The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Daughter paying too much attention in the shop

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM
car guy

Daughter paying too much attention in the shop

A few weeks agout I bought out a sheet metal shop that the owner had passed away. Its all real deal 80's and older equipment cast iron and the smallest stuff weighs 300-400 lbs.

So this weekend I was unloading stuff taking inventory of what to keep and what to resale. I was setting a notcher down on its table lining up the holes from the machine to the table. It was only about an inch off the table hanging from my engine cherry picker. I knew my daughter was watching but all of the sudden hear "there you got it daddy" She didn't even finish her sentence and the notcher slammed down on the table

Daddy had to have a few words about he is lucky he still has all his fingers.
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Kids gotta love em!
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
GM Enthusiast

Wow, sounds like you got a good deal on some nice equipment. And thank goodness you didn't lose any fingers. What happened, did the pump on the cherry picker give out?
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM

I have a feeling she might have released it and it slammed down.....just a hunch.
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:53 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Thank God this story had a happy ending,I got nervous when I started reading for fear of something bad happening.

The owner of the machine shop next door to where I work lost his 12 year old Son this past summer. They were using the forklift to unload some job material from a flatbed,the material fell from the forks and crushed him. He seemed like a really nice kid,always waving "hi".He would ride his go cart up and down the road all the time,if he seen you coming by he would pull over to the side of the raod and wait for you to pass,wave,then go about his business.
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Didn't cost an arm and a leg....or fingers.
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Hey at least you weren't lowering a freshly rebuilt BBO into a newly painted car.
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:29 PM

I can hear the thump thump of your heart from here. God kids can scare the crap out of you. Most of the time there is an angle setting on their sholders, but not always. Glad everyone is safe. machines and parts don't matter, kids and body parts do.
Old January 25th, 2010, 06:45 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by svnt442
I have a feeling she might have released it and it slammed down.....just a hunch.
Ding ding ding...we have a winner. I have vise grips on there so there is plenty of leverage. It was no problem for her to open the valve all the way. I was keeping her away from what I was doing but didn't think about how close to the the release valve the little **** was.
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Thank God this story had a happy ending,I got nervous when I started reading for fear of something bad happening.

The owner of the machine shop next door to where I work lost his 12 year old Son this past summer. They were using the forklift to unload some job material from a flatbed,the material fell from the forks and crushed him. He seemed like a really nice kid,always waving "hi".He would ride his go cart up and down the road all the time,if he seen you coming by he would pull over to the side of the raod and wait for you to pass,wave,then go about his business.

wow.I feel very srry 4 that guy....
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Ding ding ding...we have a winner. I have vise grips on there so there is plenty of leverage. It was no problem for her to open the valve all the way. I was keeping her away from what I was doing but didn't think about how close to the the release valve the little **** was.
True Rich, but you'll still love her until the day you die. I remember years ago, I was in motorcycle wreck. Broke the left wrist, sprained the right, but never really said anything about the right one. A couple of days after I got home from the hosp., I'm sitting on the couch, right hand on the sofa cushion. My 6 yr. old son jumps on the sofa, landing on my hand. I know he felt worse about it than I did after the screaming in pain was over.
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:33 PM

yep, happy you are ok and a tough lesson learned about how much are children watch, listen, and try to help. My car isn't even back from the shop and I am already preparing for the twins to jump into the car like they used to without opening a door - I see the first scratches coming already - oh well. I joke a cut can heal a scratch on a car won't, but better the car than the kids get hurt.