The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2016, 11:46 AM
Captain Starfire

Inline, this is officially the "Fourth of July" weekend, since Monday is "the 4th" (of July), the anniversary of our "Independence Day," which is when we declared independence of the 13 colonies from Great Britain in 1776 by signing and issuing the Declaration of Independence.

Please don't feel bad for not knowing that -- glad you asked! -- 'cause prolly half the people over here don't even know ;-)

Thanks for the sympathy for Gene.

Hope y'all have a safe and enjoyable trip~!

Clint, sumpin' from over Rocky Mountain Way....although this story might have two few wheels for yer tastes...

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 1st, 2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:03 PM

Aha, okay. Ill quess its pretty big day at USA? Atleast here independence day is very highly recognised and celebrated. And, good wishes to all of you for that.

Tho, as a sad side-notice, younger generations seem to appreciate it less and less and take it as given, which really was not just given to us ( with that i mean 20-25 years later than we did receive independence). I quess its same on your country, too? Maybe its just the human nature?
Old July 1st, 2016, 01:06 PM
Captain Starfire

I think you've got something there, Inline.... But I sure didn't appreciate it the same when I was a kid as I do now that I have a few wrinkles and far fewer hair follicles. ...
Old July 1st, 2016, 03:40 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work tonight. Got a few things done this go round and had some fun as well. Can't ask for more than that.

This is going to be a trying weekend for the dogs. With the 4th being on Monday, my assholish neighborhood will have 3 full days to shoot off fireworks and guns. I suppose I could have taken the dogs to the kennel this weekend. You can't hear anything in there. The trade off is that place is awful. Hard concrete floor, no treats, no couches. It's barbaric.

Speaking of touring junkyards. Where my grandparents lived there had to be two dozen old timey junkyards in a 10 mile radius. This was back in the 80s. One time I mapped out all the junkyards and a buddy of mine and I went to stay with my Grandma and we hit all the junkyards. Found a few nice things, of course our beat up cars that we were working on were 30 years newer, so there were a few hulks to choose from. I doubt most or all of those places are even there anymore.

So be safe everyone this weekend. I'm working the whole weekend. We can see the various towns' fireworks shows from the airport, it's kind of like being at a carnival.

See ya's.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 12:07 AM

Happy 4th weekend to everybody over the pond. Congratulations on kicking our butt all those years ago.

The wife for some reason started reading some of the posts on here and has now decided that she too wants a sauna like the one Inline like to be in. Sounds expensive.

Costco day yesterday. For my business I have to buy nappies/diapers, if only I could have a buck for every time someone said wow you must have a lot of children. I suppose it does look a bit strange, I do buy 10000 at a time.
Enjoy your celebrations.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 12:16 AM

Good Morning. Sunny, should hit 77F today ( >80F temps are really rare here, one over 80F temp last year).

Lot to do, wifey cleans the house, and i build 2 new stairs to our separate building housing sauna, sauna room and workshop.
And we are going with Cutlass to eat at busburger! Its "famous" Place where i nowadays live, an american style hamburger-restaurant build on iconic yellow schoolbus.

Have a nice weekend everyone, and enjoy your time.

E: You want pictures of sauna, LondonCutlass, for your wife? By the way, its sauna-day today, again.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 04:36 AM

Well de AC went Tango Uniform yesterday

Ain't that rather typical

Mike, I saw something on TV that's an oral med that's spose to help dogs with problems with thunder, lightening, guns fireworks etc. If I see it again, I'll write down the name

John, Sorry about you friend. Getting older ain't fer sissies. I just got my bud in de mountains back outa de hospital fer sum kinda infection after he pumped his shin.

Had to dig all de taters cause they're starting to rot. I think I'll make a 50 gal drum of tater salad and open a stand out front.

GTG get this AC werking

Have a great 4th Olds friends
Old July 2nd, 2016, 06:30 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all. 'Nudder hades-hot one in da' Swamp. But it's **ONLY** supposed to get up to 95 deg F, so break out the sweaters.

Jamesbo and Mike, I've seen commercials for this stuff called Sileo for dogs w/ the noise aversion. One of our cats definitely has it, and we've had two different dogs with the "fireworks freak-out" syndrome. I know exactly what Mike's going through.

Whelpt, it's outside for me to trim the overgrowth at the periphery; it's a real fun job -- especially in the heat. But I have a gas-powered pole hedge-trimmer that takes some of the time off; so it could be worse. If I do it every year, I don't need the chain saw; maybe just the lobbing shears now & again.

Jamesbo, funny you should mention potato salad; I made a small one last night with all the goodies, including fresh bacon bits and the perfect hard-boiled's. I was musing how much I'd have to charge for a serving of the stuff to actually make any money after spending so much time concocting it & then cleaning up, buying all the ingredients, & then paying taxes. I decided not to go into business (what a shock!). Hope you get the A/C werkin' again quick.

Watch out for those fireworks, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 2nd, 2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 09:10 AM

John, Sum times I use Zataran's mustard jes to give it a little kick. BUT The trick IMHO to making good tater salad is to overcook a few of the taters at the end and mash dem up in your mayo,mustard etc. It makes it creamy

De Super model [and helicopter mom] has gone to her son's house to install sum patio furniture she decided they couldn't live w/o. Tink I'll do sum more cook'in

Inline, Stupid question de jour. Before you had steps, how did you get in the sauna? Ladder? Pole vault?
Old July 2nd, 2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
John, Sum times I use Zataran's mustard jes to give it a little kick. BUT The trick IMHO to making good tater salad is to overcook a few of the taters at the end and mash dem up in your mayo,mustard etc. It makes it creamy

De Super model [and helicopter mom] has gone to her son's house to install sum patio furniture she decided they couldn't live w/o. Tink I'll do sum more cook'in

Inline, Stupid question de jour. Before you had steps, how did you get in the sauna? Ladder? Pole vault?
Perfect timing, i just came from sauna. We have steps there, we just do new ones. Considering this house is build 1947 for mens returning from war, there is some spots that needs fixing. All in all, that old houses have stood test of time their heads up versus modern houses with plastic everywhere. But back to stairs, i made drawings, and found out we didnt have enough wood at hand. We have various places where we need plankets, so now we count them all together, so we can get them all with just one Freight from our local saw.

Ill soon post a pic i had to take. When we went to BusBurger i previously mentioned were going to visit, youre never going to believe where i parked. First, take in the account really low count of Oldsmobiles in Finland, and most of them are 80-90's Deltas / Custom Cruisers, i parked next to old red/ white interior Ninety Eight Convertible!!!

Last edited by Inline; July 2nd, 2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 10:48 AM

As i promised:

Can someone tell me the year, didnt meet the owner? Or anything else special.

Btw. At a pic is rear licence-plate holder v2. ALOT better than old one, and this is going to be final version.
Weird. At first i bought a car i had moneys for, and what did make me want it most at that price-range.
Now im loving it so much i wouldnt change it to anything. Else than 67 Cutlass.. But i wont never have that much money. Or, i might have, but at that point ive spend so much money at my current car at theres no reason to sell it.
Currently having, taking buying price of car into equation, over 11 grand $ on it.

Last edited by Inline; July 2nd, 2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 12:31 PM
Captain Starfire

Very nice, Inline! Your mystery man's car is a 1970 98. Don't see many convertibles like that any more. 1970 was the last year of the hi-performance hi-compression Olds 455. Sweet!
Old July 2nd, 2016, 02:36 PM

Guess I need to go get a burger in Finland to see such a nice one. Great pic
Old July 2nd, 2016, 04:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful and hot. Too bad I have to spoil it by going to work. Eh, work was okay last night, and I have no reason to think it won't be okay tonight as well.

Haven't heard many fireworks today. I find that odd. Long holiday weekend in Georgia I can't imagine what everyone is doing otherwise. Maybe they are waiting for it to cool off a little. I've got some fireworks around here somewhere, but they've got to be as old as Methuselah.

Jamesbo what is a helicopter mom? Is that medicine you saw valium? Good luck with the AC.

John hope you didn't overdo it with the yardwork. If you let it all grow up no one can see in when they drive past. When is the next round with the streets? How's your friend today?

London it's funny how we were enemies all those years ago, but now Americans can't get enough of what the Royal Family is doing.

Okay time for night 2. Hope the weekend is going well for you all.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 05:01 PM

Speaking of '70 98 converts, on the way up to my nieces place, we passed a dark blue one with a tan top, it was sweet, and of course i opted to leave my camera at home. Turned out to be a good day for a get together, my niece's place which they bought about a year and a half ago, sits about 100 yards from a lake, really nice spot to be (even if it is a 100 miles from nowhere), they picked up a couple of kayaks to paddle around, and there is great foliage surrounding it. I will try to get up there in the fall for some color shots.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 12:15 AM

Good Morning.

Ah, okay, thanks for clarification about the model year. It was indeed really nice, only flaw i saw was pitting on rear chrome bumber under the licence plate, as you can see from picture. Damn it was one huge car. You cant turn your eyes off from it.

Oh, and welcome to burger for Finland, cant quarantee that NinetyEight is there next time, tho

Well, rainy day its going to be. I think for once i just sit and dont do anything, just enjoy the day.

Have a great sunday everyone.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 04:07 AM

Mawn'in all

AC werking Red dog kissed the repair guy when he finished

Mike, A "Helicopter mom" is one that hovers over her kids Mine was the exact opposite. her motto was "If you won't listen you must feel" didn't matter if it was putting a paper clip in a light socket or girl friend advice. She said it only once.

May try to beat de heat and go smacky white today

Have a happy and safe 4th Olds friends
Old July 3rd, 2016, 09:30 AM
Captain Starfire

Nudder day in da' furnace... no wet stuff in sight; but at least I'll be able to mow da' lawn this week without getting stuck.

Sounds like a nice car & a nice getaway spot, Dan. Enjoy!

Need to try and call Gene again and see how he's doing. He's a poor correspondent in normal conditions.

After about an hour & a half outside yesterday, I threw up the white flag. Can't do what I used to out there in the blazin' sun... I got about half finished and will do the other half today.

So it changes ever day, but now the forecast is predicting 60% wet stuff on the day our boat cruise is scheduled. Methinks we'll just have to go for it. We have 17 confirmations, so it should be a rollicking time.... But it's all up to Dana (boat owner-classmate).

Mike, what "streets"?

Hope you get to whakum today, Jamesbo. So I gather 'twas a failed component in the A/C and not a major breakdown.... Yeah, I always add a dash of some type of mustard to the 'tater salad -- not always Zatarain's. Sometimes just add the powdered. Grilled some smoked sausage last night; hadn't done that in ages; 'twas delicious. Did chicken for better half, since she's not much on processed meats.

Enjoy the rainy down-time, Inline....

Stay cool, Olds buds.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Official temp in the Greater Stockbridge Area: 99* . I love it. Sunny, sometimes a breeze kicks up.

John I'm talking about you getting gravel and filling in the potholes on your street, and the neighbors not caring. Maybe you should ditch the Avalon in favor of a rock crawler, and let the potholes grow.

Jamesbo hope you played good. My Mom said things twice. Once the first time, and then when I didn't listen and got into trouble, I heard, I told you the first time...

Time for work. Last night I started up the blue van and moved it over a couple spaces. It was looking a little conspicuous having not moved in two weeks. Started right up, no strange noises. That's encouraging.

Have a good evening everyone. I suspect tonight will be the official blow off your fingers night, since people out of town will have to be traveling home tomorrow.
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:11 AM

Mawn'in all

Hotter than a $2 pistol and dry as a popcorn phart

We REALLY need sum rain

Tanks MIke, I play very good fer an old fat guy yesterday 41/42 but let's jes hope it holds up today

Inline, the Gringo tradition today is to bar-be que sum'in Really doesn't matter what. Since ya allready got the beer drinking down pretty good. Jes thought you might wanta play 4th of July in Finland Beer, Bar-be que, Fire works

Happy 4th of July Olds friends
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy 4th, all.... Hopefully no digits (or greater) will be lost.

Congrats on the "no-goat" playing, Jamesbo. Always good to hear.

Mike, I thought that's what you might have meant; it was just strange to hear of it as a "street" rather than the "road," since it's more of a glorified "path," with a little gravel thrown on top. There's an official process to turn it over to the parish (Tangipahoa) if we so desired, which would eliminate all my sweat; but that would risk their opening it up as a thoroughfare, and some of the traffic at end they could extend it to would be VERY undesirable; so we'll keep the status quo.

Hang in there thru the heat, Olds pals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 4th, 2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old July 4th, 2016, 12:49 PM

Happy Independence Day, people. For our across the pond readers and those over here who have forgotten, the name of the day is American Independence Day, or just Independence Day. It happens to be on the 4th of July, but you should not refer to it as such, just as you don't wish someone a Merry December 25th, or a Happy 4th Thursday in November.

Facebook Post

Mike Rowe has a wonderful video on the subject today.

Generally, the holiday involves a day of leisure with family and friends, and celebrating via alcohol, barbecue meat, and fireworks and/or guns.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Read this. Bonus points if you read it out loud to your kids. On Veterans' Day, we thank living soldiers. On Memorial Day, we thank ones that we lost. On Christmas and Easter, we thank Jesus. On Thanksgiving, we thank Providence and the turkey. And, on this day, we thank all the badasses that signed that document.
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

It would be my guess that calling today Independence Day would be less favored by our current leadership because they don't want us to be reminded that we are independent. Yes I know it's actually independence from England.

Nice out, and hot. But not humid. I've heard exactly one burst of fireworks this afternoon, seen no one on the lake, and there was an impromptu beach party replete with a hot dog truck, and I couldn't see anyone over there. Perhaps everyone is celebrating indoors.

John have you thought about mixing some tar or something in the gravel so it might last a little longer? Eventually you'll have the whole road paved. I don't remember who you said the road actually belonged to.

Jamesbo we're supposed to get rain around here about the middle of the week. Yes we need it but I have too much to do outside to be bothered by rain. One of the things I need to do is get that pool out that we put the car in in Ohio and clean it out. Last I looked there was a rather large newt living in it. Hope he doesn't bite.

Friday for me. Last night got home around 430. Wouldn't mind a repeat performance, or better.

Hope everyone has a good evening. Going forward, happy 5th of July everyone.
Old July 4th, 2016, 06:00 PM

Pics from car show in Allendale, Mi. about 30 miles from me. https://picasaweb.google.com/6971dan...KKnl7Kpnv2khgE
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:16 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Sounds like its super toasty out there in the SE.

Dan, in the past 20 years there has been a big change in yards around here. a whole area of small yards (Probably 10-20) was bought up and closed down for "Urban renewal" or something. Now we are getting a few places that take over that are LKQ or the like. Even when you call you are talking to someone out of state. So I ask him if he can go look and see if the motor has the exhaust manifold studs still in it. And then chew him out for the lack of personal assistance.

Inline, LKQ Is a large national wrecking yard outfit that looks to maximize profits and minimize customer service and satisfaction.

Spose to continue with the 90's this week. Brit got a little warm climbing hills and sitting in traffic yesterday. she just touched 220F once. It was really nice to get her out. Her clock tripped 90K yesterday as well. I noticed it about 5 miles late.

Have a Tuesday all.
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:51 AM

Mawn'in all

cut/paste Hot and dry

Started out playing like I knew WTF I was doing them fell apart It's a humbling game.

John, Stupid question de jour. My house in de mountains is on a private rd so gps don't werk. Is your house in de swamp on a private road? Does GPS werk?

Welp GTG before de heat sets in

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old July 5th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Captain Starfire

Same-ol' same-ol' weather here as well.

Jamesbo, yes, it's a private road; but I know some folks have driven right up to the front of our house guided by nuttin' but GPS. I personally don't use one, but I keep saying I want to get one for the motorcycle. Actually, the road in da' hills is also a private road, but the same applies. I'm pretty sure Mike drove right to the doorstep the first time he came up, with the assistance of his GPS.

Dan, dat's some nice lookin' wheels. Tough to name a fave, but of course that Saturn Yellow '70 GSX deserves at least honorable mention. I really appreciate that old Demon in pristine, correct, concours condition, as most of those 340s were ragged to death right out of the box.

Mike, part of the problem is that whatever fix I make on the road, I can't keep people out of the holes for 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the system I have now is about the only feasible thing given the nature of the problem -- and the biggest problem is the folks who use the road.

Whelpt, stay cool, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 5th, 2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:24 AM

John, I have to agree, that Demon was probably the most correct car there, and in good musclecar colors of orange and white. The '66 427 Impala was also a favorite.
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:50 AM

Mike/ John

Sum body posted dis pic of the hooch in Helen on the 4th of July. Kinda reminds me of my friend that [a few years ago] hung a rubber snake from a limb and sat in a law chair for hour just for the fun of it
Old July 5th, 2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Mike, I saw something on TV that's an oral med that's spose to help dogs with problems with thunder, lightening, guns fireworks etc. If I see it again, I'll write down the name
I know of a great product available that is the best on the market.. Mike if you are interested reach out to me
Old July 5th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Thought I'd sleep till noon then get up and do something. Well, I was up at 1130 but still didn't quite feel alive, so I went back to bed. Pretty soon here comes my boy and I figure he wants to go out. Nope. Thunder. So now we are getting a pretty good soaking. I said before we needed the rain, but I didn't say that I wanted it.

Jeff where you been? How are things in the great land of salt? The problem with drugs or that thunder coat or whatever, is when I'm home they don't need that stuff, and I don't always know when I should give it to them when I leave, nor would it last as long as I am gone most times.

Jamesbo I saw that picture, is it real or photoshopped? What are they all doing, there's nothing to see there except traffic on the road next to the river.

John maybe you could get a couple of traffic cones and put in your potholes until they get settled down. I'm guessing that the people don't realize you are the one doing the work, so they would probably think it was the city or something.

Dan I kind of like that Thing, in appropriate olive drab. Was the tank part of the show or just close by?

Clint I was thinking down the road I might want to put a 200R into the new Cutlass. Is there someplace that does a revised shift pattern so the needle lines up? I like your car a lot. Of course I may be partial to the year. It looks way bigger than the next generation, does it drive like a big car? That would be okay.

Well I guess I'll get myself together and see if there's something I can get into inside. Three to myself now, it's a good feeling. Have a good day everyone.
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by crzyjef
I know of a great product available that is the best on the market.. Mike if you are interested reach out to me
Is it ethyl alcohol?
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:44 PM

Mike the tank was at a nearby firehouse museum, I parked behind the firehouse due to a lack of space, and was surprised to see an M-60 tank sitting there...damn that thing is big. After I took the pics of the firetruck and building, I walked around the other side...and there's a second M60! John, I do like those 455 inspired Buicks, in 1980 I had a chance to buy a Saturn Yellow '70 GSX Stage 1 four speed car from the guys that were my mechanics for 40 years, they were the original owners and wanted $2000.00 for it, for some reason I did not think that I could afford it, and instead bought a '66 GTO for $1700.00. Go figure.
Old July 6th, 2016, 03:14 AM
CQR

Mornin.

Mike. I don't know if there is or not. I use the factory pattern but I can't pull it into Manual low. I've never needed to so it isn't a big deal. The car handles the curves really pretty well. even with the factory swaybars. Its big but doesn't feel like a 98. If it got an upgraded gearbox and smaller steering wheel I would bet it would feel much more nimble.

Well back to listening to the rogue fireworks. Yes even at 3:15 in the morning.

Have a day all.
Old July 6th, 2016, 04:20 AM

Mawn'in all

Got a shower yesterday, Not all we needed but I'll take what I can get

When I stop pitch'in my cookies over politics, I'm gonna go get sum fried chicken.

John, It's National Fried Chicken day according to the media. And ya gotta trust the media right?

Mike, I'm not sure if the Helen/Hooch pic is a photochopshop or not. I don't do Helen or Gatlingber or Pigeon forge.

Between de (%^$ deer and the drought the poor garden ain't doing so well, Got tons of taters and squash a few maters but 100% crop failure on beans and okrie. It's always sum'in. The deer ate 6 rows of bush beans and 1 row of pole beans along with 2 rows of Okrie.

Well Olds friends Have a GREAT day, I'm gonna turn off the TV for a week and see if the world improves
Old July 6th, 2016, 05:33 AM

[QUOTE=slantflat;933563

Jeff where you been? How are things in the great land of salt? The problem with drugs or that thunder coat or whatever, is when I'm home they don't need that stuff, and I don't always know when I should give it to them when I leave, nor would it last as long as I am gone most times.
[/QUOTE]

Mike,
I have been here .. Lurking..
Things are plugging right along in the land of Salt. One day after another.
You are absolutely right for most of the products on the market..
and remembering is half the battle...

I did send you a Private message
Old July 6th, 2016, 08:26 AM

Good evening. Short day at work, so sauna is on. And beer is cold. For me, sounds like a plan for the rest of the evening..
Yesterday i finally pulled the trigger and ordered new rims for my Cutlass, this was 3rd time that i was lusting all over different rims, and decided it has to stop.
Now were just waiting..

Have a fun working week, seeya on friday.
Old July 6th, 2016, 08:38 AM

Inline, show us a pic of the wheels that you ordered.
Old July 6th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Went to the junkyard after Awful house this morning. I wanted to check out that Dodge van closer, the one that I liked last week. Had a list and everything. Funny, when I got there it was exactly as it was, but I wasn't excited about the parts like I was last week. Maybe if it had power doors I would have liked it. So I didn't get anything.

Jeff thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I don't have a hundred things going on. Like in the middle of the night when I can't sleep like last night.

Koda that was just mean.

Fried chicken. I could eat me some of that. It's too bad(or maybe a good thing) that Dillard House is so far away from me.

I believe July 6 is when we lost Sandy last year. Wonder what all goes on in Ohio these days. Jamesbo what do you see on facebook anymore?

Well I went up to my work with a new serpentine belt to put on the van. Wouldn't you know it I got the wrong one. Actually, I got the right one but unbeknownst to me someone had taken off the AIR pump so the belt is too long. Not sure I want to make another trip up to work on my days off. I'll swap out the belt and take it with me over the weekend. At least I'll get paid to put it on...

Okay gonna find something to do before the thunderstorms come. Have a good Hump Day everyone.
Old July 6th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Mike, I see Larry's not very found of the Hilebeast and Sandy's daughter post some stuff occasionally that I really don't understand. That's about it