The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

New family truckster

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2018, 12:08 PM

New family truckster

Well, I went and lost my mind! I bought my first Chrysler product. I have not been happy with the GMC Acadia since we got it. It did not really give us trouble but I just feel it is a pile of junk. Everything on it just felt cheaply made. My wife decided she wanted another van and since the Silhouette has not been made for 14 years, we went with a 2015 Town & Country. I hear horror stories about the electrical in Chrysler products but thought we would risk it. The thing is loaded with everything other than a sun roof and only has 30,000 miles on it. I can't even figure out how to turn on the radio or use half of the features.

Anyone have good or bad experience with the newer Town & Country's?
Old March 29th, 2018, 12:45 PM

A friend of mine bought a T&C a few years back and I was pretty impressed by the fit and finish......

Back in the 90's everyone with kids in the military had a Chrysler/Dodge minivan and love 'em or hate 'em.....most seemed to survive pretty well despite being used and abused. My mother in law is still driving her 2001 and other than routine mx and crappy paint, it's held up well.

Cheers,

Troy
Old March 29th, 2018, 01:28 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Well, I went and lost my mind! I bought my first Chrysler product. I have not been happy with the GMC Acadia since we got it. It did not really give us trouble but I just feel it is a pile of junk. Everything on it just felt cheaply made. My wife decided she wanted another van and since the Silhouette has not been made for 14 years, we went with a 2015 Town & Country. I hear horror stories about the electrical in Chrysler products but thought we would risk it. The thing is loaded with everything other than a sun roof and only has 30,000 miles on it. I can't even figure out how to turn on the radio or use half of the features.

Anyone have good or bad experience with the newer Town & Country's?
You both will love it for your vacation and general around town shopping, etc. Those stow and go seats were something else. We had a 2011. Was the first year for the new style. Was a Grand Caravan Crew though. Did have a no start in it once but it turned out to be a bad cell in the battery. They towed it which was stupid in my opinion. Anyway, covered under warranty.

Good news with the 2015 is that it is 5yr/100k miles for the powertrain. The 2016s went to 5yr/60k. Depends when it was first entered into service, but you may or may not need the extra on that warranty. That was the only warranty issue we had. Put about 25k on it before trading if I remember right.

You may want to get some good winter tires on it when the snow hits. I had ours up north on the factory tires when the snow hit and it was crap. Or at least get something on it besides the factory rubber, if not snow tires. That's if the 2015 had the same tires on it as the 2011s.

But overall you both will like it. Roomy and modern. Hit the button and the hatch opens up. Buttons for the sliding doors. Remote start. Etc. Lots for the money on these and the power isn't too bad either.
Old March 29th, 2018, 01:45 PM

Good luck to you on your T&C, but remember this phrase
Fix It Again Tony.
Old March 29th, 2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30

Good news with the 2015 is that it is 5yr/100k miles for the powertrain. The 2016s went to 5yr/60k. Depends when it was first entered into service, but you may or may not need the extra on that warranty. That was the only warranty issue we had. Put about 25k on it before trading if I remember right.

You may want to get some good winter tires on it when the snow hits. I had ours up north on the factory tires when the snow hit and it was crap. Or at least get something on it besides the factory rubber, if not snow tires. That's if the 2015 had the same tires on it as the 2011s.

It was put into service in September of 15. The previous owner already changed the tires to a nice new set of Michelins.
Old March 29th, 2018, 02:27 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
It was put into service in September of 15. The previous owner already changed the tires to a nice new set of Michelins.
Good news on both points. You have about 2.5 years to put about 70k miles on it then. But anyway, it is always a nice feeling to know that the mileage won't be an issue.

Plus by 2015 they definitely had the bugs worked out of the 3.6 engine/trans. Ours was the first year for that combo in that van. Some complaints at the time I remember. People saying they were having problems with it searching for the right gear. But like I said, probably not an issue by 2015. Search the TSBs online and see what they have. Probably not much.
Old March 30th, 2018, 04:36 AM

Before my Dad passed away a couple of years ago and while he was still feeling good, he insisted that my Mom needed to have a new car to drive when he was gone. He was 90 at the time. They went out and bought a brand new Chrysler T & C. My Mon passed away just a little over a year after my Dad so it didn't get used much. It had about 9000 miles on it at the time.

When my brothers and I settled their estate (it went great thank God. That can get really ugly) I took the van as part of my portion. We flew to Wisconsin and drove the van back to Georgia last year. It was the first time I had ever driven one and it didn't take me very long to realize I had made a mistake.

It was really windy all the way back and at freeway speed it developed an almost ear splitting whistle that we never could find. I mad the 1200 mile drive miserable. My other big issue was the seats. I'm a pretty big guy and I could just never get comfortable. On the plus side it got good mileage and ran well with no issues but I found I just couldn't drive it. Had it about 6 weeks and traded it in on a new Ford F150. Being my parents last vehicle I felt like kind of a schmuck doing it but I just couldn't see ever getting comfortable in it

Your experience will certainly be different than mine and I wish the best with it.
Old March 30th, 2018, 09:05 AM

My brother has a newer Chrysler van and is happy with it. It has the Stow-n-Go center seats which are very helpful when he is out and finds an unexpected item he wants. With the seats stowed into the floor, the useful cargo space is much more than it would be if the seats only folded forward or up against the front seats. Even though they have an abundant amount of technology & design features, the newer GM vehicles for some reason do not have the same craftsmanship of prior years.

Last edited by anthonyP; March 30th, 2018 at 09:11 AM.