The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

ornamental chili peppers

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2018, 08:10 AM

ornamental chili peppers

Since this is general discussion, anybody here ever make a vinegar pepper sauce using yellow ornamental peppers? Or any peppers for that matter. My wife has a pepper plant loaded with thumb size yellow peppers. Hot as blazes but would make great vinegar pepper sauce. Looking for a receipe to mix up for this sauce. Do not want to blend them but leave them whole.
Old October 5th, 2018, 09:16 AM

I have done this in the past with great results. If you want to keep the peppers whole then really your are just pickling them in a brine. The vinegar brine will take on the heat of the peppers as they soften. Usually within a few weeks. This year I made two different hot pepper sauces using Ghost Peppers also known as Bhut Jolokia peppers (super HOT)
If you do blend your peppers with vinegar the pepper pulp will settle in the bottom of your sauce bottle. You will want to use Xantham as an ingredient to keep the pepper pulp suspended. It gives the sauce whats called a sheer factor. The sauce will look thicker in the bottle but will flow freely.
To make a thicker sauce that has more of a substantive texture or simply put, thicker, add carrots. They add not only a nice flavor but are also good for sweetness.
Good luck, I love a hot sauce, and don't forget the wear gloves when handling hot peppers.
Ben
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Administrator

I moved your post to the Clubhouse. Make sure your temperature is adequate for thickness of the ingredients to prevent any in jar biological growth and to ensure a vacuum on the canning jar.
Old October 5th, 2018, 12:53 PM
same but different

I've always wanted to do this. I grow a variety of peppers every year...well the ones you can eat without calling the fire department.

I would want to sweeten it up and maybe call it a relish or sweet salsa. Good luck with your plans.
Old October 5th, 2018, 01:17 PM

Another thing to do with hot peppers is to infuse them into olive oil or even spirits such as vodka. My neighbor really liked the habanero vodka I made a couple seasons ago. Jalapeno infused tequila makes for margaritas with an extra kick.

Last edited by Fun71; October 5th, 2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 6th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Oldsdruid

I didn't inherit my Grandma's green thumb, but she had a taste for hot and grew several varieties of hot pepper. There was one in particular, DK what it was called but was a small thin chile, about 2" long and big around as a pencil and ranged in color from pale yellow thru green and deep red. She would slice those into 1/16" rings and dump them in a pint jar of White House Apple Cider Vinegar and a few days later, you had the best table seasoning ever. Real good on pintos, cabbage and black-eyed peas. It honestly never lasted long enough to go bad. She'd just make up a new jar every couple weeks long as the peppers were in season.
Old October 6th, 2018, 09:21 PM

That type of pepper sauce is what I'm talking about. I'll try this method. My peppers are about 3/4 inch around and maybe 1 1/2 inches long. Pale green to yellow to orange and killer hot.
Old October 12th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Oldsdruid

I think I have met my match in hot. Food Lion has some new Del Monte dill pickle chips so I hadda try them! The Jalapeno Lime flavor was delicious so I tried the Ghost Pepper variety this week. I like hot (inherited that from Gramma Mildred), but a couple of those at a time is all I can handle. Hot, damn hot and hot as hell!
Old October 12th, 2018, 12:00 PM

I know my limitations. My coworker brought in peppers. I took some to my friends, and moved them with needlenose pliers and gloves.
Old October 12th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Oldsdruid

Way back when I was still working shift work, all of us on crew liked hot peppers and hot sauce. The NC State Fairgrounds hosted a weekend flea market when the fair wasn't running and there was a guy there who had dozens of hot sauces. One of our guys went every weekend he had off and would bring back something new every time.

He got one called "Dave's Insanity Sauce" which had a warning- one drop only in a bowl of soup or chili. Naturally one of our young badasses had to test it, and found three drops in soup made it too hot for even him to eat.

The bottle was on the table and the guy who brought it says, "I better put this stuff up before somebody hurts their self with it". He put the top on the bottle and didn't wipe it off, meaning he got the stuff on his fingers. Then the dumbass goes to take a leak and you can guess what happened next!

He came out the restroom, red in the face, sweating and walking bowlegged, about to pass out. He had got that hot sauce all over his junk and it was burning him up, and when he tried to wash it off it just smeared. I remember the shift foreman said "we're gonna have to take him to the ER at 3 in the morning and try to explain what he's done to himself!"

But I still love hot. You just have to know limitations and respect what you're dealing with. And I think Bhut Jolokia may be where I have to draw the line!