The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Allan my Saturn is a twin cam. 96 SW2. I've put about 60,000 on since then.
Ours is a 96 also, but an SL1. Has all the whistles and ding dongs that an SL2 has except the twin cam. I recently ran into a little inconsistency in the idle. It will 'pulse' about 50 rpm every 10 seconds or so when warmed up instead of being steady like it used to. I've taken off the TB and cleaned it, same with the IAC valve. Checked the plugs (look great), wires and MAP sensor - NTF. Runs fine with AC on, just pulses when no load. I bought the car new off the showroom floor. It only has 88K original miles. I do all the regular routine mtce. Haven't checked out the Saturn forum yet. You got any suggestions? I know the + - 50rpms shouldn't be an issue, but IMO it's the start of something that might be a bigger problem.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
To tell ya de tooth, I thought Dick Clarke was at least 100.
Dat's what ya get for tryin to be America's oldest teenager. I kinda like the part about 'surround yerself with hot chicks and make everyone jealous'. Only so many times you can do a facelift before ya falls flat on it.

Mike - Hahahahah - Mayans Rule.....now THAT is funny!!!
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Ok sorry, the youngest couldn't wait 30 mins until time to go

Anywho 'bout da furnacii.... A job to change one of those $250.00 babies would run a homeowner around $1500.00 I'd do it on the side for around $500. - $600. all day long. And yes these were decent furnacii, such as Carrier, Lennox or Trane. May want to have Larry check the flue pipe as well. If the furnace cannot properly exhaust the spent gases it will not start either. I've known birds and squirrels to clog them up with their nests.

I'm wit Mike on puttin a sticker of any kind on Teepo But I can't say nothin thar one (OCA) on the front windshield of my Cutlass Supreme c/o my Grandfather. But it's been there for 30 some odd years now.

I bermember American Bandstand and I think it's ironic that Dick Clark and Don Cornelius (Soul Train ) passed within a few months of each other Dick hasn't looked like he aged one iota since the 70's when I was a tike. Funny, same thing about Pat Sajak too Must have the same architect

Allan I hope you can find a deal on the laptop, I lucked out and was able to get both my older daughters a decent one for less than $800 each, but they didn't need to meet that kind of criteria though.

Well enough for now catch ya later
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo.... I think ya got everyone, lol. We do get the occasional straggler coming by.

Mike.... Yes, I would put the OCA sticker on one of Teepo's windows. I'm proud of the Olds society!! I'd never put one on her body anywhere, though.

We have to have wind gusts of at least 45 mph out here.... it hits the building and sounds like thunder or something. I had a hard time walking at lunch time, lol. Still dry......
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:53 PM

Talking Hi all

Went to a couple of local cruise in Friday night and Saturday night, Lots of cars out because of the sunshine. Met some old friends hadn't seen for awhile all and all a good time.

Jamsbo next time put two bricks in you left pocket it help get your weight across.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Always room for one more

Allan is the change in RPM discernible by ear? If everything checks good, the only other thing I can think of would be a TPS. Or it could possibly be an indication problem. Something is spiking its voltage ever so slightly and making the needle jump.

Speaking of furnaces I need an alternate idea. My last bill was $31. Two dollars of that was the gas and $29 was fees. Unacceptable. In the winter when the thing is running constantly the bill is hundreds. I have six months now to come up with something different. In floor heat would be superb, if not a little pricey. Already got the wood stove but I'm afraid to run it when I'm not home. I have woods on my property and have about 10 lifetimes worth of fuel.

I was a member of the OCA back in the 80s when I first bought my Cutlass. Even drove to Lansing in '87 for the convention. Don't remember why I quit renewing. Back then Steve DeNovi was the president. He lived near me(30 miles?) but I never met him. He had a big Heating and Air business.

Mike
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Allan I hope you can find a deal on the laptop, I lucked out and was able to get both my older daughters a decent one for less than $800 each, but they didn't need to meet that kind of criteria though.
Problem solved. The laptop I was looking for : Asus 17.3" Laptop featuring Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor (G74S-HBK7) was found in Ont at a big box store (Best Buy). Call it 1050.00 tax in and free shipping. Not bad for a laptop that normally retails for 1799.00 Think my son will be a little excited?

Originally Posted by slantflat
Allan is the change in RPM discernible by ear? If everything checks good, the only other thing I can think of would be a TPS. Or it could possibly be an indication problem. Something is spiking its voltage ever so slightly and making the needle jump.
Very minutely noticeable by ear and 'feel'. I did check the TPS and it's functioning properly. Joanne took the car to work, so I'll check it tomorrow for any vacuum leaks or brittle vacuum lines.

I just got a 3/4" carb horn spacer from Tony in Montreal. I needed something like this to add the factory 71/72 dual snorkel air cleaner to my car. It won't fit without the spacer because I put in HEI back in 2007 and the top of the dist sits to high. I cut out the back of one of my spare air cleaners so it would at least fit. I need to find a vacuum motor for the air cleaner so the warm up cycle pulls the thermac valve closed.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Mike I can give you options or at least steer you in the right direction if I knew layout (i.e. single story, split floor plan or two story) sq footage, crawl space or slab. Gas heat/ electric A/C is basically what most people have from where you are and north. From here where I am and south would better utilize the "heat pump" which is pretty lax in the heating aspect (which we don't need much of here) And without the costly emergency "strip" heat we would freeze when the temps drop below 32 degrees due to the fact that heat pumps pull the heat from outside and bring it in. Just like the A/C pulls heat from the inside and takes it out except opposite. A dual fuel setup (heat pump with gas furnace for auxiliary heat)would be fairly energy efficient but you would still have the $29 charge. By far the most efficient way to go is with a ground source heat pump (geothermal) but it is outrageous crazy $$$ for the initial install.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM

Citcapp=Pat on the left coast,
Olds65=Udo in Germany
Bee-o-Pee= John in De Big Easy
Ausraven=Adrian Down under
Bluevista=Alan Sandy's neighbor

Hum Who am I miss'in?

Oh yeah,
A1tony
Woflie in Nova Scotia
and

Sandy,Who'd I leave out?
ahem... cough cough...
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
Always room for one more

Eh, I'm really just whining, Scot. But it's the whole idea. I don't care how much I'm paying for the gas, why should I pay Atlanta Gas Light 21.95 "just because." I had a heat pump at my other house and boy was it terrible.

My house is sort of a split level, it has a walk out basement. Problem is the floor in the basement is concrete and the walls aren't 8ft as it is. Now if I could install the radiant floor heat in sections, as the money allows, that would be the ticket. The whole upstairs floors are accessable from underneath.

I'm waiting for my neighbor to call me from New Jersey. He is from there and stays most of the time up there, but wants to come back to Georgia. He's old and decrepit and can't drive himself that far anymore, so he wants me to fly up there and drive him home. I did that once before, so I guess that's now the standard plan. I don't mind, but he thinks I have as much time as he does, and doesn't understand when I say we have to get moving and get home. He wants to hang out and show me around his hometown and hang with his family. He also doesn't understand that every day I'm away from home costs me $34 for the dogs. That adds up quick. Oh well, we'll get it planned.

I think the dogs want some ice cream. So I'll go get them some and relax for the evening. Good night everybody.

Mike
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:31 PM

Good Evening Everyone.

Well, I think I will let the pictures describe the weather today.

Attachment 176869

Attachment 176870

And the salt trucks were out today. So the Delta is staying parked for a while.

Allan, glad you found a deal on the laptop. And that chili sounds... interesting.

Sandy, if you want your OCA membership number, I think it is normally printed on the cover the JWO or the envelop it is mailed in, if you can find the last one you got.

Pat, I'm jealous. Cruise nights here are supposed to start next week, but they are predicting more snow this Friday.

Ken, congratulations to your son.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:44 PM

My right arm has been plagued with tendinitis for the last 2 months so I don't think I'll be golfing for awhile. Painful even to lift a cuppa koffee - isn't that a crap shoot??? On the other hand (ha - I did a funny) I can still take my son in an arm wrestle, but damn he's getting strong!
I'm thinking that you should rub some of that chili on your arm....that should fix it right up
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:37 AM

Mawn'in all

De wind died down but it's in de 50's dis mawn'in. Clear but not as warm as it oughta be.

Alan, Glad ya joined us. Now we got anutter fella on board who can spell Zamboni wit out look'in it up. Hope cha survived de Chili. I'd be call'in 911 if'in I ate de recipe you fixed.

Car designer, dat pic reminds me of de first time I saw Dr.Chicago. I was froze stiff jes from de scenery.

Mike, jes get a woods stove. If ya cut your own wood ya get's warm twist. Thar's an American Stove werks one [dat made in China] dat has a blower, thermostat and ever thing. Burns big ole logs too.

Wonder how Don's wife is do'in. Las we heared she was headed ta Emory.

Sandy, Got heat?

Wonderful mawn'in. Saw my son on de Wheaties box and my ex wife on de milk carton.
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:52 AM

Guten Morgen....

Postman jingled.. My new stuff for bad weather arrived..
Think it`s a set book for all Olds-Friends around the world..
Ok.. I lean back and chill in good old Times..

Nice Day all....

Udo
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:02 AM

Ps. How can I get a OCA Sticker ? They don`t ship to Europe
I think....

Udo
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:41 AM
CQR

Morning all. Paul. Those pics bum me out. I'm about ready to pull the plow off the Yota and the 4 wheeler for the year.

Sandy. So far I've disposed of 10 coons this year. But now the weather is getting hot so I have to time it right to locate them into the dumpster. This last one I got on Saturday, is getting really ripe. I humanely relocated a bunch of them but there are just too many.

I'm trying to do a little catching up on what I've missed.
Jamesbo, Sorry to hear about the young mans untimely demise, and Udo, My sincere condolences on the loss of your mother.

Allan, Welcome to the thread. This place is really hoppin'.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is car poor. A few of you guys even have more rolling stock than I do. Especially you Mike

Have a great day.
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

What a morning it's been already!! Sun is out and it's in the high 30's. Guess I should have kept my appointment at Highland Rd. today. They really missed with the weather forecast. I'm glad!!

Well those winds played havoc in our yard yesterday. 2 of my birdfeeders were on the ground and broken. The little wishing well my mom got Larry was knocked off it's foundation and is laying on the ground. I hope it isn't broken. The gate on the arbor has the latch broken where the wind was pushing on it, where the bar slides into the other side. Lots of tree limbs everywhere. My grill cover is probably in China. I couldn't find it anywhere and I walked the neighbors yards too, lol.

Pulled Teepo out so Larry could get in the attic. He didn't see anything wrong with the furnace. He had his power checker thingy up there and there was power going to it. I don't know, but it started working. I'm gonna look into getting a new one soon as I get my credit card paid off hopefully in a few months. Then I'll have a little extra money. No I won't - something else will come along. Who am I kidding?

So when I pulled Teepo back in, she left a nice puddle of tranny fluid in the drive. I don't know what's leaking, but I suppose I better have Don or Defer get her on the rack and figure it out. I don't want to leave her at Don's again. So I don't know. Hopefully it's just a line...... I hate to have 40 year old stuff messed with. Might cause a whole set of new problems, lol.

......ahem... cough cough...

Paul!!!! How could we have forgot you?? I'll blame it on a senior moment, lol. You are a very regular on here. I don't like those pics, lol. You keep all that up there, ok? I haven't got a JWO magazine in months, and I threw the last one away. So I'll keep bugging the OCA until I hear something from them. I faxed and emailed them yesterday.

So at 7:05 this morning I hear two really loud 'BANG BANG" noises and the power goes off. I called Ohio Edison and reported it. 10 minutes later I see Township pick up trucks heading down our street. 10 minutes later I see a shi*load of traffic on our street - both ways. Cars, school busses, trash trucks. Looked like a parking lot. Poor folks sat forever trying to turn left on to 91. Ya can't do that in the mornings, lol. Gotta go around to Twinsburg Rd. where there's a light.

When I left for work - and of course they're blocking all the driveways - someone finally let me back out... I asked one of the people in the car behind me what was going on and he said there was a pole and wires down on Twinsburg Rd and they have the road closed. Sure enough - it's right at the intersection of the side street by us and T'burg Rd. I snapped some pics with my phone, lol. Wires everywhere, Pole broke into about 3 sections. What a mess!! I really took the long way around into work this morning. I've been avoiding 91 since they're working on it anyhow, and I figured this morning it would really be a mess. So I took the longer more scenic route in. Only 3 minutes late. I was surprised. I turned off all the light switches we had on, my coffee maker, and the radios before I left. The furnace was on when the power went off. It hadn't lit yet, but was getting ready to. Hope it doesn't get screwed up again. I had to warm my coffee up in the micro when I got to work. Nothing worse than cold coffee.....

So it's been a heck of a morning. Now I have to worry about Teepos tranny..... Lord!

Have a great day all!!
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:13 AM

sorry, and don`t take something personally, but I found
so many reasons, why we glad to be boys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QTo...eature=related
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

It's a great Tuesday.
First, I woke up on the green side of the grass. I love it when that happens! Even more that I 'survived' the delight of "Inferno Blazin Chili" last night. I think it tried to dissolve the bottom of the pan . It had wonderful flavor, and with a slice of fresh baked bread and butter? Mmmmmm, mmmmm please sir, may I have s'more? My Mrs. tried a little bit and decided to have leftovers from yesterday. Obviously not a Connosieur. My son woke up this morning and said his tummy hurt. Offered him some pepto but he said no. He went upstairs and I heard this massive 'fart'. When he came down he was ok, but said not to go upstairs for awhile. I feel sorry for the people on his bus and the kids in his class today

Paul - That will all be gone shortly. Not to worry, it's just like a free car wash for the Delta. We had that kind of surprise a couple weeks back, only it was 30cm deep on our street.

Sandy - Glad you got the heat back on. At least you have a good excuse if someone asks why you were late? re: Teepo's tranny dripping? I'd check the shift lever seal first off. Most common source of leaks on the TH350. Not expensive or hard to fix - that's a plus.

Mike - I hear you on that gas costing issue. It seems everywhere the basic cost of the gas is dirt cheap. They make their money on all the fees they tack onto the bill. Our bill last month for gas was 22.00 and change. With all the 'extra gouging fees' it ended up being 89.00 It's getting out of control.

Well on another note, Alberta made history last night. We elected our first ever lady Premier. Decent voter turnout too.

Just looked outside - where did the rain come from? Oh, and just so you know we're 'scheduled' for rain and SNOW on Thurs, so that means Jamesbo will probably not be golfing next Monday unless he uses those bright yellow or orange *****, and your furnaces better be working, and the salt trucks will probably come out at least one more time.

Got to go to the Post Office. Just sold a 1970 AM/FM Stereo & Multiplex so I need a shipping quote. That sucker weighs in at almost 14 pounds once it's packed.

BTW, Yes my son was very excited about getting the laptop. He's counting the days...One of his scholarships will easily cover the cost and more.
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Afternoon Mawnin People

Beautiful day here The wind is much lighter and the sun is shining bright

Paul you started the *New* Good Morning Thread so I figured everyone knew you were a regular. Anywho those pics remind me of a pic I have of my Cutlass in a fluke snow storm we had here in the 80's

Mike I was going to suggest either a mini split system or using a duel fuel setup utilizing your existing furnace if it ain't too old. Then you would just need a new t-stat, refrigerant lines, evap coil and the heat pump. But if you don't like the performance of a heat pump, you never will. I guess the next step would be to contact your gas company to see if they have a "budget" billing deal where they average your bills together and have a "set" rate to pay monthly Most places do that here but since they deregulated that utility it has gotten completely out of hand

Clint we used to sell dem coon's to da folk on da other side of da tracks fer about $5 ea Rabbit's brought $3 and the old stinking possums used to bring $2 ea good money when you ain't got much. Especially then when I was in high school.

Udo that is a great book! You will just love all of the info that thing has in it. The late and great Helen Early put in countless hours researching and compiling tons of info for Oldsmobile and our hobby alike. I read it front to back and it was hard to put it down Enjoy

Well the #@$^*!# dealership called and they changed the ignition switch and harness under the recall, but that didn't fix it So now I have to have it towed back home

Guess I'll catch yall on the flipside
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Cutlass Lover

Afternoon all! Well it clouded up here and it's windy. Not as bad as yesterday though. Calling for some possible rain here this afternoon. Who knows?

Larry said he'll bring his floor jack home tonight and see if he can look under Teepo and see where she is leaking from. He better not hurt her with that jack, lol! I'd hate to have to kill him or somethin. I'll tell him about that shift lever seal Allan R, thank you. I didn't know there was such a thing, lol. Poor old girl.....
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sandy, if you have a 72 Assembly Manual, look in section 7. There's some great detail pics showing potential leak points.
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Cutlass Lover

Allan R.... All I have is the service manual.
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Here you go. Have a look http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ual_Sect_7.pdf
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Hope that white stuff isn't catching. you right coast and mid west people sure seem to be getting some weird weather the last couple of years. Sorta make me glad I'm a left coaster. Keep on keeping on as they say and have a great day
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Cutlass Lover

Clear as mud, Allan R! Thank you!!

Anyone noticing any problems with the site? I'm having a heck of a time with it for some reason this afternoon. It's taking forever to load or refresh..... Sometimes says it can't find the server. It was ok this morning.
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:54 PM
CQR

Opposite for me Sandy. Wouldn't load this morning, but seems ok now.
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Clear as mud, Allan R! Thank you!!

Anyone noticing any problems with the site? I'm having a heck of a time with it for some reason this afternoon. It's taking forever to load or refresh..... Sometimes says it can't find the server. It was ok this morning.
Do the pages not load? If Larry runs through them, he will see the location of the shift linkage. I noticed that it's not really 'quick' this afternoon but at least it's loading. I think it has something to do with that power pole that someone knocked down this morning .

Originally Posted by CQR
Opposite for me Sandy. Wouldn't load this morning, but seems ok now.
Ditto on the morning. It was working fine one moment then it went got Attention Deficit Disorder . This site seems to get plagued with it every so often. WOW! I just went to post this and got a message that I timed out? How can that be when I'm signed in and was actively posting. 2nd try.....
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Smile From The Ranks Of The Missing!

Wonder how Don's wife is do'in. Las we heared she was headed ta Emory.
She never got to Mayo OR Emory! On Friday March 30th, she tripped on the newly stained deck, ran about 10 feet, landed in a heap, and fractured her right hip near the ball.

The surgeon decided to put in a new hip and at 82, my TW is sporting a brand new hip! Mine is 14 years old, and is a recalled part! Marilyn spent 5 days in hospital and is currently in a rehab section of a real fancy nursing home in the next town. Got there on April 4th, was making great progress and the past 2 days has regressed. She's supposed to come home the middle of May.

If'n a few of ya could drop her a note of encouragement perhaps when she says "Who in the world is _________?" I can tell her "It's from one of OUR Oldsmobile friends!" Then maybe she'll stop referring to Blue Belle as "that damn old car!"

Marilyn Borden
Oak Manor, Benson Hall - Room D-10
70 Oak Street
Tryon, NC 28287

--Don
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Give my best to your lovely wife

Sorry to here Marilyn got hurt Don. i will give her a shout for sure

Take care my friend

Pat
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Cutlass Lover

Don! Nice to hear from you! I'm sorry to hear about your wife's set back. That stinks. I hope she will do ok. I will send her a card as soon as I get a minute.

Allan R.... the pages loaded just fine. It's just acting sluggish and weird, lol. Still is. I hate to tell you, after all your hard work, but I do have the assembly manual, lol. Shows you what I know......

Anyhow.... Larry had Teepo up on jack stands when I got home. Nothing was leaking until I started her. It's leaking from the pan gasket between 2 bolts. It's on the side by some kind of 'round thing' that's above in the pan on the passengers side. There looks to be like a lot of permatex around the pan. I couldn't tell real good cause it was hot and oily under there, but Larry said there's a lot of sealer around it.

Jamesbo.... stop reading now, because my inquiring over thinking mind has girl questions to ask now.

So tell me...... what should I be looking for when they replace this gasket? What kind of gasket should they use? I don't know if there's more than one kind or not. Should they be using sealer?? What is involved with changing a gasket on these cars?

Do tranny pans ever get bent or anything and maybe that's why there's a lot of permatex on her pan?

Can you buy gaskets for these cars at the auto parts, or do they have to come from someone like Fusicks or Inline or places like that?

When they take the pan off, should they replace the filter or no? Since they're going to be putting new fluid in - I don't know?

Will the new fluid cause any problems with the transmission? She shifts nice and smoothly now, no slipping or clunks or anything and she better stay that way, lol. I've heard that sometimes new fluid cleans everything in there or somethin, and problems arise.

I just need to know all this stuff, lol. I know the old gasket has to be cleaned off the pan really good so the new one seats tightly.

Thanks...... love ya guys!
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Problem solved. The laptop I was looking for : Asus 17.3" Laptop featuring Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor (G74S-HBK7) was found in Ont at a big box store (Best Buy). Call it 1050.00 tax in and free shipping. Not bad for a laptop that normally retails for 1799.00 Think my son will be a little excited?

Allan, that must be a super computer. The club just bought me another computer since the motherboard went on the last one. It's an Acer. It says Intel i3, 2.3 GHz 3MB (L3 cache) Intel HD graphics, 17.3 HD+ LED LCD, 4 GB DDR 3 Memory, 500 GB HDD, DVD Super Multi DL Drive, Webcam,HDMI bla, bla bla. It was $587 at Staples. Good thing I backed most stuff and they were able to get everything off the hard drive.

Everyone, check out the tracking devise on our website www.oldsclub.ca It shows where people are from and if you use the magnifying glass it will take you to another sight and even show you the cities and where someone is from who is currently on the site. It's pretty cool.
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Always room for one more

Hey everyone.

I couldn't get on here all day long. It kept telling me the connection had to reset, and to try again. I've been trying all afternoon. I figured it was my stupid computer.

It's my last night off so I have to stay up really late, so I can sleep in tomorrow and not be a zombie at work tomorrow night. The way I figure it I should be able to make dayshift in about 10 years.

I rummaged around in the crawlspace today. I thought it was only tires in there but I found the doors I had "lost" to my Cutlass, a door to a VW Bus, Corvair bumpers, and a bunch of lawn chairs. I sort of thought the lawn chairs would be there, it's been awhile since I've been in there.

Scot and Clint and Allan, I remember plenty of days that my car looked like that. It was just something we dealt with but now I wonder how I ever put up with it for so long.

Clint I do have a bunch of cars, but don't be impressed until they all run!

Scot I think I'm going to see about putting in the radiant heat in sections. Did you get the Cavalier home?

Udo I started watching your video but I only got as far as the woman blowing powder into her face with the hair dryer.

Sandy when you get the trans pan off clean it really good, get something to pound the edge really flat, then get a good cork gasket to put on there.

Don so sorry to hear about your wife falling. Hope she makes a good recovery. The middle of May seems far off but will be here before you know it.

And that I believe catches me up from being missing from here all day. Oh what we must have done before computers. This group would have been hell on wheels as penpals.

Mike
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nothing was leaking until I started her. It's leaking from the pan gasket between 2 bolts. It's on the side by some kind of 'round thing' that's above in the pan on the passengers side. There looks to be like a lot of permatex around the pan. I couldn't tell real good cause it was hot and oily under there, but Larry said there's a lot of sealer around it.

So tell me...... what should I be looking for when they replace this gasket? What kind of gasket should they use? I don't know if there's more than one kind or not. Should they be using sealer?? What is involved with changing a gasket on these cars?
Sandy, that round thingy is the modulator and has a vacuum line coming off it. It's part of a vacuum system to help the transmission know when to change gears. Some people will use permatex to try and stop the leak or form the gasket, but IMO why not just put in the right gasket? Stop in at O'Reillys or Autozone - tell them you want the TH350 pan gasket for your 72 CS. They will have the right parts. Damn! I have an unopened pan gasket set for a 350 in my garage! Chances are that over time the gasket material in that area dried out or cracked, causing the leak.

Do tranny pans ever get bent or anything and maybe that's why there's a lot of permatex on her pan?)
Yes, tranny pans can get hit much like oil pans can. The permatex was probably just the lazy mans way of doing a quick fix. It lasted quite a while didn't it?

When they take the pan off, should they replace the filter or no? Since they're going to be putting new fluid in - I don't know?
When they take the pan off, you'll loose all the tranny fluid except what's in the converter so you need a big catch bin. I think it's around 3 quarts to drain and refill. That's how they drained and serviced these old cars for tranny's. While the pan is off, this is when you replace the filter. It's part of the kit you buy from the parts store. No it doesn't have to come from Fusick....

Will the new fluid cause any problems with the transmission? I just need to know all this stuff, lol. I know the old gasket has to be cleaned off the pan really good so the new one seats tightly.
No, new fluid will be a nice thing for her to have because it probably hasn't been changed for a long time. Tranny fluid doesn't break down much over time either. Use DEXRON 3 - it's readily available. And yes my lady, you've learned well. New gaskets seal better when all the old gasket material is scraped off and the mating surfaces are clean and flat. The replacement gasket will likely be made from cork. The WIX Trans filter for your car is part number 58878. Autozone has a different brand: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=432502_0_0_
O'Reilly's has these http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ion+pan+gasket

Hope this help you. The tranny leak you're describing is relatively minor, and really not a lot different than doing an oil change. We loves you right back!

EDIT: the proper torque for the trans oil pan is 13 ft/lbs ok? doesn't need lots. Also, you add the trans fluid through the trans tube that holds the dipstick ok?

Last edited by Allan R; April 24th, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Good Evening All.

Don, sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she makes a full recovery.

Allan, you were right. All the snow is gone, it was melted by the rain.

Ken... I see me, I see me. It actually has the location right down to the suburb. That is a neat feature.

Have a good evening all.
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:00 AM

Mawn'in all

Don, Sorry to ere Marilyn fell. I'll drop her a note. Here's hope'in for a speedy recovery.

Alan, You're break'in de rules of de "Good Morning Thread" by post'in useful information.

Ok Sandy, I'll pitch in. I'm wit Mike on dis one. Alan gave ya exactly how to do it jes make sure where de gasket goes is flat as a fritter or it's all fer naught. Putt'in a new gasket on a bent pan no werkie.

Jes get cha a baby wad'in pool to catch all the tranny fluid

Have a great day Olds friends.
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Sun is shining, birds are singing, life is good! Heading towards 60's today. Twinsburg Rd. is open again -I'm glad!! I'm taking off at noon to take Teepo to Bob's - his Sherwin Williams rep better be there with their super duper camera so we can get this done and move on!!!!

Thank you Allan R and Mike. I will go to O'Reillys and get that kit. Sounds better than the Autozone one, lol. I'll either have Defer or Don do the job. I'm gonna call Defer this morning and get a price on them doing it.

So it only will take 3 quarts of tranny fluid? I thought in the Assembly manual I saw where it takes 7.50? Maybe that's when it's new and dry? I don't want anyone over filling it.....

Brian was just telling me I should just try to tighten up the bolts, but not much. If it ain't broke, don't fix it..... I dunno. I think I'd feel better just having a new gasket put on.

What does the TH mean in TH350??

I checked the weather channel, and Monday is still looking good, so I gotta call Don this morning and see if I can get her back over there to get the steering issue fixed!!

That new cruise in in Aurora starts tonight.... Don't know if I'll go or not. I hate to be driving, dripping tranny fluid.

Well have a great day all!
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:10 AM

Tell Brian to go sell sum steel and leave Teepo alone. If ya jes keep tighten the bolts ya goona bend the crap outa de pan fer sure.
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Cutlass Lover

LOL!!!! That's what I figured. Don't forget, he has an 85 Rustang...... nuff said!
Old April 25th, 2012, 08:12 AM

What does the TH mean in TH350??
Turbo-Hydramatic. I won't mention the front seal on the trans. leaking
Old April 25th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thank you 1969!! Ok...... don't mention the seal lol! One leak at a time!

I have an appointment next week at Defer to get the gasket changed. Taking her Monday to Don's for the steering wheel issue.

Search this Thread