The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Log splitters

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM

Log splitters

Totally off any subject.

BUT, I'm getting too ole to swing a maul. Do any of your guys have any experiece + - with the wide variety of hydrolic wood splitters on the market?

Citcapp, I know if you cut your own wood, you get warm "twice" I just trying to prevent cardiac failure here.

And No, I can't teach the Bear to do anything but "poop in the woods"
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM

I've used the screw type and the angle that the ram presses the wood against. Compared to swinging a maul, I liked them both I think the key issue would be get a powerfull enough engine that it won't bog down. These two would split anything I put in front of them! John
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:15 PM

Done gave up splitting wood. After doing it for 30 years as the main source of heat in our house I installed a heat pump last year, Now I only keep a cord around incase of loss of power and I have that delivered to old for that crap anymore. Just have enough energy to work on my cars and thats a close thing You need to work harder on the bear training try beer next time who knows might work, at least you will have one happy bear
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:57 PM

Bought one from the Home Depot, it can split vertical for big rounds or horizontal for lifting smaller stuff. Its like a 26 ton or so and a 5.5 HP engine. Handles most anything you can throw at it and it was gust over a grand. Had it like 4 years now still going strong.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Oldsdruid

Agreed. I busted enough wood when I was younger that I promised myself as long as I could afford to have something other than wood heat, I would have it.

My daddy didn't believe in a log splitter either. It was all maul and wedge. He was bad about doing everything the hard way. 1) he didn't know any better, and 2) he was too cheap to build or buy one.

My Aunt Evelyn (his older sister) had to shame him into getting me a riding lawnmower to cut the 2 acres of yard he insisted on having. He seeded and fertilized it one year and it set in to raining and hot, and the summer I was 14 I was cutting grass every day with an old wore-out 18" push mower just to keep up with it. Don't even think about getting ahead of it. She told him if he wouldn't buy it, she would buy it and it would be mine and he'd better keep his *** off it. So he went to K-Mart and bought a 30" cut Huffy with a 5 horse Briggs. That yard worked that little mower to death, but it was better than what I'd had.

Now that I'm in a position to have things to make my life easier, you better believe I have them. But I still don't intend to have no log splitter!

Last edited by rocketraider; August 22nd, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM

With these splitters its more like fun than work......I split wood too the old fasion way so I know the difference. I look at it as excercise, since at work I dont get much.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Bought one from the Home Depot, it can split vertical for big rounds or horizontal for lifting smaller stuff. Its like a 26 ton or so and a 5.5 HP engine. Handles most anything you can throw at it and it was gust over a grand. Had it like 4 years now still going strong.
Well thanks,

I guess I'll wander on over to Casa De pot and see what they got.

That sound cheaper than even the ones in Harbor Freight.

I gots to retire the ole Go Devil or my wife is gonna be giv'in way Oldsmobiles [and I know ya'll don't want that]
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM

Jamsbo, I'll trade you a log splitter for one of yours Olds, Heck I'll even deliver it and set it up for you What a deal, watcha think?
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM

My dad just recently bought a hand operated hydraulic one for I believe less than a couple hundred dollars. It does a pretty good job and is definitely faster/easier than hand splitting.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM

i cut wood the hard way when i lived with my mom and dad. now i just work on enough 4 wheelers and buy and sell enough oldsmobiles as a side job to pay the heat bill. i figure that i would have well over 150 hours per year in cutting, hauling , taking out ashes, moving from wood pile to wood stove and etc....... i can work 150 hours on 4 wheelers and make $5250. this way i do what i want to do and not what i have to do. if i was to heat with wood i would now use a log splitter but think i can split it myself faster. as far as what brand, i have no idea.
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Jamsbo, What a deal, watcha think?

Me thinks you think I ges fell off a turnip truck.
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Eureka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRg8rJUXwQc
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Great idea, now I know what you look like, with posi you could run two saws.
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
same but different

Originally Posted by citcapp
Great idea, now I know what you look like, with posi you could run two saws.
If you don't have a posi, you better give'em a call

Shameless plug...if you're seriously looking take a look at these:

http://www.swisherinc.com/log_splitters.asp

They are locally (to me) made and you'll support American labor.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I have a gas log that will get any round going ...

I cut to length and chunk the whole thing in my fireplace ...

If I can split it easy with my maul I'll do that ...
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
red green is my hero.

just remember, keep your stick on the ice!
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM

I just borrowed one from a friend and I took enough pics, notes, sketches to build one just like it. Now I just need the money to build it...
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Agreed. I busted enough wood when I was younger that I promised myself as long as I could afford to have something other than wood heat, I would have it.

My daddy didn't believe in a log splitter either. It was all maul and wedge. He was bad about doing everything the hard way. 1) he didn't know any better, and 2) he was too cheap to build or buy one.

My Aunt Evelyn (his older sister) had to shame him into getting me a riding lawnmower to cut the 2 acres of yard he insisted on having. He seeded and fertilized it one year and it set in to raining and hot, and the summer I was 14 I was cutting grass every day with an old wore-out 18" push mower just to keep up with it. Don't even think about getting ahead of it. She told him if he wouldn't buy it, she would buy it and it would be mine and he'd better keep his *** off it. So he went to K-Mart and bought a 30" cut Huffy with a 5 horse Briggs. That yard worked that little mower to death, but it was better than what I'd had.

Now that I'm in a position to have things to make my life easier, you better believe I have them. But I still don't intend to have no log splitter!
lol I remember the old huffy rider lawnmowers I had a field day with those my grandmother had three at one time.My neighbor had one as well you don't see them any more.Ha my father hated them was forever fixing and changing belts

Me thinks you think I ges fell off a turnip truck.
that was a interesting and funny show.many are dissapointed that the red and green show ended.It was ductape gone wild for the most part.like the two cars put together think is was awd.funny show.We have a logsplitter that was bought years ago when the store was call cental tractor I am gessing when they were bought out the name changed to tractor supply.