The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Glue-on side trim

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2018, 09:34 AM
Always room for one more

Glue-on side trim

Hi everyone.

This pertains to the side trim on my 90 Chevy G20, but I'm sure the 80s and 90s Oldsmobiles had similar stuff.

My van is a Beauville and has this gaudy thick, vinyl-like plastic trim running down both sides. One piece has fallen off and left two tracks of some type of glue strip. I'd like to take the rest of the trim off.

What takes this glue strip off and what on earth is it? It doesn't come off for love nor money. I don't want to damage the paint underneath it, but chiseling it seems to be the only other option.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Is it glue or tape? WD40 is good at removing glue and there are also rubber wheels that can be attached to a grinder that body shops use to remove decals.
Old June 4th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Always room for one more

It looks kind of like it's a two sided tape, put on the trim and then put on the vehicle. If it only held on the trim as well as it holds to the side. I see a lot of these vans with the side trim flapping in the breeze.
Old June 4th, 2018, 06:37 AM

Have you tried a heat gun? I removed the dealer decal from my Kia Sorento with one of my wife's hair driers and some dental floss. You just heat up the adhesive or tape and pull the dental floss underneath the decal/trim to release it from the car. Then you can use a rubber wheel, WD40 or Goo-off to get the adhesive off the paint.