The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

New OldsmobileCentral.com

Old June 13th, 2018, 04:34 AM
Runner

New OldsmobileCentral.com

Mods, if cross promotion is not allowed, please go ahead and remove this post.

For those that don't know, I'm a relatively young Olds owner. To try to contribute to the Oldsmobile community, I built a website about 5 years ago to help dedicated to help people find, buy, sell Oldsmobiles. I am proud to say that I finally had time to launch a new version of it that is faster, mobile friendly, and has a few new tricks under the hood. It was almost like upgrading from a 350 to a 455.

Think link is https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/
Some of the highlighted new features are:
  • Mobile friendly finally. Should be a little easier to navigate on phones and tablets.
  • Faster... much faster.
  • No more third part ad commenting system. Everything is built in house (or garage)
  • No refresh on posting replies or comments
  • More detailed voting/ranking system on ads. You can now rate the condition, rarity, and price of cars posted on ads. This data will be used to help calculated more fair price on cars and estimates.

I do want to mention that it was a long project and getting free time was difficult. Some features are not fully developed and some code is still not up to my standards. If I didn't publish it now, it could have been another year before I felt it was ready. With that being said, if you find issues or have questions, let me know and I'll try to get to them as fast as possible.

I hope my site can help others just like I know CO does.
Thanks
Old June 13th, 2018, 05:34 AM

Jofroi,

Thanks for doing this for all of us. It's a great site and I really enjoy visiting it
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:11 AM

My only complaint with the old site was the old posts still up, many of them and the car is no longer available.
Old June 13th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
My only complaint with the old site was the old posts still up, many of them and the car is no longer available.
This is probably the most debated topic I've heard. In this design, tried to make it more clear how to view just the active ads (there is an active add option on the "for sale" menu; https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/se...hp?active=true)

Ultimately, there are a few reasons why expired ads stay posted.
  1. To give users an idea of what has been on the market. This builds a history of when and where cars have been on the market.
  2. Get data. This enables me to run metrics on average prices, typical prices, etc.

I might flip the option, where it defaults to only show active ads and uses need to check the box to show older ads.
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:41 PM

Great site. Nice work.
Matt
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Don't tell anyone but... I sneak over there every now and then to see whats for sale. I enjoy your site.