/2017/indust...oor-jack-case/

The wifes bruising is finally starting to surface on her arm. sounds like she was kind of hard on it yesterday at work. But she still has good motion. SHe's been spending lots of time in the hot tub trying to keep it loosened up.

First cold week here. gonna have another day in the 30's I can say I'm really ready for spring .

Have a humpday.
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:11 AM   #23067

mawn'in

Got chili and spose to stay that way

Mike, I got enough to look after w/o owning a golf course. It's kinda like restaurants, I know which side of the bar to sit on and when I pay and walk out the door, It's someone else's problem

I think NAPA's were less than 175 on sale I'm beginning to be a big fan of theirs, "Ya get what ya pay for it you're lucky"

Inline, Does your sauna burn 24/7 or do you have to relite it every day?

London, Glad you're feeling more better, That's what I was trying to describe to Allan about step up crown moldings. But you're much clearer

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 6th, 2017, 07:16 AM   #23068
Just an Olds Guy

Goog morning

Costco emailed that the tires arrived. Install tomorrow ar 1:00. By coincidence they're now on sale for $70 off so that takes them down to $697. Nice.

It's December 6 already???!! Doesn't feel like it.

Dan, I have no idea. Our weather is coming up from the south west and pushing ours down to you in an omega block I guess.

Clint, wuss.

Jouni, that's funny!

Heading out in about 45 minutes to curling. The PVR is set to catch the RTTR games I'll miss. Time to shower and make myself look purty.

Enjoy your day.
Old December 6th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #23069

Allan, Do Curling teams have sponsors? Ya know like bowling teams of LL baseball
Old December 6th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #23070

Evening.

Nice day its been. Tomorrow is work tho, and friday. Gah.... Not enough snow

Jamesbo - Relit every time. And its at cold outside building, as real saunas are, so at winter the extremes are really big, heating from -22F ( -30c) to ~158F ( 70c).
When its really cold, around -20F, it takes up to 1 1/2 to heat up, even its relatively "small" space.
Uses "some" firewood, but its worth it. Really worth it.

Allan R - Have fun curling!

Okay, now some stew... Its been doing at fireplace for 18 hours, so quess whos gonna soon eat AMAZING traditional stew with boiled potatoes....

Have a day everyone!
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #23071
Just an Olds Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbo View Post
Allan, Do Curling teams have sponsors? Ya know like bowling teams of LL baseball
Absolutely. It's expensive to play the circuit and without sponsors you'd have to come from a deep pockets family. Some of the sponsors are really large like FORD, while others are localized or national corps (things like property maintenance, breweries, CN railway, unions, construction, farming suppliers, financial planners, radio stations and -gulp- gubments to name a few). BTW, what's baseball and bowling?? I heard of Bowling Green Kentucy where the horses run. If they win do they get a baseball??

Quote:
When its really cold, around -20F, it takes up to 1 1/2 to heat up, even its relatively "small" space. Uses "some" firewood, but its worth it. Really worth it.
Isn't your sauna insulated?

Quote:
.... so quess whos gonna soon eat AMAZING traditional stew with boiled potatoes..
Ummm, yer missus?? Mebbe some friends who show up with some beers???
Old December 6th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #23072
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Late getting going this evening, Tiger was only interested in playing outside tonight instead of what he was supposed to be doing. Wait till he grows up and has a job and sees what poor time management skills he has.

Wet, cloudy, and yucky all day. Luckily I slept through most of it. The weather person kept saying snow when I was driving home this morning, I almost ran off the road. This weekend I start packing for Ecuador.

First night of work not so bad, hopefully second night is better. Ah, neighbor just called and said come get some cookies. See ya.
Old December 7th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #23073

Morning all

Weather is a changing. We have storm Caroline descending upon us. 90 mile winds expected in the north and west. They are even saying that London should get a couple of inches of snow on Monday. We haven’t had a good snowy winter since 2010.

Off to the building site this morning to make sure everything is strapped down. As I have a couple of outside walls down I don’t want the wind to come in and pick the roof off.

I now officially hate Christmas. Can’t wait till all the fuss is finished, trouble is the wife is like a kid in a candy store this time of year.
LondonCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:01 AM   #23074
CQR

Mornin all.

London, welcome to the Scrooge house. The wife asks me whats wrong every evening. I tell her the same thing as I told her the night before... I don't like the cold, I don't like the dark, I don't like xmas, I don't... You get the picture. I would guess I'm not a lot of fun to be around right now. It's just hard to always be positive.

Alan, I'll deal with it, I just won't like it.

Mike, Hope it's a good trip.

Inline, Wouldn't it be easier to throw a couple lumps of coal in there to burn all day and keep it a little warm in there?

Xcel energy had an issue yesterday where we lost power for a minute or so. Well it corrupted my shop software. I got it going again temporarily, but it's time to find a new system. So, I've been researching and watching lots of youtube vids on programs, Oh what fun...

Have a day all.
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #23075

mawn'in

Kinda like Pearl Harbor day,There's a little nip in the air.

Me thinks winter [southern winter at least ] has shown up

Allan, Whose your sponsor. Joe's Bail bonds? Ya need to rent the movie "The bad news bears." It's pretty close to U.S. Kids LL baseball

Mike, I made my daily trip to NAPA for some Gator parts and I bet they had 25 different floor jacks on display.

Inline, So what do ya do "Flip a coin" with your wife to see who gets to light it up?

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #23076
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,
Today the Malibu gets its winter shoes. Figures as the temps are going to be around high 30's to low 40s next week or so. I don't care though because I know when it does snow again it'll be a doozy and those without be be all in the ditch or kissing each other's bumpers.

London, the joys of construction. I remember going through that when this house was built. It also was during the Chritmas season. Didn't affect home life at all thank goodness. I was at the job site every day to take pictures of the progress and see where red flags had been issued to stop work till fixed and re inspected.

Clint, I know. Sounds like you have reasons to be upset. Honestly if the weather here was mild all year I wouldn't mind either. We had colder weather back in October and November than now. Strange. Good to hear Lynne is getting better.

Jim, we're sponsored by Trojan, Tampax and Depends.. Y'all can figger that out. Seen that movie long ago.

Jouni, just wondering. How many Finns in your area have outdoor wood burning saunas? If they all fired up around the same time would it look like a forest fire smoke cloud over the neighborhood? I'm guessing that most of the saunas are indoor electric heated?

Remember the fallen, today is the anniversary of sneak attack on Pearl Harbor 76 years ago.

Enjoy your day.
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:50 AM   #23077

Afternoon.

Good folks. Sauna. Heaven on earth. Even Belinda Carlisle singed about it

Traditional sauna ( real sauna) = cold outside building. No, they are not insulated. Considering it gets heated only for short times, it get cold fast again. Less dense walls = better sauna, alot more moister baths, and it dont get too hot, helps at temp.controlling. Soo burning coal would be waste to keep heat up. Best just to let it cool off.
Also, it does not have shower. You heat the water at big cauldron, also heated with firewood, and make your washing water to separate cauldron By mixing hot and cold water to your liking. Then you pour it over you and wash yourself using bucket.
About flipping a coin who has to relight it, unnecessary. I like to lit and heat it, and do firewoods. Wife helps also, usually she keeps adding more firewood to heat it up, after all preparatory work is done ( = splitting firewood, carrying it to sauna-building, filling watercauldron with water, and lighting both saunastove and watercauldron up).
Then when its hot enough to your liking, just enjoy!!!!!
And no, it dont generate that much smoke. Wood burns pretty clearly especially at sauna-stoves due to very high heat, so smoke usually is, and should be, totally without colour. Sometimes of course it pours a cloud of white/ grey smoke on neighbourhood
But noone complains, its like our civil right. And its not different to heating fireplace, they smoke sometimes also.

Really, many guys are surprised and envious to me since i have a wood-heated sauna and even on outside building. Thats really the best sauna possible, you wont find many, if not any, to say otherwise.

Oh yeah, then theres also other saunas. Wood-heated saunas inside your living apartment, and electric saunas inside your apartment. Not aware someones been stupid enough to waste outside sauna with electric stove. Electric stove anyways is same as barbara.. not the real thing, not even close. Just good enough substitute versus not having one at all. But, unfortunately, by numbers, most saunas are inside and electrically heated. Its just easier. Just turn it on and go when its hot. No need to source firewood etc.
Soo, heres the short presentation about sauna
If ever visiting Finland, feel free to come and test mine Theres even beer!

At work it was horrible day. God d****t. Thank god tomorrows friday, and wife leaves for weekend.. Soo, that means sauna at friday and saturday, beer, and just relaxing

Have a day everyone!

Last edited by Inline; December 7th, 2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:56 AM   #23078

London, sounds like it's gonna get breezy over there. We got about 3" of snow overnight, the first significant snowfall of the year, so the noon news will show all of the fender benders, due to idiots forgetting how to drive in it. I have one more xmas gift to buy , then I'm done, half online, half in store. Online shopping makes it more tolerable, less likely to want to strangle someone!
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #23079
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Oh shoot see ya.
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #23080
Just an Olds Guy

The new winter tires are installed. They are extremely quiet. I'm impressed that it only took 20 minutes from drop off to finished and out the door. Took it for a hiway drive and it's perfectly balanced too. Shameless plug for Costco.