The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

After shaves and colognes

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2018, 06:06 PM
Oldsdruid

After shaves and colognes

I'll admit I'm oldschool when it comes to fragrances. I still believe there's "something about an Aqua Velva man" and use it often, though I hated when they put it in a plastic bottle..

I also keep Gillette Sport, Brut, Pinaud Clubman, and British Sterling in the cabinet, and since I've gotten into safety razor wet shaving, I've found three other exceptional aftershaves: Fine, Lucky Tiger and Brickell. The Fine and Lucky Tiger have light citrus fragrance and the Brickell scent can best be described as "bourbon *****"- bourbon, mint and chocolate.

None of these fragrances are expensive (under $20 for the most expensive, Brickell) but they're all nice manly scents and I often get compliments. Provided I let anyone get close enough to smell, that is!

What do the rest of y'all use and like?

If I could just get me teenage nephews to throw away their AXE body spray... lordamercy that is some overpowering stuff.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Right Guard...
Old November 23rd, 2018, 07:59 PM
same but different

When I grew up, Brute and Old English were often found in my gifts. Dad always had Old spice as a third choice.
I think I've owned one bottle of Polo in my life.
I still like Stetson and still have a little bottle. Can't remember last time I used it.
Currently I leave the scent chase to my wife and sister in law. I think its Lucky...something and something...21.. er whatever.

I got burned out on Axe too, Just too much of it in and around the work place and everywhere else.
Old November 24th, 2018, 07:08 AM

Back in the 60's I used Jade East. The staff that they sell now is not the same formula so I quit using that. My wife still likes Old Spice, but only the spritzer stuff, so I use that now.
Old November 24th, 2018, 07:27 AM

I carry a small flask of diesel fuel in my truck, a few drops behind the ears mask any unwanted female odors
Old November 24th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Kyle

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I carry a small flask of diesel fuel in my truck, a few drops behind the ears mask any unwanted female odors
That's really funny!
Old November 24th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Kyle

I use Old Spice, the deodorant is very soft and comfortable. Scent is great too! Whenever I go out though, I use Calvin Klein Aqua.
Old November 24th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Hookers under Hood

The first thing I do in the mornin' is hit my men's room, do my business, fire up the electric shaver then shower. Towel dry- a little hair glue, turn the light out and off to work I go with the eau' de toilet scent.
I'n my teenage years it was Polo 'n' old #7 Jacker Daniels after 10pm.
I need to order a flask from Jamesbo haha.

Eric
Old November 24th, 2018, 01:32 PM

Old Spice
Old November 24th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Bfg

No deodorant or aftershave for me, my wife likes the beastly scent!
Old November 24th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Lansing built

Colognes my go to's are different from each other. I personally like Davidorfs "cool water" for sweet/fresh type scent. Or if you go for the he-man type spice then I would recommend Polo's "safari" spicy/ sweet. Or the lighter side Calvin Klein's "escape for men" flowery/sweet

Pat
Old November 24th, 2018, 08:40 PM

Stetson,although the wife don't like it, brut is the usual to match the deodorant. my youngest son 37, and still living here uses axe. I agree overpowering
Old November 25th, 2018, 04:53 AM
Bfg

Back in my younger days it was Hai Karate, I had to fight off all the chicks that attacked me! They need to develop a cologne that is more gender neutral.
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:42 AM

Brut 1/2 oz. I have about 30 of these and seldom use it anymore. Anybody want some?
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:52 AM

brut

brut 1/2 oz.
Old November 25th, 2018, 12:14 PM
72Cutlass S

I forgot about hai karate. Lol
Old November 26th, 2018, 05:03 PM

Brut Man here, the Wife likes it also.
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:31 PM

If i use anything its only Aramis, since i was 25.
Old November 27th, 2018, 07:02 AM

Old Spice. None of that Endurance junk either.

Occasionally I will use Polo Black if my wife and I are on a date or something.
Old November 27th, 2018, 01:46 PM

You guys have it easy. I'm divorced and women these days like the guys that wear the expensive stuff. I usually buy the cologne that I like but I do remember in my earlier years before all of this cologne hype, it was usually old spice or canoe.
Old November 27th, 2018, 03:39 PM

Old Spice something islandy shampoo, high endurance body wash, red zone deodorant, like Swagger or Spring Fresh. I do have a jar of Aqua Velva around. I do have some cologne bottles....somewhere....never used.
Old November 28th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Oldsdruid

My own observation about the modern "expensive stuff" is that a lot of it smells like a tomcat has marked his turf- like cat ****, to be blunt. I was in line at Biscuitville couple weeks ago and some young buck smelled like he had actually bathed in whatever cologne he used, and it had that cat-**** smell to it. I finally had to go outside as it was nauseating me. Rough stuff.

A lot of the old standbys have changed the original formulas. I swear Old Spice has, since it doesn't smell quite like it did before they went to plastic bottles. Maybe the plastic's corrupting it.
Old November 28th, 2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
My own observation about the modern "expensive stuff" is that a lot of it smells like a tomcat has marked his turf- like cat ****, to be blunt. I was in line at Biscuitville couple weeks ago and some young buck smelled like he had actually bathed in whatever cologne he used, and it had that cat-**** smell to it. I finally had to go outside as it was nauseating me. Rough stuff.

A lot of the old standbys have changed the original formulas. I swear Old Spice has, since it doesn't smell quite like it did before they went to plastic bottles. Maybe the plastic's corrupting it.
Yes the colognes now nowadays are much stronger but last a lot less...who knows maybe they put more alcohol and less oils. I can agree with you though that there are some out there that are nauseating. Normally I spray once or twice but the scent is usually faint since I put it on before I put on my shirt.
Old November 28th, 2018, 01:31 PM

Obsession KC...faint but lasts long.
Old November 24th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Oldsdruid

I've found some more really nice aftershaves. Strike Gold Shaving out of GA has some fragrances named after US Presidents, and I find three are VERY MUCH to my taste. Nixon (citrusy), Ike (best described as tobacco, bourbon and mint) and Kennedy. Ike and Kennedy especially just SMELL like success to me. West Coast Shaving usually has them in stock. Wet Shaving Products Gaelic Tweed is also delicious as well as Fine Accoutrements Italian Citrus.

All those years I wasted using Gillette Good News razors and can shaving cream. I once read one quality of a gentleman is that he makes a ritual out of shaving, and I am now trying to live up to that. Hands aren't steady enough to try a straight razor, but I sure like my collection of Gillette butterfly head safety razors and Schick Injectors.
Old November 24th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Frank Ignachuck

You just resurrected a year old thread and we can still smell it!
Old November 24th, 2019, 07:36 PM

I've gone to safety razors. Gillette can kiss my white ***, although I will take my last one of theirs travelling; not buying more though.

I have seen ads for Dr. Squatch on facebook, may go to them. Been rocking No Shave November, but I may be fat enough to not need my winter beard this year.

The best advice I have heard for straight razors is that they are not meant for use on yourself, and are for barbers and similar.
Old November 24th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I've found some more really nice aftershaves. Strike Gold Shaving out of GA has some fragrances named after US Presidents, and I find three are VERY MUCH to my taste. Nixon (citrusy), Ike (best described as tobacco, bourbon and mint) and Kennedy. Ike and Kennedy especially just SMELL like success to me. West Coast Shaving usually has them in stock. Wet Shaving Products Gaelic Tweed is also delicious as well as Fine Accoutrements Italian Citrus.

All those years I wasted using Gillette Good News razors and can shaving cream. I once read one quality of a gentleman is that he makes a ritual out of shaving, and I am now trying to live up to that. Hands aren't steady enough to try a straight razor, but I sure like my collection of Gillette butterfly head safety razors and Schick Injectors.
Smells like a good night at the bar to me... Eat an orange, smoke a cigar, a couple of shots and a breath mint.
Old November 26th, 2019, 04:51 AM

My Dad always used Old Spice and I love the smell but don't use it just because it seems to be "his" scent. I am not fussy. I usually buy whatever is cheapest. I had been using a knock off of that green stuff- can't think of the name, but yesterday I went to Meijer and couldn't find it so I bought some Aqua Velva. I like the smell but the reason I use aftershave is, years ago my Dad said , you need to use it to help close your pores/sanitize you face--?? I dunno, Anyway shaving doesn't seem completed until I splash some on.
Old November 26th, 2019, 06:01 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Old November 28th, 2019, 08:16 AM

Well I a'm a Old Spice guy but don't by stock in the company on my recommendation. The bottle in my cabinet is probably old enough to vote! And because it's Santa Clause season I'm in full dress white beard, goes well with a red black or white flat hats. Matches my red convertibles.Now if it would stop raining/ snowing I would be ready to take the Grand Kids caroling..... Tedd
Old November 28th, 2019, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Smells like a good night at the bar to me... Eat an orange, smoke a cigar, a couple of shots and a breath mint.
and a dab of "diesel" behind each ear lobe for when "up close and personal" begins.
Old November 28th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Oldsdruid

Gillette hasn't made a safety razor since the 70s so I don't mind using their older stuff, but I won't use their new mess. When they started making multiple-blade razors exclusively they sold the double-edge blade making machinery to several countries, so if you find DE blades at, say CVS or Walgreens and marked made in Israel, Russia or Egypt, odds are good they were made on original Gillette tooling.