The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Captain Starfire

'Nudder bluebird day in da' hills, to coin a phrase. Jamesbo, not sure exactly what direction I was facing, but it's prolly not due N., since the sun was fairly in front of me. I think colors would have come out a lot better looking in udder direction. Thanks, guys. It's prettier "in person," too. How about this fungus thing we spotted? Never saw one quite like it.

Fungus thingy

Inline, nice wheel! I'm more of a "factory" guy, but it's handsome. Don't even remember those dashboards; it's attractive as well. The side "wings" remind me of my '73 88, but it only had one square or rectangular pod in front of the driver. (Pitiful instruments w/ idiot lights.)

Always thought the Olds intermediate console automatics had the nicest shifters of the era. Fave was the woodgrain (wood?) one that preceded yours.

Clint, my bud way back yonder had a '55 6-cyl. w/ 3 on da' tree. Indestructible, although it was a snail thru the gears.

Have a great Tuesday, Olds friends.
Old April 5th, 2016, 10:23 AM

Its still monday 8.23PM here in Finland as i writed this. I could soon start to figure out what to eat for supper..

Funny how that fungus has been growing on that little stump whats left from the tree; definitetly seems like the tree has fallen before that fungus has started to grow on that stump.

Im not too factory-guy on cars. If i find something what really has more pros than cons i might change it. Like that steering wheel- i couldnt stand it. But def. no "thyning" parts, just some minor and period-looking. Since this isnt, and is not going to be museum piece even i will keep it in good condition and restore where its needed. Ill keep this car as my hobby. Some day im gonna swap 4-speed manual to it.. Even i like autos way over manual, i cant get it out of my mind that driving 4-speed 3600lbs boat with healthy 350 would be boatload of fun.. And make it a bit more spirited- afterall, driving hobbycar for me is all about taking lift-off from everyday routines.

Before i managed to collect money for this, ive had 3 hobbycars before. My first, and longest one - i sold it out to finance this Cutlass a bit, was 73´Volvo 144. Nothing special, normal 2.0 litre pushrod OHV-engine with single carb. I bough it when i was 19yr old, so i had it for 5 years total. Nothing exiting, but really easy and enjoyable car to get yourself tied to carhobby. Then i had with side of that 144 for half-an-year ´65 Volvo PV. After i bought it, inspector found out it had really rusty frame, needing total restoration. Was too much for me at that point, had to sell it out. I also had an ´90 Chevrolet Caprice STW with 307. My first american car. It lasted for a week. Previous owner had done tricks with oil-pressure warning light, as i later found out. So, after a week my 307 spit out nr.1 conrod from engine-block, when i was travelling 50mph. It was loud bang by the way. Sold it all for someone with a price of that th200r4 it had. This one stopped my lust for american cars for 3 years. Dont worry- i am not going to tell my biography, just backround about my carhobby

I have more toys to balance my hobbies! Its museum-registered motorbike,
Yamaha XJ750 Maxim from ´82. I could soon take it out and start to awaken it. Should take few pics too, currently have none showing the bike.

Last edited by Inline; April 5th, 2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old April 5th, 2016, 12:39 PM

After re reading a little more carefully, I find myself try'in to picture Finish "hippie Girls"
Old April 5th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Captain Starfire

Inline, good stories! Keep 'em up.

Me too, Jamesbo. But my other thought is that they must wet within a mile of Mike, with an M-35 at his shop. ;-)

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 5th, 2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old April 5th, 2016, 07:50 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. 40 today but sunny, supposed to warm up a little tomorrow.

Clint - Sounds like a nice project. If you have a chance, put some pics on here of it.

Inline - nice steering wheel, I prefer them thick too, much more comfortable.

Heading to bed, evening everyone.
Old April 5th, 2016, 11:02 PM

Good Morning. +5 at morning, this years record! Awaiting +12 for this day, record of the year also.

Ah, Finnish hippie-girls are awesome

Okay, more boring stories. You asked. Lets travel the route of my car, to realise how much it ends up costing down here in Finland when its between licence plates all payed and done. It might be hard to imagine how much these end up costing here when they cost so little on USA.

First, the car itself did cost 2600$.
Then comes the import to Finland on play. After all kinds of payments to import-Company ( port-payments, cost of loading and unloading the car, sea-cargo itself, and all kind of payments to various officials for various reasons), we can add 3280,54$ to price of car.
Then our customs want their share of that car, since its been sold outside of Finland when it was new, of course our government needs to get their share of it since theyve lost taxes of it when it was sold new, right?
Okay, they wanted 985.22$ bribe.

Were almost there.... Then, registration inspection ( price varies greatly from inspection-station to another) did cost me 136.20$. And now, they want to tax it once more before i get my licence plates ( im actually not sure do they want money for licence plates also.. ). I havent yet received the bill, but By calculating it will end up pretty near around 230$.

So, the conclusion. The car which did cost 2600$ on USA, ends up costing 7231,96$ here! Now, with all that money, wonder what you could buy with it living in USA..

Thats not a rant, just an run-down to realise that these cars aint cheap to us, even they cost next to nothing for you.

Last edited by Inline; April 5th, 2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old April 5th, 2016, 11:09 PM

Good morning? but I haven't gone to bed yet! Currently 2:09 am (Wednesday) here.
Old April 6th, 2016, 03:24 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Chilly but supposed to be nice today. I thought I heard rain for this evening. I must have been dreaming. I hope.

Inline that still isn't an outrageous amount to get a car half way around the world. Where did you buy it out of?

Need to change the oil in the blue van today. That hasn't been done in awhile. So the blue van. Here is a dumbass award for me. Was talking on the phone when I got to work the other day, shut off the engine but left the key in the ignition. A few minutes later I jump out, hit the lock button and close the door. As it's latching, I think, oh I didn't just do that. Yup I did. So all night at work I wondered how I would get back in. Well, if you ever want to break into a pre-96 G van you can work something flexible in under the side window and get the pop out handle to pop out. Turns out the handle on the forward window in the sliding door was jacked up anyway so it came right off, which left the window flapping in the breeze. About half way home the window departed the van. Yesterday I replaced it with a window off my parts van, and that glass is much thicker, so it isn't a perfect fit(and the tint is darker). But it beats a big hole in the side.

Got a few errands after the Awful house then the van and if I still have time I'll get a battery for the VW and get it going. Planning on going to Chamblee this evening to check out a mini-camping trailer for some friends. Not sure where Chamblee is but I know where Chamblee-Tucker Road is, can't be far from there.

Okay have a good Hump Day everyone.
Old April 6th, 2016, 04:47 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike, All our rides have come due for oil changes at once. I need to take a day and do the Chebby, the Mazda, the Toyota, the wifes Taco(Heads out of the gutter), The Kids, Celica, and the 3 Race quads. Yeesh.

Inline, I remember our 76. The steering wheel would get kind of gooey in the sun and would make your hands black. Really that price isn't near as bad as I was expecting. Do you have to keep the tape on the marker lights or was that only for the inspection?

I'll get some pic's of the Chev. It's a pretty car. I hate to see the credit card bill after yesterdays order.

Have a Humpday all.
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:39 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili but still clear.

Mike, I hate ta tell ya but Chambodia ain't any where near Chamblee Tucker rd.

Scot, I'm serious, Please keep an eye out for me, I really need a front end loader fer my Massey 135

Inline, Sound kinda like any other country, They all operate under the Robin Hood mentality Gotcha at every turn. Speaking of Finland. Don't they have winter jobs driving snow plows or does the whole place jes shut down? Got any Finnish Hippie chick pics? probably toooooo cold fer wet t-shirt parties over there, huh?

John, Not to be a jackass but from de shadows Mrs BOP looks to facing south. Assuming of course my BSA compass is working w/o benefit of my dyslexia What's dat town down in de valley?

Clint, Yeah I'd like to see sum pics also

Well, Sumwhare sumhow I've lost my plastic seed plates fer de planter. Holly molley, replacing 5 pieces of Chinese plastic is expensive. But a planter w/o seed plates aint' worth a tinkers hooray. Taters com'in up nicely but need to get more beans in de ground

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:06 AM

slantflat- i personally didnt buy it. I bought it from a guy who imports cheap american cars, and sells them with zero profit. All bills followed about car and its import. The trick there is, when he buys a car, he buys that one cargo-box, and can import all other kind of stuff inside with same cargo. So he gets his cargo payed by the one who buys the car = free cargo.

Made me laugh when i imagined side-window suddenly flying off the car while driving

CQR- No, as soon as my car was on the parking lot of inspection center, i tooked those tapes off Police has enough brains to not start nitpicking about them, some inspectors also do, like the one where i did inspect it. Its just about hiding them- inspector hasnt really done nothing illegal- like allowing them, even they are there behind tape, so everyone can be happy. Since its not his problem what i do with my lights after its inspected, responsibility transfers to police. Also orange parking-lights are illegal here. God..

We want pics! No matter what car it is. Atleast, i dont care.

Jamesbo- Yes there are alot of jobs at winter which focus on snow clearing, one way or another. But due to our tax-system and daily-allowance which is counted from your income from time you were at work, i end up with more money at my hand than i would do end up if i would go to work for winter. Doesnt it sound inspiring- if you go to work you end up with less money?

Last edited by Inline; April 6th, 2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:39 AM
CQR

Old April 6th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Clint, I would love to stroll through a junkyard, but the ones that still allow it, don't have any thing vintage anymore. I would spend a couple of hours looking for a part that I needed back in the day, spending more time looking at the cars then what I needed.
Old April 6th, 2016, 09:50 AM

Speak'in of Hippies

Inline here's a pic of a genuine American hippie returning from 3 day concert in Woodstock NY

Don't get too excited. The concert was in 1969 and she's most likely a grandmother by now. FWIW I would guess any kinda car/ride would do.
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:16 AM

Finnish hippie-girls look similiar, only they have bigger breasts and brown hair Wider hips too!

That junkyard pic looks exactly like a place i could spend a weekend too.

Btw today i found bill of my tires behing glovebox, from 2013, previous owner has bought current tires from discounttires.com- Kumho 215/75/15 and total price was 5xx$, cant remember and too lazy to go check it now. Found out my coolant reservoir is leaking too, its been fixed lousily with some bondo.. quess does it hold?

Just came from autoparts-store, and bought grease and greaser, going to grease the car tomorrow. Then its all done currently.
Funny, service manual dont show the points where to grease, and i think the only brochure im missing is original user manual, which might show greasing points? Well, you cant have all if you have 3 buildsheets
Wont be hard anyways, its pretty clear where the greasepoints are located, i only "fear" i might miss one without knowing exactly everything. Steering and front-end related joints obviously, cardan, atleast those. Somewhere else?

Last edited by Inline; April 6th, 2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:33 AM

Inline: You might be able to find your Chassis service manual here in PDF, might help with the grease fittings for your car, and a lot more. gmheritagecenter.com
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Inline: You might be able to find your Chassis service manual here in PDF, might help with the grease fittings for your car, and a lot more. gmheritagecenter.com
Thanks. Thats totally new site to me. Need to investigate. Need to link it to my friend also, he has same greasing ahead with his 72 Camino.
Old April 6th, 2016, 11:42 AM
CQR

Dan I found one that the guy may let me wander in. I may have to head back up there for a little therapy.

Attachment 156536
Attachment 156537
Attachment 156538
Attachment 156539
Old April 6th, 2016, 12:49 PM

Amaz'in how much better cars look at 60 + years dan hippie chicks
Old April 6th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Captain Starfire

Kwik' hola.... Cool but nice today in da' hills. I and Mrs. BOP just took a short walk "around the lake" at one of the Lake Chatuge recreation centers a tad west of town (we go all the time, and I think Mike came with us once).

Jamesbo, your guess is as good as mine re: the direction. I have to confess I gets turned around up in da hills. If I were just a little industrious, I could look at a map and see exactly which way Hwy 76 is oriented -- as I can see it (along with that little overpass) in the background of that picture. It was along about 4 p.m. when the pics were taken, FYI. Also, those two were taken at different places in the hike, and the paths tend to zig-zag thru the hills. The little valley you see is just the houses and farms down below us, along Lower Bell Creek Road, which is all technically Hiawassee, but well outside "city" limits.

Pics du jour:

Taken last week along a hiking path at Jackrabbit Mountain.

This is a little place right below us that's for sale. Owners couldn't manage the whole "biresidential" thing: consolidated all their belongings in Florida.

Inline, interesting story about the Cutlass procurement. Sounds like a "win-win." There was a time I'd have loved one of those. It's a real "Rocket" V8, too, huh? I think they started putting the Chivvy V8s in some Delta 88s around '77 or '78 -- of course, without so much as a mention to the customers. A year later came a pretty big class-action lawsuit against GM for giving folks 350 Chivvy motors when they thought they were "paying for" Rockets. Gee... Not that I'm cynical, but there seems to be a pattern with The General thru the years.....

Mike, hope you weren't in the Cobb Co. Awful House when an old man (probably not many years my senior) drove his Element thru the front wall! Was glad to hear nobody was injured (or worse).

Clint, cool ride.... Don't be offended, but do you feel that the '56s are kind of the poor man's 55s? Never did appreciate the front or back the same as I did the '55s. But that's a swell example. Everything looks so period-correct, including that louvering. Could be right out of Grease.

My friend Gene in MI informed me this morning he's officially in the hunt for a '57 Coupe de Ville. I could probably spend days finding a few for him, then he'd give' em a quick look, and decide against it... so I know to take his requests with just a grain or two of salt. But that would be a fun one to drive to the next MI car show.

Dan, "my" Mancelona junk yard has just about anything "vintage" you could ever dream of. It can be tough to navigate, though, and you will spend hours looking for stuff (and getting lost if you're like me). It epitomizes just why they're called "junk yards." I hope to go visit in June when I go up to visit Gene and attend the Bay Harbor show.

Y'all have a great one, Oldsmochums.
Whelpt,

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 6th, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:05 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone. Tired today, I watched the season finale of TWD last night and I was wired after watching it. So I stayed awake and finished painting the bathroom. If I feel energized here tonight, maybe I'll put the new toilet in. Making progress, almost there.

Clint - that's a beautiful car. Guess he doesn't like the way it runs or does he just want to put fuel injection emblems on the fenders? Love that picture too, I need to find a poster of that!

Jamesbo - you're so right, l love seeing 60 year old cars too and they look much better than the women of the same vintage.

Inline - that's a lot of tax dollars but I have to say that the purchase price for that car is really great. $2,600 is a really good deal. Interesting info on your taxes and work, not very motivating to want to work if you're just going to give it all back to them.
Old April 6th, 2016, 08:42 PM

Great paint color on the '56 Bowtie.
Old April 6th, 2016, 11:09 PM

Good Morning everyone. Cloudy but pretty warm day coming. Some greasing and then????

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Amaz'in how much better cars look at 60 + years dan hippie chicks
God you own me new keyboard

CQR - That car looks amazing! Even the colour. Are those louvers some period-correct thing then? A car i can only dream about.
Looks to be in great shape too.

Bee-Oh-Pee - Yes its olds 350. I have one ´72 350 block and 7a heads laying on my workshop floor. Need to build it, the engine in my car is really tired. Plan is to build that one in workshop and lift it in Place of the original, and then repair the original to minimize downtime. You have beautiful scenery right around your house. Even lakes.

OLD SKL 69 - Good luck with your bathroom, hope you get it soon done. I believe wife would appreciate it

Last edited by Inline; April 7th, 2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old April 7th, 2016, 03:19 AM

Well, now its greased. I found 11 greasing points from front-suspension & steering, i think i found pretty much them all. Didnt found any from rear-axle, and found out my cardan u-joints were non-greasable models.
By the way, is there some manual more i want to buy? I currently have assembly and service manuals. Is there out some manual which would benefit me?

The car tax decision came too, 192$. After its payed i get my licence plates.

Last edited by Inline; April 7th, 2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old April 7th, 2016, 05:04 AM

Wohoo!!! Owners son called, next monday we start to fill my bank account!
Bye Bye boring vacation, work,here i come! This season may end up being really fat to wallet if gossips hold true.
Old April 7th, 2016, 05:26 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

I do like the 55's the best out of the 3.

Have a Thursday
Old April 7th, 2016, 05:39 AM

Mawn'in all

Heck of a storm las nite.

Mike, Scot, John everyone OK?

Inline, Congrats on go'in back to werk. { I think]

Clint, What amazes me de most about dem ole Chebys /Fords is how much room ya got to work wit under de hood.

John, If ya hear any banjos playing on your strolls I'd run.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old April 7th, 2016, 06:51 AM

Ummmm why that [ i think ]

Had to go buy beer to celebrate my last days at vacation.
Next 7-8 months im going to "live" at work. Best months go over 300 hours of work/ month. Fridays our bosses try to keep just as 8-hour days to get long weekend for us.
Day begins at 6am and ends when it ends. Longest shift ive been ever was 4 years ago, 33 hour. I have pretty many 24hour shifts under belt too. And good 2-week period ( we get payed every 2nd week) can net me over 1,5x i get now in a month.

God im exited. If i love something besides my wifey, its my work. On the turn my wifey dont love my work so much, cant blame him.

Last edited by Inline; April 7th, 2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:26 AM

That hippie chick looked to be fulfilling the 'grass, gas, or ***' classic travel policy.

I should start posting in this thread. About to finish my home renovation, have some pictures.
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone and welcome Koda.

Got to the Awful house late this morning because I slept late because it started thundering right when I wanted to go to bed. So I stayed up until 2, when the thunder had stopped. Silly puppies. Anyway, one guy was still there, another guy who was there and gone came back, and another guy was later than me, so it was still a full house.

So we only got a few minutes of rain, which was rather heavy, a little bit of wind, then it was just thunder. Nice out this morning.

My favorite of the three Chev's is the 57, but my favorite Nomad is the 56. Though I wouldn't turn any of them down should they cruise into my driveway.

This afternoon I'm going to take the dogs to get their shots. They've only been expired since February. Funny the place didn't say anything when they were there a couple weeks ago. Most of them are just "policy" by the kennel's owner that they have to have them, but the one is rabies and if they don't get that then I'll get in trouble. So, it's only 300 bucks or so for both dogs. Money is overrated anyway.

Okay off I go. Last day off. Happy Thursday everyone.
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all... Yes, we're OK up here, although a lot of stuff got blown around and we got a soaking & a light show. But I didn't lose any sleep. Looks beautiful right now, but they're sayin' 50% chance of Elsie rearing her ugly head this afternoon.

Clint, my statement sounded opinionated and snobbish when I looked back at it... thanks for not whoopin' me with that battery cable hangin' on ur wall.
Originally Posted by CQR
I do like the 55's the best out of the 3.
Mike, shots is expensive.... We gave up on 'em for the kitties years ago, but we don't let 'em venture a foot outside, and just hope for the best.

Inline, I'm with Jamesbo: "Congrats (I think)." Jamesbo, if I ever hear Dueling Banjos up here, I puts on my Nike runnin' shoes...

Koda, welcome! What part of the country (or world) to you hail from?

Y'all have a great one, Oldsmopals.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 7th, 2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old April 7th, 2016, 11:34 AM

X 2 Koda Where ya from. You do know this thread keeps records and perfect attendance is required.
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:36 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Lots of work to do today, after being out making business calls all day, I took a break to have dinner and hang out with the family for a couple of hours and then back to the office. I just finished for the night and figured I'd say hello.

Inline - yes congrats on going back to work. I like some time off like everyone else but 5 months would be way too long for me.

Clint - I'm with you, I prefer the 55's as well.

Hope to have more free time tomorrow, night all.
Old April 8th, 2016, 04:44 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

IDK, I'd be happy to try 5 months off. I think I may start that about 40 minutes after the funeral.

John, Not snooty at all. We each have our preferences. I really don't care for the 56 tail lights, but I think I like the 56 front fenders better.

Koda, Welcome to the nuthouse.

Jamesbo, not sure how much the FI system is going to take up. Should be an interesting swap,

Inline, that is the first car I've seen with the louvers at an angle like that. but I guess it looks ok.

Darrell, The gas is getting so bad anymore for a carbed vehicle. it's getting near impossible to start without blowing black after a hot soak. His motor is pretty tired (we mentioned it when we put a 700R4 in it last year. and his missus ok'd about $10k as long as it sounds cool.)

Dan, I love the burgandy color.

Have a Weekend.
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:51 AM

Mawn'in all

Cool blue bird day down ere

John, Remember Joe Patten [The phantom of the Fox] He passed away yesterday @ 89 wonder whose gonna take his place. No one I'd venture to guess

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/p...re-dies/nq2WM/

Speak'in of 50's Cheby's.Every year I go to a meeting of the Buckhead Boys My high school was made famous when James Dickey [a la Deliverance] wrote a poem about going back to his old hang outs [ drug store/pool hall etc. ] and looking for his high school friends. Every year I see a bunch of guys and can remember EXACTLY what they drove in high school. Most popular was 55 Cheby in primer.

Welp, Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old April 8th, 2016, 08:59 AM

Jamesbo, Scot and Mike, did the tornadoes steer clear of you?
Old April 8th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Good evening. I got quick-start to work, today when i was still sleeping, my friend called can you change tires? Umm yea, i was 4 years ago on car repair shop and did it quite alot.
Kk, get some dirty clothes and be in 30min in Place X.
So there i spend 10,5 hours today. God, my back was hurting after 4 months at home. But it get okay as the time passed.
Tomorrow to help them again. Reason they called was that their one worker got sick and summer-tire swap season is hot now.

Now, to sauna.. Best invention ever. Period.

Last edited by Inline; April 8th, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old April 8th, 2016, 12:01 PM

Hello.

Evansville, IN as I finally put to the left here, is where I am. Haven't quite finished my house renovation yet, but it is my address.

Trying to get my old dirty air cleaner as a picture, we'll see if it shows up.

BOP, pet medicine is expensive, and it's interesting to see where people draw the line. It makes an illuminating counterpoint to human "medicine at any cost" medicine.

Tire machines are hard work; I've got a bunch of old 15 inch Ford van wheels for my dad's Club Wagon once I get it up here (it's on 14s now) and they'll need some nasty de-tiring.

Edit: there's its nasty chromed self.

Last edited by Koda; April 8th, 2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old April 8th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Sunny and cold today. Well, 60. Not cold considering, but anything lower than 70 to me is cold.

That's too bad about Joe Patten. My guess would be some muckity muck will want to move into that palatial apartment. Probably the same guy that was trying to kick him out some years ago.

John I would rather the dogs not have their shots, either, but if I don't get them then they can't stay when I'm out of town. It's all a racket.

No tornado's around here, Dan. Tis the season, though.

Wish I had my own tire machine. I have several tires that are scrap that I just want the rims they're on. Been looking online to see if I could buy one, but they are tres expensive.

Work tonight. Time to get to it. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old April 8th, 2016, 04:11 PM

Dan, We're all safe and sound [physically if not mentally]