The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Whats with all the Facebook uproar

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Whats with all the Facebook uproar

They didn't make this much of a fuss over the Equifax hack. Way more of a problem with privacy there.
Old April 12th, 2018, 03:54 PM

Well, at LEAST 87 MILLION people had their personal info parsed to use for nefarious purposes.
Old April 12th, 2018, 04:58 PM

Don't get me started on the Equifax. The company claims a data hack, offers a free check then tries to sell their own security package. Just seemed fishy to me. Plus, why would someone want to buy a security product from a company that had such a breech?
Old April 12th, 2018, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
They didn't make this much of a fuss over the Equifax hack. Way more of a problem with privacy there.
And then there was the federal government human resources hack, where ALL federal government employees, their families, and everyone that was included in the employee background checks (friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc) had their information stolen.
Old April 12th, 2018, 06:40 PM

That's why I use Experian.. Oh MySpace.. lol
Old April 13th, 2018, 04:38 AM

87 million people who put their lives all over the internet for everyone on the planet to look at & now they feel a lack of privacy? I guess it must be me that is just too dumb understand.

Last edited by bccan; April 13th, 2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old April 13th, 2018, 04:44 AM

funny [to me]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zuckerberg.jpg (30.9 KB, 32 views)
Old April 13th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by bccan
87 million people who put there lives all over the internet for everyone on the planet to look at & now they feel a lack of privacy?
I like your summary.

Facebook makes money selling personal information, but when someone steals the same information it is somehow a shock.

Many don't think independently and only follow what their friends do. The non-thinkers are now coming to feel a lack of privacy.
Old April 13th, 2018, 06:05 AM

What! I find your Star Trek meme offensive (since I'm such a Trekkie). Comparing Zuckerberg to Commander Data (aka. Brent Spiner) is sacrelige.

Really though, I thought about deleting my FB account and changing over to using cash only. Does anyone actually do this anymore? Cards are just so convienient.
Old April 13th, 2018, 06:06 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by bccan
87 million people who put there lives all over the internet for everyone on the planet to look at & now they feel a lack of privacy? I guess it must be me that is just too dumb understand.
Lolz nearly my exact words...
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:06 AM

I probably don't fully understand the situation, but I'm just wondering what all the fuss about. So facebook had user information stolen. What, exactly, does facebook know about you that's so awful to give out? They know your name, age, possibly your hometown, and your log-in info. So what. Your name and age are pretty easy to find out from lots of places. Facebook is not the kind of site where I've ever purchased anything and given them a credit card number of bank information.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What, exactly, does facebook know about you that's so awful to give out?
I think FB also has access to your browsing/demographic data. In other words, FB knows that I'm a middle aged male with disposable income that likes to browse for car and truck parts.
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
FB knows that I'm a middle aged male with disposable income that likes to browse for car and truck parts.
How does it know this? You don't browse for parts through the facebook site, do you? If it's reading your browser cookies, then, heck, most of the websites we visit have this information.
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jaunty75
How does it know this? You don't browse for parts through the facebook site, do you? If it's reading your browser cookies, then, heck, most of the websites we visit have this information.
Facebook is information based so they can feed you a constant barrage of useless recommended advertising. It monitors everything you click, like, and/or comment on. Yes you can turn off certain things, but you will still get nonsensical advertising. I think the biggest issue with FB is you cannot differentiate between the fact and fiction.

Anyway back to my original post, the equifax hack is a lot more serious with a lot less uproar.
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Anyway back to my original post, the equifax hack is a lot more serious with a lot less uproar.
Very true. So was the federal employee hack Fun71 mentioned. I was included in that as well.

I think the lack of uproar is because people have become immune to these. So many different places (Nordtrom, Target, Yahoo, Federal Government, now facebook, and more I'm not remembering) have been hacked without serious consequence to most of us that new stories about hacks are greeted with a yawn.

What protects us is safety in numbers. If your name, SSN, etc. was one of, say, three sets of personal info stolen from a site, you'd be worried. But when it's one of 100 million, the odds of your information actually being shared or used for nefarious purposes are very low.
Old April 13th, 2018, 02:03 PM
"me somebody" site member

I've never considered deleting my Facebook account...because I've never had one. I decided long ago that I can live out my life without knowing what the guy I sat next to in 9th grade biology class is having for breakfast.
Old April 13th, 2018, 04:04 PM

Same here.
Old April 13th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Administrator

The only reason I'm on FB is its easy to maintain events and notifications with our local car club and its members.
Old April 13th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Hookers under Hood

I don't have a Facebook page either, maybe its because I was born in the 60's. If someone wants to get a hold of me they can call, if they want to know what I been doing for the past week, they can stop by.
I do the same in return.
Old April 13th, 2018, 05:43 PM
72 Olds CS

Today's cartoon in the local paper...

Old April 14th, 2018, 01:47 PM

Old April 14th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Bfg

Cookoo for Cocoa Puffs!
Old April 15th, 2018, 04:58 PM

Old April 16th, 2018, 05:51 AM

Oops...
Old May 10th, 2018, 06:08 AM

Facebook has nothing on google as far as info goes. Google keeps track of all your searches, where you click and what you see. Ever notice you look at something then all the ads on the other pages seem to have some ad for what you searched for or what you looked at?

Google making the Internet creepy.
I started using a search engine called duckduckgo.com i'm sure they do some creeping too but at least claim they don't.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:30 PM

i hate the fact that i now feel like i need facebook to maintain my social calendar. it's how i remember everyone's birthdays and how everyone sends event invites nowadays. i stay off of it for the opinions and pointless status updates.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by nicholasC29
i hate the fact that i now feel like i need facebook to maintain my social calendar.
You bring up an unspoken truth. For everyone's rants against facebook and those claiming they can live without it, it's not just pointless opinions from people no one cares about.

As just one example, I've come across several old car clubs who do not maintain a separate website but have their online presence through facebook. If I want to interact with members of that club, trade pictures, seek and offer advice, keep up with club events, etc., etc., etc, which is not unlike what goes on at classicoldsmobile, I have to remain a member of facebook.

There are several Olds enthusiast groups on facebook, several of which I'm currently or have been a member of. You see some interesting cars and you hear from people you probably wouldn't otherwise hear from.

In short, for all of its warts, there are some aspects of life that you miss out on if you're not on facebook. None of life-or-death importance, of course, but just a few things to add a little more to your online existence.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:24 AM

The problem is that these website operators have declared themselves the arbiters of acceptable speech. Most of my speech is unacceptable, and I don't want some west coast, liberal, metrosexual, limp wristed atheist of questionable gender and preferences policing my written thoughts.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Koda
The problem is that these website operators have declared themselves the arbiters of acceptable speech. Most of my speech is unacceptable, and I don't want some west coast, liberal, metrosexual, limp wristed atheist of questionable gender and preferences policing my written thoughts.
This thread has nothing to do with this, follow along... First, the hack on facebook is insignificant compared to the hack on the credit reporting agencies. Who gave the credit reporting agencies the right to collect and store all of your personal info. And to my point is that all of your personal info is now available on the web due to a hack. It has to do with privacy, specifically who has the right/s to and why is your personal info allowed to be collected by outside companies within sites.
Old May 31st, 2018, 07:53 AM
delete

Originally Posted by RandyS
Well, at LEAST 87 MILLION people had their personal info parsed to use for nefarious purposes.
Why is it nefarious when the Trump campaign data mines but the Obama campaign was praised for it? Anybody who thought there was any illusion of privacy on FB was stupid or willfully ignorant.

Also, just to be clear, the data wasn't stolen. FB wrote a sloppy contract that allowed more access than they realized, or so they say.