The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

My daughter is looking at collages. Any comments on these 3.

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2010, 06:25 AM
71 cutlass convertible

My daughter is looking at collages. Any comments on these 3.

My daughter has narrowed down to 3 collages. Has anybody gone to or have any experiance with the 3. She is going to study crimonolgy next year.
The 3 are:
Slippery Rock U. in PA
Longwoods U. in VA
U of NC-Wilmington in NC

Thanks Larry
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM

your askin abunch knukle draggin wrench turnin beer drinkin guys about yor
dauters scool looks like another one for Joe
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
My daughter has narrowed down to 3 collages. Has anybody gone to or have any experiance with the 3. She is going to study crimonolgy next year.
The 3 are:
Slippery Rock U. in PA
Longwoods U. in VA
U of NC-Wilmington in NC

Thanks Larry
The words are "college," not collage, which is a form of artwork, "criminology," not crimonolgy, and "experience," not experiance.

I've heard of the first one, all good things, never heard of the second one, and the third one is not the flagship school of the North Carolina system, but it has a good reputation nonetheless. Of the three, I would say that Slippery Rock is the best.

Keep in mind that North Carolina has strict requirements with regard to in-state versus out-of-state student enrollment at its state schools. I don't know exactly what the number is, but I think it's something like 75% of students enrolled at its schools must be from North Carolina. With you not being a resident of that state, she could find it tough to get in no matter how good her academic record is.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 17th, 2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Registered

I'm sure they must all have good criminology programs if she chose those three?
If it's a toss-up I would would suggest that you and your daughter go and check them out.
I know people who live there and think it's great but my daughter lived in Wilmington and she was never so scared in her life, couldn't wait to get out. She was held up once and had numerous incidents, Cleveland may not be the most glamorous place to live but it's home and pretty safe.
The problem isn't getting into out of state schools it's the higher tuition. My daughter's a brainiac and had them all after her but even with scholarships we couldn't swing it without her having to take out some major student loans, didn't want to saddle her with that.
Ohio state college tuition costs, even with the resident discounts, are higher than most out of state schools without the discount.
You can get the state resident discount in some states if you're an illegal alien though?
My daugher attends a small university run by Catholic monks in Illinois, very highly rated, her classes average around ten students. They don't push religion, anybody can go there, no professors pushing a political indoctrination of a certain type.
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Keep her as close to home as you can. For Both of you. jmo
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Two of my sons have attended Slippery Rock and one is a Criminal Justice/ Criminology major, seems to be a very good school for this field, his wife was a criminology major and changed her major to elementry ed(must be a close field lol). My son just needs 2 classes to finish, he was deployed to Iraq and missed about a year and a half due to the dates of the service.
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Oldsdruid

Well, to play devil's advocate here, I never heard of Slippery Rock, but people here rarely go North to school. Too many outstanding colleges here to do that.

Longwood and UNC-by-the-Sea are both highly regarded schools here. UNC-Charlotte has a good criminal justice program too; I have a friend who graduated triple-threat from that program- major was Business Administration/concentration in Human Resources, minor was criminal justice. The boy could easily go FBI, but he followed in my footsteps and became a powerplant operator because it was close to home and the starting pay was better.

Re: UNC flagship campus? Chapel Hill is not a good place to live or attend school unless you are a completely flaming liberal. However, it does have a premier broadcasting and journalism school as well as a highly regarded medical & nursing school- right up there with Johns Hopkins & Duke.

Blue, strange about your daughter's experience in Wilmington. Had you said Durham or Fayetteville I wouldn't have thought much about it.

Last edited by rocketraider; October 17th, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Thanks for all comments. She wants out of state but I'm in MD so none are to far away. She is leaning towards longwoods. About 4-5 hours from us but only an hour from grandma.

Jaunty I guess I should get my daughter to proof read all my posts now. I never finished collage or college. Thanks for your comments.

Yes I know NC schools are hard to get into but she was already accepted into Longwoods the end of Aug. as apart of early addmissions. She is doing way better than me in school.
Larry
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Jaunty I guess I should get my daughter to proof read all my posts now. I never finished collage or college. Thanks for your comments.
Any time. Just trying to make the world safe for democracy.
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM

send her to the cheapest one she can go to, after her first gig the schooll usually doesn't matter
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:52 AM

I don't know much about the colleges on the east coast. I'm from the midwest myself. Whatever you and your daughter decide I'm sure it's a very exciting time for you. I remember my college years fondly. Good luck in making the decision.