The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Belt sander racing???

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2010, 05:08 AM

Belt sander racing???

I betcha my bud Blue Vista could build a winner

//www.boston.com/lifestyle/articles/2010/05/15/belt_sanders_built_for_speed/
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
It's a sickness!

I guess there are no problems with traction.
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

That ain't no thang.
You have to get the 220 volt commercial floor belt sanders that alligator clip into the lugs on the main panel for power. You can ride them suckers yourself, who needs a stinkin' barbie doll.
The edge sanders's are smaller but you can strap one to each foot.
Me and my brohamulus sanded an oak floor in the third floor ballroom of an old mansion we work at, that baby had a 60 x 40 track. it was like a skating rink.
Just make sure you don't stay in one place too long or you'll dig a hole in the nice people's oak floor.

BTW...Ballrooms are cool.
The house was on HGTV, I whittled some new walnut leaves and acorns for the old fireplace facade that was featured, couldn't tell , they looked just like the old ones.
I hate when my nuts are ignored.
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:36 PM

watched a belt sanding race at a festival couple years ago. Was rather funny to watch. Some guys customized their sanders. others just kept them stock. They had them plugged into a power cord on a switch. They flip on the power to the out let and watch them run down the wood track. Of coarse they had a divider wall and sides to keep them from running off the track, but one occasionally jumped the track and headed towards the crowd. Was pretty funny.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by dynamic88
watched a belt sanding race at a festival couple years ago. Was rather funny to watch. Some guys customized their sanders. others just kept them stock. They had them plugged into a power cord on a switch. They flip on the power to the out let and watch them run down the wood track. Of coarse they had a divider wall and sides to keep them from running off the track, but one occasionally jumped the track and headed towards the crowd. Was pretty funny.
A bit late to the party, but I saw the nationals in Red Lodge, MT in 2001. There were some amazing machines. One guy had a rig that looked like a top fuel dragster using a big sander drum as the rear wheel.

The common trick for the 'stock' class was to buy a European version of a common sander. Since they were built for 50hz, they gained 20% running on US 60hz...

Still have the T-shirt I got..."Extremely Abrasive"..

Big fun
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:10 PM

Cool,

A good winter sport for all you olds owners to have to store their cars for the winter.