The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
Cutlass Lover

I hate a cold toilet seat, lol!! I had to go into Twinsburg at lunch time. Roads are now clear, which is a wonderful thing! It's still cold though. 12 whole degrees. Not counting wind chill factor..... at least it stopped snowing.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
By the way, that damn toliet seat is COLD! how did our forefathers ever survive?

Well first off de didn't have toilets.

De one I'm try'in to figger out is about George Washington. He grew pineapples in his greenhouse. How much wood ya think his help had to cut to keep a greenhouse hot enough to grow pineapples. I tried in once in my greenhouse, Had de perfect one almost ready to pick and a frigg'in chipmonk ate de sucker. Maybe George left sum cats in his greenhouse, Ya think?

Speak'in of critters, I saw my first ground hog out yesterday. Maybe de monsoons gave him a wet dream and woke him up.
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:12 AM
Captain Starfire

Now that's just tood dern cold, Sandy. You need to move to Hammond and be near yer buddies....

Hate dem food hangovers, Mike. Hopin' we can all meet up at Big Al's Pizza in Hiawassee real soon. Man, dat's sum good pizza, yeah! They have a buffet, but when you get there at 5, they actually ask you what kind of pizza you like and that's what they make... best of all worlds; plus, the buffet includes the soup (home-made, or at least, made on premises) & salad bar. Jamesbo threatened over the holidays, but alas, the weather reared its ugly head.....

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
By the way, that damn toliet seat is COLD! how did our forefathers ever survive?
They must've built a fire near the privvy and then pre-warmed their corn cobs....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 1st, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:31 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Speak'in of critters, I saw my first ground hog out yesterday. Maybe de monsoons gave him a wet dream and woke him up.
Did he see his shadow? Wasn't Gen. Beauregard Lee himself was it?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. It was crap having to throw out a few hundred dollars worth of food but ya get that.

I have grown some pineapples at my place before Jamesbo, they were real nice too, sorry you didn't get to try the one you had

I reckon wooden seats don't get as cold as the plastic ones we have now days

Have a good day mates

Adrian
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Bright and shiny out, and only 30*. I hope it warms up some, I want to do some stuff outside.

Nothing exciting at the junkyard yesterday. I need a rear window for my Suburban, but it's a funky laminated one, and of course it isn't available through any glass place. Found a window that sort of looks right, but was retracted into the gate, and I can't tell if it's the one I need. I'm going to double check the window in my truck today, to see if I can tell just from the top edge of the glass, and maybe go back and look tomorrow to see if it's the same. If it is then I get to rip and tear to get the glass out. And hopefully not break the glass.

So the "official" groundhog in Pennsylvania has declared an early spring. That's nice. But he's only right 39% of the time. Hope he's right this year.

Well I better do something today. Got an extra day off tomorrow, I'll probably just screw around all day so today has to count. Be good everyone.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:52 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Happy Groundhog Day

Clear and chilly this mawnin.

Wow Mike a '79 Suburban is something you don't see everyday. Usually most junkyards will have a parts and glass interchange program so they can sell the parts easier. You may want to see if they can tell you what years will interchange with yours.

Well Jamesbo snail mail picked up the pace as it looks like it was delivered yesterday instead of today I wound up with 137 of those things from May of '50 through March of '88
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:15 AM

afternoon

Tanks Scot, I'll be home from de mountains tomorrow and get it off de poach.

Hey Sandy, It's snow'in up ere in de mountains. I would post a pic but I'm pretty srue ya know what snow looks like.

Talk 'bout slapp'in togehter a building. Ere's a chinesium hotle built in 15 days.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Captain Starfire

Wow!

Gorgeous day in LA today. That white stuff is beautiful in the mountains, Jamesbo.... wish I were there to see it. I'd even walk up the mountain if I had to....
Better half is headed up on Monday, lucky girl.
Workin' on the to-do list today, taking advantage of the weather conditions. Everybody else, stay warm!
Should be interesting to see the commercials in the game tomorrow; but now, they're so previewed, hyped, and ballyhooed on social-media, it's almost anticlimactic to see them.
Personally, I'm not a Beyonce fan, so half time will be a non-event for me. I'd rather see some half-dead old rockers like the Stones or Aerosmith rip a vocal cord.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening All!

We had snow all day. Got about 4-1/2" and it was 24 degrees, but the wind chills are still cold. I'm about tired of this crap!! I shoveled a path off the deck and to where we could get to the trash can and recycling container. Shoveled out in front too. Cleared off in front of the breezeway doors. Larry finally plowed the drive around 5. I couldn't even tell where the edges of the driveway were! I hate winter...

There were a lot of birds out at the feeders today. I enjoyed watching them. Had a couple sets of Cardinals out there a few times. He looks so pretty with his red self against the snow.

I got the house cleaning and laundry done. Nicole helped before she left. I made a loaf of cinnamon struesel quick bread, which was yummy, lol. Larry made a pot of beef and noodles.

I really need to get some touch up painting done inside the house while the weather is crappy and I can't be outside. I just can't get up the energy for it though. I'll probably go up and take Lin shopping tomorrow, if it's decent weather. don't have anything planned, really.

well you all have a good evening.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Happy Ground Hog day people!
OUR Groundhog came out and said, "WTH is this?" Looked at the snow falling and beat it back underground. I for one won't be disappointed with an early spring. The temps have been climbing steadily and it's supposed to be above freezing next few days. What came down today looked like what Jamesbo posted.

Another positive thing - the city FINALLY got around to removing all the big windrows from the main street. Took them almost 3 hours to do our neighborhood. 6 graders 8 big tandem dump trucks and 2 giant snowblowers. That gives us back another 11' of road that had been plowed under.

I'm not even a little bit amused at the price of fuel lately. 2 weeks ago it was around 85¢/litre (3.23/US gal). In the last 2 weeks it has jumped to 106.9/litre (4.18/US gal). For no good reason either. I just looked at Gas Buddy dot com and if I had to take a trip across Canada, it would be further but cheaper go head south and go through the US than stay in Canada.

Jamesbo - that hotel is really impressive. Very cool pre-fab engineering. The thing they have going for them is no unions and no unions. Work or die. Still, it's very impressive what they've done there.

Adrian - sorry to hear about the spoilage. I'd hate to think what would happen here if we lost power. Got 2 fridges, and a big freezer that would be really a mess. Glad you're holding out ok.

John - Sorry, everytime I see LA, I keep thinking of Los Angeles. Hope y'all got the streets paved wit gold for the SB tomorra! I might even watch it. I flipped a coin to figure out who would win and de coin said Ravens. We'll see. I had to flip de coin many more times to come up wit de final score 31-22. If de coin proves true I'm going to use it to buy some lottery tickets.

Mike - you want me to keep a lookout for that glass for you? I checked our local pick n pull but nothing. I also checked for GMC suburbans but they also seem to be really scarce.

Anyone know if the number 371 is significant for anything automotive???
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:44 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Allan R
Anyone know if the number 371 is significant for anything automotive???
371 Olds engine '57 - '60 IIRC Very desirable hot rod engine

371 Blower (small) great for street applications

and 710 = Earl
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks Scot. LOL on the 710. We zinged Sandy with that a few years ago and I don't think she ever forgot it.

Reason I ask about 371 is I kept having this recurring dream last night about a car with a 371 engine. Never heard of it before. How strange is that??? BTW I never remember my dreams but for some reason I did this time.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
"Car"mudgeon

In the late 50's and early, early 60's almost everyone ran either the 371 or the 394 Olds engines. They were the go fast edge for those that drag raced. Heck I've seen a vintage photo from '58 that had a '57 Vette with a 371 shoehorned in place of the 283. Even today nostalgia drag race enthusiasts are still scarfing them up for their vintage 1/4 mile monsters.

371 312hp J-2

Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Scot, Thank you. Want to know what's really coincidental? In my dream I also saw bling VCs. You're a great wealth of info on this site and I'm glad you're here.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:52 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Some bling Vistas? Umm no that's just wrong Tanks Al for the complement I am a sponge when it comes to cool automotive history
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

LOL Scot. VC - valve cover in this case.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:24 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin All

Bluebird day here as Jamesbo would say

Dem nine'ers are hopefully going to going to tie the record of six stupor bowl championships with Pittsburgh. Either way someone will be upset because both the nine'ers and the ravens haven't been beat in the big game.

Gotcha Allan on the covers I thought you were referencing your dream and visioned a Vista with the darn big rims and snickers advertisement or something on it as well as the car with the 371

Anywho it's a perty day, so y'all have a good one and I'll catch you on the flip side
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:25 AM
Always room for one more

Well good morning.

Looks like I'm here all by myself. I suspect everyone is getting ready for the Superbowl. Not being a football fan, I'll be working in the yard all afternoon. Let's see, the last, and only, Superbowl I watched was 1986.

Beautiful here, again. Sunny and bright. I think gonna be 50 today, and into the 60s next week. We got a little bit of rain last night, just enough to make the firewood ineffective.

Scot I've got two Suburbans. I need the back glass for the 83. Went out to lower the window yesterday and found out the battery is dead. It doesn't surprise me, it's fairly old. The 79 I think is going to get cut up. It's got a lot of rust, the body is bent and the doors don't close right, it's got electrical problems. I hate to do it, but maybe I can keep the frame and build a 4x4 Vista Cruiser or something.

Allan thanks for the offer but I think shipping that glass would be the king's ransom. Knowing how the General does things I'd imagine the inside of the tailgate is completely different between the two pieces of glass. I guess since mine's a Silverado it gets the heavier laminated piece and regular Suburbans get the plate glass.

Time for the Awful house. I waited so long I'll get stuck in the church crowd. Then Walmart. Then yardwork. Looks like a good day shaping up.

Good luck to everyone with your teams and your pools.

Ah, Scot got me by a minute!
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:31 AM

Mawn'in all

Welp,

Snow jam 2013 is 'bout over in de mountains. It's melt'in but it spose to hit 24 tonite, Better beat feet befo dis turns to ice.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Sunday funday.
Huh? The neighbors next door have family visiting - no big surprise. What is a surprise though is they have this mangy looking huge dog with them and decided to turn it loose in back yard. Durn fool thing appears to be stunned or something. It's been standing outside barking it's fool head off for an hour. Sometimes I wonder bout people.

Nice up here - temps at 35 now and no wind. Very nice day with the hint of sunshine to come. It'll be sloppy and wet on the streets later. Can hardly wait to go mingle with the manically challenged minions out there that claim to have driving licenses. Got a full tank of washer fluid so I'm set.

Scot - LOL. I can't stand DONK cars so no worries about that thought of yours.

Mike - No worries. If I see anything on the web closer to you I'll send you a PM. I don't think there is any difference between the sheet metal or glass on GMC or Silverado though. Usually Silverado just had the beauty package inside and fancier paint.

Looks like I'll miss 'de big game' on TV. Kickoff is right about the time I have to head out for curling. It'll be over and done prolly by the time we're off the ice so not much point PVR ing it since everyone will spoil the punch line. Y'all get your guesses in to bigjerrs contest for another all olds calendar. Shutoff time is 3:00 pm standard.

Good luck to all you who place friendly wagers on the game, and for those who put their car up as collateral? Watch out for Vinnie and Luigi crusing da hood wit Ma.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:58 AM

Affernoon

jes got back from de frozen north [Gawga dat is]

Scot, Got de magazines-Thanks,

They're in great shape. I can't find a single page stuck together.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Yes I was very fortunate that most all of them are in that great of shape. The other two were just singles that have no others like them so I jest threw those in There are some great ads and articles in there somewhere
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Are y'all ready fer sum football?

Gotta go watch Da game

TTFN
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:41 PM
GM Enthusiast

Watching some of the game, really don't care who wins, as I'm not a fan of either team. I'm a proud member of Steeler Nation so it was a tough year since we did not even make the playoffs.

Got a coating of the white stuff this morning but it's gone already. Kids were disappointed.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
"Car"mudgeon

What's the over/under that the power would go out in the 3rd quarter?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:00 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
What's the over/under that the power would go out in the 3rd quarter?
Ha lol. Probably was Beyonce's halftime show put too much of a strain on their power system.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
"Car"mudgeon

No doubt

Finally the nine'ers score! But can they stop the ravens or will New Orleans power aka "entergy" stop the ravens?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:35 PM
GM Enthusiast

I think someone who is rooting for the 49'ers must have turned off the power because it definitely changed the momentum since then.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
"Car"mudgeon

It werked

We have a game now Otherwise it was over after the first play from the ravens.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening All!

Another cold day here. Cloudy, flurries, and 23 degrees. Its down to 19 now.

I treated us to breakfast this morning at Cracker Barrel. It was yummy! I'm ready for a change though. Next time I think we'll go to Bob Evans - I haven't had their sausage gravy and biscuits in a long time. That's a heavy breakfast.

Came home for a while then I left and went to Ravenna and took Lin shopping. Nicole took off to Tony's house. I got home after 6.

Larry has watched some of the Superbowl. Right now it's 28 - 20, Ravens ahead. Larry isn't a big sports watcher, me either. Clay and Steve will be talking about it all morning tomorrow, I'm sure. They love sports.

Well have a good evening all. Gotta get my stuff ready for work in the morning. The weekend is over....
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well get up everyone, lol!

Morning! It's snowing lightly here, temps at 19 degrees. Winter weather advisories are out for later on through tomorrow..... I'm really tired of this crap now!!

Got the morning sports report going on here this morning, lol. They can't believe the Ravens beat the 49ers. Don't make no difference to me, lol. Thank God the guys will be leaving Thursday afternoon (I think) for New York for the sales meeting. They will be gone all day Friday too!! I'm looking forward to being all by my lonesome. No heaters blasting, I can turn up my radio some.... it will be great!

No phone calls yet this morning.... hope it's not gonna be one of those days.

Nicole hits me with "What if I don't want to work in a vet's office after I'm done with this class" first thing this morning. I told her, well you have $5500 in student loans to pay back, this is all Larry and I can do to help you, it's all up to you. Then she accuses me of getting mad! I swear to God that kid can hear a tone in the voice that isn't there! So the fight is on then. I told her I never know how to answer her because she always says I'm mad, or I'm defensive, or whatever... I just left for work at that point. I suppose even if I said 'sweetie, you just continue to live with us forever, I'll pay all your bills, and when you decide to go live happily ever after with whatever crawls out from under a rock, end up with 3 kids in smelly diapers, living in your trailer, I'll be right there to support you' that would make her mad too! Just what I don't want to do on a Monday morning. Fight. This too shall pass.......

Well you all have a great Monday when ya wake up!!
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Captain Starfire

I'm awake, but barely....

Morning, Oldsmofriends. It was 42* at the Plantation and 57* by the time I got to work. Looks like the gorgeous weather was holding out just for the 'Bowl, as chances for the wet stuff go up to 70% tonite. And wet for the rest of the week, just in time for the resumption of the Carnival season.

Staying up "late" (10:15) to watch the end of the 'Bowl took its toll on me dis mawnin'.... man, can't seem to wake up. Fought the drow-zees all the way into work today. There was a big car fire on I-10 West crossing the Bonnet Carre Spillway, and all the rubber-neckers in my direction slowed to a crawl to get their 25-cent view. Real jackasses, IMHO... traffic was slowed down for over 2 miles in my direction just b/c of the miserable sightseers.

So now I'm tanking-up on my coffee, which, BTW, is fabulous... I finally broke out the Kitchen Aid bean grinder that the better half & I bought each other for Christmas; and boy, it really does a number on those beans. We blend in a couple scoops of CDM (coffee & chicory) to give it some extra body, then fill a quart Thermos every morning (when it's too cold to drink iced) to-go. I was so ready for coffee when I got here, I'd wanted to put it in an I-V.

So happy Flacco & Co. hung in there. Little Jimmy had to pick up his marbles and head back to the Left Coast. And his marbles are probably a just bit swolen after last nite. Good boy, Johnny!

Too bad about that little blackout. It's a medium-sized black-eye on what otherwise would have been a perfect Super Bowl hosting. Crazy, since right now they actually think it was caused by safety equpment for monitoring the electrical loads in the Dome. But at least there were no casualties, and it was over in 35 minutes.

Did anybody else think the commercials in general sucked? The Paul Harvey - Farmers - Dodge Ram seemed to be a favorite; but I can't say I really liked many of the others. But that's just me. (I'm not wild over commercials in general.) For all the money they sink into these things, they seemed to be running on fumes.... I thought the Go Daddy one was particulary abhorrent -- but that's pretty much par for the Go Daddy course. One thing I can say for certain is that I'm not representative of the market these things are targeting. Or at least I hope not, for their sakes.

Sorry to hear of your "joys of parenthood" chapter, Sandy.... sounds like a no-win situlation.... prayers might be in order....

Y'all have a great Monday.... hope you're more awake than I am....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 4th, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:37 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee
Did anybody else think the commercials in general sucked?
I barely watched the game , so I didn't get to see any of the commercials . I remember the superbowl commercials in the past being quite entertaining for the most part . The commercials in the past must be hurting to many peoples feelings now or something , so we are forced to watch stupid stuff now . You know how everything has to be politically correct today , if that's the right way to put it . Thanks Olamo and company .

Things have been going real bad for me lately . I have a real mean streak now , and I know why . I'm not going to deliberate on it ( you all know why for the most part ) I will say one thing though .... my wife came home from the bar drunk saturday , and wanted to talk to me . She wanted to try and get back together . Bwa Ha Ha ! After all I went through with her , NO WAY !

I had to buy one of these today , so I don't have to fill car tires and such with a bicycle pump anymore , and of course I had to buy fittings and what not in order to adapt a blow gun to it . I couldn't get the other fittings I had off the old lines I have laying around , so back out the door to buy a stupid little fitting to make this all work . I just simply have no luck what-so-ever it seems ....

Sorry for the small picture , but it seems I couldn't find a bigger photo I could copy and paste from the internet either Grrrrrrrr

BTW , the thing I bought is a Torin Black Jack 7 Gal Air Holding Tank .

Last edited by oldsguybry; February 4th, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Lark! Oh Lark? Yes, dere you be... it's YOUR day!!! Just the right kind of day for a walk in de park. Beautimongus day shaping up. Temps will be soaring to around 42 with mild 15mph winds.

Quite a shocker yesterday after we finished our curling game (which we won 6-4) coming up to the lounge and finding SB still only in the 3rd quarter. So we stayed and watched it out. All you niners fans don't be upset that I picked the Ravens. I was only off by 7 points on my final.

What's the price of a pitcher of beer coming to? The lounge lizard that took over "Hat Tricks" lounge (actually he's worse than that, but weasel has become overused) is really jacking beer prices. No one is happy about it either. At the start of our season a pitcher was 12.75. Now it's 17.75 so we no longer give a tip for anything there. Just a glass is 7.00!! From what I've heard he's not going to get his contract renewed.

Bryan - Sorry to hear you had all that frustration with that air pig; and your wife. I guess I shouldn't put them in the same line but I saw some degree of humor in it. I read up some reviews on that unit and it wasn't 'really liked' by several of the reviewers. only 57% said they'd recommend it to others. Did you look at Craftsman? I saw this one listed on their site for less than 30.00 and it looks like it come with the fittings.

Maybe worth checking if it saves you any $$?

John - I saw that Dodge commercial and it sort of struck a note. I remember Paul Harvey fondly and the way that commercial was portrayed really appealed to the heart especially if you've ever been associated with farming or agriculture. Want to bet that the sales of Dodge trucks goes waaayy up in the next quarter? Especially now that they can compete with the Ford Ecoboost?

Jamesbo - hope you had fun whackin whitey. Strange you're usually one of the first posts I see on the daily show.
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Always room for one more

Afternoon everyone.

I didn't see any of the game. But I did see the VW commercial they were gonna play during it. I also read about it in USA Today and they said it was going to be their best Super Bowl commercial yet. Boy I hope they aren't putting all their eggs in this basket, because it was LAME! Eh, I'm not buying a VW any time soon so it doesn't matter what I think. John I'm with you, marketing these days doesn't have a lot of effect on me.

Sandy do you think Nicole's question was of a rhetorical nature or was it planting the seed of what's to come? If she thinks she won't want to do that sort of work, she better quit now before any more money is spent on it. And I hope she has an alternative plan.

Jamesbo must be in the clubhouse watching reruns of the game.

Ah Night One is upon me. It was nice having that extra day, it was like old times. Ya old times from a month ago. The rumors are, and they are just rumors, that this split 10 hour shift isn't working so we're just going to go to three 8s. It's got a lot of people up in arms and it's based on nothing. Although if it does come to pass I think half the department will put in for a transfer immediately. Moi included.

Bryan hang in there. As the Church Lady once said, these are trying times. Everybody's trying everything, and getting caught!

I just watched a documentary on Pan American World Airways. They were long gone by the time I got into the industry, and at that point they weren't remembered fondly. They shirked maintenance, had poor service, and were pretty much run into the ground. However, in their heyday they were the force to be reckoned with. I didn't see too much of the New York Worldport, which is a building I'm quite fond of, but I did see a nice picture of the National Sundrome, and I've been looking for weeks to find one.

Think I'll go for a nice long walk. It would be a good start to the week.
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM

Had to beat feet to smack whitey round dis mawn'in. BUT I din't wanta miss my perfect attendance award
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:47 PM
GM Enthusiast

I missed the end of the super bowl but at least the game was close. I liked the Dodge Ram and Clydesdale commercials but that's about it. Beyonce's outfit was, well pretty revealing. Glad my kids didn't see that, not really a family show.
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

MIKE !! This could happen to someone who eats too much at Awful House....These 2 youngsters cracked me up, especially the bride when she busts loose
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:33 AM

Mawn'in all

chili but spose to warm up today.

Kinda quiet dis mawn'in. Not alot go'in on.