The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Frustration kicking in time for a CL motivational boost

Old October 6th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Frustration kicking in time for a CL motivational boost

Been a rough year. Turned 50 and outlook on life is changing. I see my life as 2/3's over and still no progress on a 30 year 442 project. Lost my Dad last October, but it was expected. What wasn't was losing 4 friends, 3 of which I knew for close to 45 years. Last guy did 2 tours in the middle east and developed brain cancer. 48 years old. The mind starts to wander off with that much loss. The 442 needs major reconstruction due to an amateur hanging a rear quarter for me 10 years ago, but my friend with the body shop was the 3rd of 4 to pass. So I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle that. The Cutlass has been down since Gettysburg, broke the #4 exhaust rocker and bent the intake rod on the way back. Last few weeks I seriously put some thought into parting the 442. It kills me because it's #'s matching and I have most of the parts to get it back together. Mostly interior is what I'm lacking. I'd never get my # they way it is so parting was the option.

Today I finally got a chance to pull the intake and got a little revival of why I do this. That story is on "What Have You Done To Your Oldsmobile Today?"
It's been frustrating, I've been working nearly 80 hours plus a week for the last 3 months, dealing with another friend's loss and no time to work on the car. I share my friends garage for the car work and he's never around anymore. His Buick is there but at a stand still. Had to move the cars around last week and today finally got back in the swing of things. Felt good to turn a few wrenches and I'm motivated to get this Cutlass done and finally tackle a long laundry list, some very time consuming projects. Still thinking about what to do with the 442. It's been 30 years since I first started disassembly and every time I think I'm moving forward something sets me back 10 steps. Since I'm 50 now I'm thinking "I've gotten nowhere in 30 years, where am I going to be in 10". Never got the chance to set up my own garage the way I wanted and I somewhat set up my friends but it's not mine and he's rarely there anymore. By the time I move and finally have space to build what I want I may be to old and not able to do this anymore.

Anyway that's the short of it. My advice to others has always been "We don't do this out of necessity and we don't do it for financial gain", so I guess it's time I take my own advice. Heading to work now for the night shift, talk type more later.
Old October 6th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Old School Olds

Hank in there Zeeke. I'll be 56 in a few days and have 2 442's down with little done to them as well. Don't give up!
Old October 6th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Olds Fever

Life definitely has its challenges... It sounds like you are dealing with more then your fair share in a very short time frame... I grew up in the automotive hobby very young and as a result developed friendships with people much older them myself and all those people have since passed, so I know where you're coming from... I was fortunately able to developed new friendships/contacts to help continue my efforts and you most likely will be able to do the same, AFTER ALL YOU ARE ONLY 50, and could have another good 50 years ahead... Don't give up on the 442 just yet... I purchased a 1967 442 W30 more then 30 years ago and it has been in storage since that time... It has currently been sitting in the corner of my newest shop for the past 18 years waiting to be restored... I figure I will get to it in the second half of my lifetime... Good luck with your future endeavors...
Old October 6th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Always room for one more

I used to think sort of the same way you are. I'm 51 and haven't done near the things automobile-wise I wanted/want to. Then I heard someone on the radio talking about Truett Cathy. He invented the Chik-Fil-A restaurant(chicken sandwich). You might not have them in New York. Anyway, it's an institution in the south. He started the place when he was 48 years old. Lived to be I think 96. Changed my way of thinking. I now plan on lots of great things in the next 51 years.

There are lots of projects sitting around here in various levels of incompleteness. I don't worry about it. I just like having them. If they get done, terrific, if they don't, well, who cares. The thinking about them keeps me going and I do tinker on them.
Old October 7th, 2018, 07:02 AM

Thanks guys. Slantflat not sure about New York yet but I've been to one in CT. My biggest challenge is where I live. I wanted to get north of the city limits where I could have some property and build a bigger garage and still tell myself "one day I'll be set up". My Dad told my brother once "live where your wife want to live", so I took that advise even though I never wanted to live here.

Working on the Cutlass yesterday definitely revived me. We'll see how that goes.
Old October 7th, 2018, 11:03 AM

My opinion is to push through it and keep positive thinking. Look at the plus's. I always said the only thing worse than lots of work is no work. Your making "hay" because the sun is shining. That's a major plus. A good job is the best social program. My Children and others will say things like you do, (I kind of tell like it is) I tell them, "the struggle of life is the best times" when you get older and recollect on your life. Having the funds to take care of your family and have extra money to own your hobby cars is another major plus. I don't want to write a book here so just try to be "the glass is half full guy." I always felt my 50s were the best decade of my life and my 60s are almost as good. I retired at 62 and I'm 68 and I still don't work on my cars as much as I like due to Children, Grand kids and helping friends. I never say no to any of them and when the say "are you sure you can do xxxx" as I turn around from going to the swap meet saying, "yes, I'm retired I don't have anything to do." Ha ha
My Children have mentioned that I should "downsize" my cars. I tell them if I die, call an auctioneer or a crusher, problem solved.
Old October 7th, 2018, 11:38 AM

I'm 56 ! I have worked on cars since I was 6 years old, helping my dad put bolts in small places his hands could not reach. I'm working on my 70 cutlass , I have had this car 2 years now, I haven't started the motor yet, and there is no interior, If it takes me 40 more years to get it done, I don't care, I love just going out and working on cars, it makes me feel good. I have no schedule to keep out there, no one is bitchin when you going to get that car done. Just me wrench'n , may be some friend will drop by and may be not, I will stop working to shoot the shi* with them. When I retire , you will find me out there, Like you said, you don't work on cars for the money, I myself do it for ME ! So don't give up on you or the car, It's life, we all go through it at one time or another. I too have lost friends and my Brother. My brother and I worked on his 71 skylark for three years off and on, we got it done, he showed it for two years , then he passed away, his wife gave me the Buick ( it's in my garage ) I think of him everytime I get it out and drive it.

Attached Images
Old October 7th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Okay, I think will top all your stories. I am 72 and have a 57 Chevy that I have had for 50 years. I will start on it next year. I never got the place in the country where I could build a shop to work in. I sacrificed that to live on the lake. I have a large two car garage which is a side entry on the front of the house meaning I can leave nothing in the driveway. My 54 Olds has to stay in one side. I finally have my garage equipped like it need to be with a 60 gallon air compressor, mig and oxy/acetylene welders and a plazma cutter. In addition I have a floor drill press, paint guns, grinders and all the hand tools you can think of. We have lived in our house 20 years and I just finished my garage. It if not pretty with lots of shelving units and no wasted space. It is going to be a challenge restoring a car in this space. I want to be able to drive the car for several years. Considering I will be almost 73 when I get started and it will take me two years if I am lucky I will be 75 when it is done. I hope my left leg and hip holds out so I can use a clutch and shift a 4 speed. Hang in there brother.
Old October 7th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Okay, I think will top all your stories. I am 72 and have a 57 Chevy that I have had for 50 years. I will start on it next year. I never got the place in the country where I could build a shop to work in. I sacrificed that to live on the lake. I have a large two car garage which is a side entry on the front of the house meaning I can leave nothing in the driveway. My 54 Olds has to stay in one side. I finally have my garage equipped like it need to be with a 60 gallon air compressor, mig and oxy/acetylene welders and a plazma cutter. In addition I have a floor drill press, paint guns, grinders and all the hand tools you can think of. We have lived in our house 20 years and I just finished my garage. It if not pretty with lots of shelving units and no wasted space. It is going to be a challenge restoring a car in this space. I want to be able to drive the car for several years. Considering I will be almost 73 when I get started and it will take me two years if I am lucky I will be 75 when it is done. I hope my left leg and hip holds out so I can use a clutch and shift a 4 speed. Hang in there brother.
Good for you, I hope I will still be working on cars at that age too.
Old October 7th, 2018, 03:38 PM

Hey Zeeke, sorry to hear about your recent loss of friends and your Dad. I am now 62, I retired at 60 and am very fortunate. My point is I remember turning 50 and was really bummed, 40 didn't bother me but 50 was tough, I remember my older friends telling me I was still a baby... Funny thing is now i feel that 50 is young. Anyway after I retired everything changed, now I have time to work on my projects. And you will too. You have some of your best years ahead of you.
Old October 7th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Thanks again guys and Greg that's exactly what I was feeling. 40 meant nothing 50 well that's different. As we've all talked others off the ledge at times, sometimes we are the ones on the ledge. Keep the stories coming. Love hearing all of them.

Redoldsman I spent my life, since about 17, collecting the equipment to one day be able to restore cars, most of it I have. I'd love to get some of the speciality tools tha factory had if I didn't miss that boat but I'm in pretty good shape. And I too have the dream of the workshop. Had kids late in life so I'm guessing college is going to be my 50X50 2 story workshop payment. Fortunately my friend is generous enough to let me set up shop at his garage, but it's still not mine. Told him about the post I put out and he's been saying the same things you guys are.
Old October 7th, 2018, 05:22 PM

zeeke, wanted to chime in... I am now 59 and have had several friends and family to pass too, I am sorry for your loss.

When I turned 50, I was a little bummed and mentioned something to my wife about it (she is a blessing). She said "Look at it this way, your life is half over. Get started on the second half of your life and enjoy it more than the first half." I said I can do that and have. Since then, I have been looking at all I have instead of what I don't have or haven't done in life. I don't have a lot of money to spend though I've worked my share of 80+ hour weeks for years on various shifts. It does wear thin. Like you, I have collected tools and knowledge since my teens to work on and restore these magnificent vehicles. I do have about 20+ projects to fix including my first car I got when I was 17 (Kinda in the same boat as redoldsman, a 57 Chevy Belair). I haven't driven it in 35 years nor started on it yet. I hope to start/finish it over the next few years but if I don't and/or don't get the other 20 projects done, that will be alright too (I've just made sure the wife knows where all of the titles are). It has been said before, very few people look back on their life and say, "I really wish I could have spent more time at work and less at home"... Another old saying is "You can work to live or live to work." I still need to work but work to live and live to enjoy the life I have left.

I wish you were a little closer to me as maybe I could help you with the quarter panel, but I'm sure you will find someone capable of doing it closer to you. Good luck and stay positive!
Old October 7th, 2018, 07:02 PM

Damn, you guys make me feel old. I turned 74 in September and have my sons 67 F85 post I'm working on and my 46 Ford street rod with 330 Olds power. I'm starting to slow down but still get a good three or four hours a day in.
Old October 7th, 2018, 08:37 PM

I know someone who has all of us beat. Clint Eastwood turned 88 on May 31, and he is still making movies. He was in our city for a week or so over the summer shooting scenes for his latest, and he was kind and generous to everyone he met. Took photos with all the employees of every restaurant he ate at. He is a very nice guy and a living legend.

Old October 9th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by rickman
zeeke, wanted to chime in... I am now 59 and have had several friends and family to pass too, I am sorry for your loss.

Another old saying is "You can work to live or live to work." I still need to work but work to live and live to enjoy the life I have left.

I wish you were a little closer to me as maybe I could help you with the quarter panel, but I'm sure you will find someone capable of doing it closer to you. Good luck and stay positive!
NC is one of the places I'm strongly considering, but I'm about 10 years out from that. Right now work is all I can do. High taxes on Long Island and young kids. Wife doesn't get the concept of a budget so I cut her off of my OT checks. Now when I do a 60 to 80 hrs cycle I put a small chunk in the bank. Cost of living in this county is insanely high. Born and raised in NY and I can't wait to leave. Have many siblings but my youngest is the smartest, moved to Madison, WI years ago and never looked back.

Gentleman keep them coming. Preaching to the choir assures me we are all singing the same tune. Thanks again.

Just watched the greatest western of all times last night for the... I don't know 1000th time. The Outlaw Josey Whales. What a great flick. That's one of those can't pass this one movies like the Blues Bros., Animal House, Slap Shot. Definitely not in that genre or class but if I'm flippin' channels and one of these is on, pull the shoot and chock the wheels.

Last edited by zeeke; October 9th, 2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old October 9th, 2018, 09:42 AM
same but different

"Singing the same tune".

As I was reading this, I was considering all the similar feelings I have about this subject. I'm going agree, you're not alone. But part of me says it doesn't have to be this way and yet thats easier to say than do. Lot of things make it out to be harder or more challenging. I don't have a cure for that but will admit to still having passion for my hobby at 51. There are lot of things that pull you away even when you make plans. I'm hopeful it will all come together still not knowing what the last ingredient is to full fill this. Personally I know I can't multi task or manage my time like I used too.

My biggest complaint used to be, "Ive got the time, I don't have the money" and vice versa. I basically have both now but not the zest or motivation. My last example for this, I purchased some 15" wheels to replace my 14", 17 year old tires this past spring. I never thought I wouldn't have them refinished and mounted by now. I tell myself it will fall into place. Being semi-retired, its pretty easy to plop on the couch and watch a good movie or play by guitar. I guess my car hobby is second fiddle and thats not a bad place to be.