A warning to all you old farts out there - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > General > The Clubhouse
A warning to all you old farts out there >

A warning to all you old farts out there

The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Old December 30th, 2018, 03:54 PM

I've been retired two years now and had worked in Forestry for 37 years. While walking through the woods, maybe on a steep side slope every once in a while I'd lose my footing and fall down. No big deal, I'd get back up and continue on my way. Well... about a month ago I slipped in my driveway, on the wet asphalt, in my DRIVEWAY! I was going down on my butt when I stuck my arm out to break my fall. I didn't think about it, just stuck the arm out there. NOW, they tell me to tuck and roll, not try to break the fall. I doubt I had time to think about that even if I'd known that ahead of time. The palm of my hand hit first and I felt my elbow lock. That was some of the worst pain I've ever felt. I knew I screwed something up in there so I went to an urgent care clinic thinking it would be fast. The second lesson I learn through this adventure. If you don't have a bone sticking out of your body they may not be fast. So four weeks, four doctors, two X-rays and one MRI I now know I've got torn ligaments, cracked bone, bone chip floating in there, joint mis-aligned, and fluid that shouldn't be there for that chip to float in. I've got good insurance, but I'm waiting for the surgeon to "work me in" to the schedule. I guess I'm na´ve but I didn't expect this to take so long to find out what I screwed up and get it fixed. So... all you old guys out there if your going down just tuck and roll. Don't try to break the fall!!!
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:09 PM

Sorry to hear this, John. Hope you're all fixed up soon. After all, I might need some more parts!
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Olds Fever

Hope you heal well very soon... I do have to say it is hard for us "older" guys to slow down and take the time needed to heal properly... I know when I am not feeling very well and there are things to be done, it's my wife who always says "Are you sure you should be doing that right now"??? That makes me think twice about a better option to take at the time...
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Oh no, not again...

Yup; falls can be serious. 5 years ago I missed the last step down into the garage going for my second beer. Tried to control or break the fall and ended up tearing the quad off my kneecap (92%) on my left leg and breaking my right foot. Worst pain I have ever experienced. Ended up standing for 6 hours in ER until someone could look at it and even then, it was diagnosed as a serious sprain because I was walking. Hindsight tells me (and if it had been 100% tear) I shouldn't have tried walking. It took 2 surgeries to fix (1st one came apart inside a month) 2013 was the year from hell for me, and I hadn't even hit 50 yet.
Never, ever discount the damage a 6 inch fall can cause.
Old December 30th, 2018, 05:20 PM

jaunty, you haven't purchased the whole car yet so I figured you might need something else

Cruzn, it sounds like your wife has a lot of common sense. I'm single, which makes it better when I find another dead car to drag home. But have to say, sometimes I really do need another set of eyes to look at a situation and suggest I step back and think a little more before barreling forward!

Nailhead, when we were kids it seems like we were indestructible. But now, the body does seem a little more frail.

Thank you all for the kind thoughts. I hoping to get this fixed and have a fully functional left arm soon!!!
Old December 30th, 2018, 05:25 PM

heal quick. I just recuperated from trip and fall in the garage,bruised my rt ribs real bad,took about 5 weeks to heal. hope they get you back together soon
Old December 30th, 2018, 05:32 PM

man nailhead i hope you at least got to drink the beer.i know i would have.might have even grabbed a couple more just to kill some pain.
Old December 30th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Oh no, not again...

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople View Post
man nailhead i hope you at least got to drink the beer.i know i would have.might have even grabbed a couple more just to kill some pain.
Unfortunately not. It ended up smashed on the floor. And when I saw the 3" lump above the knee that was the muscle, I would have hurled where it not for the pain.
Old December 30th, 2018, 05:50 PM

First week in July,I had my family out on a pontoon . While wife was pulling into dock,I always step off the boat onto the dock to grab it. Next thing I know I am in the water and left leg is killing me. Had to climb up the ladder at back of boat, get on dock and cover it up. Walk up to the truck carry coolers and stuff,drive home and put everything away. Next day , I am walking on it with a bad limp. Go to Doc in the box and find I broke my ankle. 14 weeks later I am healed. 64 Years old. That took care of fishing for the year. My car is a 4 speed ,so it sat for a while. Sons came over to "check on dad", and can I drive your car? Take care guys,we are not getting any younger. Bassinguy
Old December 30th, 2018, 06:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your fall.. The reality is that we as humans are far weaker than we'd ever like (or be willing to admit) to.. My fifteen year old son was at a friend's house and they decided to play hide and seek at night during a sleepover. My son tripped over a tree root and broke his pitching elbow about 10 months ago. Two surgeries and a pin later, he is still using a bone stimulation device to try to return his arm to a normally useful range. We take our health completely for granted and only pray for good health when we are broken. Fortunately there is a huge amount of good luck on our side (perhaps more than luck) that keeps us moving around from day to day. I'm sure that it becomes more apparent when we are older, we hurt more and feel the after affects more easily. Give yourself a chance to get better and then get back in the saddle if able,..and count your blessings!!
Old December 30th, 2018, 07:50 PM
same but different

Yea John, good advice. Mother nature has a way of telling us that youth has passed us by. Just ask father time. Best wishes for a fast recovery.
We don't expect it, but we shouldn't be scared to get out and do something in garage either. You just never know.
Old December 30th, 2018, 07:54 PM

I hope you have a speedy recovery John. Hey, I don't think age has anything to do with these types of injuries. I've had more than my share than I care to admit through out my lifetime. It just takes longer to heal.
Old December 30th, 2018, 08:26 PM
Randy C.

I hate it when stuff like that happens! Heal fast and take the right precautions so it heals as it is supposed to heal! I'm sure there's more rain down the road the next few months so be real careful!

Best Regards,
Randy C.
Old December 31st, 2018, 04:37 AM

A few years ago I caught myself falling on the last patch of ice [under and eve] in the sunny south. Jammed my wrist bad, It happened so fast I didn't have time to think. Be careful out there Olds friends. As my mother used to say " I don't have time to take you to the hospital"
Old December 31st, 2018, 06:59 AM

Last summer I had a friend come over and take down a big (HUGE) willow tree that had passed on. I was unloading the stumps from my trailer onto my burn pile and stepped off the end of the trailer. I went down into the pile of limbs and stumps, body first. Luckily I did not try to break my fall and emerged upright without a scratch. At 74 years old I consider myself lucky to get away without any broken bones.
Old December 31st, 2018, 09:08 AM

I have a Rodney Dangerfield body. For years I treated it with disrespect thinking I was bullet proof. Old Man Time doesn't forget the foolishness of youth and some 70 years later I'm more bionic than organic with four joint replacements and stalling on a fifth.I wished I would been a cheer leader rather than a jock now but nobody could have convinced me at that time. Strange how one day you wake up and some how you got old over night, now where did I leave my cane?....... Tedd
Old December 31st, 2018, 11:24 AM

That's definitely a bummer John. I hope you get fixed up by the surgeon.
Old December 31st, 2018, 11:54 AM
Hookers under Hood

Oh man, you Old Farts really need to start takin' it hhheasy haha.
The last fall I took was last Easter . Let me tell ya'
My wife put er' bunny outfit on, hiding a basket of eggs all over the house,
Well I have a few bourbon's and things were looking and feelin' pretty good. So Jack in my head says, hey. go after er' 'n' get a piece of tail , so I answered him 'n' my head 'n said yeah that sounds good Jack.
So I ran after my bunny , pants fallin half the way off, got to the stairs , tripped and fell rite in er' basket.
Lord Tunderin' Geez , eggs start goin everywhere but didn't break a bone.

Hope you have a speedy one John !
Eric
Old December 31st, 2018, 12:53 PM
Bfg

The medical accomplishments have improved tremendously. I have heard that they are doing whole body transplants from the neck down. I'm already on the waiting list. The cost is very expensive right now but I was told it is a lot cheaper if you have the procedure performed in Mexico.
Old December 31st, 2018, 01:23 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Sorry to hear this,thoughts and prayers for a fast recovery.
Old December 31st, 2018, 02:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

John, I'm so sorry to hear you got injured that badly from the fall and wish you a speedy as possible recovery. I prefer to monitor my 'elevation changes' very carefully myself as I'm not a stable as I used to be. Fortunately for me it's not usually very far to the ground or floor...
Old December 31st, 2018, 05:25 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I know I am a tough ole bird but I try not to press my luck. The worst thing I ever did (Allan I think you have heard this story) was to take a 10 foot fall straight down off a ladder and land on my feet. I crushed the L2 vertebrae and spent 2 days in the hospital and 90 days in a back brace. No surgery and I had a complete recovery. It rarely ever bothers me. I was very fortunate. I could have been in a wheelchair the rest of my life. In November my brothers daughter-in-law fell at the bottom of the stairs and used her left arm to brake the fall. She literally shattered her arm and elbow. She is in her mid 40's so it isn't just us old farts.
Old January 1st, 2019, 06:15 PM

Worst thing I did this year was run too much. I've got flat feet, always have, and I noticed I was crapping out at 18 miles in, repeatedly, in training. One day I got a marathon in. So I figure, I'm good to go for this endurance 8 hour run my crazy friend likes to do.

3.4 mile loop. First loop, excellent. Second loop, good. Third and fourth, good. Fifth, ok. Now, I'm in some 17 miles, and, right at most of the way through 6, out goes my right ankle. I stagger through seven, and I'm walking, and badly enough people are asking
me if I need an ambulance, coroner, or bartender. I meet this older gent who I had met the night before, and we walked the last lap in style, drinking the margaritas that the aid stations swapped to in the last half hour.

Turns out, I cause bad pressure on the metatarsals with rolling, and my podiatrist paraded me around like a lab specimen. Visit to the sports therapy place across the hall, and I have a couple pair of excellent orthotic insoles now.

Ran three miles tonight to start the new year. Out of shape and slow, but my feet feel fine.
Old January 1st, 2019, 06:34 PM

The exact same thing happened to me last December, walking at a flea market and stepped on a patch of black ice, outstretched my left arm fully to reach for a table. I did not fall but the pain in my shoulder was bad. Kept my arm at my side and the pain subsided. After a week I found I could not lift my arm overhead without pain. After 6 months all seemed well except I still could not straighten my arm out overhead. Well I started to exercise this arm and today I am 99%, never saw a doctor but I guess my injury was way lesser than yours.
Old January 1st, 2019, 07:01 PM

As I read through these replies its clear I'm in good company! It sounds like many of us have banged ourselves up. I've only got about a third of my range of motion and the way it hurts I'm anxious to get it fixed. But also I've got a lead on two parts cars and need to make room behind the garage if I hope to get them. This is not a good time to be down an arm!!!
Old January 1st, 2019, 08:34 PM

This past July I was on a 4 ft ladder trying to get a third row seat for my Tahoe down from a shelf. I forgot how heavy it was. I wasn't directly in front of it, since my garage happens to be over cluttered. So, I was leaning over, and the heavier than expected seat came down and I went with it, landing on the snowblower. What saved me was the Tahoe's third row area weathertech rubber mat was draped over the snowblower, since I'd washed it the day before. After trying to maneuver to get up, I would up all the way down on the floor. I was sore all over for about a week, but nothing worse than that. Could've been a disaster.

I wish everyone a safe and Happy New Year, and to those of you in pain, I wish a speedy recovery.
Old January 6th, 2019, 06:37 PM

Thank you guys for the LAUGH's !!
When I go blind, I want you guys to lead me to the "bunny-hole" (rabbit-hole) so I can take a flying Leap. Hope there really is bunnies and beer down there.

Good god, we are lucky to be here you know. I am currently 67, and due to health issues I had to give up beer for pot. _ _ _ not bad, especially when I am up on the snow-ski hill admiring all of the snow bunnies !! yeah-baby, talk about "Lust" geeze-Louise ! instant-attention at full-point with nose-into-the-wind ! yeah baby.

I had my low in 2014, and am on Humira now 4-years already. Hey, living up here in northern California, we have good pot. thank heavens.
Being a snow skier, not a runner, I have learned to Stretch before the first run. There are 2-ways to pre-stretch:
First, you can spread the legs arms out and bend over many times trying to touch the ground and get the muscles stretched.
Second, you can pop-the-top of a Cold-Pop and slam-down several and this method works as it Limbers the body and the brain. !!

I always took the Second approach, and never wound up in the First Aid shack. Now, not being able to drink, I have a few puffs, and it works wonders.
Those Ski Bunnies look as pretty as those Cheerleaders mentioned earlier in this thread. Mmm, a good boost to the spirits, right ! Ski Bunnies & Cheerleaders !

I feel better already, but hey, watch out for the step-down off the curb !
Old January 6th, 2019, 07:21 PM

HMM guys in 2018 I joined the "Stint Club" with 2 stints. I feel very blessed that this is the first time in 65 years I have had a mechanic issue that required surgery! Been fine since however, I realized that getting old is a "privilege". I looked at all the people that I have known through out the years never even lived for 65 years, it amazed me. So all that said, I'm good with where I am in this life and I need to get the 64-F85 on the road and meet some of you guys!! Things are going great at work, I have no plans to retire at 66. BUT I know things can turn on a dime. Besides this can be an expensive hobby and I need to buy car parts!!! Over and out.
Old January 11th, 2019, 09:06 AM

2blu442:
I can bring a trailer up to Medford and help you clear out some relics to open-up some Space for your "new-collectibles" hahaha
And I do have an addiction for the old '40's vintage ****** jeep parts.
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Greaser007 View Post
2blu442:
I can bring a trailer up to Medford and help you clear out some relics to open-up some Space for your "new-collectibles" hahaha
And I do have an addiction for the old '40's vintage ****** jeep parts.
I managed to get the two cars home. I'm getting surgery on the elbow next week, so I made it in time! Have you heard about the car collection over in Nevada, not too far away? He's been listing them on Craigslist and I think his prices are high but if he want's to liquidate his collection eventually he'll find what prices will sell cars. He's got some Jeeps, plus military trucks from WWII. Here's a couple links to check out if you want. John

Then if your on facebook here's another one
https://www.facebook.com/The-Cars-of...2198950573802/
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:19 PM

2blu442 - I have seen those advertised on the Redding Craigslist recently. It would be fun to go look and look.
And based on your thread-starter, as you say, if while wandering around that old auto-yard, if we sense a fall, just "Tuck-and-Roll" right ! simple-simon.

Like most of us, I have a yard-full of relics, and my wife would throw-out my clothes and Me if I drug-home another ! chortle.
Old January 12th, 2019, 11:44 PM

If you fall and get hurt, even if you think that someone can drive you to the hospital, don't. Call for the ambulance, and you go to the head of the line. This is the best advise that I can give, because after the damage is done, only the doctor can put ole Humpty Dumpty back together. I speak from experience. If you even think what you are experiencing, is just a flu or some chest cold, don't gamble, go directly to the hospital. I can count on more than my 2 hands people that are no longer with us, because they delayed, and when they finally got to the hospital, it was too late to do anything for them. Don't let your first ride in a hearse be your last.