The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Lunar Eclipes Tonight

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2010, 09:04 PM

Lunar Eclipes Tonight

Lunar eclipse tonight. A full lunar eclipse on the winter solstice, last time this happened was 456 years ago (the year 1554). Lady Jane Grey was beheaded for treason that year, while Princess Elizabeth was imprisoned in the Tower of London. Mary of Guise — the mother of Mary, Queen of Scots — became regent of Scotland.

Last edited by 442much; December 20th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:40 PM

Well I stayed up to check it out and when there was about 10% of the moon outside of earths shadow the fog rolled in
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:41 PM

For those who couldn't watch, here is the event from 11:30 pm to 12:30 am Mountain time, GMT -6. Nikon D70s with a 500 mm lens

Last edited by 442much; December 20th, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:18 AM

Got lucky and it cleared up, got to see it.
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I got up about 2:45am est. Watched it for awhile and went back to bed. For those that missed it, the next lunar eclipes on the winter solstice is in 2094. If you don't want to wait that long there are 2 lunar eclipses next year.
Larry
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:45 AM
Cutlass Lover

Ken..... Thanks so much!! Great pictures! I wanted to see it so bad. We had a lot of cloud cover as usual. I think it was over in Euclid they said that they could see it for a little while before the clouds moved in. Those pics are soooo cool! Thanks for posting them. What an event!
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:32 AM
2 '66 98's

It was crystal clear here on the east coast. I started watching about 2 AM and it was about 15-20% by then, fully covered about 2:45. That was enough, went to bed.
According to the news and one internet source, the last one was in 1638, 472 years ago. I don't remember it!
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:44 AM

I saw it. Had my cheapy Bushnell telescope....interestingly with the telescope the orange hue was very faint. With the telescope the orange hue was prominant.
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
It was crystal clear here on the east coast. I started watching about 2 AM and it was about 15-20% by then, fully covered about 2:45. That was enough, went to bed.
According to the news and one internet source, the last one was in 1638, 472 years ago. I don't remember it!

I read the last Full moon Lunar eclipse on the solstice was 1554. Using the old Julian calendar that would be December 11, 1554. I found that the last Lunar eclipse (not a full moon) on the solstice was 1638. But like you, I was too young to remember that. I'm only 375.
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Ken..... Thanks so much!! Great pictures! I wanted to see it so bad. We had a lot of cloud cover as usual. I think it was over in Euclid they said that they could see it for a little while before the clouds moved in. Those pics are soooo cool! Thanks for posting them. What an event!
You're lucky Sandy, look at it directly and you'll go blind.

I wonder if Wolfman knew about it?
If he didn't he probably wouldn't know what was going on, changing from a werewolf back into a human during the eclipse like that.

Back in '72 Redgoat flew his Learjet to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun.
He's always bragging about some girl folk singer he faked into a then current hit film "Summer of '42" type thing with when he stopped by Martha's Vineyard for some fun on the way back.
He promptly dumped her cold after he achieved his objective as usual, says she never got over it.
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh God... Are you ok????? Lol!!
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
You're lucky Sandy, look at it directly and you'll go blind.

I wonder if Wolfman knew about it?
If he didn't he probably wouldn't know what was going on, changing from a werewolf back into a human during the eclipse like that.

Back in '72 Redgoat flew his Learjet to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun.
He's always bragging about some girl folk singer he faked into a then current hit film "Summer of '42" type thing with when he stopped by Martha's Vineyard for some fun on the way back.
He promptly dumped her cold after he achieved his objective as usual, says she never got over it.
Redgoat...you're so vain, I bet you thought this eclipse was about you...don't you, DON'T YOU.
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM
Cutlass Lover

"Once upon a time there was light in my life, but now there's only love in the dark...... nothing I can say.... A total eclipse of the heart."
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:43 AM

"Once upon a time there was light in my life, but now there's only love in the dark...... nothing I can say.... A total eclipse of the heart."

When did this turn into the Country music thread?

Ken,

Thanks fer de pics, Dat's w-a-y past my bed time.
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
Registered

Sandy...are you OK?

Didn't Froggy from the Little Rascals sing that song?

Redgoat says there is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact it's all dark.
He told me he gave some English bass player that that line for a tune named "Eclipse" back in the 60's when he was over there touring with Hendrix as a child prodigy glockenspiel impressario.
You've never heard anything until you've heard Redgoat's rendition of Voodoo Child on the electric glock.

Redgoat says that eclipse wasn't just about him, he says that everything is about him.
He also told me it's not vanity if you're perfect, if you got it flaunt it.
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Cutlass Lover

No, I'm not ok!!! You? LOL! You drinking spiked eggnog today? I do believe that was Bonnie Tyler who sang that, but what do I know?

.....When did this turn into the Country music thread?

Jamesbo..... none of those songs are country!

Blue..... I'll see you on the dark side of the moon....
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Registered

No, I'm not ok!!! You? LOL! You drinking spiked eggnog today? I do believe that was Bonnie Tyler who sang that, but what do I know?

.....When did this turn into the Country music thread?

Blue..... I'll see you on the dark side of the moon....
I'll be watching for you on the dark side of the moon Cha Cha, make sure to bring a flashlight because it's really dark.

Is there any other kind of eggnog but spiked?

I was mistaken, I think Froggy sings that country classic "Betty Davis Eyes". That gravelly, chain smoking, advanced hard whiskey drinker voice sounds the same.
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:21 PM
"me somebody" site member

What I never quite understood is the excitement over lunar eclipses...basically they are just a lunar phase change that happens quickly. Full moon. New moon. Everything in between. Just like one can see happen every month. Only faster.

That said, since its a somewhat rare thing, the wife and I got up to get a good look at it last night here in PA; was a nice, clear night for viewing it.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:54 AM

Oh.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:37 AM

damn nice pics, my olds was sittin there out in the cold tellin me daddy...imma bark at the moon n make this a special night....that it was. She wants to run the streets.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:09 AM

That eclipse was a pretty awesome sight...rolled my window down every fifteen to twenty minutes to see (cuz it was almost directly over head) and damn near froze but I saw all of it- and it was really pinkish red during the total part...
Old January 20th, 2019, 08:04 PM
Running On Empty

The full lunar eclipse which is occurring right this moment is outstanding. Very eerie sky w/ clouds brightly lit by the moon as the sun begins to eclipse the moon. Full RED MOON in another 45 minutes.
Old January 20th, 2019, 08:10 PM

I'm snapping photos now through my skylight, too dang cold w/ the windchill to setup a tripod outside. I do miss my manual focus 35mm SLR though, it would be perfect for taking photos such as these. Dang auto-focus on my digital camera wants to focus on the dirt on my skylight rather than on the moon.
Old January 20th, 2019, 08:29 PM
Running On Empty

On this day in 1920 the United States' Eighteenth Amendment to the Constitution began, outlawing the production and consumption of alcohol - commonly known as Prohibition. A very dark day in history.
Old January 20th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Running On Empty

One of the best full lunar eclipse' I've ever witnessed. Super Blood Wolf Moon