The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Conceal Carry

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Conceal Carry

Hello,

I am posting this because I have been considering purchasing a weapon with the intent to get a Conceal / Carry license in the state of OK. Are any of you firearms enthusiasts? Does anyone own a firearm, or have a CCW? I don't want this to turn political, I'm just trying to get some sound advice.

Here is a weapon I've considered purchasing:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

I want a weapon to conceal that isn't going to be tiny in my hand, but doesn't weigh a ton at the same time (keep in mind that I'm 7ft tall and weight 315 lbs). I've heard from friends with CCWs that carrying a large firearm all day can be cumbersome.
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Browing 9mm Hi-Power http://hipowertalk.com/forum/ very reliable has enough stopping power without being oversized. My 2 cents
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM

IMHO The real issue is always "single action" vs. "Double Action" and Safety.

Citcapps 9 mm Browning is a great proven pistol. But you have a choice
1] Carry it "cocked and locked" or
2] Be prepared to have to "chamber a round" in time of need.

A revolver on the other hand is "double action" squeeze the trigger and "boom"

My personal chocie is a 45 ACP carried "cocked and locked" But I don't have kids around. It is ready at all times. Flip the safety down and it's ready to go.[no chambering needed nor very safe.]

IMHO Glocks have a death wish safety [That's why FBI agents shoot them selves in the butt at place like the Waco]

I've never played with a 45/410 but it could do the job. I would guess that the 410 would kick like a mule in your hand making a second shot [if needed] rather difficult. It might be a good choice?

The Beretta 9 mm is both an automatic and the first shot can be fired "double action" [i.e. squeeze the trigger]
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM

1911 Colt 45
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM

that taurus will be a hand full with .410 ammo.

I suggest visiting an indoor range, many have rental pieces. shoot as many as you can to find one you are comfortable with. if you are a novice, stick with a simple weapon. that would be a double action revolver.

I grew up with a M1911 but carry a Sig P245.
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Registered Abuser

I hear the Desert Eagle is a decent all around pistol.
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM

I agree with Blk71SX, before laying down the green try out a few different models. I don't know how easy it will be to find a place where you can shoot different guns. But at least look at a good selection, pick them up and see what feels good in your hand. Consider what kind of holster would be comfortable for you as well.

I'm partial to the 45 acp too. If you have to shoot someone throw a sledgehammer at them, then you don't have to worry about having a large clip
Old December 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM

I don't carry. I think you need to determine why you need it, then purchase for that reason. For example:
Cops need it ready to go, therefore they give up a level of safety.
Guys that are in a dangerous line of work (city tow truck, cab, liquer store owner) may also want to be ready to go.
Guy in the suburbs that will never need to pull it, should have extra safety.
Ask yourself some questions before you buy.
Also, my friend swears by his Walther PPK. (sp?)
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
78cutlass

Glock 19 or 21 - all you need
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
78cutlass

Spyderco folding knife & Surefire flashlight too
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

As yoiu have already seen, you are going to get lots of opinions. There are lots of good firearms and many which you probably would be satisfied with. I have a 40 cal baby Glock I keep in the console of my Corvette and a 9MM Sig 239 I keep in the console of my Expedition. I also have a 45 cal Glock and a Rossi (made by Taurus) 357 Mag I keep in a small gunsafe at home. I also have a Bond Arms 2-shot derringer that will shot either 410 or Colt 45. I like the Glocks but my favorite is probably the Sig. I bought it at a pawn shop that was handling the purchase of the 45 cal Glock for me because it was a good buy. It is really a nice handling gun and you can have a shell in the chamber and it still has to be cocked. I would like to have the Taurus model you are looking at but not for a personal carry weapon. It is too big and ammo is going to be expensive. The Kimber mentioned is probably the best gun mentioned but it is like a Lexus of handguns and expensive. For personal carry I would pick the Sig from all the guns I own but would probably prefer it in a 40 cal. Yes, I do have a CCP and belong to the NRA. I am not going to get political but you can probably read between the lines.
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM

I have a Beretta 92FS and have lived in probably the two most difficult states to even think about a CC permit (IL & CA). I'd love to be able to carry it because of all the crazy people about.
I like the Beretta due to the way the safety is designed. It actually rotates the firing pin out of line so you can't accidentally fire the gun. It also takes the trigger out of a firing situation, all but just moving one easy to use lever.
A friend of mine had a Taurus knock off and we compered them......no comparison.
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Alb

right one

As a dealer, I get this question all the time. And it depends on the individual.My personal choice is a 357 mag. loaded with 158 gr. hollow points. 9mm's are ok but if you are going with a semi auto. I would get a 40mm. A little more stopping power. Going with a 1911, 45acp is a little big.The only place I use one of them is at Camp Perry for the pistol matches.Keep in mind that you can get a smaller frame 45. But you want to be able to control the gun.Believe me if you are ever in a situation where you need to use it. You want control.That is why I carry a revolver. No safety to worry about. And if you can't stop them with six rounds, then you better learn how to shoot. So what ever you decide on. Buy it and go to the range and learn the proper way to use it.By the way i carry a ruger. They are my favorite.
Alb
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info gents.

I think I will go to OKC and visit a local gun range. They allow you to rent various firearms. The good thing is that it's reasonably priced. For around $50 I could spend an afternoon shooting a handful of weapons to find out what I like.
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Very good advice. No matter hwat you decission, Ya better kow how to use it.

My 45 acp is a Combat Comander and a little lighter than the 1911 [or 1911 A-1]

Ruger makes fine guns.

Hey Alb,

How bout a Super Black Hawk for stopping power?
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM

If I ever decide to screw with anybody.. I'll make sure they are driving a chevy.
Oldsmobile guys are all packing heat.
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by 68conv455
If I ever decide to screw with anybody.. I'll make sure they are driving a chevy.
Oldsmobile guys are all packing heat.
El Oh El.

Not up here in Canuckistan, were not.
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Alb

Super Black Hawk

Jamesbo,
I Have the one Bill Ruger gave my dad back in 1963. I got to meet Bill then and I saw him again at the shot show in Vegas back in 95 or 96. He remembered my dad because of the gun that he gave him. In 1956 when the Black Hawk came out my dad bought one. They had a fluted cylinder back then. My dad shot it so much that he wore the gun out. Hence the reason why Bill gave him a new one. He asked dad what did he do to wear the gun out. my dad told him that he shot it. I remember as a kid my dad shooting it every day. He moulded his own bullets. 240 gr. semi wad cutters.Used 240 hollow points for hunting. There is more to this story but I am not very good at typing. But it was great to know that Bill remembered my dad. So you see why I like Rugers.
Alb
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM

My favorite for shooting is either my Ruger vaquero LC 45 or my Ruger single six with the 22 magnum cylinder both are great for target and the 45 carries a punch. Kind of hard to hid though.
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Govt slave

I second the .40 cal Baby glock.
I personally carry an h&k p2000 because it's the only weapon my agency will allow me to carry.I love it..the weapon is ***** on accurate and has never jammed.
I literally have shot well over 5000 rounds with it and never had any problem.
The only drawback is it's a fairly large Duty weapon,
That's why I suggest the baby glock.

Please take a safety course and practice a lot BEFORE you carry.
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:10 AM

I carry a Ruger LCP .38 - very compact, hammerless, and the price was right - alot of pistol for $350 - looked at Glock's before I found this - also liked the Sig Mosquito, but didn't think .22 was enough!!

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/lcp/index.html
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Alb
Jamesbo,
I Have the one Bill Ruger gave my dad back in 1963. I got to meet Bill then and I saw him again at the shot show in Vegas back in 95 or 96. He remembered my dad because of the gun that he gave him. In 1956 when the Black Hawk came out my dad bought one. They had a fluted cylinder back then. My dad shot it so much that he wore the gun out. Hence the reason why Bill gave him a new one. He asked dad what did he do to wear the gun out. my dad told him that he shot it. I remember as a kid my dad shooting it every day. He moulded his own bullets. 240 gr. semi wad cutters.Used 240 hollow points for hunting. There is more to this story but I am not very good at typing. But it was great to know that Bill remembered my dad. So you see why I like Rugers.
Alb

Great Story,

I wish I had met Bill Ruger. Everything I've read about him is positive. In my book he's up there with John Browning.

What kind of dealership do you have/specialize in? I'm kind of a Springfield Nut case [along with Oldsmobiles.]

When I hit the lottery, I'm going to buy me a Officers model 45/70 Trap door.

I also love [like everyone else on the planet] pre '64 Winchesters

I used to be a Confederate pistol collector til it got so scary [with fakes] At one time, I had everyone made in Georgia [except Columbus if there is such a thing] Griswold & Gunnison, Spiller & Burr, Rigedon & Ansley, Leech & Rigdon etc. I almost bought a Texas Dance once but it was a little too spooky.

OOOPS, I'm getting way off subject here. I just thought you might have some beat up ole Springfields laying around you wanted to trade for Olds parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 064.jpg (69.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
Picture 065.jpg (72.6 KB, 15 views)
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Please take a safety course and practice a lot BEFORE you carry.
For sure. I will shoot regularly with a friend registered with the NRA before I file my CCW paperwork. The good thing is I already have firearms experience through my time in the US Army. Of course, shooting a handgun is different then shooting an M-16, SAW, and .50 caliber machine gun.
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Moment Member

You guys are all lucky. No right to carry in Illinois. I prefer the S&W 357 magnum. Great stopping power and compact with a short barrel. Remember Olds64, your hands are big. You could probably handle a 44 mag without much problem. I have the Judge and with #4 shot in the .410 caliber it isn't too much too handle. Very cool though. I am 6'3", 225 so maybe that has something to do with it. I also have a Ruger Redhawk. That thing is a cannon!
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM

You guys are all lucky. No right to carry in Illinois.
BUMMER!

I will just leave that one alone so this doesn't turn political

Just to let everyone know...

I went to the gun range in OKC this weekend and fired 70 rounds. I fired 50 rounds from a S&W .357 magnum 686, and I fired 20 rounds of .410 bird shot from a Taurus Judge.

I am glad I took time to fire at a range. I was not very impressed with the Judge. It kicked more than the .357 magnum. I was VERY impressed with the .357 magnum. It was easy to control, didn't kick horribly, and felt better in my hand than the Judge. I didn't purchase a weapon yet, but at least I am on the right track. Thanks for all of the advice gents.

BTW, here is a link to the S&W I fired.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...05&isFirearm=Y
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Airweight 38 spl S&W Put it in your pocket and you will not know it is there. Just wait til the the assailent gets close. My choice and I have a serveral to choose from.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM

I spend a lot of time in the woods and I like the .357 or .44 magnum revolver in stainless for that. If it gets wet, no problem! Clear the barrel and don't worry about it rusting. I shot a friends Ruger Red Hawk a few years back and really liked it. I haven't made the splurge to get one myself, but that's on the list of one I'd enjoy having!

This has been a fun thread. We're all Olds nuts but when it comes to handguns there's been a lot of different brands and calibers described as "favorites"
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:34 AM

were you shooting .38 special rounds??
No I fired the .357 rounds. I asked about the .38 special rounds but the box was only about $2.00 cheaper. I decided to fire the .357 rounds to see how much the gun would kick. I'm sure it would be even more controllable firing the .38 special rounds.
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
No I fired the .357 rounds. I asked about the .38 special rounds but the box was only about $2.00 cheaper. I decided to fire the .357 rounds to see how much the gun would kick. I'm sure it would be even more controllable firing the .38 special rounds.
Even less with wad cutters
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:42 AM

After firing the .357 magnum I did some searching and found this weapon.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

Does porting greatly improve the controlability of a weapon? I spoke with a friend about it and he mentioned that it would be a fun weapon to shoot with the rear adjustable sight.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

porting a barrel does cut down on recoil.

my stepdad had a model 29 44 mag with a 4" barrel that was ported.had the hammer shaved off,and some trigger work done.

you could blast off 5 rounds double action with that gun,and your hand wouldn't sting.
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Senior Moment Member

Opinions, opinions. I happen to agree with this guy.

The 9mm isn’t ok. Tell the fellow who took four 9mm soft point bullets and still managed to inflict a nasty wound that remains with me to this day, and gives my face ‘character’.

The .38 isn’t enough. I once shot a fellow in the lower leg who debated with me whether he had been hit at all until the blood ran from his shoe - then he commenced whimpering and crying.

I once took not the traditional icepick but thank God a nutpicker in the leg. It didn’t go in very far but instantly floored me. The shock to my system completely locked up my knee and thigh muscles. Yet, I did not even require stitches.

I once fired a single .45 caliber hardball round on the move, quickly, and the effect on the target, struck in the ribs, was immediate. All motion ceased - and he fully recovered within a few weeks.

On another occasion I suffered a failure to stop with a much vaunted .45 ACP 200 grain JHP very much in the vogue in the early 1980s, the darling of gunwriters. It penetrated two inches and expanded to a full one inch. Nice but ineffective. The second round produced compliance.

I observed the effect of the .357 Magnum 125 grain JHP once over the top of my own sights. The effect was gruesome. A solid hit that produced a severe blood flow AND dramatic effect from the rear, including lung tissue thrown perhaps three feet.

R.K. Campbell
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Govt slave

2 to the chest...1 to the head
In the Academy this told to us at least 10 times a day.
75 % of our target practice was/still is that.
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:27 AM

2 to the chest...1 to the head
This was drilled into me when I was in the US Army.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM

Has anyone had any experience with Bond Arms (www.bondarms.com)?
My next door neighbor (a serious sportsman) recently introduced them to me as a great weapon for CC, home defense and in-car protection. It is quite small.
The neat thing is that it is a very small double barrel that can fire different shells, including .410 shots and .45s. Interchangable barrels allow shooting other sized shells, also. I heard recoil is not too bad. Overall, it appears to be all I need.
I am most interested in firing the 410 shots in an emergency situation where my aim would be impaired.
Any comments or experience?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM

Never seen one Rob, but the site and videos are interesting.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM

I've heard of Bond Arms before. I'm sure their weapon would be easy to carry since it is a small derringer.

BTW, I signed up for a CCW course on February 13th in OKC. Once I submit my paperwork I have to go to the sheriff's office and submit my finger prints for a background check. That takes 6-8 weeks in OK and then you receive your CCW license.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Cutlass Lover

..... (keep in mind that I'm 7ft tall and weight 315 lbs).

Are you really 7 ft. tall??? I would probably look like a midget next to you! LOL!!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM

conceal carry

For concerns on concealed weapons and what states recognize other states permits go to: www.usacarry.com.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Rob:

I have one of the Bond derringers. They are made down in Granbury. It is very well made gun. It does shoot 410 shotgun or 45 Colt which a bigger than a 45ACP. I do not carrry it for personal protection. It only fires two shots and they need to be pretty close range, especially the 410. It is also a little heavy. If you would like to come by and borrow it to take to the range, you are welcome to. It is a very nice little pistol.

Quick Reply: Conceal Carry