The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2017, 12:02 AM

Good Morning everyone.

And welcome back car designer.

Rain in the air, but still almost 20c outside. Just ate breakfast at outside.
So no yardwork today. Theres enough work inside too.. Who the hell told to buy old car and old house? No problem with free-time

LondonCutlass - You have Canary birds? I remember when my grand-grand mother had 2 when i was really small child.

Okay, have a good sunday everyone.
Old June 11th, 2017, 02:02 AM

I did have canaries until a fox got under my aviary and got every last one of them, fifteen altogether. I've now put in a concrete base so it's nice and secure.

Went to the shop yesterday but they said I was three weeks too early so I managed to find somewhere else today, I'm getting ten canaries and two quails.

Weather is nice and warm at around 23c and sunny.
Old June 11th, 2017, 03:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Another stellar day is ahead of us here in the Greater Stockbridge Area. Might take in the junkyard today, haven't been there in a couple months.

Got all my mowing done yesterday and a lot of the trimming. The weeds had grown up along the lake and I pulled them all out and started up along the chain link. Worked until dark so today I have to clean it all up.

So here's a tip the next time you're at the post office. Unless you're sending lead through the mail, don't get the priority boxes, use your own boxes. I send the dome light assy from that white truck to a friend of mine in Florida. It just fit in the white box and flat rate was $7 and something. So I put it in my own box and sent it and it was less than $4. Hm.

Well it's a little early for the Awful house but might as well get the day started. Tiger has to stay home this morning, since he can't go to the junkyard with me. He isn't going to like that.

Have a good day everyone.
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:35 AM

Evening.

Got alot done today. Now i should gather some motivation for work tomorrow...
Long week awaiting. Thank god, its again only 4 days.

Sipping some quality brandy now. While i still can take a few naps.
Old June 11th, 2017, 09:40 AM

Shouting out loud.

If you would be going to see either one of these once in your lifetime, which would be more entertaining ( the actual race, not the show around it)?

Nascar or IndyCar?
Old June 11th, 2017, 11:07 AM

Hays up so tomorrow if no rain is smack whitey day

I wonder if I can make it 3 days before this whole place starts to look like poop on a white rabbit again

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 11th, 2017, 04:06 PM
golden rocket

deep fried some catfish and hush puppies last night. along with deep frying okra. you boys from the area of the war of northern aggression know what i'm talking about. can't beat fried food for taste.

to much yard work last couple of days, so haven't spent much time on the Delmont. replacing the heater control valve sometime this week if the heat index stays below 100. about 86 degrees with 56% humidity, makes it feel like about 95. sure will make you feel worn out working in it. take lots of breaks and drink lots of water.

is there a fast easy way to change out the heater control valve, need to so A/C (all new) works.
Old June 11th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sunday close

A quiet day. No rain but cool. That kind of day when nothing really gets done.

Gold - I don't envy your climate. That heater control valve might be really welded in there after all this time. The one on my 72 was and I couldn't get it out for love of trying when I changed the intake manifold. Even heat didn't budge it. Good luck

Jouni - I think I'd go for Indy. Nothing wrong with Nascar either though. Did you watch the Indy 500 this year? It was really spectacular. All the technology built into the cars and track worked perfectly and prevented some potential deaths. Lots of mangled wrecks this year.....Mmmm, Brandy is good. I kind of like Metaxa 7 star. Also like Glayva (scotch Liqueur) but good cold beer works well in any pinch.

London - I'm surprised you have vacancies. Maybe not everyone is cut out to work with young kids.

Jim - I betcha Whitey will be waiting to be whacked tomorrow. Looks like temps in the high 80's and a few isolated t storms. Enjoy!
Old June 11th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Always room for one more

Well I get the Dumbass of the Day award. Saw my friend at the Awful house and told him I really wanted to be done with that parts truck. He said he'd bring over his torch and cut the bumper bolts off so I could save the bumper. Well he did, took him about an hour. Then he left and I commenced to cut off the rest of the quarter panel. Wasn't paying attention and cut a big chunk out of the bumper. Then kept cutting on the quarter panel and it just wouldn't come off. Figured out it's also attached to the wheel well. I ain't messing with all that so that's the end of my parts salvaging. I bought my friend's lunch but will give him some cash since all his time (and gas) was wasted. Sheesh.

There was no leaving Tiger home this morning so he went with to the Awful house then I took him home and went to the junkyard. Nothing good. Don't think I was there a half hour.

Think I'll relax with a 9 year old Hot Rod magazine and hit the sack early. Clint that reminds me the last Collectible Automobile I read had a picture of a yellow Lincoln convertible that lives in your town. Ever see it?

Have a good evening everyone.
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:33 PM

So warm...

Ok, maybe not for many of you but for us today was a warm day. Even have a heat warning in place for today and tomorrow. Felt like about 100F today and I was at a car show today!

Great drive out today and enjoyed the working A/C in the Cutlass on the way home.

It was a GM only show and there were a handful of Oldsmobiles.

Allan, all I did was ask what happened to the original one.
Old June 12th, 2017, 04:03 AM

Tis Monday so I'm off

have a great week Olds friends
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning
Not much happening. Soon the kids will be done school and have nothing to do all summer. For some of them the education seems to be wasted.

Grass cutting on the agenda today. Rest of the week is Spoda be wer.

Clint - Nice pic of Lynne.

Jim - Have fun whackin whitey.
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:02 AM

Pics from the Back to the Bricks tour, which was here yesterday. https://goo.gl/photos/xiPrM2MGEh6T17NV6
Old June 12th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beauty here, but rain is the word. Hope not, I haven't been to the Summit cruise in for weeks. I thought I heard thunder a little while ago, but the sun is out.

Dan thanks for the pictures. Wish you would have shot wider with the 57 Olds to get the late Corvair in there as well. Love the 59 Retractable. I used to have one. That's a nice picture of Eleanor Thornton.

Still no joy with that pickup. Was all set to take the wheels off and head to the recycler, then I remembered I had to do something with the gas tank. I drilled a hole in the corner to let all the gas out, now I don't know what to do. Last I heard if you didn't take the tank out you had to cut an 18" hole in it. Well, it might be more like a 4" hole but they'll be able to see there's no gas in it. I guess I'll start filling it with water and cut a hole with a hole saw.

Paul do you still have the same job? Last I remember you were a contractor looking to get picked up as an employee. Glad the car is coming along. How are the others?

Lunch is over so back to it. Gonna try to get to the tag office this afternoon as well. I have to get everything done by next week, hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Have a good Monday everyone.
Old June 12th, 2017, 12:54 PM

I wish I could figger out how to make it rain on my tomatoes and not on the grass. Got 8 lbs of Cayenne pepper from the chef at the golf course. Thar should get me thu a few days
Old June 12th, 2017, 03:14 PM
golden rocket

To hot for yard work, 86 with heat index of 99. so did it this morning when, as the weather people say "partially cloudy" still sweated like I was on fire. got most of the construction debris out of the yard. Over 3 weeks of not mowing looks like I'm going to have to bale it after I cut it. Weather forecast shows it is just going to get hotter, with higher heat indexes. Typical weather for Oklahoma in June.

Have a god one.
Old June 12th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The Close

Jim - That's easy. Just have to find Joe Btfsplk to walk around in the maters and jobs done Can you set up a system of drip tube or would it be a logistical nightmare?? I bought some of that stuff around 15 years ago with the idea of laying it into the garden. After figuring out how many T's and plugs I needed I relegated that hose to the shed and it's been there ever since. I'm lucky I have a small enough plot that watering with a hose isn't a big deal.

How'd yall do smackin Mr Whitey today? Did that 2 week sabatical hurt ya?

Dan - Thank you. Those pictures are awesome. Looks like more Mopar and Chevy than anything else but they sure look purty. Was it a small show this year? That's the first Subaru van I've ever seen! Wonder how much of it was copied from the Fahrvergnugen people? We have several car shows going here this weekend. The missus asked if we were going to any. Interesting how she's become interested in car shows lately...

Gold - Weather like that is just crazy. It only got up to 85° here today but with my coverals on I think it was close to 95 in them. Made me sick, literally. I think I lost 4 lbs just in sweat. As Jouni would say, Many beers help fix that. Problem is I can't because of diabetes. One beer limit now. Then lots of water and fruit smoothies.

Got my sandblast cabinet out so I can clean up the SS wheels. Costco called and said the BF Goodrich TA's are in. They wanted to know when I would bring in the wheels. Nice people, they offered to set up the installation next week which gives more than enough time to blast, prime, paint and cure the wheels. Good thing these are only 14x7". I think the limit would be 16" for ease of work in that cabinet. I'm tempted to powder coat the wheels, but I have a budget I have to stick to so that's out.

Off to Princess Auto to get new hoses for the blaster. The original ones are 5 years old and have developed some kinks from storage and that restriction keeps the media from flowing. I bought new hoses and some 20-30 glass bead media. I had been using 30-60 glass beads but they take forever to remove a couple layers of paint. The new stuff should rip the paint off easily. I can always change the media back to 30-60 if I want the surface smoother. The plan is to paint the back sides black, and then tape off the holes from the back side before spraying the final color on the front. I'm also leaning toward painting a set of bezels gold for accent to see how it will look.
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:55 PM

Good Morning everyone.

Last day was awful at work. Rained the whole ******* day and i was like a wet dog after being half the day outside, despite rain-jackets etc. Was also very tired for some reason, so the day seemed to last forever.......... After i got home, drank one beer and straight to bed after wash.
Now im not that tired, currently its not raining, am i good to go??

Dan - Thanks for pictures. Uhhhh, gen1 Charger. Best one of the whole model series. Id want that

Allan R - Your idea sounds good about the rims. Bet they look good with gold bezels, and give a nice contrast under your car

Okay. Off to work again. Just a day. Hope to get off early enough to heat sauna.
Tomorrow and " tomorrows tomorrow" ( help me out, whats the word ) are combined day+night shifts. Im already waiting those eagerly......

Have a tuesday everyone!
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:11 PM

That's a nice picture of Eleanor Thornton.
Mike, what? Sorry about not getting a pic of the Corvair. Anywho, that Subaru was tiny, it was sporting 10" wheels. This show was a promo that went around the state to get interest in the Back to the Bricks show in Flint coming up in August, there were about 200 cars here, but the show in Flint has around 4,000! Inline, those first Chargers aren't as popular as the ones to follow form '1968-70, but they have an appeal to them, especially with front and rear buckets seats, and a console that runs from the front seats to the back seats, just makes them cool. That green '69 427 Impala belongs to a friend of mine, very nice. John, I hope that Homecoming doesn't get rained on, they are predicting an 60% chance of showers...dang it.

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 12th, 2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old June 13th, 2017, 01:27 AM

Morning all,

Kept thinking it was Wednesday today and it's still only Tuesday, damn. Gonna be a long week.

Last night was interesting, myself and the wife went for a meal with the mayor, which was nice, I also happened to mention that I had a planning issue coming up before the council in a few weeks time and she promised to look into that. Could be handy.

Allan, you mentioned you were surprised I had vacancies, despite what the media say there are thousands of unfilled positions near me, the only people that are out of work within a hundred miles of me are the lazy ones that survive off of our too generous benefit system.

Lovely day today, high 70s and sunny.

Finishing putting up my electric security shutters today at work, hope they all work, but at least it's only the wiring and switchgears to do so not too energetic.
Old June 13th, 2017, 04:28 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

See if we can have a Tuesday instead of a second Monday.

Have a day.
Old June 13th, 2017, 05:23 AM

Mawn'in

Hot with a chance of showers

Inline, I'd call that a "double shift"

Allan, The sabbatical didn't hurt my game, It's lack of concentration and focus that makes me foul up.

Clint, It's officially Tuesday

Old June 13th, 2017, 05:33 AM

Argh, up early to drop the mower off for repairs.
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:50 AM

Made the appointment yesterday to drop off the mower @ 9:am, so of course he's not there.
Old June 13th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Talking

Yup, it's Toosday...
Woke up to rain but it's stopped now. 82% humidity though so it feels a little muggy.

Tomorrow I'm having a celebration lunch with my sister. We're born 2 days apart (different years) so we do this every year. Looking forward to a great visit. She chose the restaurant this year.

Jim - I've been told that too. I find it hard to swing through or putt through my shadow. The 19th hole is usually the one I can par or birdie

Dan - What's wrong with the mower? If it's a carb rebuild, they're not complicated and pretty easy to do. Lot of times the methanol gas crystallizes in the bowl and jets causing it to either not run, or run poorly.

London - That's not uncommon for some people to flog the system and demand pogey instead of working for a living. It's really too bad they get away with it so easily. That's a stroke of good luck, or planning, dropping that hint to the mayor. I'm guessing you picked up the check?

Jouni - Thanks! Sounds like you're going to be one tired guy after that shift from hell. Don't fall asleep in the sauna. Worse than being soaked in a rain suit.

Clint - Yup.

Ok, time to get to it.
Old June 13th, 2017, 08:49 AM

Allan, probably in the carb I guess, it's a Troy Bilt with a Honda engine that I acquired last fall from a trade for my rider and cash from them, as I down sized my yard when I moved. It has a choke lever that you engage to start, and as it warms up it moves to the run position. Well, It was running great in the choke position, but not at all in run, so, I ran it with the choke wired on, ran great, until last Saturday when it decided to run poorly at about half speed, and bogging down in thick grass. I just came back from dropping it off at another repair place. 10-15 days to get it back. Dang, the grass will be tall by then.
Old June 13th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Was tired last night so I went to bed early, and slept until 1130 this morning. Tiger jumped up on the bed with me and barely moved the whole time. That was a lot of sleeping but I hope I'm not up too early to be working all night tonight.

Dan Eleanor Thornton was the model for the Rolls Royce hood ornament. The story I heard was she was secretary for either Rolls or Royce, but when I went to look up which one I saw that she was secretary and mistress of John Edward Scott-Montagu. Tragically, this woman died on board the SS Persia in December of 1915 when the ship was sunk by a German Uboat. The baron, however, survived.

Finally got that pickup done with. Cut a hole in the gas tank, got the wheels off, and took it to the recycler. Got a whopping 227 for it. Next up is a 68 Valiant that has bondo in every body panel, a smashed windshield, and copious amounts of rust.

London I remember my first day of high school. It was challenging trying to learn a new school and all the new people, etc. I woke up tired the next day and thought, this better be Friday because it's been a long week. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was only Tuesday. Hey I have a question for you. When you guys over there eat something that's remarkably tasty, do you say it's gorgeous?

Mike I would love that weather. Especially if it isn't as humid as it is here in Georgia. Back when I was thin, I would walk 4 miles every day. Always late afternoon, and in the summer it was pretty toasty. I loved it.

Got some errands to run before it's time to get ready for work. Hope everyone is having a good day. Or, a better one.
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:36 AM

Mike, I suppose you could say that food is gorgeous but that term would normally be saved for a hot woman, apart from using delicious not sure what else you would say.
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Always room for one more

Well I was just asking because the Australians would say that. More than once when I'm out with my friends (in Australia) they'll make a comment like, this steak is gorgeous. One time when they were here they met my neighbor, who was an old woman, and they really liked her and said, oh Barbara is gorgeous. She was hardly a hot woman. I thought maybe that came from their English roots, hm maybe not.
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Evening.

Shift from hell.... First Place, more work than what was talked. Were already late from next Place, then both of our machines broke down simultaneously. Got em fixed, but second Place got cancelled. Were back at station 0630pm, when we should have been on second workplace at 0200pm.... Oh my.. Sometimes i hate this ****!

Dan - I know this. Same here in Finland. But im not a fan of second gen Charger. Gen 1 is it for me

LondonCutlass - Friend of Major of London? Wow. And youre hanging with us mortals
Jokes aside, that may come handy for sure. To another subject, i could say same from here. Most people without work are people without will to work, their just using up our system, and crying out loud

Anyways, have a good evening everyone.
Old June 13th, 2017, 12:29 PM

IMHO Scrumptious applies to both
Old June 13th, 2017, 05:28 PM

Evening folks.

Temps are starting to come down to more comfortable levels.

I'm starting to be able to breathe at work. One of my large projects launched yesterday and so far so good. Oh and added a new one to the list

Can someone tell me why I bought a Mustang? Second check engine light in about a month for completely different issues.

Mike, you are going back... about 4 years to when I was on contract. I ended up getting in at the same place in the same job and have been there ever since.

Inline sorry to hear about your work day.

Gorgeous food? Never heard of that wording before.

Hope you had a good Birthday lunch today Allan.

Clint, did it turn out to be a Tuesday or another Monday? Funny that you mentioned that today since someone at work said the same thing.
Old June 13th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The Close

Where's Adrian when ya need him to clarify stuff about Oz?? I think they call pretty girls Sheila's and when they see one that's pretty they call it a bit of all right.

Paul - It's tomorrow, but thank you. I'll let her know you said so. Why did you buy a Mustang anyway?? Actually, 4 years without a check engine light is ok. Do you have an OBDII scan tool? Download the code and see if you can fix it yourself. Some are really simple, like a sensor that's gone bad. Clint is the one who knows everything about troubleshooting. re: Tuesday. I know what you mean. Being retired means I keep losing track of what day it is. Could have sworn we just had a Tuesday a few days ago...

London - Here when we see a pretty woman, that's what we say. She's pretty. Sometimes drop dead gorgeous. You know... NEVER in front of your wife though.

Jouni - Sometimes work is a real beach isn't it? Hang in there!

I got around to the sandblasting today and the new abrasive works well. Then the stupid light in the cabinet goes out. So time for a replacement. I painted a junk wheel bezel gold to see how it would look on the wheels and scratch that idea. Looks horrible. I'd need to have them anodized for the right look and that's not gonna happen. So it will be stainless trim rings after all.

A very cool day here overall with humidity, but nothing like what Golden is tolerating in his neck of the woods.
Old June 13th, 2017, 09:30 PM

Mike, thanks for the history lesson. Allan, if I remember right from the movie Crocodile Dundee, a sheila is female impersonator. https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...84&action=view

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 13th, 2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old June 14th, 2017, 03:08 AM

Mawn'in

Not to change the subject but

A dear friend of mine's mother [years ago] went to see Midnight cowboy. She came home and asked her husband why Dustin Hoffman was called a ******."Sonny, What's a ****** ?" He looked up from his crossword puzzle and said "A bundle of sticks"

Look it up

Later I was able to set her straight

Old June 14th, 2017, 04:36 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Happy Humpday.
Old June 14th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Mawnin

Anutter wet day ahead.

Jim - A *** is also an old term for a cigarette. I thing it comes from across the pond. In some places **** were also the staff who cleared tables after meals were done. How de world has changed.

Dan - I think not. In the handshake scene Mick says " That's a guy! A guy dressed up AS a Sheila." So an impersonator is an impersonator but a Sheila is still a woman.
Australian slang for "woman", is derived from the Irish girls' name Síle (IPA: [ʃiːlʲə], anglicised Sheila)
Clint - Yes it is. Enjoy.
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:00 AM

I only remember one scene from the whole movie
Old June 14th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Captain Starfire

Morning, folks... 'nudder wet one in da' Swamp... may just never end...
MIL supposed to be discharged from rehab today, so it's a big day for the family. She's been out of the house for over 5 weeks. Of course, B.H. is in IL overseeing the transition. Hoping & praying it all goes well

Some grass here is 3' tall, so I'm expecting the mower-police to be dropping in any day... but it's still supposed to be raining into tomorrow. Might have go get out there in the slosh and tear things up at some point.

BTW, I promised an update on the S/F, so here's where I was yesterday. Still not sure whether I'll take off the hood, fenders, & bumper. I'd need to get my friend over here to be sure I don't scratch or scrape anything if I go much further. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of rust. Only thing that could use some attention is where the battery sat.

I think the poor S/F might feel a draft?

Y'all have a great Humpity, Olds friends.
Old June 14th, 2017, 01:23 PM

How funny that a word from one country means something completely different in another. In the UK a pack of cigarettes are known as a pack of **** and if someone asks you for a *** nobody would take any offence.
For us, a ****** is a dish of meat and onion and stuff and fried, not nice.
Yes a Sheila as an Aussie girl which to me sounds fair dinkum.

I suppose we use strange words over here as well, for example when I meet a good friend I would say "alright geez". makes sense to me

Heard on the news about the shootings at a baseball match over your side. Not good.

We have had problems with a massive fire in London today, a dozen people dead so far with many more expected. Not good

Inline. I'm actually friends with the mayor of my London Borough, not this mayor of London, whom I don't really like, however I have met our previous Mayor, Boris Johnson a few times.

Hot in London today at around 80 and sunny.

Last edited by LondonCutlass; June 14th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.