The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Always room for one more

Old February 12th, 2017, 01:40 PM

Red would love to meet him

They could lay on the sofa and watch Red's favorite TV show
Animal Planet
Old February 12th, 2017, 02:13 PM

Mike. Congratulations on your new boy. Sure is a handsome one.
What's his name?
Old February 12th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Always room for one more

His name is Tiger. I couldn't come up with a name, so I chose Tiger, like the Brady Bunch's dog. Other contenders were Corsa, Starfire, Augie, he didn't seem like any of those. The shelter placed named him Grizzle. How odd.

We've had a good afternoon. After jumping in the lake we played in the back yard to dry off, then came in and did laundry. We've napped a lot. Went back out and fixed the yard so he can't get down to the lake(for now). Now it's time for our supper. Wonder if he likes Awful house?
Old February 12th, 2017, 02:59 PM

Did cha name him after
Old February 12th, 2017, 06:09 PM
Always room for one more

Wow it's nice seeing my boy at the top of the page every time I log in!

Had a great afternoon. We're now sleeping on the couch and snoring.

So, wanted to get some opinions on a couple cars. I'm thinking we'd do better with a different dogmobile. The blue van is really too big for one dog and looking forward, we may be making lots of trips to and from Florida and said van will put me in the poor house.

I want something with double doors in back. I've settled on three vehicles. First gen Ford Transit Connect, early-mid 00s Land Rover Discovery, Mini Clubman.

London I hoped you'd have an inside track on the Discovery. Anyone else have any experience with these vehicles? They can all be had for under 10K, anything to look out for on any of them? Clint do you ever get them in the shop?

Thanks you guys.
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:20 PM

Mike, congrats on getting a new shepherd. The Rover and all Mini's have a poor quality record, with Mini scoring at the bottom of the quality charts since it was introduced here.
Old February 12th, 2017, 11:28 PM

Good Morning.

This week its promised few days with temps on plus side. Spring is coming!

Gah cant wait tomorrow

Have a good new week everyone.
Old February 13th, 2017, 01:49 AM

Mike. The disco is reasonable bullet proof but can be a bit thirsty, a lot of people here have converted them to run on LPG, which is less than half the price of regular gas. Look for some kind of service history and regular oil changes. I used to have a transit connect, ok but a bit boring, however I never had any mechanical issues with it.
I am surprised that 1969w3155 say the mini is bottom of the quality list, over here they are held in high esteem, being made by BMW quality is never an issue, perhaps they don't travel well or maybe US regulations doesn't do them any favours.
So, if it were me I would be torn between the tranny and the disco, and I'm not sure what I would end up with.

One car that I used to have that would also fit the bill is the Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero but you have to find a good one. I did 100k miles on mine and it never let me down once. I know Mitsubishi have a bad rep over your side but I have now had four and I will 100% get another at some point

Last edited by LondonCutlass; February 13th, 2017 at 01:57 AM.
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:42 AM

Mawn'in

Beautimus day to smack whitey around

Mike, I'm sure you know this but Tiger needs to learn early that the car is fun. Take in on alot of very short trips [not to the vet] like the park or the shop

I wouldn't take him as far as Florida until he loves car rides

GTG have a great day Olds friends

Oh, My FB page reminded me that 7 years ago my buddy Donny, salvaged and ole yardage marker when the golf course was being rebuilt. He customized it just for me
Old February 13th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Night One was a success. We slept all night in my bedroom barely stirring. He didn't know what to think when it was bedtime, kept pacing around in the dark house, so I closed the door of the bedroom and he laid right down.

Jamesbo the people said he likes to ride in the car, so I figured I'd take him with me whenever I could. That's the reason for the new dog van. We'd only go to Florida if I got a job there, and that doesn't look like it will be in the near future.

London thanks for the reviews, and everybody. The Transit Connect was new when I got Sparky and Jetta, but I couldn't get into the back with them from the driver's seat, and they were 21K+ and I couldn't swing that. Since Tiger is the only one I can reach inside a double door and grab on to him.

Funny about Mitsubishi. When I was in high school I worked at a Chevy place that also sold Mitusbishi's(and Peugots). At the time, the Mitsu Tredia was considered the worst new car. The Starion was a blast to drive, but there were a lot of warranty claims for the turbo. I always liked the Montero, but not sure I'd want an 80s Mitsu these days.

So, errands today. Need to hit PetSmart to get some chew toys and a decent collar, but we'll start out at Awful house.

Happy Monday everyone.
Old February 13th, 2017, 06:32 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike congrats an the new pup. He's stunning.

Mike and Dan, you were not supposed to be able to get a factory w30 with A/C. That was what I saw. I like the white because it reminds me of Granddad's I would have liked the Pinstripes tho.

Well we did a thorough cleaning of the kids bedroom yesterday.We're not going to convert it as she may move back in.

I bought another ATV on Friday. Not sure how to tell the missus. Oh well. ts a classic and should only increase in value.

Have a day.
Old February 13th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Captain Starfire

Congrats, Mike~~! He really is a handsome lad. And as the puppy Vulcans would say, "May Tiger live long & prosper~!"

Y'all have a great rest o'Monday, Olds friends.
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:08 PM

beautiful day

Played good in the front side 42

then found my game
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Captain Starfire

Kinda like the Falcons? (Ouch! I know that hurt!)
Old February 13th, 2017, 05:04 PM

London, I think that a Mini with a manual trans would be a hoot to drive, but every year they release the quality ratings, and it gets poor reviews, both the Rover and Mini were mentioned recently, and it wasn't good. I would love to have a 90's Defender 90 (last available here in 1997 I think), but they cost just as much now as they did then, and then some, going from $45,000-$60,000.
Old February 13th, 2017, 05:06 PM

I'll poke around on C.O. for a little longer, and then get the ice pack out of the freezer and recline as I had sinus surgery earlier today..ouch.
Old February 13th, 2017, 05:10 PM

Speaking of Defenders, they don't need a Chevy under the hood: http://autoweek.com/article/drive-re...&utm_campaign=
Old February 13th, 2017, 07:51 PM

Good Morning.

1969w3155 - Uh, those Defenders. Finnish Army has plenty of those at use for mainly MP, and of course to others too. They were newer of course, but i can imagine they werent better before. We drove those pretty much, and i cant remember single guy liking those. They werent meant to excel in paved road, but still. They were very harsh to ride, and clunky gearbox. They have very narrow seats, and pedals were somehow funky, all 3 were really close to each other, and they were positioned towards middle of the car, not in line of your feets when you did sit normally at your seat.
Everybody drove alot more likely those Mercedes-Benz G's that we also had. They were awesome, and did go anywhere where that Defender did. Plus they were joy to ride at paved road too.

Have a tuesday everyone!

Last edited by Inline; February 13th, 2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old February 14th, 2017, 02:33 AM

Mawn'in

Another pretty day

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee
Kinda like the Falcons? (Ouch! I know that hurt!)
John, The Super model showed me one of those posters that hang in restaurants about what to do if a customer is choking. Someone had added a new 1st line "Remove Falcon helmet"

Mike, ya don't really need a reason to buy a car. I would think Tiger would like to ride in anyone of the cars in your fleet

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old February 14th, 2017, 03:45 AM

Oh yeah! Got the job. Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question anymore is, do i go to paver-group to drive asphalt paver near our capital,
or do i go travel around whole Finland with cold milling machine group.

Great day. Must heat sauna and go buy few beer
Old February 14th, 2017, 04:15 AM

Inline. Congratulations on the new job. Also happy ystavanpaiva day.

1969w3155. Sinus surgery ouch. I had a deviated septum which was shaved back. Damn uncomfortable.
Old February 14th, 2017, 04:53 AM

Thanks. And Happy Valentines day for you, and others too.

Beer is at fridge now, next i eat and then ill go heat sauna. Great way to celebrate.
That cold-milling machine work would interest me more, off all "dirt jobs" on paving industry, those are the ones who can earn the most if theres healthy flow of work-orders.
When orders are on, they have basically no limits how long days they can do, as they just keep up. Just due to simple fact cold-milling is so much slower than paving it back, and cold-milling machines and groups are far less than paving groups.
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:28 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Dan, hope you get to feeling better.

Happy VD

Got a sick pup, need to clean up what he's leaving behind

Have a day.
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:28 AM

I had a deviated septum which was shaved back. Damn uncomfortable.
I second that opinion!
Old February 14th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

It's Monday. Seems like it was a really long weekend. I've been hearing of some discord at work, hope it's cleared up by tonight.

Went to the grocery store last night and the boy had to stay home. He was in his room while I was gone, and when I came home saw he had chewed on the door frame a little and tried to move a big piece of plywood that's leaning against the wall. So not bad for a first time. Tonight he gets to be in there all night. We'll see how he likes that.

Jamesbo you could have stopped at the first half of that sentence. No I don't need a reason to buy a car. However, as I learned in the past, I don't like what having a dog in the car does to the car. Dog hair all over, things torn up from feet, being chewed on, etc. He'll be a lot more comfortable if he can get up and move around a little, and stretch out on a long trip. I wonder if the sellers would mind if I brought him along for the test drive.

Hope you're doing better this evening Dan. Went to an ear, nose, throat doctor once because I was having trouble with my left ear, she ordered an MRI, did all this weird stuff, said everything looked great, then wanted to do surgery on my sinuses anyway. I said for what? She said just to be sure. Well I was sure I wasn't going to have surgery.

Okay time to hit it. Hope everyone hasn't overdone it on chocolate today. Although I don't see how that's possible. Have a good evening everyone.
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:00 PM

Doing better Mike, still getting sinus headaches which probably won't go away until the swelling and healing is done. Californiacarcover has seat covers to protect the seat from dog hair etc. http://www.calcarcover.com/productlist/188/Pet_Travel by the way, it's Tuesday, unless it's Monday for your work schedule.

Last edited by 1969w3155; February 14th, 2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:08 PM

Good Morning everybody.

Its Wednesday Now that all stress about work is over, i might go back to tinker with my Cutlass. Currently at the point where i need to install it back under the car, otherwise its done, the rear-project. 2.41's to 3.23's should be pretty noticeable swap. Hope it burns rubber now With 2.41 and tired smog-350 no chance even without locker

Somehow i missed totally your post on top of the page showing your new friend, slantflat. And therefore was wondering about some writes there
Looks like a great friend.

Last edited by Inline; February 15th, 2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old February 15th, 2017, 03:58 AM

Mawn'in

Elsie's ere this mawn'in

Mike, If you think dogs make a mess of a car, ya need to get married. Coffee cups, curlers, french fries

If he likes to ride in the car, I'd take him to the Awful House and let him wait while you dine [using the term loosely] maybe bring him a treat when you're thru

Did ya see that a Shepard won the Westminster dog show?

Dan, Hope you"re feeling better. Thank goodness that's one health issue, I've avoided

Clint, How's the part timer doing this week?

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 15th, 2017, 05:24 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, She suddenly remembered she had a follow up appt with the Dr yesterday morning. By 11:00 I told not to worry coming in as I had it handled. Not sure if she'll show today or not. Honestly at this point I don't care.

Inline. that should make a difference. I need to get my swap done before the season starts too. I'm taking out a 3.23 and putting in a 3.73.

Mike I hope he fares well being alone.

Have a humpday all.
Old February 15th, 2017, 05:41 AM

How did you like that 3.23? Id go steeper too, but ill drive it so much, on highway too.
If all goes as planned ( nothing breaks), this year its going to see ~5,5-6k miles approx.
I believe i would hate anything over 3.42 in a long run, no matter how fun it would be from stoplight to stoplight.

Last edited by Inline; February 15th, 2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old February 15th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Captain Starfire

Happity Humpity, all....

Happy for your work situation, Inline. Break a leg (not!).

Clint, sure hope you can find somebody to help at work. That's really pathetic. But I don't want to get started this early in the morning.

Dan, sure hope you get to feelin' better. That'll certainly require a bit of convalescence.

Mike, I know your paramount concern is the pup's well being and comfort... Better Half & I found -- after toting Loretta 1300 mi each way up to Michigan 5 or 6 times -- that she fared much better in a kennel. We bought a big collapsible one for her to use on the trips & it was a new lease on life for her. She slept like a pup most of the way up, and we'd just stop for her every couple hundred miles. Additionally, it would protect her a bit more in an accident. (It's really just a big cage.) It would work great for the blue van! I'm sure a bit of hair would get scattered around, but there would be no other collateral damage to the vehicle from Tiger. Jamesbo, you could buy one yourself to keep the French fries & curlers confined to one spot.

Have a great one, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 15th, 2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old February 15th, 2017, 05:56 AM

John, I don't think de Super Model could drive while in a kennel

But, I'm intrigued by the idea
Old February 15th, 2017, 02:09 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by slantflat
His name is Tiger. Other contenders were Corsa, Starfire, Augie, he didn't seem like any of those. The shelter placed named him Grizzle. How odd.

We've had a good afternoon. After jumping in the lake we played in the back yard to dry off, then came in and did laundry. We've napped a lot. Went back out and fixed the yard so he can't get down to the lake(for now). Now it's time for our supper. Wonder if he likes Awful house?
Congrats! I don't have to tell you Tiger comes from a proud line of winners since the GS dusted the competition at the Westminister Show a day or two ago. My boy Deacon (Golden Retriever) would love to meet him.

If the shelter had named him Grizzard, that would have been great. Hope you two have many days of car riding together! Maybe one day when fuel is really cheap I'll bring the 5 ton down that way and we can go terrorize the neighborhood!
Old February 15th, 2017, 02:41 PM

Ugh, dragging today, a lot of pressure on the noggin. Feel like I took a step backwards.
Old February 15th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice today, and I forgot how much of the day I can see when I'm sleeping. Kind of cold. Gonna be arctic tonight.

So we did okay in our room last night. The carpet(what is left of it) was pulled up and chewed, but otherwise the room still does what it should, contain the beast. Not sure if the carpet mess was from the thunder storm we got just before I got home, or anxiety or rebellion from being left alone. But we got it fixed up okay.

I saw that the Shepherd won the show. That's really something. My Mom used to watch the dog shows and she said the Shepherds won all the time. Then people got mad that they did and then they'd never get picked just for the sake of picking something else.

The biggest thing I had with the dogs making a mess in the car was that it was the car I drove every day. And it was really too small for them. That's why I got the blue van, so they could mess it up all they wanted. Now, looking forward to potentially many road trip miles, as well as trips around town, I just want something a little more economical. And since it's just the one dog now, I don't need anything quite so big. Make no mistake, the blue van is sticking around. I love me my G20 Beauvilles.

Dan it's just a pressure change outside. Soothing thoughts, soothing thoughts...

Work was a disaster last night. We had three mechanics and 14 planes. We were short a mech because he had to be acting lead. I had about 40 items to complete and we got a late start, so acting lead rode with me. Mixed up parts, planes not where they were supposed to be, conflicting paperwork, I didn't get out until after 6. Hope tonight is a might easier on us.

Jamesbo I need a recipe that uses ricotta cheese. My neighbor gave me a brand new container of it.

Clint you know this girl is telling all her friends, my boss is so cool, he lets me take off whenever I want!

Okay time to get going. Need to get back in to a routine. Hope everyone enjoyed Hump Day. Have a good evening everyone.
Old February 16th, 2017, 04:37 AM

Good Morning.

Was doing car today. Well, rear is on, just needs oil inside and few rubber-parts anymore.

Soon i have to wash car, since fiancee leaves for weekend with it, and wants it to be clean.. Quess she washes it at sunday..? No hopes..

Well, have a thursday everyone.
Old February 16th, 2017, 04:54 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Inline, The 3.23's were a little low for the 70+mph I want to drive. It would have the motor working a little to high of an RPM for my tastes. then I put the OD tranny in it and now it's running too low of an RPM to put it in the main jets. So I think the 3:73 will be just right. I should be around 2500RPM at cruising speed.

Mike she showed up an hour late yesterday after texting me her kids missed the bus. She pretty much quit and picked up her paycheck and then left. She is supposed to come in today and finish up the Honda she's working on, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Have a great day.
Old February 16th, 2017, 05:02 AM

Mawn'in

A little chili dis mawn'in

Mike, just make sum toast, smear it on there, and a slice of mater and drizzle with sum evoo

Clint, Sounds like the dog ate my homework type. Good riddance

Brian, What's the top spreed on a 5 ton [downhill wit a good tail wind}

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old February 16th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Captain Starfire

A mite nippy in da swamp. Hit 30s last night, but headed back to about 80 by Sunday.

Clint, how much an hour did you pay the cretin? I'm so glad I don't have to hire anybody. I can't even get my wall built. At this point, we're going to have to find somebody else and essentially write off what we've already spent, since Mike's underworld connections didn't pan out. BTW, is "crusin'" about 80? I guess 2500 at that speed is good. The SF spins up more than I'd like it to above 60 or so; but I'll have to live with that. If I'm not mistaken, it has a 3.42 single-wheel-drive in it. Ridiculous, IMHO.

Inline, have you ever heard any Julia Fordham? (She's a "Woman of the '80s.")

Better luck at the hanger tonight, Mike. So did I hear a big "No" on the kennel? I was actually going to tell you that the same kennel would probably work wonders at the casa when you're away. What you might think is cruel for the pup might actually bring the dude some big-time security. He can't do anything outside the cage when you're gone that he can't do in it. OK... I'm done -- I promise.

It's off to "Red Stick" to visit our buddies, Costco & Trader Joe's. Just got back from bringing Aunt Carmy her favorite, a McDonald's Hotcake Breakfast. As a reward, the restored WSW motor & pump were waiting in front of the house when I returned. Sure looks great... the "after" picture is forthcoming.

Y'all have a great Thursday, Olds buds.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 16th, 2017 at 08:23 AM.