The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Life obeservation 21223

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Life obeservation 21223

You never know how much we depend on the internet until you don't have it. Spent almost 3 weeks arguing with Windstream that there was internet in the area where our new house is. I told them the house across the street has it... therefore my house should be able to have it also. Apparently logic does not work well with major companies! Many phone calls, and many pissed off supervisors later, we now have internet.

We have something new that's called fixed wireless internet. No cables to the house, it has an antenna mounted on the roof pointing to a tower on top of the hill (almost a mountain) in front of the house that is connected to a receiver through cat 5 phone cable that's also a wifi router. Have a solid 50mbps on wifi.

Old November 17th, 2018, 07:48 AM

I can relate, except the patience part.My cellphone took a dump this morning but it shouldn't matter because the cell tower I use has burnt up and I have no signal anyway.I need to talk to Hues Net about a problem and figure out a bill I need to pay but I need to be on the phone and the computer at the same time. Ain't electronics neat?......Tedd
Old November 17th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Its like when you call the internet provider to notify them its not working at your house and the phone message refers your to an internet site to troubleshoot.
Old November 17th, 2018, 11:42 AM

I am an "old crumudgeon" who does not have a cell phone. A while back both our landline and internet went out. There was no way I could either call or contact AT&T. I walked to a nearby switching station (remember those) building and after repeated attempts got someone to come to the door so I could explain my predicament. The person was more than a bit leery of me as the building house a secure facility and is not open to the public.

Within an hour I had 4 service techs and a supervisor at my residence!
Old November 17th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Internet is one of those things that the laws have not caught up to. They should not be able to deny service, or discriminate politically. Eric, you have "water tower wireless" or "hick net"
Old November 17th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Hell what ever it is, its better than Windstreams rural cable plans @ 5-10mbps. I understand they are also experimenting with 5G systems which would be the next upgrade. At&t is using a 4g phone based service as a mobile hotspot, but its way more expensive $200 in equipment and its a metered setup.

I thought Mayberry was limited on services until I moved here. Did not give any thought to internet before buying this house. Here's a link:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...ss-deployments
Old November 18th, 2018, 04:17 AM

Glad you got internet access Eric. Rural OK has some pretty isolated areas where cell service / internet are non existent. Sometimes I think I should get rid of my cell and go back to a landline. Then I couldn't watch car videos on YouTube at work though.