The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2017, 10:37 AM

Yes, And he's got the lift [some assembly required}
Old November 27th, 2017, 11:24 AM

Evening all

Well, the wife didn't win her category but she was the runner up. I suppose 2nd out of 500 isn't too bad.

Princess Meghan WTF. Look what happened the last time an English Prince married an American.

Picked up a bug at the weekend which has knocked me off my feet.
Weather today. Don't know. I've been in bed all day.
Old November 27th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Always room for one more

Yes Dan that was sarcasm. In high school auto shop we had an air powered bumper jack. That thing went up so fast the bumper would slip off the lugs and the car would fall back onto the ground. The teacher told us if we used it on an old car the rusted bumper bolts would break and the car would fall on us.

Poor London. You can't shake being sick. Perhaps it's actually the thought of us diluting the gene pool. I'm sure Mrs. London was plenty pleased.

My shop is on a small fly-in community. The building itself used to be the hangar for the previous owner's airplane. It's a nice big place but the roof is held up by those pre-built trusses and there isn't enough height for a lift.
Old November 27th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Sarcasm right?. I have a floor jack that goes to 21" of lift, plenty of local stores (Wal Mart) and auto centers carry them for a reasonable price
Yeah, I bought a 3 ton floor jack like that (Michelin brand) on sale, even has a padded saddle. I use it every time I need to put a car up, but I'd NEVER crawl under the car without putting jackstands to support the body. That's just asking trouble.

London, sorry to hear it wasn't a gold medal finish. Get well soon, no fun being sick.
Old November 28th, 2017, 04:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning

Bought a shark. Seems to be working out ok.
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:02 AM

mawn'in

Chili but warming up

Allan,as if vac *** cleaner? Reminds me of my 1st wife when she moved in. "Where the trash masher? "On the end of your leg"

Mike, I like the kind that go up fast, One crank down and they're where y7a wanta start lifting. I've go an extra if ya need one. Extra set of jack stands also

London, Sorry about your bug, but the wife done good, Maybe jes maybe American woman have some talents British ladies need to master. Just saying w/o going into details

GTG

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 28th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Loan shark? Great White? Sharky?
Old November 28th, 2017, 08:51 AM

Jim, lol knowing Prince Harry I betcha right!

Allan, shark! You must have a damn big pool.

On a serious note I think Meghan will make a fine addition to the royal family, but you do know it’s all a conspiracy. When they have kids they will have duel nationality that will entitle them to run for the presidency, then the English get to be in charge again. Simple.

Still feeling crappy, another day in bed but now it’s in my stomach. I think I need a 100 yard exclusion zone around me.

Getting cold outside high 30s but dry and windy.
Old November 28th, 2017, 09:25 AM

I took a vacation day to rake up the neighbors leaves. Aren't I a nice guy?
Old November 28th, 2017, 11:24 AM

Evening.

Tuesday.. Feels like it should have been friday already.. Feels like im done. Gah.

To bed-> Just dropped to say hello meanwhile paying bills..
Old November 28th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah the first day back. The thought makes me ill. Perhaps I should call in potentially sick.

Went to bed after 2 and slept pretty much all day. Tough to get back into the swing of things after a week and a half. When I walk in tonight it will seem like I never left.

Those Sharks are supposed to be as good as the Dyson. And cost less. My vacuum cleaner gets a reprieve now cleaning up after only one epic shedder.

Dan that is nice of you. Was there an underlying motive? Like the wind now won't blow them into your yard? The neighbor is hot and she'll repay you *wink wink?

London hope you're feeling better. I hope that's not the plan. We have nowhere to run.

Okay gonna get to it. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:47 PM

Well Mike, it's like this, I don't have any oak trees in my yard, but my neighbors sure do, and their leaves end up in my yard, hence, I am raking my neighbors leaves, or more accurately mulching them up with my mower and bagging them. We had a couple of days of mild weather, mid to upper 50's, which was nice, as it is normally in the low 40's, and the 30's are coming in about a week or so.
Old November 29th, 2017, 04:55 AM

mawn'in

Anutter nice one with rain on the way tonite

Dan, I mulched yesterday and it's the dustiest job in the world. Took the leaf blower to myself after I finished

Ok Car buffs, What kind of car is this Plymouth? What about the tractor? Alis Chambers?

Gonna plow the garden one more time before the rain sets in.
Old November 29th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning

Woodensday today. Off shortly in quest of a gold medal.

The shark is a small one and has an 18 V battery pack.
Old November 29th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Allan, Do you know how to enlarge/enhance old pic to help me figure out what kind of car this is?
Old November 29th, 2017, 09:36 AM

Jamesbo, I left clicked twice on the pic and it enlarged it quite a bit. I still can't I.D., I just don't know too much about that era of cars unless I see something distinct, like a Buick grill. I usually take a sinus tab before I do grass cutting or mulching due to all of the dust, otherwise I get miserable.
Old November 29th, 2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Jamesbo, I left clicked twice on the pic and it enlarged it quite a bit. I still can't I.D., I just don't know too much about that era of cars unless I see something distinct, like a Buick grill. .
Thanks for your efforts. "Ancient iron" says it's a 41 Cheby. With a handle like ancient iron, I'm gonna believe he knows
Old November 29th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I dunno Jim, I'm inclined to say 42 P14S Deluxe based on the tail lights. Hmmm, mebbe not.

Last edited by Allan R; November 29th, 2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old November 29th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not a terrible night for the first one back, but it was busy and I didn't get out until right at 6. Slept late this afternoon, until Tiger couldn't take it anymore and slobbered in my face at 3.

Jamesbo is that someone's car you know? Why did you think it was a Plymouth? I think that's a Buick in front of the Chevy. The tractor looks like it's under a tarp. Maybe that's my yard?

So my friend that had a stent put in back in July(90% blocked) started having more pain. He thought maybe the doctor had done something wrong. Went back for another test, they put in two stents in a different place, where it was -only- 50% blocked in July, but was 99% blocked now. That doesn't seem right to me. Ninety nine percent? That doesn't even sound functionable. He needs to play the lottery.

Okay time for another round. Fog rolled in early this morning, it was fun trying to get around and drive home. Hasn't rained today but everything is wet and humid. Turned out to be a decent afternoon, though.

Have a good night everyone.
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:14 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, The BBQ is on the deck in the backyard. The porch is out front. We broke a 22 year old temp record for November on Monday. It was 81F here. The hail damaged a few spots of the vinyl siding and that color is no longer available so it all needs replaced.

Mike, Yes, we've been waiting to do the slab until all the framing and such was done. The color for the siding is called Classic cream and it's a light yellow.
When we bought the house it only had vinyl siding on 3 sides and I assume they had plans to add on to the house on the back where it wasn't sided. about 10 years ago the paint had run its course and so we decided it was time to side it. That's when we found that color was no longer available. we found something close with slightly less green in it and did the back of the house. There is no place in the back yard where you could see the 2 colors and that they didn't match, but now we are doing the front we also need to do the sides. It's gonna be a good sized job with lots of corners and gables. about 1500 sq. feet, including the garage.
Here's an older pic I found of the back of the house.

Well they poured 6 yards yesterday, and wouldn't you know it, looks like someone went past the caution tape and walked up and rang the doorbell. Looks like we'll get to look at those footprints every time we go out the front door. Who TF does that?

Have a day all.
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:54 AM

mawn'in

Foggy but mild. Rain "may" be on the way

Thanks Mike, Dan and Allan, That's a very important historic pic. Where the tractor is sitting is now a Marta [rapid rail] station [Mike Piedmont and Lindbergh] but when I was a pup, it was a drive in theater. I would share some stories but after what jes happened to Matt Lauer, I'd better not.

What I was "trying to do " was figger out the date of the pic. I know people kept cars longer in those days so at best it's jes a bracketed guess.

Clint, looks like you're doing the right thing. I've added onto my ole [1896] farm house several times and every time I did, I was happy with more room.

BTW Mike, NAPA had 1.5 floor jacks on sale when I went there today for some Seafoam
Old November 30th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning,

Thorsday but I won't be visiting de boys. The tile installers are coming around 8:00 to finish the job they ran out of tiles on 3 weeks ago. I wonder how they'd like it if I paid some now and the rest when I felt like it. I can't think of a good reason why they would underestimate and put us thriufg this inconvenience.

Clint, I hate when stuff like that happens. Most times when cement is poured the crew stays around till after its set up so stuff like that doesn't happen. Any chance they can rip it out and get a do over?

Very nice mild day here starting out at 0. I consider it a heat wave.

Got silver yesterday instead of gold. The other team whacked us in the 2nd end and never looked back, even after trading deuces throughout the game. Our skip badly missed his last 2 draws to clinch their victory. Friday will be a different story as I skip that team.

Enjoy your day
Old November 30th, 2017, 07:07 AM
CQR

I'm not gonna fork out another $3k to have them do it over.
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Night 3. The week is going better than I had hoped. I couldn't believe the fog that rolled in last night. While driving I literally couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. The airplanes looked like eerie shapes you could barely see. Even the bright LED lights on the concourses you couldn't see unless you were right there. But no pirates.

Clint you'll find out who walked on the concrete. If they were dumb enough to do that, they'll be dumb enough to come back and say, oh I was there the other day but no one answered the door. Then they get to spring for the extra 3K. Should be some way you could cover that up, no?

Jamesbo I'm gonna check out floor jacks this weekend. I don't know anything about Marta, except what it stands for. Would that picture be part of downtown now?

Went next door for dinner. She made bratwursts. She got a big package and thought they were Italian sausage. She hates bratwurst but he loves them, and she said what am I going to do with all this extra? Tony said call Mike.

And I'm off. Hope everyone has a good evening. One more to go.
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:00 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Hopefully, as it cures, the prints will be less noticeable.

Mike, Brats are the bomb. I get some made up every year with the barrow I buy.

Jamesbo, The new porch is actually too big for the size of the house, but it sure is turning out nice. I got my siding estimates yesterday. I'll place the order today as it'll take 3 weeks for delivery.

Gonna be mid- 60's for the first weekend of December. I think Ill load up the dirt bikes and the little lady and see if we can contribute a little more to climate change.

Have a weekend all.
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:23 AM

mawn'in

foggy misty but warm

Clint, There's no such thing as "too big" it's kinda like sheds, by the time it's built, it's too small. I have a large screened in porch on thye back that we live on.

Mike, No that MARTA station is just south of Buckhead my ole stomping grounds

Allan, Glad you're getting finished up. Maybe we should rename this the "Home Improvement thread"

Exigency de jour. Coyotes. With all the new development around here, the nasty things have nothing to eat and no place to go. I see a big problem on the horizon,.

Old December 1st, 2017, 05:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning
Quitting day has arrived? Fried eh for sure. Also another chance for gold today. Better than whacking whitey cuz I can always see where the rocks end up and we never ever have to putt.

Sigh, they still have to come back one more time to finish the job. Needless to say they won't be getting any referrals from me.

Jim, I don't think so, more like the WTH thread....

Clint, I understand your point. Not much can be done after the fact. Wow you're getting good weather! You and Lynne have a great weekend on the bikes. Mebbe get a last minute trout or two while you're at it.

Jouni, sup? We know for sure there's beer and sauna involved but are you working on the car or cmm???
Old December 1st, 2017, 09:31 AM

Evening guys.

Friday. Off from sauna.. Drinking beer. Was an exhausting week at work, thats why i havent written there, just read and gone to sleep after work. 102,5 loong hours for 9 days/ counting overtime at work, worth of 127 regular hours. At summer-time that would be next to nothing, but now when you go to work, its dark, it rains, your wet whole time + its cold, and its dark again when youre back at home, it makes days feel darned long and tiring. They told two weeks from now-on and were done?

But now its weekend, and its differend story. Next week ill get to order parts for my bottom-end.

Jamesbo - Im no help about figuring out the modelyear of the car, or even the marque

Allan R - CMM, and every now and then driving asphalt paver, since CMM jobs arent daily at this time of the year. Good luck for your next Curling-match!

Okay, have a good weekend everyone. Time to relax.

Last edited by Inline; December 1st, 2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old December 1st, 2017, 01:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni, thanks! It was a fantastic game and came down to a skips shoot out again. This time I wasn't on the pin, but Kenny was. No worries though because in a shoot out there are guaranteed points for both teams. He got 2 and I got 1. Alls good. Kenny was chatting with me after the game and said I was the first skip he's ever seen make an inturn shot with negative ice. It was a nice compliment because not many people can do that kind of finesse. I look forward to playing him again in the next session.

Enjoy your weekend. Sounds like in a couple weeks it will be your weekend all the time. Sort of like you were retired like me....

Road to the Roar starts tomorrow. That's the Canadian Olympic Curling Playdowns. It promises to be exciting!
Old December 1st, 2017, 01:45 PM

Evening all

Busy day today working on my daughters house. The place is a proper building site now. When I turned up today there was a huge earth moving machine inside the house digging for the piling contractor. This is costing me an arm and a leg, especially when my daughter keeps changing the spec.

Not much else to report today. Tomorrow soccer.

Cold and sunny. Snowing up north but never seems to get to London.
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Friday. I've stayed till the end every day so far, unlike some of the others. I hope I can make up for it tonight.

Got up early and took my neighbor to get a prescription filled. He keeps telling me he can still drive so I don't know why he didn't go himself. Better yet, she wouldn't take him because she didn't think he needed the medicine. Strange couple I stay out of it. So after we got the medicine we went to Burger King. She wanted us to bring her home some chicken nuggets. The menu said 10 pieces were 1.49. Twenty pieces were 4.99. I said, how can that be? We asked the manager. He didn't know either. He said to get two 10pc nuggets. I said, we could get three and still be ahead of the game. He didn't appreciate that.

Beautiful out. Some fog last night but nothing like the last two nights.

London, I must have missed what you're doing to your daughter's house. Digging a basement or adding a second floor? Is all this still cheeper than building a new house?

Jamesbo was it called Buckhead when you lived there? What does that mean? When I moved here Buckhead was all bars. Now I think it's yuppies. At least nimby's.

Might get some tires for the new Cutlass, that's a year old. Haven't messed with that car in a long time. Not having luck with a whitewall. I can get one on tires the original size, but not the bigger 225's. Eh, it's no autocross car.

Okay have a good evening everyone, the weekend is here.
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:10 PM

Mike, basically what I’m doing for my daughters house is a complete rebuild without taking the building down. As the building is in a conservation zone I wasn’t allowed to demolish so I’m underpinning the whole of the walls, replacing the roof, and then it’s like a new build and everything that goes with it.
As you can imagine it would be far cheaper to start from scratch but you can only do what you are allowed to do. The price for all the works come to £451k - ouch!
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

London, what is the specs on her new house? She must be on soft earth to need the pilings. Here we need to get a load (or Bearing) certificate signed by an engineer that specifies the ground will support the foundation, and whether is requires pilings or not. Our house didn't need any, but the house next door needed 21 pilings that went 6 meters deep.

Is the house going to be a bungalow or multi storey? Building codes in the UK are likely a lot different than here in Canada. My son has the current copy of the Alberta Building Code from when he studied Architecture in college. It's a massive binder that covers pretty much everything though.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 12:25 AM

Good Morning everyone. Saturday. Today my little-sisters child gets a name, so thats in order today to visit there

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
Mike, basically what I’m doing for my daughters house is a complete rebuild without taking the building down. As the building is in a conservation zone I wasn’t allowed to demolish so I’m underpinning the whole of the walls, replacing the roof, and then it’s like a new build and everything that goes with it.
As you can imagine it would be far cheaper to start from scratch but you can only do what you are allowed to do. The price for all the works come to £451k - ouch!
That is just like one stupid law here. For example, my house is build at 1947. Construction regulations were way different 70 years back then. Now, if i would want to rebuild my house, it would need to comply with current construction regulations, for electrics, insulation etc etc etc, you know all that s*it- so basically, cheapest thing to do would be demolish this and build new.
But wait !! - if i do it one wall at a time, then i can repair it as it was build back then. But then you would need to apply 4 times for new construction permit ( 4 times the money for the permit..).. Strange are the laws.............

Allan R - Good to hear your match went well and you had fun even you had close lose. I have a feeling your excited about Curling very much
Bet youre not moving from your couch when playdowns are going?

Okay, have a good saturday everyone!
Old December 2nd, 2017, 04:37 AM

Allen, the house will eventually be a 4 bed detached single storey with a playroom mezzanine. The structure was built in 1926 in the middle of ancient forest land and has minimal foundations, hence the piling. Each phase of the build has to be signed off by the building inspector to make sure its compliant. Like most countries there are regs for each part of the building to make sure it covers the building code.

While this is going on we are also starting the three new builds on what used to be the garden. Boy, the neighbours are gonna hate me!

Must be Saturday so it’s off to football I go.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 04:54 AM

mawn'in

still a little soupy

Mike, Yes it was Buckhead when I was a pup but no high rises and a great place to be "from"

London, sounds kinda like a car restoration double the estimate and add 50%

Allan, I have no idear what you're talking about but it sounds like your happy so Congrats

I would comment of stupid city rules and regs but I'm fix'in [Inline that southern for starting to] rage another war with the stupid city politicians

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old December 2nd, 2017, 06:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,

Brought in my pancake compressor, air hose and Brad nailer. Today I'll get some baseboards back in places that don't need paint. All the major renos are done now and we're pretty happy with the results. It's been painful at times.

Jouni, yes sir I really love curling. Funny thing is I remember as a kid not being very interested in it. Back in the 60s it used to air on tv as a show called Keen Ice. I only started curling as a sport 18 years ago. It's a sport you either love or don't. You'd like it because after the game there's usually beer being consumed.... I don't drink anymore as it conflicts with my meds. I might break that rule when we go south to Mexico though.

London, don't worry about the neighbors. This is short term inconvenience for long term happiness. Your pricing seems to be about par with our construction rates. Are you the general contractor to the project?

Safe travels Jim. What are ya fixin to wage war on this time?

The curling trials start at noon, so I better get something done. Enjoy your day.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 11:49 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

As usual slept later than I wanted to, but it felt so good and Tiger was behaving himself. Got home late, again, this morning. We had a guest lead, he called me a little after 2 and said start wrapping it up. Well, by the time I finished all of our bull$hit paperwork and did a favor for my buddy, it was 5 before I left.

Nice here today, think I'll go out and see why my chipper-shredder is locked up. I bought this thing probably 5 years ago from a guy, he started it up and showed me how it all works, I took it home and never used it. I would, from time to time, pull the cord a couple times through so the piston wouldn't get stuck, and then one day it was locked up solid. It hadn't been too long since I had pulled the cord, so I'm thinking something fell down inside the chute and lodged in the cutting wheel. It stays in the crawl space so it's always been dry. If I can get this thing going I'll have mounds and mounds of mulch and wood chips.

London that's quite the undertaking. So the conservationists are only worried about it looking original and not -being- original. Hope you're over your malady.

Jamesbo you should just buy all of your city and then stupid people won't do stupid things. What does the city want to do with that country club after they buy it? Besides not mow. How weird.

Time to get to it. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 02:27 PM

Mike, thanks. I’m 100% fighting fit again.

Allen, no I’m not going to be the main contractor on this one, I will be busy for next 18 months building two new Nursery schools. It seems everything has come together at the same time which means I won’t know whether I’m coming or going.

Good afternoon at the football, a 4 nil win for my lot even though I couldn’t feel my feet by half time, damn chilly.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 05:30 PM
Always room for one more

Ah, youth. I went to the auto parts store for some wipers. They didn't have just regular ANCO or Trico blades, they had a bunch of names I never heard of. And they were north of $15 each. The kid comes out and says, like I'm poor, is there a price range you're looking for? I said, I don't want designer wipers. He grabs the Bosch ones and says these are original equipment. One was 26" the other was 18". I said, wipers used to be 4.99 for two of them. He just looks at me. I wonder if I gave looks like that to people my age when I was that age.

Well I got the chipper unjammed. I didn't have any gas or I would be in a pasture now. Like I thought something was jamming it and now it turns as smooth as can be.

We went to the Awful house for a bite this evening, and at first it was funny. The two women in there were frazzled, and it wasn't that busy. They kept getting things wrong and had to redo them, the chef would make something that didn't even resemble what the order was(and he'd put cheese on everything), but by the end even I was embarrassed and I was just sitting there.

Think I'll watch Christine tonight. I haven't seen that in awhile. Christine is like Seinfeld, I know all the words and don't have to see it to know how any part of it goes. I've seen it like 80 times, which isn't really all that much considering it came out in 1983.

Okay have a good evening.