The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I'm surprised it took this long

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2018, 07:58 AM

I'm surprised it took this long

Canon shutters 80-year history of film cameras

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004478492

I was born and raised on film cameras including all the various cheap-o Kodak Instamatics and such that were so popular in the '70s. But I haven't used a film camera in 20 years, and I can't imagine why I ever would. Is there anything that film does better than digital? I'd like to hear it. I'm not talking about things like "the images are warmer" or stuff like that which is totally subjective and which I think is nonsense. You can do so much with digital image editing software that you can make images as cold or as warm or as whatever as you like.

The biggest advantage is no more film cost and no more developing cost. You go on vacation, take 5000 photos, and keep the 50 or so that you like. You could never do something like that with film.

I always remember back in 2002, when the oldest of my children was getting his high school yearbook photo taken. We went to a well-known, old-line local photography studio, and I was surprised to discover that, even then, that shop had gone totally digital. I asked the owner about that, figuring that shops like that would have hung on to film as long as possible for one reason or another.

He said no way. They embraced digital the moment it came out because it is so easy to edit the images to remove any artifacts or defects, including warts or moles on the people's faces. But the biggest advantage of all is the ability to see the images instantly. No more taking dozens of photos with film, whether it be for something like this or for a wedding or whatever, and then having the customer have to return to the shop a week later to choose photos. The photos can be seen instantly, and the customer can choose what they want immediately.
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:01 AM
72 Olds CS

Maybe there was enough market w old timers hanging on to their film gear...you know kind of like the guys that like their old cars!
Old May 31st, 2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Maybe there was enough market w old timers hanging on to their film gear
Perhaps, but even old timers aren't foolish with their money. I recall that a 36-exposure roll of Fuji or Kodak color film cost about $5 or $6 the last time I bought one. Developing was another $10 or $11 at the local drugstore or supermarket, where they all used to have a film drop-off point. $15 to $20 or whatever per 36 pictures is a lot of money in comparison to digital, which is zero until and unless you decide to print something out, and even the die-est of the die-hards, I think, would quickly realize how much money they could save and how many more photos they could take using a digital camera.

When's the last time you saw one of these?

If they exist at all any more, they most likely look like this.

Old May 31st, 2018, 10:23 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I used Nikon growing up. Did alot of wildlife photography. Shot Kodachrome 64(remember the song). Haven't touched them in years.
From what I know the only people using film are doing mostly black and white. They enjoy darkroom work. Like wrenching on a car.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
From what I know the only people using film are doing mostly black and white. They enjoy darkroom work.
Good point. Photography as an art form still uses film.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:49 AM

This is interesting. I was trying to think of a reason to continue to use film instead of digital photography. This is "old school" but I bet the pictures it took were some of the best in the world.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...rial-hycon-73b
Old May 31st, 2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Perhaps, but even old timers aren't foolish with their money. I recall that a 36-exposure roll of Fuji or Kodak color film cost about $5 or $6 the last time I bought one. Developing was another $10 or $11 at the local drugstore or supermarket, where they all used to have a film drop-off point. $15 to $20 or whatever per 36 pictures is a lot of money in comparison to digital, which is zero until and unless you decide to print something out, and even the die-est of the die-hards, I think, would quickly realize how much money they could save and how many more photos they could take using a digital camera.

When's the last time you saw one of these?

If they exist at all any more, they most likely look like this.

The Fiat or the '59 Plymouth wagon in the backround???? Or the Bathtub Rambler American on the left side of Photo Hut????
Old May 31st, 2018, 02:27 PM

Film and print developing required chemicals that became expensive as well as being hazardous chemicals to be disposed of properly. Good camera's and lenses were expensive.
Digital allows the user to review and reshoot on the spot. Imperfections can be touched up. The pics are now from inkjet printers.
Even cellphones take great pics for printing.
Old June 1st, 2018, 06:19 AM

There is very little that can be done with film that cannot now be done with digital.

Assuming you have two cameras of identical lenses and attachments, and identical control capability, the only real difference is in the resolution and clarity of the image. On a day with zero haze and perfect contrast, in the sun, strapping in a roll of ISO 64 slow speed film would make slides that would make your eyes hurt they were so sharp. I think the best digitals are there now.

There is only one way a film camera can beat a digital. I have 50 year old Nikon Fs that, provided I could find film, would still make awesome pictures. My oldest digital camera is a 2006 that I have already had to have circuit boards replaced on. I will never expect a digital camera to last even ten years.
Old June 1st, 2018, 10:35 AM
71 cutlass convertible

There is only one way a film camera can beat a digital. I have 50 year old Nikon Fs that, provided I could find film, would still make awesome pictures. My oldest digital camera is a 2006 that I have already had to have circuit boards replaced on. I will never expect a digital camera to last even ten years.[/QUOTE]

The first Nikon F was tested with a robot that wound then fired the shutter. Some where after a million cycles the robot broke.

My father has my grandfather's F, it still works provided you have film.
Old June 1st, 2018, 03:30 PM

i go to a lot of estate sales, i am a camera "buff" not so much a film buff..i like gizmos..and some old old stuff is a mechanical marvel, i think..i dont collect brands..i collect ingenuity...or what strike me...i have shot a roll of film since high school...like 1982...i have blown thru a ton of polaroids

i buy everything thats cheap and i sell the crap out of them..and Large Format cameras are HOT HOT HOT...i sell all i can get...so I dunno..i dont think film/cameras are dying..i think its gone eccentric...and more hobby/collector driven..