The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old December 13th, 2015, 05:22 PM

as soon as I read the first few words of your story, I thought "Scammers."
Yup, exactly what I thought. About 30 years ago, when I did my own taxes, about two months after I had received my refund, I went to my mailbox only to see a letter from the IRS!!! yikes, dread, inside was a letter explaining that I had messed up, and a check for remainder of the amount that I was due
Old December 14th, 2015, 04:34 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Spose to snow again tonight/tomorrow. Only a couple more inches. but just enough to be an annoyance.

Hope everyone has a Monday.
Old December 14th, 2015, 05:42 AM

Mawn'in all

Elsie's on de way so no smack'in whitey dis Monday

John, Jes when I thought the Dirty Birds couldn't get worse................they did I had to turn it off, It was like Custer at de Little Big Horn. Slaughter

Mike, P'tree Industrial ain't exactly close but give me a shout if ya get up dis way early.

I'm gonna give my bud in de mountains all de stuff fer a tune up on his Dodge truck fer Christmas. He's been weld'in de frame about once a year for 5 years to keep de POS from fall'in apart.

Welp, Have a great week Olds friends
Old December 14th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', folks. I had to delete that last post. It wasn't like I was keepin' Troy Aikman awake at night; I guess everybody wants to create the world to his likin' - and Joe Buck and Troy Aikman ain't .... I could go down the list, but for what? I'm certainly outside the bell curve.

In any case, just to have the last word, most of those guys remind me of a cross between The Fonze and Vince Fontaine (from "Grease"). Jamesbo, Vince -- really Edd Byrnes -- played Kookie in one of your favorite shows, "77 Sunset Strip."

So thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I really do want to watch the Saints play -- even though they're currently vying with the Dirty Birds for the bottom of the NFL heap. I have to say, though, that they played respectably yesterday. If they could keep that up, they could finish the season with their chins held high. But alas, their trademark is inconsistency.

To get to pleasantries: Rain and winds were right on schedule last night; got maybe an inch or so over a few hours, so wasn't the end of the world. Today is about 20* cooler than it's been -- much more "seasonal." More elsie (and even cooler temps, they say) are on the way for mid-week.

Y'all have a great Monday, Oldsmofriends.Time to start reassembling the house in preparation for the return of better half manana....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 14th, 2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rain. You know I don't think we've had rain for a couple of weeks. Supposed to be nice tomorrow and then rain again on Thursday. Hm. And be cold.

John it doesn't seem like Better Half has been gone all that long. Hope everyone is well up that way.

Jamesbo I'm headed to Marietta tonight instead. Not sure how close to the pizza place I'll be but you can bet I'll look.

A guy at work had that same phone call. He listened to their shtick and then looked up the number for the IRS and called them. They said the IRS will never call anyone on the phone. He gave them the info where he was supposed to send money, etc. No clue whatever happened. Except that they moved from Georgia to New York.

Got a couple errands this afternoon and also the dogs have to go to jail. Last I heard the rain is supposed to be gone by tonight. It isn't going to help evening traffic, though.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old December 15th, 2015, 12:26 AM

Morning all.
Light rain and warm for the time of year, supposed to be record December temps over the next few days, weird weather, must be the El Nino effect. I have even gone back to wearing my shorts for work!!

Just hired my car for my Christmas trip to California, they didn't have much choice left but I ended up with a Chevy Impala, any good?

Have a great day.
Old December 15th, 2015, 04:08 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Almost time to hit the road. Nice long trip to my Mom's today, so I'll have plenty of time to overthink the things that are on my mind these days.

London I've only sat in the Impala but it is like sitting in a space ship. Way cool. I know a guy that had one as a rental car and he liked it.

Went to look at a van that would have ended up as parts for my Dodge. The body was okay, but the things I wanted the most didn't work. The radio, the power windows. The fuse box had some sort of meltdown. Also, something was bound in the steering and the wheels wouldn't steer. But it was a happy coincidence that it was about 10 minutes from my favorite pizza so all's well that ends well. It was a challenge trying to park a 40 foot rig in their parking lot, though.

Okay time to go. See you all in a couple. Odd, suddenly every word is underlined in red like it's misspelled. It's always something with this website.
Old December 15th, 2015, 05:33 AM

Mawn'in all

Nice cool mawn'in

London, I haven't sat in an Impala since 1966 but the SS 396 were cool

Mike, Safe travels. Please go to de Coffee Cup and get sum Nassau grits when you're down in Pensacola

Clint, Y'all gett'in de white stuff

Wall Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:38 AM

Jamesbo, that ain't right, fortunately I have a strong constitution. The El Nino is keeping us pretty mild, no snow and temps 20° above normal, we had 30" of snow a year ago. We will be getting cooler, but still above normal temps for the next week or so.
Old December 16th, 2015, 05:32 AM

Mawn'in all

A mite chili dia mawn'in

Gotta go eat sum Ropa vieja at de local Cuban place with an ole Emory bud fer lunch Yum

John, Don't ferget to dust under de Frigidaire.

Mike, I hope you're gett'in sum good sea food down there

Clint, I'm a mighte confused. Are you quitting snow plowing?

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 16th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Captain Starfire

I dun dusted, Jamesbo. Danke.

That looks a lot nicer than ropa la interior.... Makin' me hungry. Oh wait, I was hungry before.

Clint, are things as bad there as they've shown on the news?
Old December 16th, 2015, 07:34 PM
GM Enthusiast

Well, if he's going to bring back Oldsmobile, he's got my vote. LOL Not to be political, but I'll start believing in politicians again when they actually do what they promise to do.

Another nice one here today, 52 and sunny. Going down into the 40's for Saturday and Sunday and then rebounding again next week. Don't think we're going to have a white Christmas, no matter how much the kids would like it.

London - I drove a new Impala, it was a nice ride. It had a 4 cylinder engine. I thought it was peppy, but that was on flat roads. Not sure how it would do on hilly terrain, loaded down with more people and luggage. If I was buying one, I would get the six.

Clint- how much white stuff do you have on the ground right now? Bet the garden of the gods looks beautiful.

Got a few minutes before bed, going to go out and work in the garage for a little bit. Night all.
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:52 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, no I'm not quitting plowing (I really only do it for myself anyway) I bought an old Bronco with a plow on it for a good price this past spring(Great time to buy a plow) and am looking to fund some of my Festivus by selling it during snow season.

Darrell We got just around a foot out of this last storm.

John, No it's not that bad. This is a normal snow for us, but in the 24-7 news cycle they have to blow everything out of proportion. They just missed the mark and forecast 1-2" and we got hit with a foot.

Have a day all.
Old December 17th, 2015, 05:49 AM

Mawn'in all

Kinda dank wit Elsie com'in and go'in

Clint, Dat makes sense to me now

Mike,, Ya gett'in wet down in de pan handle?

John, I think we both STAY hungry

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old December 17th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik mernin' to all --

Glad you survived the flurries, Clint.

Is it lunch time yet? Jamesbo, every time I look at that ropa vieja, all I can think of is the likely effects about 2 hours after consumption. Can you say, "Pull my finger"?

Hola, Darrell. Enjoy the tropical climes!

Mike, say Hi to Mom for us all. Hope to maybe see you in a couple weeks?

Still overcast here, but supposed to see a little of Sol today and get much cooler today and tonight.

Y'all have a great day of Thor, Oldsmofriends.
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:33 AM

Really John,
?

How 'bout sum camarones enchilados [spiced shrimp]
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Captain Starfire

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Really John?
How 'bout sum camarones enchilados [spiced shrimp]
Lord love a duck! I could get a job at the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab.
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago and am getting ready to go get the dogs. Had a nice trip. Didn't have any seafood.

The Mustang, which is now 18 months old, just turned 6000 miles. Whoo I better quit driving it before I rack up too many miles.

Nice yesterday and the day before but had rain last night, and drove through rain all the way home. But now the sun is coming out. It's wet here but don't know how much rain we got.

Gonna unpack the car and get the dogs and relax a little. Check you all later.
Old December 17th, 2015, 05:00 PM
GM Enthusiast

Mike- I like the newer mustangs, they are really good driving cars. 6,000 isn't that bad in 18 months. What is the engine size, color, etc?

I know what you mean about mileage, I've got 4,200 on my Silverado since May, have to keep the keys hidden from my wife.

Jamesbo - that looks mighty tasty. Only problem is, spicy going in, spicy coming out!

Clint- Is that much snow in the Springs unusual? Seemed like a pretty dry place when I was there.

John - Its been like the tropics here compared to what we usually get. 58 again here today, dropping back to the 40's over the weekend and then back to the 50's and even 60's by next weekend. I don't mind, I get to keep driving the cars.
Old December 18th, 2015, 04:39 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Boy that sure looks good. I think we're gonna have to go to Tequilas this weekend. Been too long.

Mike that thing has to be about wore out. You gonna trade it in on a new 'Maro? Or maybe a Challenger?

Darrell, Its not at all uncommon. usually 3-4 storms thru the winter like that and many smaller snows is normal. Our landscape drains quickly. But we get most of out Moisture in the winter.

Have a weekend all. I think there is a little room left on the visa card so I can finish my shopping this weekend.
Old December 18th, 2015, 05:43 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili ***** fer de 1st time/

John, OK back to basics

GTG to a meeting dis mawn'in I hate meetings, malls and movies [walk ins]
Old December 18th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all.... Mite chili dis mawnin', to coin a phrase. But I guess compared to certain folks in states that start with "C-O," 'taint nuttin'. Saw 39* on Avalon's readout at around 6:30 a.m. Hot coffee provides its own kind of joy on mornings like this. Bought a couple bags of 8 O'Clock whole bean dark Italian roast and I have to say, 'taint bad. I don't even have to blend in any of my CDM coffee & chicory when I use this stuff.

I think the declaration for the removal of the statues of Confederate war heros from prominent locations in the city of N.O. made national news yesterday. This is another event that totally validates our leaving my native city (and the city I loved) 10 years ago. It's lunacy. The monument to Robert E. Lee, in the center of Lee Circle in the CBD, has welcomed Mardi Gras revelers, N.O. tourists, and N.O. denizens since 1884. Very sad -- and I say that literally.

Eventually they won't need tours of the city 'cause there'll be nothing left to see.

Whelpt, let me get to it, Oldsmofriends. Have a great Freya's day.

p.s.: Jamesbo, dat ain't nice to put dat in my sight... ya' makin' me hungrier.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 18th, 2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old December 18th, 2015, 09:52 AM

Morning. Got my ears lowered, picked up a gift, got grub to take to work for all, and saw a plate of mouth watering chicken online!
Old December 18th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold as a mother out. Gonna be down in the 20s tonight, hope the wind stops. Makes the 63* in the house seem down right roasting.

Clint I was thinking on the way back from Florida I wouldn't mind something different. Though as much as I drive that car, every time I get in it it's something different. I still don't like the trans, and the Ford place says there's nothing they can do for it. This car is a perfect reason for not letting the salesman talk you into settling for something you don't want. I really wanted a stick shift, but production had ended and the nearest stick shift(which I believe was blue, another thing I wanted) was alllll the way in North Carolina. Sheesh what I dope I was. Darrell my car is a grey 6 cylinder convertible.

Jamesbo that's what I'm talking about!

Okay off to work. Only two this week because I took last night off. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old December 19th, 2015, 06:16 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike, Maybe one of the Trans am conversions?

Well off to battle. Have a weekend all.
Old December 19th, 2015, 08:45 AM

Nice new Super Chicken

GTG funeral today den headed to de mountains
Old December 19th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Was sunny today, but cold. Cold last night. Cold tonight. Hm, the Winter Solstice is two days away. The good news is then the days start getting longer.

Clint the Camaro is a been there done that. Not a fan of the Trans Am makeovers. I think the only one I have left is the Challenger. I've always found Chryslers to be way overpriced.

Got to put gas in the car before work. I already know I have a POS lead tonight. More than a couple of times I've come this close to going to the foreman and telling him to get me off this guy's crew. I don't want to be that guy, but this man is literally unbearable. No one seems interested in reeling this guy in, and it sets a dangerous precident allowing him to keep at his unacceptable behavior, and sends the message that others can act like that too and get away with it. And, the trend is now if you go to HR and complain then suddenly something bad happens because of you and you're out the door.

Well, it's Friday so I don't much care. Hope everyone has a good weekend, less than a week before Santa comes.
Old December 20th, 2015, 05:43 AM

Morning, time for coffee.
Old December 20th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Captain Starfire

Not much sun on this sun-day, but bottom o'th'mornin' to ya' in any case. (2 minutes left as I begin writing.)

I became a Godfather again last night... 'Twas a very nice little Baptism, with too much food and a good amount of socializing at the delighted parents' home in Metairie.

Hope yer coffee was as good as mine, Dan.

Whelpt, this is the 4th Sunday in Advent; ol' St. Nick is gettin' ready to drop down the chimleys. A PBS feature on the old Andy Williams Christmas specials was on this morning. Brings back memories of much more civilized times on the airwaves, with singing groups like the Osmond Brothers & the Clinger Sisters. I hope ol' Andy is smiling down at all the silver-hair's watching his 50-yr-old specials.

Actually switched to a smart phone on Thursday; still learnin' the ropes. One thing I was disappointed in (but not totally surprising) was that I asked the woman assisting me whether I'd keep my existing voice-mails (since I was keeping the same provider, carrier, and phone number) when I made the switch; she assured me I would. Of course, I didn't. Started with a clean slate. I wanted to keep a few years-old messages of Aunt Connie when she was at the nursing home. But life continues.

Mike, you need to sell a few of the hulks and trade in (or sell outright) the
Stang and get one you really are crazy over. (Don't you just love people telling you what you ought to do? I do! ) Maybe you could even get a year-end deal on a new Challenger Hellcat, since you aren't crazy about the looks of the newest Stang.

Jamesbo, enjoy the hills. Hope your customer rests in peace.

We have a break from the Black & Gold today and will be "blessed" with their appearance on Monday Night Football vs. DEE-troit, hosted by Al "Brooklyn Boy" Michaels tomorrow night in N.O. The Lions are one of the few NFL teams with a worse record than the Saints this year, but we all know anything can happen on any given Monday. Our new defensive coordinator Dennis Allen seems to be slowly turning around the worst defense in the league over the last few weeks. Hope the trend continues.

OK, Oldsmofriends -- y'all have a great one.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 22nd, 2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old December 20th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little early, got some good sleep, wasted some time looking at the internet, now I'm headed to the shop to do some surveying. Surprise of surprises I got to work last night and found that I had been swapped to a good lead's crew. We only have a couple good leads so on my Friday, what a nice surprise.

John I hear that all the time. At least coming from another car person it has a little more relevance. Unlike, say, my mother who looks upon a car as an appliance. There really isn't anything new that I'm head over heals for. On the other hand, give me the keys to a 72 Ferrari Dino...

Okay gonna get something done with the rest of the afternoon. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Santa should be finishing up the PSV on the sleigh.
Old December 20th, 2015, 02:39 PM

Well, John a pretty sad day when our football teams meet on MNF, I haven't been optimistic about the Lions in forever...which is why I became a Pats fan years ago, helmed by a Michigan alum.
Old December 20th, 2015, 07:12 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Busy weekend, it was my Nana's birthday and our dogs. Went to go visit the pooch today and give him some love, he's 15 now. Not bad for a dog that was given 6 months to live about 3 years ago due to CHF.

Got home before the 3rd quarter to see my team the Steelers beat the Broncos. I think we still need either the Chiefs or Jets to lose a game to help us get into the playoffs.

We got our small blast of winter over the weekend. I think it made it into the low 40's both days. Supposed to warm up again tomorrow to the mid 50's.

John - sorry to hear that your carrier erased your messages. I have Verizon, and when I upgraded to a new phone, my messages carried over. That was one smart phone to another, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Mike - I have mixed feelings about the new Mustang too. Not sure the design is an improvement over the last generation. I'm still a fan of the Challenger, I rented one over the summer and enjoyed the ride. I like the new Camaro too. I want to go to the dealership to see it when they come in.

Well, have to get things set for another birthday tomorrow (wife's), have a good night everyone.
Old December 21st, 2015, 04:55 AM

Mawn'in all

GTG runn'in late and whitey awaits a woop'in
Old December 21st, 2015, 06:50 AM
CQR

Mornin. Feelin like excrement today. Gonna try to get thru it.

Have a Monday.
Old December 21st, 2015, 07:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I was the lone wolf at the Awful house this morning. My friends weren't there and I sat at the high counter all by myself. Well until Clyde came in which was about the time I was leaving.

Cloudy today. Supposed to rain all week, I hope it doesn't. Thought I'd put new belts on the convertible today. I'll charge up the battery, give it a quick wash, and if I'm really ambitious, I'll pull off a couple wheels and look at the brakes.

Clint I hope you feel better. Is this a result of something or just in general?

Darrell I had a new Camaro when they came out in '10. It was an okay car, not as nice as I thought it would be, but the real problem was there was something wrong with the trans and the dealer pretty much blew me off about it. I got to where I just hated driving the car so it went away.

Well have a good day everyone. Jamesbo smack him good.
Old December 21st, 2015, 11:02 PM

Sorry about that outcome John!
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:53 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike. I think it may have been the Camarones I had this weekend. So I guess we can blame it on Jamesbo.

Whats the difference between a dollar and the Broncos?

You can get 4 quarters out of a dollar.

Have a day all.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 05:32 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili wit a heavy mist

John, Don't get me started on this PC bull$hit. If we'd stop frisking Norwegian grandmothers at the airports and focus on de obvious problem life would be so much simpler.

BTW Master Robert's portrait has also been removed from a place it hung downtown fer 50 + years. I'm protesting by continuing to genuflect ever time I pass by the spot it used to hang

Clint, Hope you're feel'in better

Hey, De blind pig/ acorn theory is fer real. De Falcoons won on sunday

Mike, I would come down and had sum scattered covered and smothered with cha

Welp, Gotta starte wrapp'in crap

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old December 22nd, 2015, 05:33 AM
Captain Starfire

Dan, Y'all really deserved that win! We stunk up the Dome for 2 full quarters. Not too surprised. The Saints frequently make so-so teams look like the Steelers of '74. The defense seemed to be coming around, but yesterday they reverted to Week 5.

Good one, Clint....

Darrell, I'm sure it had something to do with moving from a "cheapo" phone and service plan to the smart phone w/ "real" data plan. Better half and I just bought the same kind of phone and activated them; but she had a smart phone w/ data plan before, and she kept all her voice mails. You'd think the Malaysians on the phone might just know that. (Speaking of "Don't start me....")

Y'all have a great one, Olds buds.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; December 22nd, 2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 06:41 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Stayed up way later than I should have last night, so when the dogs came to get me at 7, I thought no way. So I went back to bed for a little while longer. Might do Awful house for lunch. Jamesbo I'll save you a spot at the high counter.

Cold and misty down here as well. Didn't get the convertible worked on, got caught up in a bunch of little things. I think I'm going to quit making plans, they never seem to work out anyway. Whatever gets done, that's what I planned.

Slow to get moving. Got a couple errands to run so I better get with it. Have a good day everyone.

Search this Thread