The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old January 15th, 2017, 02:12 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got a lot done yesterday despite my impromptu nap late in the afternoon. My neighbor called and woke me up. She said, do you want dinner? I think I was half way there before I was fully awake. She had roasted chicken and mac and cheese. Holy Toledo it was good.

Didn't get anything done on the wall yesterday but I did buy a bunch of block and some mortar, and hiked it down to the lake. That may be what prompted the nap. This afternoon when it warms up I'll get down there and get going.

After Awful house today I'm going to the junkyard. I haven't been there in over a month, and I've noticed on my trips past that they have a few new rows. It will be good entertainment for a buck. Heck I might find something I need. Though any more it's late model stuff, even 90s stuff is getting rare.

Well have a good Sunday everyone.
Old January 15th, 2017, 04:17 AM

Mawn'in

Cooler in de hills

I think it's time for a CO pool. Y'all send me 20 bucks each, and I'll send you a numbered square. When either John's or Mike's wall gets finished.The winner with the correct date of completion will get the pool [less handling fees of course]

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 15th, 2017, 08:19 AM

Evening.

Filled another job application. That would be interesting, it offers the option to travel all over the Finland doing roads, and meanwhile sleep in motels/hostels etc.
Now that would be interesting!

Jamesbo - No thanks I quess were all long gone before atleast John's wall gets done And i bet your counting on that, and spending all that money
Old January 15th, 2017, 08:25 AM

Good morning all.

Didn't know that it would show if I deleted a message. Why is it we have all lost long messages we were writing without a hint of their existence but when you want to delete one they leave a reminder?

I submitted my reply before I noticed there were more on the next page so wanted to remove it and start from scratch. Didn't work out that well.

Feeling under the weather today so plan on hibernating all day. Nothing other than that to report.

Inline, what model years would they be? Going back to 14 years old they are still around $10k CAD around here. Converted $10k Canadian to Euro that is still over 7k.

Before I consider any pools, I'll need to study what this wall completion is, haven't had time to catch up on the posts before my most recent return.
Old January 15th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Always room for one more

Paul I'm repairing the seawall that is holding my back yard from falling into the lake, and John is building retaining walls around his house. I have no experience/knowledge/talent for doing this and John has hired a goof who won't come to work. At this point it's anyone's guess who will finish first.

The junkyard was a bust. But it's warm out so after I eat this turkey sandwich I'll be out in the lake doing something. Perhaps a wall will come of it.
Old January 15th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Captain Starfire

Afternoon, all.... got back at almost midnight from our friends' home last night; artichokes were spendiferous.... and they fixed prime rib with "smashed" potatoes. I now have a food hangover.

As far as the walls, I'd say it's a race to the finish (Finnish?).

Jamesbo, here's a good one for you: My dear old Grandfather used to say "Mark it on ice" when we owed him money. Not sure whether he coined the phrase, but that meant as soon as the ice melted, the debt was forgiven. So front me that 2-spot for the pool and mark it on ice please. (BTW, I'm bettin' on Mike.)

Mike, iffin' a junk yard ain't got nuttin' before '90s, I'd have no interest. BTW, calling my guy a "goof" is like calling Charles Manson a petty criminal.

Gene's got a gorgeous Highlander (either a '15 or '16) that his caretakers are ridin' hard & puttin' up wet. It's a shame.. but I guess he has very little choice. My cousin showed up about 6 mos. ago in a gorgeous new black 4 Runner. I told her what my Dad used to tell me, "Nice to be rich."

Have a great rest o'Sunday, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 15th, 2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old January 15th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the wall explanation Mike.

John, that is a nice 4runner your cousin has. New or even close to it was out of my budget though.
Old January 15th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Captain Starfire

Originally Posted by car_designer
John, that is a nice 4runner your cousin has. New or even close to it was out of my budget though.
Thanks, Paul. Mine too.
Old January 15th, 2017, 11:47 PM

Good Morning.

Got an answer from the second Place where i put my application yesterday, They kinda promised job, but its out in the air where i go, and suggested to call back after two weeks when the group-leaders come back from holidays. Promising.

Also today i go pick up my motor-trans packet. When i bought my Accord, the sales included another engine and manual trans taken from junked car for spares. It cost me 200$ extra, and i counted i cant lose money on it in any way. I just grab alternator and starter from it, and put it for sale.

car-designer - Sorry, my bad. I somehow missed the age thing, just gone to our local car-sale site and looked for 4Runners. Didnt realise that at here the newest ones are something like ~94.... So even 10 years older than yours. Apologises.

Bee_Oh_Pee - Not sure what you meant with that " race to the finish" ?
Old January 16th, 2017, 03:03 AM

Mawn'in

Tis Monday, so guess what?

My golfing bud bought himself a new Rustang GT, I'm hoping to cut some circles this mawn'in

Will report back

Old January 16th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Yesterday I got 21 blocks and 3 bags of mortar put down. Yes I tend to waste a lot of mortar. I also did a little primitive tucking of cracks and whatnot on some other places.

Looks like another beautiful day shaping up. I'm loving this warm weather but I know it won't last. Eh, I'll take what I can get. I'll go get some more stuff for the wall this afternoon. I have some errands to run this morning, after Awful house of course.

Thought about getting a shipping container and putting it at the shop, and using it as restoration home base for the Amphicar. I'd set up some shelves and have everything in one place(not in the living room) and when the car is done, use it for storage or the next car. They're like 2000 bucks, I guess I could just add that to the cost of the restoration.

Okay time to head out. Have a good Milk Day everyone.
Old January 16th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, all... Gee, so glad today's a holiday here on these shores.

Whackum good, Jamesbo; and bring us some donuts back.

Mike, we need a few pic's of your endeavours (spelt that way in London's honour). BTW, I watched the episode of My Classic Car that featured the Amphicar. Didn't you say you were there at the filming? That was some sweet example.

Inline, just kiddin' that Mike & I are racing to get our walls finished. Couldn't help but joke a bit about the words "finish" & "Finnish" (in your honour, of course).

Dan, my brother & SIL have a nice Subaru Outback; I think I'd consider one iffin' I were in the market. They've had very good service with it thus far (2-3 yrs?). As for me, I have to take the Avalon back to the dealer for brake rotor rust yet again tomorrow. I really need to have 'em replaced... I think these rotors are of bum quality.

Clint, where you B?

Y'all have a great Monday, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 16th, 2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:52 PM

Good evening all.

It was a meh day today. Weather was great, but I wasn't feeling well. Even missed bowling tonite, but sounds like my team took most of the points for the night.

No worries Inline.

John, this is my first experience with non-Big 3 so we'll see how it goes.

Jim, I wish I could say Rustang was just a joke, but from my experience not so much. Even some of the aluminum parts are corroding.

So is Mike taking the lead in the wall building?

Have a great week everyone.
Old January 16th, 2017, 07:21 PM

Good Morning.

Woke up early to cook some porridge for my fiancee, she loves it.
Thank god she leaves to work soon. Theres times when i go totally nuts from music she listens I listen old music, 70's being my favourite, and she listens the most current top-of-the-list hiphop/pop whatever that crazy **** is To be fair, she dont like my music either.

Today i probably put my surplus Honda rims for sale, and maybe sell few old motorcycling clothes. Someone was just interested. Would get them out of way. Now i also have surplus 2.0 VTEC + 6 speed manual. It was included to my deal from the Accord as those rims were. Who wanna buy?

Yesterday i visited at garage, and that did the trick, got my itch back! Now if i just get my ring gear bolts i could go for take 2.

Bee-Oh-Pee - Ah okay

Have a nice Tuesday everyone.
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:35 PM

John, I'm surprised that you have rust issues on your ty-ota brakes, my buddy had a 2010 Corolla, and at 90k miles he only had to replace the front pads, did not even have to turn the rotors. Subaru's have a bit of a cult following, seems the owners really are loyal to them, though oddly enough, they don't rate as high as Toyota, or Honda and Hyundai.
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:09 AM

Mawn'in

Still warm

Played pretty good fer an ole phart yesterday 42/43

My bud's rustang is nice and has all the bells and whistles. I may be the last person on earth that doesn't talk to their car. Well, I have spoken to a few cars [ the hood tooth on my 69 comes to mind but they weren't listening (&%)(&^$&&)&*()

Well, Mike's in the lead wall builidng wise but John's ahead dollar spent wise. Mike, Please tell me you put in new footings

Clint, Where ya at?

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by jamesbo
..but john's ahead dollar spent wise. ..
Ouch!!!
Old January 17th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

My first weekend off is done and it was great. I can finally hold good days off. And I can hold dayshift, even though I don't want it. Wow.

Jamesbo the current(what's left of it) wall has a footing and I'm just building on top of that. When the repairs are done it will all be filled with concrete, further helping its strength. If it falls over again, it's staying like that.

No work on the wall yesterday or today. Not gonna get done like that. I was going to use some cement I had in the crawlspace to fill in what I've already got up, but surprise surprise, it was solid as a rock. It's only been there for a year. By the time I got to working, it was too late to get new stuff and start, so I cleaned up in the lake a little and around the yard. Today I slept until after 2.

John I think My Classic Car has been at a couple of our shows. If it was the one I was at, you will see the back of my car for a brief second as he walks past, and one of the times it comes back from commercial it shows me in the lake for several seconds. Light blue car with no side trim.

Work tonight. Gonna be a few new people. Rain might come up later on, glad it stayed away this weekend. Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 17th, 2017, 03:16 PM

Evening all

Not much to report. Waiting for my mortgage offer before putting in an offer for the new house. Finishing the redec of my house before it goes on the market. Boring.

Weather still a bit chilly but not too bad. Wife wants me to get rid of my beautiful Alpina and get a Range Rover, what do you lot think?

Mike, Bee-oh-Pee. Why are you reading this? Stop slacking, those walls won't build themselves you know! Or that's what my wife would say!

Have a great day

Have a great day.
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:26 PM

Good Morning.

Again porridge-day for fiancee.

LondonCutlass - **** NO! Keep your Alpina! Your wife does just well with Scenic

Have a nice wedn.... sauna day everyone!
Old January 17th, 2017, 09:22 PM

Have to post. One of the best quotes ive ever seen. Had to put it to my sig. Cant comment about the first part, but latter part is 100% true.

"Back than Hippies were people with values, nowadays Hipsters are just a**holes who wear useless glasses and complain about that their Starbucks coffee is too hot."

Last edited by Inline; January 17th, 2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:43 AM

Mawn'in

Still warm down here

Mike, don't forget to add a few weep holes. If it were mine, I run some rebar down a few holes from top to bottom and pour concrete solid to fill up a few holes

Got to go to the big city today

Old January 18th, 2017, 11:18 AM

Great.

Now government is trying to push through selling our roads to (international ) investment companies. Bad idea, but also those roads are paved from tax-payers money for 99 ýears. Now they think they can sell them to someone? They are trying to sell the thing to crowd so as " taxpayers would save money if we would sell all roads out, taxes would be lowered since we wouldnt need to keep roads up from taxpayers money anymore" but i just calculated, from information at hand i would be losing 200$ per year at MINIMUM per year compared to present, and reality would be ALOT more.
At last hi-jack ( diesel-fuel taxes) they used 11k miles driven per year as estimate ( which i used also at my calculation).
If we quess they used same estimate, id bet id pay alot more ( like a double) with yearly ~32k miles driven.
And thats just when it would start. Of course companies would want to get more cut per investment after a while..

Geez, im soon moving out from Finland if this continues. Im soon wasting all of my hard earned money to taxes and payments.

Just came from sauna. Didnt relax at all. God im mad.

Last edited by Inline; January 18th, 2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:49 PM

Don't worry Inline, as soon as your country sees how good things will be in the U.K. After Brexit, I'm sure you will get a referendum and you can get the hell out of a failed euro experiment, we would love to set up closer trading ties with you guys, you can use our brains and we can have your saunas. Sounds good to me.

Finally got my mortgage offer so it looks like I shall be in debt for another ten years, still, at least I get a double garage and parking for ten more and a pool and steam room.

By the way Inline, my wife wouldn't be seen dead in the Scenic. Not saying she's fussy but she won't go in the Consul, smells of petrol, nor the Olds, too noisy, the scenic, too mumsy, but for some reason she loves my truck. I will never understand women she wants a new car but she hasn't driven for two years.

London weather chilly with a morning frost but nice and sunny, 44 degrees today.
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

London if she doesn't like the Scenic why don't you trade it? Or buy the Land Rover and don't sell anything. That's what I'd do.

Jamesbo it's getting rebar, not sure I want weep holes going out to the lake again. Every place there was a weep hole the ground was eroded and big holes opened up against the wall. Also every cell will be filled with concrete eventually.

Met two of the new people last night. They seemed okay. One of the guys had signed up to test the new uniforms. The designs were okay, a little too busy, but maintenance shirts are going to be Purple. And I mean serious grape purple. Yours truly is going to look like Barney.

Time for night 2. Gonna be mild again tonight, really nice. Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 18th, 2017, 05:55 PM

Thought I posted a short message yesterday, but I guess not.

Just stopping in for a quick visit tonite.
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:31 PM

LondonCutlass - No worries, our politicians wont see longer than their own nose. Today the plans for new Company holding all the roads were released, what i told yesterday were sneak peaks given to our national tv- and radiostation.
Truth today is ten times uglier. With two cars id be paying over 1000$ more at year just for owning them. Plus the added expenses from driving with them on top of that.
Their "big bonus" is that they would totally remove taxes from price of new car.
Those would be only ones benefiting from this ****, everyone who dont have money/ dont want to buy new car, would pay heck a lot more.

Apply to immigrate Canada....... For real, im soon totally fed up and leave this sinking boat for good *¤#¤#¤#¤#/
Dad gets really soon retired, but i have a minimum of 40 years work ahead, and how things go at Finland dont look too good.

Hmm, sounds interesting, wife wanting new car but not driving for 2 years now? My fiancee also now and then complains about fumes and such, but for me its part of the thrill and enjoyment.

And Congratulations of new mortage ( ) but how came it dont have sauna? You should build one there!

Ah, good Morning for you others still. Little on plus-side, so snow is melting.
Hope everyone has good thursday.

Last edited by Inline; January 18th, 2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old January 19th, 2017, 02:45 AM

Oh yea, got my ring gear bolts! Now i can continue at my rear again.
Still missing pinion nut, but i can setup it without it. Think post has lost it. Surprise.
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:20 AM

Morning all

Mike. I need the scenic for school runs and dumping rubbish, I don't want to dirty my truck!also not sure if I can afford another new car without getting rid of one, its expensive to move house here. On top of the price of the house you have stamp duty, the rate you pay depends on the value of your new property and living in London most people pay the top rate of 15%.

Inline that sucks. Good thing is that in this country they could never get away with that and we don't have any tolls on our roads, only on a couple of bridges. Don't know what happens in Finland but we all pay a road tax every year on each vehicle we own, but it's free for cars 30 years or older.
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:42 AM

We pay taxes even currently for roadholding from fuel, owning a car etc.

If that leaflet gets turned to english, ill link it straight away. Tho, it wont tell you much since you dont know what the current situation is, they are just painting rosegold future on it. They are trying to lie on us. Would like to know who are the ones behind this whole nonsence of trying to form new Company who owns all the mainroads. Someone for sure is hijacking huge salary from this if this goes through.

Hmm, England would be alot closer than Canada, and they get rid of that EU. Not bad..
Old January 19th, 2017, 11:48 AM

Afternoon

Well, I fiddle pharted around an didn't do my continuing ed for real-estate license. Zo, I'm on a crash course to knock of 36 hours. Did 5 today on line and now I'm crossed eyed from answering STUPID question about tenant //landlord relations, default provisions etc

40 years ago my old real-estate teacher said "If you call the Ga. Real-estate commission and get an answer you don't like, call back"

That was before voice mail, Now just don't bother to call cause no one will call ya back

GTG answer more estoppell vs atonment questions

BORING
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

London I'm glad the Scenic has a role in the fleet. I was telling a friend of mine that every car I have has a certain role(not really). He said he had to sell his Jeep and it didn't have a role. I said it's job was to be the Jeep. He just looked at me.

Jamesbo I sometimes think I'd like to get back into rental houses. Or buying/fixing/flipping. I have a feeling I've missed that boat.

I told a friend of mine that this is the year I'm buying an Imperial. Then I saw the picture of Jensen's Rallye so I said, an Imperial and/or a Rallye 350. His only response? That's a lot of yellow. This is probably why I'm not into real estate.

Okay night 3. Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 19th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Mike, it is really hard to convince you that you need a specific car, isn't it?

Inline, you'd be used to the weather in Canada! Lately where I am it has been varying between sun, snow, rain and freezing rain with temperatures from -20C up to +2C.

Good luck studying Jim.

From reading what Inline and London are saying I might complain less about the costs of owning cars here.
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:25 PM

Morning.

Its friday. Weekend, wohooooo...... Wait, for 2,5 months its been weekend for me....
Cold outside. Cats are doing good work of guarding warm radiator at wall

slantflat - Oh, both are gorgeous cars. What year Imperial? What really did grab my attention, those yellow Rallyes, are one of my favourite Oldsmobiles! Beats those H/O's by a mile from looks.

car_designer - Hmm, threw it to my fiancee as half a joke, she wouldnt have anything against getting f*** out of here Few more years, and when i get my share of legacy i would even have enough money to prove immigration office i wouldnt fell on my nose for long enough to find work. Already looked actually that too, theres plenty of ashpalt-worker jobs open
The whole idea is not totally made up from imagination, since its always been my plan that when this house is paid, ill start to pay another house at somewhere else ( where is warm at winter) so i can spend my wintertime there.

Last edited by Inline; January 20th, 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old January 20th, 2017, 09:24 AM

Dang, everybody out on a Friday? Must be glued to the tube, watching the inauguration.
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Im in.

Nothing exciting to do. Just played with friend, but he had to go.
Tried to convice fiancee we should heat the sauna today, but se kinda refused..
Well, ill heat it tomorrow.

Whats up everyone?

Btw, Congrats for new President, whatever you personally like it or not, congrats still.
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Dang, everybody out on a Friday? Must be glued to the tube, watching the inauguration.

I'm crossed eyed from the on line courses. I build a wall for John and Mike, if they'd take this continuing ed fer me
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:50 AM

Not going to make a topic atleast yet.

Thought id ask from you, this might actually be pretty simple question.

At summer were doing a "long" trip with our Cutlass, ~4000 miles, through whole Europe to mediterranean, south tip of Croatia ( its our "honeymoon", but due to my work like a "honeyweek"...). Since theres so many countries to pass by, and languages, i cant monitor from every country possible "safe haven" to get parts. Especially when American cars are almost literally unexistant at former east-block countries.

Were there any particular item notorious to fail on my car? All i can do is to make sure my car is at so good mechanical condition as possible, and hope for the best, but would like to know if theres some particular item i should carry with me? Something questionable at HEI?

I already bought new spare-tire ( and new tires last year), and im doing complete servicing and greasing to car prior to trip.
Theres new bearings at rear, and last spring i opened up and re-greased front-wheel bearings ( and will do it again when i get my rear done).

Last edited by Inline; January 20th, 2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old January 20th, 2017, 02:53 PM

Busy long day for me.I had a hand surgery to do in the morning,a guy was holding on to something while a friend of his hitting something and hit his right hand last week.This patient is not one that listens to doctor's orders and his wife will make sure he does,she is a nurse.
Old January 20th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rain last night and beautiful today. And supposed to be rain tonight. No way to get a wall built.

Paul I like a lot of different cars, Oldsmobile being my first and pretty much favorite. I've probably owned more Chevy's than anything else. The 62 Imperial and Rallye 350 have been in the back of my mind for quite awhile.

I watched a little of the Inaugural parade this afternoon. When they opened the doors of the limo you could see they were like 8 inches thick. I read it's based on a pickup truck chassis. A four wheel drive Deville? With all the bullet proofing and such why bother making it look like a Cadillac, why not just give him an MRAP.

Friday tonight. Sounds like inside things to do this weekend. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Save you looking it up: Mine Resistant Ambush Protected

Last edited by slantflat; January 20th, 2017 at 03:57 PM.

Search this Thread