The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

your yearly check in with your ride.

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2019, 09:57 AM
jfb

Exclamation your yearly check in with your ride.

well tommorow in st charles il is the annual bopc swap meet enough said look it up for directions. I am looking to add a few parts myself and some needed parts that crack from use think along the lines of grilles etc. I upgrade in the spring along with natural duties at the house and use time wisely to achieve all. so what are you doing this spring to your ride.
Old February 16th, 2019, 10:12 AM

Spring schming...I've been tinkering all Winter 😀

Here's just a few things I've done:
Rear bumper fillers and bumper adjustment
OEM wiper blades
Spare tire and bumper jack setup
Installed trunk light
New floor mats
New chrome plates for the inside door handles
OEM left rear wheel well trim
Cutlass scripts on front fenders
Front license plate bracket

Upcoming projects:
New rear package tray
OEM fan shroud
New trans cooler and lines
New oil filter adapter gasket
passenger side door mirror

Last edited by 72455; February 16th, 2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old February 16th, 2019, 06:10 PM

On the agenda is paint touch up, engine wheels, and body of the car both colors (rock chips). I just received the rebuilt fuel pump from Fusick and that has to go in before it will run a foot on it's own. Found the beginning of a mouse nest, need to investigate that before I have to replace the carpet again. Still have a leak somewhere in the transmission, that's a old issue that I have lived with for a few years but it still pisses me off that my transmission guru can't find it.. It never ends.... Lost in the fifties.... Tedd
Old February 19th, 2019, 06:43 AM

Hey Tedd, I had a transmission oil leak that drove me crazy and couldn't find it. I was also trying to get rid of some hornets in the crawl space of my house at the same time. I ordered a insect fogger and while using it with the insect killer dust I had a idea. I had the Olds up on jack stands and fogged the entire transmission area underneath with the dry powder. It showed up right where the leak was and I was able to fix it. Worked great for me. Now I don't have a big mess on the floor after storing car all winter. Of course this wouldn't work with a leak that is only when the car is going down the road. It's funny how transparent that atf can be but the powder shows it right up!
Old February 20th, 2019, 07:59 AM

Worth a try. I believe it is coming from the speedometer attachment bu tthat is just a guess...... Thanks... Tedd
Old February 20th, 2019, 05:13 PM

When the weather breaks I will remove the 4-speed console for restoration, clean the floor metal, POR 15 the floor, install sound deadener, Restore kick panels, repair the courtesy lights wiring that was done incorrectly, (my 66 is a vert) install new carpeting and reinstall the console. That should keep me busy and hopefully have it all done by May 5 dust off. I think thats enough.
Wayne
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:56 PM
W30

I'm overworked and a baby on the way, so no car fun for me.
but I want to through the carb away, swap my " race" carb on.....or switch to fuel injection.....but idk if that will =lost in fun factor
Old February 23rd, 2019, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by 35tac
When the weather breaks I will remove the 4-speed console for restoration, clean the floor metal, POR 15 the floor, install sound deadener, Restore kick panels, repair the courtesy lights wiring that was done incorrectly, (my 66 is a vert) install new carpeting and reinstall the console. That should keep me busy and hopefully have it all done by May 5 dust off. I think thats enough.
Wayne
Wow I taught your car looked mint condition? Good luck
Old February 24th, 2019, 10:35 AM

The carpeting was somewhat shabby so I decided to do the carpeting which triggered everything else. When its done it should perk up the interior nicely.
Thanks
Wayne
Old February 27th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I just finished installing new carpet and new sound deadener. It really made a difference inside the car as far as the road noise. This weekend I'm planning on making my own package tray, so I have to pull the rear seat out again.

@35tac, don't waste your time and money with POR, instead use rustoleum from Home depot. Much better than POR at fraction of a price.

Old February 27th, 2019, 11:45 AM

What Rustoleum product did you use. I don't want to spray. Was it brushed on?

How did the carpet install go. Bucket or bench seats? How did you approach the console install and did you cut the carpet/ deadiner for seat mounting.

Thanks for the information.

Wayne
Old February 27th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Beer Connoisseur

It's a regular Rustoleum enamel, the one that has STOPS RUST across the can. I have brushed it and rolled it before and I've sprayed it thinned down. Both ways will give you great results.

I have bucket seats and carpet is not all that hard, just take your time and don't rush it.

I didn't cut for the seats, once everything was in place I used a soldering iron to make holes and bolted the seats on top of the carpet. Soldering iron will not pull the threads out of the carpet.

The shifter can be tricky, be very careful as it's easy to make a too big of a hole. The carpet is molded so it will give you an idea how it should go in. I pushed it up as far as it can go under the dash, centered it over the shifter, cut a small hole and enlarge it little by little until it fits snug around the shifter.

For sound deadener I used Peal and Seal from Lowes $17 a role. I used it before on other cars and it gives me the same results as much more expensive Dynomat.
Lay it down and heat it up with the heat gun to promote adhesion. Make holes for seats and seat belts before you lay down the carpet, easier to locate the holes through the carpet that way.

Order the carpet from Rockauto, it's a ACC carpet and that's the cheapest place to get it from.

Rustoleum is around $9 a quart at home depot.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 70cutty; February 27th, 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old February 27th, 2019, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the tips. It's still winter here in Ohio so I hope tail end of March is warm enough to get my 66 out of storage. Looking forward to get going. First thing is to pull the bucket seats and console. Going to do some restoration on the 4-speed console. Lots to do. Where is Daly city. We have kids in Green Brae north of SanFrancisco.

Wayne
Old February 28th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Thanks for the tips. It's still winter here in Ohio so I hope tail end of March is warm enough to get my 66 out of storage. Looking forward to get going. First thing is to pull the bucket seats and console. Going to do some restoration on the 4-speed console. Lots to do. Where is Daly city. We have kids in Green Brae north of SanFrancisco.

Wayne
No problem at all, I'm glad I could help. I repaired my console as well, filled the cracks with epoxy and paint it with SEM trim paint. It's not perfect but it is a lot nicer than it was before.
Daly City is basically suburb of San Francisco on the South/West side, city line is couple of blocks away from my house. I can see parts of SF from my living room window, but don't have to deal with SF crap. Greenbrae is not that far from me, right across Golden Gate bridge.

Old February 28th, 2019, 08:33 AM

Family from SanFrancisco will be coming here 3/23. I don't know when our next trip will be to SFO but its usually Thanksgiving or Christmas. Is there a good Oldsmobile get together in the SFO area? There was a good car show in 2017 in Greenbrae during the Napa fire. Didn't deter the number of entries. Only three oldsmobiles if I remember correctly. Maybe we can connect some day. Todays high is 27 F. Maybe I can get myself to go in the garage to assemble my new tool chest. Take care and thanks for the tips. Looking forward to see more of your car.
Thanks
Wayne
Old March 1st, 2019, 10:07 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Family from SanFrancisco will be coming here 3/23. I don't know when our next trip will be to SFO but its usually Thanksgiving or Christmas. Is there a good Oldsmobile get together in the SFO area? There was a good car show in 2017 in Greenbrae during the Napa fire. Didn't deter the number of entries. Only three oldsmobiles if I remember correctly. Maybe we can connect some day. Todays high is 27 F. Maybe I can get myself to go in the garage to assemble my new tool chest. Take care and thanks for the tips. Looking forward to see more of your car.
Thanks
Wayne

There are really no Oldsmobile gatherings around here, but there are plenty of classic car events year round. Send me a message before you guys come down and I'll find some events near by. Maybe we can meet up at the event, beer and cheesesteak on me.

Last edited by 70cutty; March 1st, 2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old March 1st, 2019, 05:29 PM

Looking forward to that.
Thanks
Wayne
Old March 16th, 2019, 12:20 PM
jfb

This is for all to see and understand the trans leak is the converter draining into the pan usaully . The converter when not used has a decent amount of fluid in it. Just think about it afterwards the converter refills and the leak stops the extra pressure is relieved from the refill of the converter.