The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

What else can go wrong.....

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2018, 11:38 PM

What else can go wrong.....

First in last April my home heating and air went out after 40 yrs. then in May my water heater went out I tried to fix myself it worked for a week then went out again so I called the plumber to fix another $300. in June my wife was doing some church work and had my pickup loaded with bags to the mobile homes and backed my truck in backwards hitting my garage door putting a real bad dent. So I called to get it fixed $1200 he says, I said what can you do just fix it, he says yes $300 later. Now my trucks water pump went out so I looked on Ebay for a pump $63 for a LS pump so I went to Auto Zone they wanted $113 so I bought one from a LA, Ca. store and I'm in Nor Cal so just a 3 day trip. I get a reply they are out so their N J store is sending one out like 10 days Fed-Ex WOW. I reply to him he said he will give me $5. back into Pay Pal. On Monday my fridge went out so I asked around no luck so I called PG and E here in Calif. they said on Thur. they will send a guy out to replace it at no cost maybe. I just took all food out of the fridge and left the ice box closed it seemed it still was cold. I checked today all is still froze go figure. Just so tired of all this. I had 10 percent disabled getting out of the Army in 1969 but Pres. Regan took me off it so after all these years I'm re-applying for it again. They said they have no records of me collecting 10% so I went with Agent Orange as they sprayed in Korea when I was there so I get a reply to come in and get checked on it. I'm retired so money is tight here.
Gerald
What next ?
just venting
Old February 15th, 2018, 03:22 AM

Sounds like you have all the bad luck out of the way, only thing left is good luck! wait for it, it will swing your way, I know , I hit the same patch of bad luck now and then, it gets better.
Old February 15th, 2018, 03:26 AM
CutOvers Olds Parts Guys

Hold on. Be strong. It always gets greater later

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
First in last April my home heating and air went out after 40 yrs. then in May my water heater went out I tried to fix myself it worked for a week then went out again so I called the plumber to fix another $300. in June my wife was doing some church work and had my pickup loaded with bags to the mobile homes and backed my truck in backwards hitting my garage door putting a real bad dent. So I called to get it fixed $1200 he says, I said what can you do just fix it, he says yes $300 later. Now my trucks water pump went out so I looked on Ebay for a pump $63 for a LS pump so I went to Auto Zone they wanted $113 so I bought one from a LA, Ca. store and I'm in Nor Cal so just a 3 day trip. I get a reply they are out so their N J store is sending one out like 10 days Fed-Ex WOW. I reply to him he said he will give me $5. back into Pay Pal. On Monday my fridge went out so I asked around no luck so I called PG and E here in Calif. they said on Thur. they will send a guy out to replace it at no cost maybe. I just took all food out of the fridge and left the ice box closed it seemed it still was cold. I checked today all is still froze go figure. Just so tired of all this. I had 10 percent disabled getting out of the Army in 1969 but Pres. Regan took me off it so after all these years I'm re-applying for it again. They said they have no records of me collecting 10% so I went with Agent Orange as they sprayed in Korea when I was there so I get a reply to come in and get checked on it. I'm retired so money is tight here.
Gerald
What next ?
just venting
Gerald life gives us all kinds of lemons. But that lemonade afterwards always tastes good. Here's to you and hopefully good times ahead in the near future.
Old February 15th, 2018, 07:28 AM

First in last April my home heating and air went out after 40 yrs.
Your heating plant lasted 40 years? I wouldn't call that bad luck. Nothing lasts forever, and most furnaces and such will last half that long. Count your lucky stars that you got that much life out of it as that is most certainly not the norm.

Let's look at your timeline here.

April 2017: heating plant goes out after 40 years of service (nothing to complain about here)
June 2017: wife dents truck
February 2018: truck's water pump fails (how old was it?)
February 2018: refrigerator goes out (how old was it?)

These problems have been spread out over the course of nearly a year, not all at once, which is the way it comes across when you pile them all up in one long paragraph. To me it sounds like normal life events, not a sudden onslaught of catastrophe. Other than the truck dent, these are parts or things that wear out and can be expected to need to be repaired or replaced from time to time. We certainly can all appreciate the costs of home and vehicle ownership. But that's what you sign up for when take those on.

I'm not saying I don't have sympathy for you. No one likes unexpected repair bills. But that's life.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 15th, 2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:33 PM

the bright side is, it always seems to get taken care of somehow. life still goes on as we know it,just inconvenienced for a bit, and frustrated. and quite possibly broke till the next check comes in.i see where you're coming from, its happened to me too(not my furnace..yet its 37). all this over a year doesn't look too bad until we see just how fast a year goes as as we get older. hope things go better for you soon Gerald.
Old February 15th, 2018, 12:35 PM

Good news today. the power company came bye today and we talked and they are giving us a new fridge in 3 weeks so living out of a ice chest till then. And I'm going in next week to a VA doctor for a check up maybe something will come from that like $$$ as I need it soon. I can handle one thing a year but all in one year OUCH !!!
Gerald
Old February 15th, 2018, 01:24 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I can feel for you. Last week I had my heat pump replaced. This week I broke a tooth and got a crown.

Now that I am a King maybe my wife will listen to me. But I doubt it.
Old February 15th, 2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I can feel for you. Last week I had my heat pump replaced. This week I broke a tooth and got a crown.

Now that I am a King maybe my wife will listen to me. But I doubt it.
HaHa, are you still on the Nitrous........LOL
Old February 15th, 2018, 03:11 PM

I'm on a fixed income so I sell my parts for extra money just didn't see all this coming. I wish it was just a dream and I would wake up and I won the lotto. Not happening soon.
Old February 16th, 2018, 05:24 AM

And I'm going in next week to a VA doctor for a check up maybe something will come from that like $$$ as I need it soon. I can handle one thing a year but all in one year OUCH !!!
Gerald
Gerald, I suggest you contact the VFW or American Legion for help navigating your VA claim. Where are you located? There are generally volunteer offices at all of the big VA hospitals.

Actually, this is a necessity more than a suggestion. I was rated by the VA when I ETSed from the U.S. Army in 2008. I was one of the lucky ones and was able to get a service connected disabilty rating within a year of ETSing.

I know what you mean about life giving you lemons sometimes. I hope things get better for you soon. We're rooting for you.
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:03 AM

Maybe it's karma! But...hey...just to help you out, I'll give you $100.00 for your truck, that's my offer.
Old February 16th, 2018, 09:56 AM

NO, but you would have to wait 2 weeks for a water pump like I am. Thanks for the help but I'm going to Oakland this 22 to see a Doctor for my VA. I'm using a VA rep. right now.
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:55 PM

Hoping all goes well with doctor visit. Things will be better once the new refrigerator is delivered and the water pump is received. Sometimes things just seem to pile up, but then you get a stretch of good times.