The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2017, 03:50 AM

Mawn'in

Gonna be a warm one today

GTG Headed to the evil city

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 10th, 2017, 04:30 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

John sorry to hear about the MIL.Our thoughts are with you.

No storms yesterday, but we still have them in the forecast for the rest of the week.

Have a day all.
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:00 AM

I looked on a forum about the timing cover for my 3.6L, sounds like it's one of the harder ones out there to do, so the ten hours is probably right. Clint...dang that's some hail & damage. I seen on the weather channel confirming Jamesbo's hint at warmer weather for those parts, I'll pass. John, hope the MIL does better.
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Well waited one hour for a 12 minute test at the Dr's. I'm beginning to think they get a cut of the parking lot revenues
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:34 AM
MOTORHEAD

park king

I have had my ticket validated
LOL
does not cover ramp FEES
good luck getting out with out
a credit card
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:23 PM

Good evening everyone. Been superbusy as usual. But today i received an paycheck and it made me smile. Maybe IT IS worth it
Well today went Super good. I noticed today that i drive it pretty good and make good decisions when we are on our own; but when the supervisor is watching my back and yelling to me when im not doing how he would do, i got nervous and do bad decisions since im not confident enough yet to pass it and do what i feel should be done.

John - All the best for your better half's mother.

Okay. Just came from sauna, and now im drinking few beers. Soon to sleep and back to work. Soon its weekend, and as much work waiting here.
Old May 10th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Almost 90 today. Love it. Got up a little early so Tiger and I could run some errands, then stopped at the Awful house.

So now that warm weather is more the norm, how can I keep it cool inside the car for Tiger while I'm in somewhere? It's a white car but it still warms up pretty quick when the AC is off. I'd just leave the engine idle but then he can step on the window switches and let the windows down. Any ideas?

Dan my Mom's Aura doesn't leak oil at all. Though it only has 40K on it. The trouble she's been having, pretty much since it was new, is the drivers door lock doesn't unlock all the way when you push the button or use the fob. She won't get it fixed because she said when they look at it when she gets it home it makes the alarm go off. Her car doesn't have an alarm, not sure what that's about. She's having trouble getting in and out of the car these days, so I told her once her house stuff is all settled we need to think about a new car. I thought she'd give me some flack but didn't really say anything.

Jamesbo when I have to go to the doctor I just plan on being there all day. Luckily the office doesn't have paid parking. When I walked in for my foot on Monday, the desk warmer said I'd have to wait two hours. I walked in the door and walked out in less than an hour. Definitely not the norm.

Okay, night 2. Last night was pretty good. Hope it continues. Hope everyone is having a good Hump Day.
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:45 PM

Good Morning everyone.

Almost 90? Lol its been whole week under 42F here and every now and then raining water and that wet snow. Disgusting weather, and what it is, mid of may?!?

Okay, soon back to work. Have a good hump-day everyone.
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:55 AM

Mawn'in

Gonna be another hot one today

I'm still fight the ground hogs in the garden, I'm gonna put a piece of garden hose up the exhaust of the tractor and push it as far as I can into their hole

I feel like Wiley Coyote and the road runner

Mike, That's a tuff one. I have ta leave Red at home but he likes watching the Animal Planet

Inline, Just tell you supervisor the same thing I tell my wife, " I can only do 49 things at the same time"

Headed back to the big city

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:54 AM

Wtf, did it again. Simple work which i almost screwed up because of supervisor yelling on my back ??? Whats wrong on me. Alone it would have been a breeze..
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:48 AM

Mike, have you thought about some kind of pet/window screen. People get really p.o'd if they see a dog left in a car on a hot day, and there may be a law against it. Your mom may have the 3.5L in her car if it's an XE. Not oil, trans fluid, so they say, as I have nothing on my garage floor. Reading online, apparently it's a problem with the 3.6L. Inline, you're not the problem, it's your supervisor who thinks that he has to yell to do his job. The worst kind.
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:43 AM

Evening all

It seems that Mike has it too hot, Inline has it too cold, and I have it just right!

So Mike, when you go to the Docs, do you have to just turn up and wait or do you just make an appointment, also do you have to pay when you go? Not sure what happens over your side.

Having a polishing day on Friday, time to get the Yank ready for the car show on Sunday.

Jamesbo, put up a picture of a groundhog because I haven't a clue what they are.
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Captain Starfire

G'day! Thanks for the well-wishes for L.P. (my MIL). I think she's moving in the right direction, since this morning she was xferred to the skilled nursing unit for rehab; so for those who are inclined, pls. keep up the thoughts & prayers. The big challenge will come when she's discharged from the SNF/SNU in a week or two. We have no idea what's going to happen; but we know what won't happen: she won't be living by herself or driving anymore. There'll be wailing & gnashing of teeth in one form or another from various quarters. But no complaints from the Louisiana quarters.

Mike, don't you know that English majors can use words unknown to Mr. Webster? I mixed one part of Jamesbo's "incantations" & one part "to enchant" and it yielded a little wicked verbal concoction. (Unfortunately, more little than wicked.)

On another fun note, the icemaker in our fridge here went T.U. yesterday, so I'm thawed the whole mess out today to see what was going on. Nothing seemed to be broken (the little funnel under the water outlet going into the tray had fallen off); so if I cleaned 'er up put 'er back together. If it spits water all over the freezer again, I'll roll the dice to the tune of $130 for a new ice-maker -- for a 12 yr. old fridge. The replacement fridge we'd buy would put a considerable dent in the monthly budget, so I'd just bet on a new ice-maker. The one in there now is original -- which I find amazing. When I was younger, my parents had a fridge that seemed to consume ice-makers they way my '73 Delta 88 ate rebuilt alternators.

OK, and it's an oil-change for the F-150 and a wash for the Fusion today, too. One day, I might actually work on the Olds again.

Y'all have a great one, Olds pals.
Old May 11th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Yet another excellent day. And I saw a lot of it. Tiger must have read about the coyote that someone saw in the neighborhood and wanted to see it for himself.

John glad the MIL is doing better. How long is Better Half staying up there? If she wants to stay longer than her return ticket, she should be able to make a change without incurring a fee, since this was a medical emergency.

London I try to make an appointment to see the doctor, but sometimes I just need to go in. I usually have to wait a lot longer, but it's better than visiting the ER. I have pretty good insurance through my work, so it doesn't cost me anything. Whatever the charges are for the visit they bill my insurance and then bill me for what's left. I do pretty well. This is not typical of all insurance plans in the US.

Dan I believe Mom's car is a 3.5 It's an 08 XE. It's been a good car but it's time for a new one. Not sure if I want to trade it, which will help with the payment on the new car, or keep it as someone in the family could probably use a good used car.

I usually crack the windows for Tiger when I'm in the Awful house or wherever. When it gets too hot he'll have to stay home for sure. It should be about time for the do-gooders to start yapping about the dogs in cars again. I like when they say on the news, I have no problem smashing a window. Well, that just puts glass everywhere, including on the dog, and usually a loose running dog. Not to mention what the owner of the car would do to the do-gooder. Maybe a battery operated fan would work. Though circulating hot air isn't really an answer.

And time for night 3. Been doing good so far, might try to take tomorrow off so it will be easier on me this weekend. We'll see. Have a good evening everyone.
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:56 AM

Mawn'in

Another hot one

Mike, I always give Red a treat when I come home, He seems to look forward to me returning just for that reason

John, I learnt a new word yesterday Fungible

Gonna gas the ground hogs again today

London, Here's a pic for ya. Some people call them whistle pigs Cause if you whistle at them they'll freeze for a second. Just enough time for you to blow their heads off.

Old May 12th, 2017, 06:14 AM

Cuuute

How could you shoot something that cute!!
Old May 12th, 2017, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
Cuuute

How could you shoot something that cute!!

Easy after you spend hours planting brocolli and the SOB's eat a whole row on one night
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:12 AM

LOL @ you Jamesbo from your last comment

And good friday evening. Workings week is over, at last.
Spend over 2 hours at sauna. Im glad working week is over. It was really hard week mentally. But at the end im satisfied about what ive learned.

Bee-Oh-Pee - Glad to hear shes getting better.

Okay- have a good weekend everyone.
Old May 12th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Captain Starfire

Hope nobody lights any matches near that ground hog's anus for a while...

Jamesbo, I guess you feel about them the way I feel about the pigs & armadillos.... BTW, that's a nice word... do you ever look up the etymology when you're looking up the meaning? That's a typically latinate word - adapted straight from the Latin. That's one that not many folks besides Wm. F. Buckley (in his heyday) would throw around...

Straight from Merriam-Webster:

New Latin fungibilis, from Latin fungi to perform — more at function
First Known Use: 1818

And you always thought fungi was just more than one fungus~! (At least that's what Kramer says.)

Thanks, Inline.Thanks, Mike. Better half has no return ticket... Will have to get one when she's ready, which is hopefully in the next week or so. We'll see.... They'll rake her over the coals again. But she'd rather pay thru the nose and be somewhat assured she'll get on the plane. Poor kid is really stressed out these days (understandably so), and no sense adding to it.

It's funny --> Not bragging; just stating facts: I'm the adult among me & my two brothers; but it has something to do with being the oldest. But Better Half is the youngest among the 4 kids, and she's the adult in the family. It's really sad, in all honesty. Her oldest sister is certifiable. Lives in Peoria and has yet to even visit Mom in the hospital. She had the audacity to claim that B.H. LIKES TO FLY!!! (She hates it like the devil hates holy water.) But I guess with regard to families, we've all been there & done that.

Y'all have a great weekend, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; May 12th, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old May 12th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Made it to Friday. Every night this week started out well but then went south towards the end. That's what happens when you have a lead that is more interested in throwing his "weight" around than getting the work done. The company is full of guys like this and it's tiring.

John I don't necessarily like flying, either, but regard it as a necessary evil. I used to fly a lot when I had more chance but these days I'd just as soon take the road trip. Glad MIL is getting to the point where Better Half can come home. She needs a break, too.

Jamesbo I give Tiger a treat before I leave. It started with the other two, it was to bribe them to be good while I was gone.

So after work tomorrow it's off to North Carolina. Talked with my buddy today and he said they're pretty much loaded up and all we have to do is start driving. Not looking forward to this, but hey, I don't mind helping a guy out.

Okay out with Tiger then off to work. He's getting better with his room but he still hates it. Though he does sleep up on the couch all night and is sluggish when I get home in the morning, so it can't be all bad.

Have a good night everyone.
Old May 12th, 2017, 03:31 PM
CQR

Afternoon all.

Fanally had a warm body that is at least invested in being a tech come in for an interview. It's a done deal He dropped his box off this morning and starts first thing Monday.

The missus is forcing me to go out riding the bikes this weekend. Have a day all.
Old May 12th, 2017, 10:09 PM

Clint, I hope this one turns out better than the last one.
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:56 AM

Mawn'in

So, I'm chatting with a friend at his office and up drives and high school chum in a 68 Cutlass drop top, I'm trying to get him to join us, we'll see

Got the maters fertilized and the taters fertilized and hilled up just before we got a few shower

Mowed a little too

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Clint, I hope this one turns out better than the last one.

Headed norte to have dinner with a friend

John, Burying the Saint in my friend's mom's front yard. Hope it works

Have a GREAT weekend Olds friends
Old May 13th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Captain Starfire

Had a real stormer yesterday; had to be at least a couple inches of wet (at least not white) stuff. Seemed like it hinted at hailing once or twice, but we were spared. I'm glad, 'cause I have the Avalon parked outside after the F-150 oil change Thursday.

Jamesbo, remember: it's not magic and it's not voo-doo. Datz all I'll zay. St. Joe, he a good man; just axe the Louisiana Sicilian immigrants.

Awakened at 5 a.m. by battery backups beeping due to loss of A/C power. Stumbled down to generator outside & switched on in the dark. But at least it weren't raining. It's still on... Grids here and in Hiawassee are toss-up's for worst in U.S., I'll say. This one seemed to be getting better; but Entergy's been taking giant steps backward locally in last year or so.

It's Aunt Carmy night tonight.

Have a fab Saturday, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; May 13th, 2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:36 PM

Good sunday-morning.

Just a quick step-in, since alot of works left even i worked whole yesterday.

CQR - Be sure to keep it warm too, dont save on heating bill
For real- how can it be so hard to get a guy willing to do work nowadays ???

Okay, good day for everyone.
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:07 AM

Afternoon all,

Just come back from a really good classic show, about a thousand cars including three Olds. One was a really original 1958 Super 88, I told him about this forum and he says he will post some pics. I met a couple from Portland Oregon who were suprised with the amount of classics from the US that were there including a show winning 31 Plymouth.

However, I did leave the show with one unwanted present - a sunburnt head!

For some reason I can't put any pics up, security tokens?
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:32 PM

Security tokens means that you have to reduce the size of your pics. to 5mb or smaller.
Old May 14th, 2017, 01:30 PM
golden rocket

belated good morning. served the wife breakfast in bed. coffee, all she wanted. I got off cheap. Kids sent text messages to her for MD. I figured they could have made a phone call or come be the house, since they all live within a mile of us.

CQR how hard is it to find somebody to work these days? How many teeth does a chicken have, right? getting even harder to find somebody to hire to do something for you.

Iffen your mom is still around appreciate her, mines been gone 40 years, and the MIL been gone 43 years.

Have a good week. mike
Old May 14th, 2017, 03:12 PM

been running back and forth to the hills

Gonna smacky whitey tomroorw a.m. then run back north then run back south. Good thing Red's driving [he knows the way by heart]
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:09 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got in from Mississippi. Had a long, but uneventful drive from North Carolina to Alabama this weekend, and got most of the truck unloaded. Took the first flight out from a very small airport this morning and of course stopped at the Awful house on the way home. Tiger gets picked up a little later.

Clint hope the new guy works out. Hope he showed up today.

Gotta do some catching up. Hope everyone's week started out good.
Old May 15th, 2017, 10:49 AM

Good evening.

"Short" day at work, left at 0430am, and was back home at 0815pm. Just enough time to sip few beers.

Well, dont judge too much about meeting relatives or not. I send once a year happy birthday and happy mothers day to my mom, but i havent called her for 7 or 8 years. Reasons vary, and i dont want to share mine, but just as a note to not necessarily judge others for keeping in contact or not. You def cant choose your relatives, but you can choose who to keep in contact.

Was a nice day at work. But rained.

Have a good week everyone.
Old May 16th, 2017, 02:11 AM

Good morning all!

It really breaks my heart when work says that, "We're having a Hurricane Drill, so stay home and telework today!" I have to say it's tougher working from home than the office. There are so many things in the garage to distract me! =)

Have a great day, ya'll!
Old May 16th, 2017, 05:30 AM

Mawn'in

Doing the LA turn around from the hills to help give a lift for a friend

Old May 16th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all....

Might actually try to work on the Olds today... Whoa!

Welcome to the asylum, Moyock. Set a spell. Take your shoes off.

Clint, maybe asking every day how the new recruit is doing will put the gris-gris on him; so I won't axe. I got a brake tag on the Vette yesterday from my guy in town and he informed me that his helper of about 2 yrs saw some greener grass and left the pasture. It reminded me of you... The guy seemed like a great worker and pretty much stayed out of trouble.

Inline, I ain't sayin' nuttin'.

Jamesbo, hope ur whackin' went better than usual.

Mike, hope the ankle & foot are behavin' themselves.

Y'all have a great Tuesday, Olds friends.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: After last year's LA flooding, I linked to a story about the bee hives at St. Joseph Abbey near Covington, and the devastation to the colonies (as well as the rest of the Abbey). Well here's an update, and the news seems to be good, from my ol' H.S. classmate, Jeff Horchoff:
http://www.fox8live.com/story/354349...ys-bee-program

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; May 16th, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 16th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hot, hot today. Love it. Slept a lot and haven't done much since I got up. Work tonight.

Welcome Moyock.

John what did you get done on the car today? I forgot what you said you thought about the Aero Kroil. What chassis black did you end up liking best?

Forgot all about Summit last night. Napped in the afternoon, picked up Tiger, went to Walmart and hit the sack early. Didn't even cross my mind. Eh, we'll try again next week.

So I saw something that Scot posted on facebook, the 40th anniversary of Smokey and the Bandit is playing by me next weekend. So I got tickets. I saw it in the theater when I was 10. My Dad took my brother and me, and my Grandmother to see it. Why he thought it was a good idea to take two little boys and an old lady to see that movie is beyond me. Anyway I got two tickets and have no one to go with. Maybe I'll pick someone up off the street.

Okay off to it. Have a good evening everyone.
Old May 17th, 2017, 12:04 AM

Good Morning everyone.

"Nice" working times again. Should go to night-shift. And tomorrow too. Its somewhat tiring to change your rhytm on one day from day to night-shift without free day between.
Thats one thing i dont like. Only good thing is long weekend, since thursday-friday night is last shift of the week. And fiancees away, party!!!! Wait.. no... Just sauna and beer, and torning apart my Cutlass.

Been busy, as usual.

Welcome Moyock13.

Okay, have a good wednesday everyone. Damn, it turns to hump-day middle of my next work-shift.

Edit: Finally had little spare-time to egt my hands on Cutlass. Intake and drivers side head are off. Head-gasket was fine on drivers side, and valves too. Some "bridge" on cylinder wall at TDC. At weekend its passengers-side turn. The leaking head gasket must be there. Or otherwise its cracked head.
As a side note, that intake was some heavy b*itch to lift from engine bay with your hands due to its location, far away from every corner you could stand, and had to be lifted at one way since oil-fill tube prevented taking it out from front. I swear lifting cylinder head was far easier.

Last edited by Inline; May 17th, 2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old May 17th, 2017, 03:48 AM

Mawn'in

Nice day in the mountains

Spent yesterday helping my 89 YR friend run some errands, bank, grocery store, drug store Chic fil a etc.

I really like his handicapped sticker, I could get use to driving right up to the door and parking

Moyock13

Welcome aboard Where ya from?

Clint, I won't jinx ya by counting the days

John, How'd de Olds work go? Inquiring minds

Gotta beat feet back down the road and mow grass

Old May 17th, 2017, 04:38 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Inline, I'd tell you why its so hard to find good help but then Jamesbo would have to give me the boot for breaking the Terms of Service. Are you sure it's a head gasket? Is your symptom coolant in the oil? Have you ruled out a bad timing cover gasket?

Welcome to the Fray Moyock13.

A real nice kid. He had a bad day yesterday but we are gonna give it another go today. He has heart and a willingness to learn. We have a long way to go, but I hope it will be worth it.

Have a Humpday all.
Old May 17th, 2017, 06:33 AM
Captain Starfire

I didn't lay a finger on the Olds yesterday, but hope springs eternal in the human heart.... Wound up taking the bike out for a little ride in the 90* heat & then changing oil.
It's back to Aunt Carmy (meeting w/ staff re: her "plan") & then to the doc's today.
Happity Humpity, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; May 17th, 2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old May 17th, 2017, 01:19 PM

Evening all,

Rain, rain followed by a bit more rain but still quite warm in the 70s.

Inline, I worked nights years ago but I kept falling asleep, didn't last too long in that job!

Jamesbo, my wife had a handicapped sticker a few years back after she had major spinal surgery, one good thing is that you don't get your doors of the car knocked by inconsiderate parkers as the designated parking spaces are always much wider, plus you never have to park miles away from the shops. But, have you noticed that sometimes you go to a big shop and all of the disabled spaces are used but when you go in the shop there's no wheelchairs or walking frames and everybody seems to be walking fine, most peculiar!

My old dog seems to be getting worse, he's now forgotten where he's supposed to go to the toilet, I just went to the kitchen to get a beer out of the fridge and he has left me a nice big brown present in the middle of the floor, it's not worth me telling him off as he wouldn't hear me anyway.