The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Online Trades?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Online Trades?

What's the safest way to buy parts over this site...As in so I know that if they try ripping me off I'll get my cash back at least.
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Zack, from my experience, the safest thing you can do is look at the members history, just like on eBay. If they have been on here for awhile, and perticipate with a lot of posts, it's pretty safe to say they are legit. Also using Paypal to pay is not only fast, but if I remember correctly, they give you insurance on transactions so in the event you get ripped, they will give you at least a portion of it back. Hope that helps!
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Clueless Mechanic

Paypal has saved me in the past with 100% refund not through this site but it is helpful to have the protection or ask for cod shipping if the seller is willing gives you the chance to inspect before handing over the check money order etc usually there is a small fee for cod
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:39 PM

X2,
i am in Indiana and bought a car in NC last year from this site. i jumped on a plane and drove it home. was a great transaction. when i was first here i would ask for someones phone number so i could talk to them in person about the parts. just felt better to hear them over looking at a computer screen. i have ben here long enough that people have become more familiar and i don't need to call any more.
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Ah I see your points. So would it be appropriate to just ask them to list the item for buy it now on ebay...Would putting a "contract/agreement" in the paypal payment memo work possibly?
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:02 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Well I guess it depends on what you are looking to buy. If you are looking for some cheap old parts someone has laying around, I highly doubt that someone is going to put the time and effort into doing an eBay aution to sell you a $10 tailight lense or something. You will have to take a look at the paypal site to find out all their protection policies and what,if any, notes you would have to agree on. I don't believe you have to do anything special, because you jvae to be a verified member on paypal to be able to use it, so the responsibility falls on them to check them out. But remember not everyone uses paypal. You just need to use common sense, don't buy a car for $20,000 and paypal it to a guy who has been on the site for a week and hasent posted at all.