The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

One Kidney

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2018, 11:29 AM

One Kidney

Anyone here living with just one kidney? I had one removed last Friday. Just wondering if it changed your life much, as how you feel, or what you you do, like I can't or don 't do this or that, compared to be for removal? Iike to know a little what I can look forward to. I'm starting to fell much better today, but still sore. Going to start driving tomorrow, so that will help in doing things. Just courious.
Old December 13th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

My mother-in-law had one removed in 1974. The surgery was a lot different then and they literally cut you open almost half way around your waist. The recovery was long but she lived until 1996 and died at 81. I had a coworker a few years ago who had one removed. He had been training for a marathon and was very fit. He actually ran the marathon two months after the surgery. They removed his gall bladder at the same time. I think you will do very well. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old December 13th, 2018, 05:00 PM

Yes the surgery is different today. They made about 4 small cuts, on my stomach and chest, looks like I was shot. they cut me below my belly button, more to the left side. Disconnected the kidney, put it in a bag, and worked it around and out of my body. Went in Friday morning, and came home Sat morning. Starting to fell better today.
Old December 13th, 2018, 08:43 PM
same but different

Best Wishes Harv!
Old December 14th, 2018, 06:13 AM

Glad you're starting to feel better Harv. Get well soon!
Old December 14th, 2018, 07:48 AM

I've got a friend who apparently lived his whole life with only one. He didn't even know it until he went in for some testing for something unrelated when he was in his mid 40's
Old December 14th, 2018, 08:55 AM

Born with one kidney, never knew I didn't have two.

Originally Posted by 442Harv
Anyone here living with just one kidney? I had one removed last Friday. Just wondering if it changed your life much, as how you feel, or what you you do, like I can't or don 't do this or that, compared to be for removal? Iike to know a little what I can look forward to. I'm starting to fell much better today, but still sore. Going to start driving tomorrow, so that will help in doing things. Just courious.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

About 6 years ago I developed a kidney stone and so off to Emergency Room of local hospital. To keep the story short, they X-rayed my torso as part of diagnosing the source of the pain. I'd told them I was thinking it was a kidney stone. Dr. came back into my room and said "You're right, it is a kidney stone and we'll have to remove it." He paused and then said "Did you know you only have one kidney?" My reply, "No, how would I know? I never had an xray of that part of my body--never had a reason to have an xray in that area." In blissful ignorance I've lived what I'd call a very normal life including doing some high risk things.

So at that point I'd lived about 69 years with only one kidney, never had any adverse symptoms and played hard engaging in usual boy sports like football, baseball etc. did my share of falling while hiking and hunting in Idaho mountains, had a couple of different off-road motorcycles and abused my body by launching myself off them hard enough to break ribs a couple of times, drank beer to excess in my late teens and 20s (didn't know I was testing the capacity of a solitary kidney). I've had both hips replaced and a couple of lower back operations but none of these revealed the fact there was only one kidney.

Upon reflection, if I'd known since day one that I had a single kidney I would most likely have passed on dirt bike racing but probably would have done the other high risk things. Now I'm 78 and have slowed a bit but find that what I have to watch out for is urinary tract infections from not taking enough liquids and not doing enough exercising. Listen to your doctors when they preach about keeping water intake high.

Old December 14th, 2018, 07:00 PM

Wishing for a full speedy recovery.

My brother had one removed this year due to a cancerous tumor. He seems to be bouncing back well.
Old December 15th, 2018, 09:03 AM

went in for x ray for kidney stones and doc told me I had 2 1/2 kidneys. prayers for your healing
Old December 15th, 2018, 12:39 PM

Thanks guys for your info, and concerns. Mine was cancer, DR say's all inside, and probably got it all, will not need any type, treatment. I guess I'm lucky, thanks
Old December 15th, 2018, 12:47 PM

My sister in law had the same situation, Went in for kidney stones, x-rays showed cancer, [ all contained in one kidney.] She had it removed 5+ years ago and is still teaching gym