The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Hip replacement. Should I do it?

Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:28 AM

Hip replacement. Should I do it?

Had xrays and MRI Hip degeneration. Also back L3 L4 L5 and 5-1 or S1 . I have pain in lower back right hip right groin and sometimes whole leg. Can be painful going up or down steps and hills. Pain when lifting or lowering leg if crossing ankle over knee. Pain moving knee in or out. Grinding and poping sounds at times. Primary care doc says it is bone on bone and recomends replacement. Ortho appt in 2 weeks. I can still touch my toes and golf and scuba. Didn't ride motorcycle for fear of not being able to hold it up when pain is severe. Primary doc said even with replacement I will still have lower back pain due to the back, but a lot of pain will go away. What is it like after recovery of a hip replacement.? Will I still be able to touch my toes, golf and scuba? I guess it is time to sell the motorcycle. If you have had a replacement can you tell me what it is like after recovery and how long does that take? thanks
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:35 AM

I hope you get good advice from your doctors. A joint replacement is definitely major surgery.

FWIW, I have a friend that just had a hip replacement and he is very satisfied with the results. He is no longer afflicted with daily pain and is still an active hiker. Good luck!
Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:49 AM

A friend had the hip replacement and he is doing fine. Do what you have to do. OH, and they do make side cars for motorcycles.
Good luck,
Ralph
Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:54 AM

I cannot speak from first hand knowledge. I would certainly research it well, and maybe get second opinions. Also research the doctors and facility involved. If you do it, try to get the best in your area. These days it is almost like doing research to hire a contractor.
For myself, I plan on enduring as much pain possible and not doing anything major until it has a major impact on my quality of life before I would do it.

Good luck and wishes for whatever you decide.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:57 AM

I had my right hip done 3 years ago, and it was a breeze (like you, it was bone on bone). Up walking on it the next day, and home later that afternoon. Pain was tolerable with meds but only needed them for a few days. After 2 weeks I was pain free and released for full activity. I used to have back problems my entire life, many, many visits to the chiro. Since my hip replacement, I no longer have any back problems. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
The one piece of advice I would offer is be sure you have the best surgeon possible perform the procedure. Insure that Hips and Knees are their specialty. The surgeon that did mine in Boise only did Hips and Knees, and he is an expert. (probably one of the best in the country). Best of luck with a speedy recovery!
Old January 2nd, 2018, 01:28 PM
Cory

I had the L3 L4 L5 and S1 back surgery in 2010 due to constant back, hip and leg pain - at times excruciating - by a NEURO-SURGEON. While not pain free, the pain is only occasional and minor.

My 45 y/o son. Same surgery 2 years ago. Not as fortunate - still had chronic pain. Then had an elctro stimulator implanted and he is now pain FREE.

Four months ago I used an external electro-stimulator on chronic neck pain for three 15 minute sessions. I have been pain free since the treatment.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:17 PM

I have had both hips replaced (and both knees also). Hips are good, no pain and I don't think about them much anymore so they are probably better than I remember. The knees not so much. Can't walk far and I will occasionally use a cane on rough ground. It's still better than before the surgery because life was miserable and no fun then.

Your body will tell you when it's time but if you are like most of us you will postpone the surgery longer than is smart. We do get uses to pain and forget what a good feeling pain free really is.

My only suggestion to you would at do everything you can tolerate on your rehab exercises (they will show you what to do ), more if you pain tolerance is high it will make a huge difference on the amount of time it takes to rehab and give you better articulation when you are finished. Many people put off their exercise at first because it hurts and never recover properly.

Best of luck...... Tedd
Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:21 PM

I had my knees done a few years ago. Lots of pain before, but after almost pain free. I can't do everything I did before, but am at 90% of what it was like when my knees were good. My main thought, I should have done it sooner. I put up with at least a couple years of pain before I had it done. I know half a dozen people who've had it done and all are glad they did.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:58 PM

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...132048778.html check this out before you have it done.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...132048778.html check this out before you have it done.
My surgeon uses a similar system that incorporates a computer program to precisely place the cup.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:44 PM

One should always get the best medical, legal, and roofing help one can.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:15 AM

surgery alternative

Go to criticalhealthnews.com and do some reading, there may be a natural health way to rebuild those conditions. Healthy bone and joint pack, etc.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:54 AM

Supplements are wonderful, but I don't think there is currently any way to rebuild the cartilage in a knee or hip joint.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:08 PM

If they would just put a grease fitting in the joints, with proper maintenance they would not wear out.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
If they would just put a grease fitting in the joints, with proper maintenance they would not wear out.
^^^
This!!!!!!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:10 PM

There's only one anatomical feature I know of that is self-greasing, and I have tried to wear a few of them out.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:18 PM

I think you know the answer to your hip replacement, your just having second thoughts. I’ve heard hips are much easier and less painful than knee replacements. As far as the bike goes, wait and see. Unless you need the money to pay for the hip IMO.

Good luck!
Old January 4th, 2018, 07:27 AM

rebuilding

Cannot be rebuilt, well Dr. Joel Wallich would disagree with you as do I. I am living and walking proof otherwise. The proper grease and maintaining is the mighty ninety nutrients and minerals required by the body on a daily basis. Go do some reading or call the number on that site that I suggested and speak with someone about your condition.
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:11 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

My wife had a new hip a few years ago and it transformed her life. No more chronic pain, after a couple of months she could enjoy riding her bicycle again.

I looked up criticalhealthnews.com.. Maybe it worked for Majic Jack, but I thought it a shill for various so called health supplements. And clearly ill informed on how air conditioning systems work. Any peer reviewed authenticated articles from the medical profession available?.

Roger.
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:18 AM

I also thought that it wasn't possible to rebuild cartilage in joints. Apparnetly, there are methods out there though. It might be worth asking your doctor about this procedure:

https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis...lage-to-regrow
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:33 AM

I stand corrected, that procedure looks very promising.
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:43 AM

Well, arthroscopy isn't supplements or homeopathic medicine, but it's cool what they can do now.
Old January 4th, 2018, 01:06 PM

Second thoughts, yes,, chicken chit,yes a wuss ,yes. Like a dumb **** I watched a video of the procedure. It looks to be just a little bit shy of an amputation. UGH. I have an unatural fear of hospitals docs and the like. I sholdn't, the hospital saved me when I had a bleed in the small intestine last summer. 2 emergency room visits with 3 day stay each time over a period of less than 2 weeks and 9 pints of blood. The last stay was 3 scopes from the top and 3 from the butt and multiple other tests and they still found nothing same as the 1st 3 day stay. Finaly they went in with a longer scope from the mouth and found a bleeder in the small intestine. They welded it up and things have been good since. A buddy had the hip replacement and now he has one leg longer than the other and nerve damage. He had it done at the VA. I have asked a lot of people around here who is a good doc and the same name pops up often. This is the guy I will be seeing in about a week. He also did a few scopes on my knees and they went well. He also was the doc that put the plate and screws in my broken ankle which went good. I will ask about the cartlidge replacement. I see him mid Jan. Decision after that. I just don't want to be worse off after and from what I see here from guys that did it the results seem good. Thanks for the posts.
Old January 5th, 2018, 02:52 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

My wife also now has one leg slightly longer than the other.
But she is quite adamant that the trade off for being out of pain is a no brainer.

Roger.
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by stellar
A buddy had the hip replacement and now he has one leg longer than the other and nerve damage. He had it done at the VA.
That's a bummer that the VA let down your friend. Don't let that discourage you from a procedure that you and your doctor are planning. Let us know what you decide. Thoughts and prayers your way!
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:59 AM

With any surgery, there is a risk. BTW I am not a doctor for my two cents worth.

If you are finding yourself limited in what you can do pain free, I would get it done. Preferably in a season where you are limited with doing much, that way you can recoup and be ready for the active season.

The longer you put it off, most likely the worse it will get. Bone on Bone? Yeah about time...
Ask about the surgeon doing it, get people to call whom have had this procedure done by that doctor. How many foul ups. Make sure you are comfortable with the work he has done in the past.

My Dad had a hip surgery done in no where ville Iowa, in a small country hospital that could offer the facility for the procedure. But had no ability to handle "complications."
I counciled against that, got to a bigger city hospital with the facilities for the possibility of complications. His Dr. didn't have the best track record either.
There were "major complications" that almost killed him, and have left him with pain in that leg for rest of his life...
Know the doctor, get the track record, talk to former patients. By God go to a bigger hospital
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:42 AM

I'm 77 now and had both hips replaced back in my 60s and would do it again. I worked in hospital administration and had good contacts (surgery nurses) who knew which surgeons had the best results and went with their recommendations. Before that I put up with pain for two years, did the chiropractor and did physical therapy. Both a waste of time and money. A simple xray can diagnose bad hip joints. I'd choose a surgeon who is conservative and uses proven methodology over one who chases the latest greatest new procedures and parts. It pays to do your research on line as the state of the art in parts and surgical approaches continually improves. As others have suggested get an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hips and just as importantly get it done in a hospital that has a joint replacement program. The best hip surgeons will cluster in hospitals that cater to their specialty.

One more thing, if you are on pain medicine now get off it no matter how painful for at least a couple of weeks before your hip surgery or the post operative pain meds will not be very effective in the quantities they are allowed to prescribe. And, as others have noted get on your post operative rehab exercises and do them faithfully no matter how much it hurts. Your end results will be better.
Jerry