The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Nostalgic Diners across US and Canada

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2019, 05:46 PM

Nostalgic Diners across US and Canada

Thinking about starting some cruises to some Old style diners. One to get the cars/trucks/ bikes out and the other to support these vanishing gems.

I hit one back from Gettysburg last summer near Hershey but can't remember where. My particular area would be the north east but if I drive to Wichita for the nationals I'd be interested in a few to and from.
I'll have to pay closer attention to Diners,Dives and Drive Inns. Guy Fireri could be a great source.

Post what you got that's still open. Off the beaten track just off the interstate, whatever.
Old January 10th, 2019, 06:54 PM
72 Olds CS

theres a drive in in leicester mass.

there is a drive in in northfield mass

ive never been to either one but may goto the northfield one this summer
Old January 10th, 2019, 10:22 PM

https://www.facebook.com/redhorsediner/

Stumbled onto this one a few years back. Cool place, good food.
Old January 10th, 2019, 10:26 PM

Wellsboro, PA and Lisbon, OH have good ones! Wellsboro is on PA Rt. 6 near the PA Grand Canyon and a lot of other scenic areas, and south of Corning, NY/Finger Lakes region.

Terry
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:42 AM
Running On Empty

The Exmore Diner
This place is the real deal. Built in 1947, shipped to VA. Closed during the 60s/70s, reopened local owners. Original tile throughout, original fans, original seats, original tables & an absolute killer country breakfast. Service outstanding.
WELL off the beaten track from anywhere - I mean -
- you're out there.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5188...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.facebook.com/Exmore-Diner-101742584979/

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 11th, 2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old January 11th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Hookers under Hood

I really like the drive in style "Old A&W". I don't know if many were around, I don't recall seeing any other's on our road trip vacations. We had one in Toronto were we grew up. My parents took us many times when we were small. Thinking back to what I remember, it would be around the years of 1971-1975
Only open during the summer months, all the cars were parked on 45deg angles in an oval shaped parking lot. Big box you talked into when ordering.
The girls would roller skate up to the car with platters, hang them on off the windows, 50's 60s tunes playing. It was great. My Dad, always paid in cash, imagine that.
Their was also a Happy Days restaurant, same sort of deal, eat in or dine at your car. Jukebox playing, everyone just seemed to be outgoing and happy back then.
Now we call skip the dishes, have dinner delivered in 30min or less, tap the card and start eating haha.
Every Friday night, we either go to Kelseys, the Keg or Shoeless Joe's. Nothing spectacular, no tunes, just BIG screen TV's with different sports channels on. The lights are so dim we can hardly see what were eating, but its a night out, well deserved after a work week.
Where have all the good times and places gone ?

Eric
Old January 11th, 2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by zeeke
I hit one back from Gettysburg last summer near Hershey but can't remember where.
Was it Zinn's in Denver, PA (off of I-78)?
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:08 PM
Administrator

The Greek Diners in Central Jersey, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 76olds
I really like the drive in style "Old A&W".
My first (illegal) job was at A&W, Elgin, IL (I lied about my age - I was 15 yrs old - 1967). The car hops were all good looking gals. I've found several of the original style A&W Root Beer stands on my cross-country adventures, but they're far & few between. One Friday night several of the car hops put me in the trunk of their car, took me to a Drive-In theater, and taught me stuff. Happy Days, indeed.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 12th, 2019 at 08:21 AM. Reason: grammar
Old January 12th, 2019, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by vette442
Was it Zinn's in Denver, PA (off of I-78)?
Can't remember the name. Not far from Hershey though. From the picture on Google it doesn't look like it. It was red and white and had an ice cream counter on the left side and no steps or ramps. Off the beaten track about a mile or two at a 3 way intersection. From there we hit the train house on I-78 but they where closing. Then we took the local road adjacent to 78 and ran into a Hudson Garage which was also closed. Looked like they had at least 20 fully restored Hudsons in the place.

On another note I used to have a bungalow in Tuckerton Beach, NJ until Sandy reclaimed it. There's a Stewarts there Just south by 1000 feet off Rt. 539 on the East side of Rt. 9. They pull some cars in, I think on Tuesday nights.

Vintage Chief I was negative 1 back in 67.

Last edited by zeeke; January 12th, 2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:20 PM

Nostalgic, hmmm no but I like good breakfasts. I'm always looking for smaller owner type restaurants. Cheryls Place, Brighton Mi. Great breakfast. Kensville restaurant, Mackinac city, good food. The Barn restaurant, Delta ,Ohio, I always stop there, right off the Ohio turnpike. Yankee Kitchen, Vienna, Ohio. If they have 3 or 4 calendars hanging and lots of Oldtimers, I know the foods going to be good and reasonably priced. Ha ha.
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Running On Empty

Then we took the local road adjacent to 78 and ran into a Hudson Garage
Old Spokes Auto Museum, New Smithville, PA - The Home of the Hudson (?)
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:24 PM
Running On Empty

It was red and white and had an ice cream counter on the left side and no steps or ramps. Off the beaten track about a mile or two at a 3 way intersection.
Airport Diner in Kutztown, PA?