The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Conceal Carry

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Rob:

I have one of the Bond derringers. They are made down in Granbury. It is very well made gun. It does shoot 410 shotgun or 45 Colt which a bigger than a 45ACP. I do not carrry it for personal protection. It only fires two shots and they need to be pretty close range, especially the 410. It is also a little heavy. If you would like to come by and borrow it to take to the range, you are welcome to. It is a very nice little pistol.
How coincidental!
Both my neighbor and I would be interested in trying it out on the range. The local shooting ranges did not have these when i was last there. I will lend you a hand in getting that Olds back together in return...
I realize the short range, but if someone is coming through my window or trying to yank my car door open, I think the range will be just right.
I will let you know when.
Yep, Texas made for Texans!

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
I would probably look like a midget next to you!
Like next to the bumper?

I could not resist...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 22nd, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM

Are you really 7 ft. tall??? I would probably look like a midget next to you! LOL!!
Yes. Ask my dad (Oldsguy). That is why I don't care much for A bodies, they are too small.

BTW, I priced a Taurus Model 66 revolver in blue with 4" barrel, 7 round capacity, and rear adjustable sights at a local gun shop. They want $415 new for it. Plus, that comes with a box of free ammo! Can't beat that!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
That is why I don't care much for A bodies, they are too small.
Fiddlesticks.

Just get an A-body convertible, put the top down, and wear a motorcycle helmet with a faceshield to keep the bugs out of your teeth.
Problem solved!

Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Cutlass Lover

Like next to the bumper?

I could not resist...

LOL!!! Yep... probably like that!!!!!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Cutlass Lover

Quote:
Are you really 7 ft. tall??? I would probably look like a midget next to you! LOL!!
.....Yes. Ask my dad (Oldsguy). That is why I don't care much for A bodies, they are too small.

Wow!! I guess they would be!!! Or you could follow Rob's suggestion! LOL!!!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:38 PM

put the top down, and wear a motorcycle helmet with a faceshield to keep the bugs out of your teeth.
Sort of like George Muresan in the movie "My Giant" when he rides in Billy Crystal's MG convertible.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM

How do you fit in any car? lol I worked with a guy who bought a brand new reg cab xtreme when they came out. He was 6'9" and it was interesting to watch him get in.

Oh, my favorite gun was my Springfield XD 40. It was probably to big for CC but i shot over 1300 rounds with absolutley no jams or issues in the year I owned it. I thought I needed a .45 and regret it now. I got a cheaper .45 (cz clone) and have had several jams in the 500 rounds i have shot.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM

I'm gonna chime in here as a subject matter expert. With 12 years of law enforcement experience, 4 years as an instructor at the U of I Police Training Institute, and 8 years as a security supervisor/firearms trainer at a nuclear power plant, and oodles and oodles of years as a firearms instructor and just a firearms guy in general.

It doesn't matter to me what you carry as a self defense weapon. Bullet weight, FPS, ballistic performance, brand names, or caliber does not matter to me at all. What matters most is that you are proficient with the weapon of your choice. You must be able to take that weapon and double tap an aggressor in the center mass in less than 1.5 seconds and eliminate the threat. If you can draw that weapon and put 2 rounds in a 9" pie plate in 1.5 seconds, then you are good to go.

Personally for me, I carry the Glock Model 22 in .40 S&W. I carried it on the street as a peace officer for 12 years and I still carry it today as a personal defense weapon. As soon as I can afford it I am upgrading to the Glock 10mm in the same frame size due to the damage the 10mm does to soft tissue.

I have a $1,200.00 Kimber Stainless Tactical TLE/RLII that I absolutely LOVE! But given the choice I will always revert to my $385.00 Glock for combat. Again, it's what you like and can do well with. The .357 Magnum is a very good choice for personal defense!
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the advice gents. I will keep everyone posted. I am taking the CCW course on Feb. 13th.

BTW, you would be surprised what kind of cars a tall guy drives. Do some research on our website and you will find that I drive a VW Beetle as my daily driver (it's my wife's car)!
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the advice gents. I will keep everyone posted. I am taking the CCW course on Feb. 13th.

BTW, you would be surprised what kind of cars a tall guy drives. Do some research on our website and you will find that I drive a VW Beetle as my daily driver (it's my wife's car)!
ThisThreadIsWorthless1.jpg
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:56 AM

I'm the tall guy in the stylish Hawaiian shirt! You can see my wife's VW in the background.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunsalamander14/
Old January 25th, 2010, 07:48 AM

I cant imagine you fitting in one of those bugs, i felt cramped at 5'8". I am almost as wide as I am tall though....lol
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Ya Look like Magnum P.I. Sans 308 GTSI Ferrari
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Cutlass Lover

You are a tall drink of water!!!
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM

see how many different types of handguns they have to shoot
H & H in OKC has a good shooting range with multiple weapons to rent. I am taking my CCW course through them, so I will have to shoot at their range for the course. I will shoot a friends .22 caliber semi-automatic to qualify for Derringer, Revolver, and Automatic. However, I intend to purchase a revolver. I might consider a Taurus Model 444 .44 Magnum, or something chambered for .22 or 9mm.
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM

CCW? What dat? Oh ya... I am in Kanada.

Glock 19 would be my choice though, along with some 127 +P+ Winchester Rangers. Even the 147gr Rangers work very well.

Last edited by oldzy; January 27th, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM

I take the CCW course tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Govt slave

REMEMBER...Sight alinment and trigger control..make sure you have a good solid "base" on the grip with both hands and you should do fine. Good luck !
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM

I took the CCW course in February and I am waiting for my license. Just thought I would let everyone know that I decided to purchase a Taurus 24/7 OSS.

This is the weapon I purchased, except I bought it in 40 S&W.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=OSS
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Govt slave

Congrats,
Glad to see you went with the .40 cal
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by nukesec1
It doesn't matter to me what you carry as a self defense weapon. Bullet weight, FPS, ballistic performance, brand names, or caliber does not matter to me at all. What matters most is that you are proficient with the weapon of your choice. You must be able to take that weapon and double tap an aggressor in the center mass in less than 1.5 seconds and eliminate the threat.
Good advice.

Bigger isn't always better if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it under duress. Proficiency is the key to defense with any weapon. You pit a seasoned arms instructor with a Walther P22 up against a newb with a Desert Eagle "Gangsta Wannabe Weapon" in .50 you're going to see the newb lose. I can't stand Desert Eagle's at all.

Me , I did 10 years in the military and I've been expert qualified several times on the .45 and Beretta 92FS, and rifles. All in all I've always liked the 9mm and 40S&W, but I absolutely LOVE the .45ACP in my HK USP Tactical. So its' not the round is my point, it's the gun, and how proficient you are with it. The HK is kinda large to be a CCW weapon though.....for me anyways, I'm 5'11" 195lbs. Plus I'm in IL , so I can't have a CCW anyways.

My cousin shot a gang banger with an HK USP 45 five times and the guy lived. Obviously he sucked at aiming and he was under duress and couldn't aim very good. It's a good thing he didn't because he'd be in prison still if the guy died. The only reason I brought this up is because everyone thinks a .45 is the "end all" for self defense and it only takes 1 bullet ....not true.
I took the CCW course in February and I am waiting for my license. Just thought I would let everyone know that I decided to purchase a Taurus 24/7 OSS.

This is the weapon I purchased, except I bought it in 40 S&W.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=OSS
Good choice IMO.

I prefer the .40 myself. I sold my 2 Sigma's in .40 and I need to get a replacement
since I still have a buttload of .40 ammo sitting around without a home.

The Springfield XD and XDm's are real popular as well.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 14th, 2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the advice. My friend and I plan on registering our weapons with the armorer at Ft. Sill so we can use their range on the weekends. It's either that or drive up to OKC to shoot. I look forward to shooting the weapon for the first time.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM

I am at the point in my life that I realize that I am not going to engage in physical confrontations...My thing is to fly under the radar, not cause any ripples in the pond and let the 5150 wonder where that non-descript guy pulled that little automatic from.......CCW , I think I'll defer and take my chances with a jury of my peers rather than with the Coroner.....eight words, " I was in fear for my life " and LAWYER!!!!!!