The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:59 AM

Well, the rain that they predicted for us was underwhelming, but it appears that the St.Louis area got the brunt of it, water up to the signs on highway overpasses! and some bridges over rivers have water up and over the roadway, very nasty. I hope they pull through it o.k. Gotta drop the Saturn off next week to have a wheel bearing replaced, making a hell of a racket, hope it holds out until then.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:01 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', folks. Stormy today and will be worse tonight. I turned off all the A/Cs and put the b/u generator on auto 'cause I know it's just a matter of time before we lose power. It's blinked or gone totally off 4 different times since we got back Saturday, and today won't be any better.

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
John, I forgot to respond, sorry if you don't make it to Homecoming, it just would have been nice to meet you.
Thanks, Dan... I was looking forward to it, but it's such a long story, I can't relay it through this medium. Suffice it to say things are very different at Gene's nowadays. But if the Good Lord says the same, I'll be back up there eventually.

Sorry to hear, Clint. I think it's back on my "list" for you. Hang in there, hombre.

Y'all have a dry one, Olds friends.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:00 AM

Mawn'in

Since it's a new page, maybe, I'll have better luck

Brought another truck load of fire wood to the mountains, All the racks are full at both houses and haven't made a dent in the big red oak that fell.

Mike, Come get some

London,

No offense taken. My wife [a.k.a the super model] had an Xj vanden plas something or other. I've tried to put it out of my mind.She ate antennas in car washes and couldn't seem to keep dimes from falling into the cigar lighter. I actually bought a case of fuses just for the occasion.

So far I've had 2 Jags [hers and my ole E-type] One Healey 3000 and that's enough for me.

Every morning I'd pray before I turned the key that I'd hear the fuel pump clicking. If not, I'd open the trunk, take off my shoe and give it a few raps. That's not to bad on nice days but the novelty wears off when it's pouring rain and cold

Anyway, they are beautiful Why else would I go to a British car show.

BTW, I was talking to a Healey owner about how hot mine was in the summer. He insulated the tunnel with the same stuff Rob used on his Cutlass drop top thread here years ago Dynamat [When I was a pup, I had to settle for aluminum foil ]
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:59 PM
golden rocket

Picked up the Golden rocket (67 Delmont 88 425) from the muffler shop. Had exhaust manifolds planed, and dual installed. sounds nice and mellow like a big block should. Got the tune up parts today, so if not raining tomorrow will get them installed. Dose anyone know how to post pictures to this sight? Want to show off the golden girl.

mike
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:04 PM
golden rocket

Nice little English car: Berkley. Sort of underpowered, but it is a motorcycle engine, so swap if for a Kawasaki KZ1000 like the old Highway Patrol bikes had, scare the bejazus out of yourself and others when you jump on it.
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:58 AM

m

Beautiful day in the mountains but me thinks rain is on it's way

Red dog was chasing a tree rat yesterday and had a blow out. I think he's Ok but he was limping for a while. I asked him if he was gonna give up squirrels but I don't think it's in the cards

Golden, I hope ya don't drive that car near water. I've heard they don't float very well.

GTG

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 4th, 2017, 10:25 AM

Well, that damn Google phishing scam got me. Hopefully the steps that I took will cure it.
Old May 4th, 2017, 01:08 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I)I)&T^)*(&*)( lost a wonderful tome of a post

spent the am in the garden
afternoon mowing lawn around the grounds

sorry nothing pro found today
keep the shiny side up

I did have to fire up the 442 and move it to get mower out

ah yes stench of race gas and rumble brought out the neighbors

vroom vroom
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rain today. Not sure if it will continue. Sure has cooled things off.

Friday. My plans for this weekend went south, but I'm keeping tomorrow off anyway. I'll be busy busy next weekend and won't have any time to myself, so hopefully I can get something done this weekend, maybe have a little fun as well. Ya I know that's pushing it.

Not much else happening. My foot is still killing me. Might have to revisit the doctor and see if there's a stronger shot. Some people have this and it never goes away. I hope I'm not in that group.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:36 PM
golden rocket

Jamesbo at 3924 pounds why wouldn't it?
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:36 PM

Old May 5th, 2017, 05:23 AM

Mawn'in

Weather can't seem to make up it's mind this morning

Old May 5th, 2017, 07:20 AM
golden rocket

up and at 'em early today. IF I finish the "honey do" list, they can throw the dirt on me.

Have a goodin'
Old May 5th, 2017, 08:15 AM

Good evening.

Back from travel. Spend a night at some hostel, was working so far off that we stayed there overnight. Was cool.

God im tired. Now im watching IIHF2017 FIN-BLR ice-hockey match, then to sauna.
Then some BBQ, and to sleep. Tomorrow big old-car show where i live, then... yard work.
And monday Morning wake-up at 2...3am, not locked yet how early we will start.

Jamesbo - Good to hear you swinged your axe enough to fill all racks
I envy you, youve had E-type. Wow. I quess i need to change my profession to yours so i can afford such a car

golden rocket - Good that you like your new exhaust. They really make difference at car, how they sound.

Okay, good weekend everyone, have fun.
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
envy you, youve had E-type. Wow. I quess i need to change my profession to yours so i can afford such a car
One of the advantages of being an Old Phart, Ya got too buy toys before the prices went crazy
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:10 AM
CQR

Afternoon all.

Thanks John. I just keep pluggin away. It'll change sooner or later.

Dan, Sorry to hear you got caught. You'd think they'd have more important things to do.

Have a weekend.
Old May 6th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Sunny and cold. I turned the furnace on this morning to get rid of the chill in the house. Funny, it was still on AC from when it was hot last week. Ah, spring. Gonna be warm today but not too warm.

Jamesbo I have to say I didn't get what you were saying about the Delmont not floating, until Dan put up that picture. Though I could have guessed the VW came next. Yup. Anyone still have the Olds, in some macabre museum maybe? Hey it happens, someone still has Jane Mansfield's Buick.

Got all the problems solved at the Awful house this morning, so I think it will be house cleaning day. Lord I hope the vacuum cleaner is up to it. If I could only figure out some way to make money off the dog hair that is generated I'd be a millionaire quickly.

One time on some chat board someone said, Keep the shiny side up. And I said, well, for me, I want to keep the shiny side down. At the time our airplanes were painted on top and polished aluminum on the bottom. I guess that didn't come across because the person who said that was a truck driver and got all bent out of shape thinking I wanted him to crash.

Okay gonna get to it. If the guy in Macon calls me back about the Corvair he's selling I might not have to clean very long. Have a good day everyone.
Old May 6th, 2017, 07:19 AM

Mawn'in

Chili for this time of year

Guess Global warming hiccuped

Mike, Toss the dog hair in the yard, the birds use it for nest

Still killing ground hogs after my garden. I think they breed like rats

Golden, My Honey do list is a one way street. If I ever ask for something, it goes in the circular file

Old May 6th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Good evening folks.

What a day. Visited Classic Motor Show, was good! Alot of nice cars and stands there.
Even Oldsmobile Club of Finland had their own stand with rusted 98 4d ht 455 from somewhere around 70's.

Then we planted new cherry-tree to our yard, and alot of grass and flowers. To please fiancee

But on the bad side, i blew a head-gasket from my Olds
Not so nice.. Wondering where ill pull the time to replace them between all the yard-work and regular work And it still keeps that funky rattling noise.
Im at verge should i try my luck and just replace gaskets or just put my car to rest and build an whole new engine....

Anyways, have a good saturday guys. I just came from sauna, and soon going to do some BBQ and corn. And drink beer!
Old May 6th, 2017, 10:36 AM

Evening all

Inline. Just bite the bullet and go for a rebuild, that's the way I went, so much easier.

Interesting weekend. Friday night I got a call from my daughter saying that she was in the doctors office and I needed to drive her to the hospital, turns out she has a strangulated hernia after a crazy workout session in the gym. Fast forward to this morning and she is having emergency surgery. Operation went fine and she's on the mend. So last night I was on baby sitting duty for the Grandson. He is yet to master the word 'Granddad' so he calls me Gaga (not Lady Gaga)

I booked in the Cutlass for the first car show of the year next weekend, then the wife informs me that we have an appointment with a solicitor in Tenerife on Friday. Another plan gone wrong.

London weather report. Sunny, cloudy, wet, dry, warm, not so warm. I guess you call that changeable.
Old May 6th, 2017, 11:30 PM

Good Morning everyone.

Sunny but cold here. Promises rain for mon-fri..

LondonCutlass - Otherwise i would do that, but we have wedding at 1.7. And it should be driveable then, as it will serve us as wedding-car. And i think i cant pony up required money to do full build in 2 month window.

I was thinking last evening the situation, and i think i just replace gaskets and hope for best. And if my heads needs rebuilding, i might aswell rebuild 7A heads i have laying on the shelf.

Gonna start disassembling it today. And do some yard-work.

Have a good sunday everyone.
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:28 AM

Mawn'in

Anutter chili morning but spose to warm up this afternoon

London, Sorry about your daughter's misfortune but glad she's OK, I guess along with staying out of hospitals, staying out of gyms must be good for your health

Inline, I don't know what to tell ya, but it would be embarrassing to me to blow a gasket at a show

Mike, If ya go to the Aweful House every day and solve the world's problems, how come the world is still FUBAR

Mowed and mowed and mowed yesterday, then weed whacked, Glad that's over for a few days

Made [actually copied and pasted] a political post on my FB Emory alumni page, which was promptly removed. Sooooooooooo I just posted the same thing on my time line. Got 3 phone calls from buds that ax me WTF happen to my post on the alumni page I guess Emory is following Berkley when it comes to free speach they don't wanta hear

That's OK, They just got the last dime they'll get from me

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old May 7th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

London prayers for your daughter. Hope she gets better quick. I've never heard of a strangulated hernia. Though I think I'll stick with the gout.

Jamesbo I don't go every day, just when I'm off work. So the world has plenty of time to screw up what we fix when I'm there.

So yesterday I was going to go to Macon to look at a car. I had emailed the fellow late the previous night and said, these are my questions, I'll call you tomorrow. Went to CL to get the phone number, and the ad is gone. Presumably he sold the car but in typical fashion for the day, I don't get a response to my email, just a big F-U. I mean, why would anyone want to be courteous these days?

Gonna be another winning day, weather-wise. Might spin around blind-folded in the yard and point to a random vehicle to work on. If I hurry home from the Awful house I can wash something before 10.

Okay Tiger is getting impatient, so off we go. Have a good day everyone.
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:04 PM

London, I hope all goes well for your daughter, my mother had that when I was a wee tyke, over 5 decades ago, and she almost died, I heard about it around ten years ago, not knowing how close we were to losing her. My brother had it when he was about 2 years old, before I was born, about 62 years ago. Medicine is much improved these days. I wonder if it genetic in our family.
Old May 8th, 2017, 02:38 AM

Tis Monday so off on a chili day to smack whitey around

Old May 8th, 2017, 06:21 AM
CQR

Mornin.

London, hope she heals quickly.

Gonna be another warm one.

Have a day.
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got the morning's errands done and problems solved and now on to important things, like going to the shop and working on cars. How nice it would be to have utilities over there.

Anybody ever use the flat rate boxes at the Post Office? For the smallest one it's like 7 bucks to send something, that seems like a ripoff. Seems like I could put it in my own box and send it cheeper. Is there an advantage to the flat rate if I'm sending something not heavy?

Looked at the 57 yesterday, was gonna pour that coating stuff in the gas tank but the instructions said it has to be absolutely pristine(and if it were I wouldn't need the coating) and then use some primer first, then.. then.. With all their time limits and whatnot it would take me a week to do this. So I thought I'll just get a new tank. Now a friend of mine says to put lemon juice, rock salt, and ice into the tank and take it for a ride down a bumpy road. So anyway I abandoned that project for the day and took some more parts off the Amphicar. Another not easy project. Eh.

London hope the daughter is doing well.

Okay gotta do something. Have a good day everyone.
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:48 AM

Dropped the Saturn off today to replace a wheel bearing. While there, they were going to look for a possible leak in the engine area...found it, leaking around the timing chain cover, a ten hour job @ $95 an hour, I told them to let it leak.
Old May 8th, 2017, 11:11 AM

Good evening.

Long day at work. Was total BS. God im stressed about it, now when ive learned principle pretty well, but it all dont come automatically, meaning i need to stop and thing etc, im far behind schedules. Even i cutted all breaks today, i was still behind. Geezuz..

LondonCutlass - All the best for her, hope she heals well.

Okay, good monday-evening everyone. See you.
Old May 8th, 2017, 12:16 PM

I'm trying to figure out what rock salt, water and lemon would do to your fuel lines and carb
Old May 8th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Always room for one more

Um, Jamesbo, the tank is out of the car and it would go for a ride in the back of the pickup. Afterward it gets a good rinse and if it looks good I might forego the coating.

Beautiful here. Spent a little time at the shop spraying wasps and also went to the dr. The stupid gout just won't go away and besides getting another shot I have to take medicine. Sheesh. Well, lots of people have worse things.

Summit tonight. I bet I can count on one or zero fingers the number of Oldsmobiles that will be there. Eh, who cares it's a car show.
Old May 8th, 2017, 03:25 PM

Thanks, Now it's beginning to make a little sense.Still seems to me that it would get beat up riding back there
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Always room for one more

Not to worry. Some guys at the show tonight re-convinced me to get a new tank. They said it would be the best 90 bucks I ever spent. I tend to agree with them.

Well, one Oldsmobile tonight. A light blue white top 73 Delta 88 convertible. Nice looking car. One Corvair as well, a 66 110 automatic. Lots of Mustangs. They got all the awards big surprise. Since it was Ford night all the Corvettes parked way in the back and left early. Something to be said about solidarity.

Work tomorrow, so I'm staying up way late tonight so I can sleep in. Went to the dr this afternoon and got another shot for my foot, and the pain is now all but gone. Still got medicine he wants me to take so that's okay. Anything to prevent a recurrence. Geez that $hit is painful.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:14 AM

Mawn'in

Again chili but warming up

London, How the daughter doing?

Clint,Man or man that was some kind of hail you got. Hope the insurance company does ya right

Mike, I vote for a new one and quite fiddle pharting around trying to clean the old one up. But I know the real vote comes at the Aweful House

$95 dollars and hour They could be plumbers

John, Joseph [when he comes from Amazon] is gonna be planted at my friends mom's lake house. Please say some special incantations for her

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:23 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, I hope so too. Problem is I hate making a claim. One of my employees had bad hail made a claim they got him a new roof, gutter, soffits etc. then it hailed the next year and they dropped him.

I'm one of the cheapest in town at $95/hour. Most of the places around here are $120/hr and higher.

For those who didn't see here is the hail we got at the house.

And this was just a few blocks away.

And here is the kids Celica.

Have a day.
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Captain Starfire

Haven't felt much like posting lately... but hope everybody's recovering from his and her maladies (London's daughter & Mike).

Jamesbo, good luck. Let's all encant, since there are lots of things to encant about.

Here's another: Better Half's Mom is in hospital in Peoria with pneumonia and signs of congestive heart failure. B.H. flew up Saturday to be with her. Hope she gets better soon; but at 92, it's up to her & the Man Upstairs. Rehab (if she can go thru it) will be difficult, at best. Don't see her driving again, and that will be a major factor in how things shake out. And probably no living alone anymore unless a miracle happens. Aunt Jean had CHF for years before she finally succumbed. (She couldn't do the rehab regimen.)

Inline, sorry it was so zany at work.

Hope you recover from that hail storm, Clint. That's rough. You guys always seem to be a bulls-eye for every weather quirk in the nation. I thought we were bad....

It was a momentous day in the garage yesterday. After buying the thing 4 years ago, I blasted my first item in my "new" blasting cabinet. Wow~! I chose an antique metal floor-lamp I had snatched from my paternal grandparents' house 30 years ago, which has been in various phases of storage since then. I had run three separate paint stripping sessions on it, and there were still traces of white paint on it. But it was originally gold (I actually thought it was bronze or copper). But it was steel and cast iron. 'Twill look great when I finish it and find a suitable shade for it. Blasting of car parts is soon to follow.

Y'all have a Tuesday, Olds amigos.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; May 9th, 2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:40 AM

So sorry to hear that John, prayers sent
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:35 PM

Evening all

John. I pray for the best for you.

Clint, damn, I'm glad we don't see that over here

Thank you everyone for your kind words, daughter is so much better and back on her feet, however looking after a 2 and half year old is a no go so I'm being the dutiful grandpa, I love it really but I won't tell her that!

I've put off my trip to The Canary Islands till the following week as my better half will look after daughter this weekend, which is quite handy for me as there is a massive car show this Sunday which I booked today, there are three other Olds already booked so it should be good with over 2000 cars attending, perhaps I will take some photos just so Jamesbo can truely appreciate how British cars 'run' (sorry, I just can't stop myself)

Weather bit chilly but no rain, we've actually had one of our driest winters and spring in a generation. Improving to mid 70s next week.
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:56 PM
MOTORHEAD

good dog day today

dog rescues man
man rescues dog

was out of doors today
wallyeyes friend stopped by

angel dawg

fenced yard is nice for dog park action
Old May 9th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful today. Went to bed around 4 this morning, slept good until 7, then catnapped until 10, then just was awake until noon. Decided to get up and get something done. Did a few little things around the house and now it's time for work.

Tiger doesn't do well with other dogs so we could never go to the dog park. My other two loved the dog park, when we were there by ourselves, but if someone else came we had to leave, because my boy didn't do well with other dogs, either.

London I like British cars. Had the notion I wanted a Bugeye Sprite for years, until I followed one to the Awful house one morning and stood next to it. Nope.

John will your machine do a good job on wheels? I probably have two dozen wheels I need to media blast and paint. Oh it was so nice to use that machine at work. Ah, well... PS not saying I want you to do them, just looking for a machine I can buy for the house.

Clint that's down right disgusting. When we had that big storm here a few years ago I heard the government (State I assume) covered most of the claims because the dollar amount reached so high. Not sure why that would be, that's just what I heard.

John, encant wasn't in the dictionary.

Did I say work? It's Monday, and the first week in a month that I have to work 4 days in a row. Now that's disgusting. I know one guy is going to be gone all week, and another will take most of it off, just so he doesn't have to work harder to pick up the other one's slack. Eh, it's not like we break our backs every day what's the big deal.

Okay ready to hit it. Have a good evening everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; May 9th, 2017 at 03:57 PM.