The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Best type of payment for parts sales

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2018, 06:21 AM

Best type of payment for parts sales

Ready to start selling off some olds parts, what is the best type of payment to accept for both buyer/seller. Not a fan of pay pal after hearing about hacked accounts. Realize there's ebay but would like to sell the parts here, have also heard of sales going through and then buyer states he didn't get part or broken and gets there money back.
Old December 8th, 2018, 06:41 AM

I don't think there is a perfect way to sell parts and guarantee payment. I usually get payment by a postal MO. When I sell something I will go ahead and send the part/pieces before I have even received payment, but that just my trusting my fellow Olds people. Never been burned but once by an Olds guy from Florida. Traded him a 66 442 carb, was supposed to trade me another carb but never sent it to me.
Old December 8th, 2018, 09:03 AM

I use paypal all the time, including buying parts from two regular visitors to this site. It really can't be beat for speed and convenience. I wouldn't let the horror stories stop you. For every story of a hacked account, there's 100,000 paypal users who have no problem at all.
Old December 8th, 2018, 09:28 AM
72 Olds CS

Cash is the best way, but not always practical. I agree w jaunty PayPal is reasonable safe and very easy. I have sent and received USPS MOs and that's fine but there is added time and inconvenience for both parties.

i don't think anyone can hack your PayPal any easier than your email or any other acct. I think most times phishes fool you into giving your acct info to them.

Never beleive an an email or phone msg is from PayPal or eBay. If there is an acct problem, go to the www yourself log in n check messages yourself. Don't be like my mom and go to google and type in fidelity account login to find your financial services login page ��

I also do do not attach my bank info to PayPal only a credit card so if needed there is added protection from the cc. This means you can only get $500 a month in a check from PayPal if you want money out of your pp acct. but most times I leave the money in pp and spend it on more olds parts or many retailers take pp like advance auto or rock auto
Old December 8th, 2018, 09:29 AM

It gets me, though, about paypal that everyone on this site wants money to be sent friends and family.

I don't mind doing it with some people, but there's a couple gougers on here who are definitely not friendly or family-like.
Old December 8th, 2018, 10:23 AM

x2 with EDZOLZ, I send the part before payment is received, never been burned either. 2nd choice, most of my stuff I have sold has been less than $150.00 and most of the time I just ask them if they are Christians and regularly attend church, leave the amount I would have charged in the offering plate at the church they attend. On a few other occasions, I just ask to mail a check on the high priced stuff and when the check clears I ship-I did however on one occasion never got the check and did not ship. An Chinese proverb: NO TICKIE NO LAUNDRY.
Old December 8th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Rodney

I only will only take money order or PayPal "sending to a friend" as payment when I'm shipping parts. Of course, cash is king when doing business in person. The PayPal "friend" method can not be undone if the buyer wants to scam you with a claim they didn't receive the part. Eric (Jensenracing77) gave excellent advice in a recent post about PayPal scams; he said to always use a tracking # and keep the receipt for future reference. I usually send the buyer the tracking number by email so there is a paper trail of the shipment in case I need to look it up at a later date.
Rodney
Old December 8th, 2018, 10:58 AM

CIFNFA

Cash in fist no fooling around
Old December 8th, 2018, 11:03 AM

Just in addition to the advice about getting a tracking number from the sender. Last year I bought a part off CO and received a tracking number that was only 12 of the 13 digits. The seller insisted that what he provided me was correct, however I know it was missing a number and conveyed that to the seller. He insisted again that it was all he had.
I did get the part and to be honest I knew it was a mistake on his part. Not a big deal for me at the time because I was able to determine the correct tracking number by searching the carrier.
In the future I will not rely on someone else typing in a tracking number onto an email.
I Want to see a photo of the receipt with the tracking number visible.
An easy assurance and I think very reasonable.
Ben
Old December 8th, 2018, 07:10 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies, like the idea of the USPS money orders or the old stand by cash.
Old December 9th, 2018, 03:17 AM
Frank Ignachuck

I've been using Paypal for years with no problems. Last week, however, I bought some parts from Canada and used Western Union at my local Stop and Shop. There was a transaction fee, but they did the conversion, and the cash was in the seller's hands immediately.
Old December 9th, 2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
I've been using Paypal for years with no problems. Last week, however, I bought some parts from Canada and used Western Union at my local Stop and Shop. There was a transaction fee, but they did the conversion, and the cash was in the seller's hands immediately.
Did u get your parts? Western Union is used by more scammers than other forms of payment and should only be used when u personally know the seller.
Old December 9th, 2018, 02:30 PM

As much as Pay Pal just made me mad I have to say that it is for sure the easiest. Now that I know, NEVER take Pay Pal for something you are not shipping. You must also keep a tracking number record. If you don't then all they have to do is say it was never shipped and they get their money back and also keep the parts. With a tracking number you can prove it was shipped and delivered.
Old December 9th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Olds Fever

Personally I prefer USPS money orders... For out of country, I request an International money order from the country's postal service... Never had a problem yet...
Old December 9th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Did u get your parts? Western Union is used by more scammers than other forms of payment and should only be used when u personally know the seller.
I did get the parts. I have been corresponding with the seller for a couple of weeks. He has a few mid fifties Olds and I was satisfied that he knew what he was talking about. If you can't trust an Olds guy, who can you trust?
Old December 11th, 2018, 12:23 PM

I agree that using PayPal is the most convenient and fastest way to make a transaction, but it's the only way I will ever buy parts long distance. I have been using PayPal for going on 20 years now and have never had any problems whatsoever. Others have brought up the probability of having issues or being hacked with PayPal and they are correct. The chances are slim to none. Not sure why everyone sends things "Friends and Family" either. I typically just pay the fee myself and send money to vendor. I want to be as safe as possible when buying parts or anything else for that matter. I've had issues with sending MO, plus it takes forever. IMHO it is THE BEST way to send money.
Old December 11th, 2018, 01:45 PM
MOTORHEAD

Cssh is best.. In person . You see . You like you buy = Handshake

Long distance for me a NO PAYPAL user is a trial in patience for one and all. A legit postal money order speeds up things. Otherwise a personal check next best
I am done accepting other money orders and cashiers checks as scam artist love to use those

Old December 11th, 2018, 03:43 PM

Buying and selling online can be risky. But for the most part I've been fortunate. Ask for postal money orders or PayPal. But when using PayPal you really want your buyer to send the funds using the family and friends option. Keep in mind the true cost of shipping. The boxes and bubble wrap cost money. FedEx shipping is terrible. They are always breaking my stuff. And if something gets damaged do not refund any money until you get your insurance claim handled. I once had FedEx send the funds to the buyer even though the were supposed to send it to me. And no! I didn't get m money back. LOL.

Buying and selling on this site is fairly safe. Just make sure you are being and selling with long term members. Check their feedback too. Just to make sure.

Ebay is where you want to sell the remaining stuff you have. Between eBay fees and PayPal fees you are going to be losing money. And don't forget PayPal will hold your funds for a couple of weeks after the sell.
Old December 12th, 2018, 05:41 AM

I have been doing this for many years. I am by no means perfect but try to treat others like I would want to be. Have made mistakes and been taken too. I think the best advise is use what you are comfortable with. Money order gets you the money with no chance of it being taken away later. Same with Paypal friends and family. I often send people more than they bought, mainly because we usually have a phone conversation and I find they need something I have that is not included but would be easy to include and helps them out. The more pictures the better always. Encourage them to ask questions. Determine the return or no return "as is" policy up front. I write down each deal and notes about it in a spiral notebook and keep it. Often I get inquiries and then a call back in a few weeks when they come up with the money. I am not doing the parts stuff as much anymore mostly due to health issues. I have meet some great folks on this site you will find mostly the same. There are a few who are not "customer friendly" but as mentioned before those are rare and tend to weed themselves out. Within various years there are many here who specialize in certain models or parts. Ebay works but is expensive. Once established your money is okay and not held. I recommend if you use paypal to use friends and family and I also recommend a separate bank account just for that. Shipping is getting expensive. You will find now and then that fedex if you open an account with them can be cheaper than USPS. But, the priority mail if it fits it ships boxes area good value.

A quick word of advise, some people want "New Old Stock, N.O.S." quality parts but are buying 50 year old used parts. Be up front about the age and condition. I think a few examples of ridiculous customer complains are as follows: after two years I had a guy call me on a "core" engine I sold him and he wanted to complain about it now that he took it apart and found water and rust in a cylinder. Come to find out it sat outside for the two years since he purchased it. I was surprised it was only one cylinder. The other one was a guy who bought a fender that looked very good and was also obviously repainted. It was a 50 year old fender, he had it media blasted and found some pitting on the lower outer section after it was media blasted. Nothing inside and no rust through. Not sure what you say to someone like that. So just a few examples of what you can run into. Most used parts are driver grade on the best side. I mean lets face it we are dealing with cars that are generally 45-55 years old. The parts are used and even new were not perfect. They were all production. So just a few pointers.

Anyway just my 2 cents
Larry
Old December 12th, 2018, 03:53 PM

I like paying normal paypal when I buy stuff. I'll get the fees for the guy if he is concerned on them. I'll do friends and family when I know someone, but people should not be asking for that and then being gougers on prices...remember, they're your friends, see?
I would pay MO with someone I knew, but probably not otherwise. A lot of talk in this thread about protection for me, but not for thee. I do personal check, and I don't care if you want to hold the stuff till it clears.

Cash and a pistol, in person.
Old December 12th, 2018, 05:15 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Koda
I like paying normal paypal when I buy stuff. I'll get the fees for the guy if he is concerned on them. I'll do friends and family when I know someone, but people should not be asking for that and then being gougers on prices...remember, they're your friends, see?
I would pay MO with someone I knew, but probably not otherwise. A lot of talk in this thread about protection for me, but not for thee. I do personal check, and I don't care if you want to hold the stuff till it clears.

Cash and a pistol, in person.
In minnesota it is "open carry" So I do gun deals outside on the patio for all to see... cash only
Most oldsmobile parts sales are done in the same way.

Last edited by 11971four4two; December 12th, 2018 at 05:56 PM.